PDA

View Full Version : Rossetta Stoned = Gaping Lotus Experience 2006

holotrope
04-30-2006, 07:19 AM
I hear a lot of Third Eye comparisons, and I think RS is a great foil for Third Eye, and definitely uses music devices to remind you of it, but I take the message of the song as being closer to that of the Gaping Lotus Experience, even though that's kind of a joke track.

Discuss.

M.Luther
04-30-2006, 05:18 PM
bah how could i forget the gaping lotus experience?
RS is very similar in the approach but the message is easier to connect with.

BDT
04-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Gaping lotus experience is a great track, I havent heard rossetta stoned so I cant make the comparison.

anajberg
04-30-2006, 09:06 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure I really see the comparison. Yes, superficially TGLE and Rosetta Stoned both deal with extreme experiences with psychotropic substances, but I kind of think the connection ends there. There is no sense of purpose to TGLE like there is in the drive and tension of Rosetta Stoned - as is sentiment of boredom voiced at the end of TGLE. The connection with Third Eye is so much stronger, particularly since the two songs share significant portions of melody.

holotrope
05-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Definitely mood/music wise, the Third Eye connection is spot on, but in the gaping lotus experience, I always got the feeling that he was saying "if you do drugs till they're boring, your experience will not be valuable" and in RS he's saying "if you do drugs without knowing what you're doing, you may have the experience, but again it will not be valuable," to put it all very crudely.