Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
holotrope's Avatar holotrope
04-30-2006, 07:19 AM

I hear a lot of Third Eye comparisons, and I think RS is a great foil for Third Eye, and definitely uses music devices to remind you of it, but I take the message of the song as being closer to that of the Gaping Lotus Experience, even though that's kind of a joke track.

Discuss.
Help people, you lazy bum
Old 04-30-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 21
Rossetta Stoned = Gaping Lotus Experience 2006

I hear a lot of Third Eye comparisons, and I think RS is a great foil for Third Eye, and definitely uses music devices to remind you of it, but I take the message of the song as being closer to that of the Gaping Lotus Experience, even though that's kind of a joke track.

Discuss.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
M.Luther's Avatar M.Luther
04-30-2006, 05:18 PM

bah how could i forget the gaping lotus experience?
RS is very similar in the approach but the message is easier to connect with.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261
Re: Rossetta Stoned = Gaping Lotus Experience 2006

bah how could i forget the gaping lotus experience?
RS is very similar in the approach but the message is easier to connect with.
BDT's Avatar BDT
04-30-2006, 05:20 PM

Gaping lotus experience is a great track, I havent heard rossetta stoned so I cant make the comparison.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
BDT
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Gaping lotus experience is a great track, I havent heard rossetta stoned so I cant make the comparison.
anajberg
04-30-2006, 09:06 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure I really see the comparison. Yes, superficially TGLE and Rosetta Stoned both deal with extreme experiences with psychotropic substances, but I kind of think the connection ends there. There is no sense of purpose to TGLE like there is in the drive and tension of Rosetta Stoned - as is sentiment of boredom voiced at the end of TGLE. The connection with Third Eye is so much stronger, particularly since the two songs share significant portions of melody.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

To be honest, I'm not sure I really see the comparison. Yes, superficially TGLE and Rosetta Stoned both deal with extreme experiences with psychotropic substances, but I kind of think the connection ends there. There is no sense of purpose to TGLE like there is in the drive and tension of Rosetta Stoned - as is sentiment of boredom voiced at the end of TGLE. The connection with Third Eye is so much stronger, particularly since the two songs share significant portions of melody.
holotrope's Avatar holotrope
05-01-2006, 02:00 AM

Definitely mood/music wise, the Third Eye connection is spot on, but in the gaping lotus experience, I always got the feeling that he was saying "if you do drugs till they're boring, your experience will not be valuable" and in RS he's saying "if you do drugs without knowing what you're doing, you may have the experience, but again it will not be valuable," to put it all very crudely.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:00 AM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 21

Definitely mood/music wise, the Third Eye connection is spot on, but in the gaping lotus experience, I always got the feeling that he was saying "if you do drugs till they're boring, your experience will not be valuable" and in RS he's saying "if you do drugs without knowing what you're doing, you may have the experience, but again it will not be valuable," to put it all very crudely.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply