PDA

View Full Version : Possibley the worst TOOL song ever?

Pages : [1] 2

researchtriangle
04-19-2006, 02:27 PM
?? thoughts?

robyeah1
04-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Best.

Dolophane
04-19-2006, 02:29 PM
No.

I think people have said that about every song they've made, it kinda loses meaning the millionth time around...

Nemesis
04-19-2006, 02:31 PM
?? thoughts?

You got to be kidding, this is my favourite, the aggression!

How can you not love the part 'you believe me, don't you?, please believe what I just said....'

This will go off live!

rochey-o
04-19-2006, 02:32 PM
you could be right..

bogsnarth
04-19-2006, 02:33 PM
what is the deal with all the hyperbolic decrying of this album? everybody keeps saying "worst ever" about various aspects of it.. i just don't get it.

dracomordag
04-19-2006, 02:35 PM
it's probably my least favorite on the album, but it's still pretty good.

that section in 11 where maynard goes "strapped down... etc... shit the bed" is pretty cool. despite defecation.

scabbyeggs
04-19-2006, 02:36 PM
this is one of the best songs I've ever heard

amazing

Viginti Tres
04-19-2006, 02:37 PM
worst tool song ever is useful idiot...=]

xpandnz
i listened to this song on the bus with headphones. i was so scared. its insane! totally awesome. Reminds me of Frank Zappa VS Tool!

eulogy508
I hate this song, please tell me it's a hoax

Shit the bed! Hah

Tw1ster
04-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, im not a drug user but itd be a sweet song to hear on acid haha...i think the voices would drive a crack head to death

trickma
04-19-2006, 03:11 PM
After one listen, i almost skipped this song half way through. There are some interesting ideas nearing the end but honestly this song is way to strange and different for me to grasp atm.

But hey third eye was exactly the same case so I'm going to digest and digest some more before saying it sucks. Oo

Nebel
04-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Fucking brutal, crazy song, love it!

Tw1ster
04-19-2006, 03:19 PM
After one listen, i almost skipped this song half way through. There are some interesting ideas nearing the end but honestly this song is way to strange and different for me to grasp atm.

But hey third eye was exactly the same case so I'm going to digest and digest some more before saying it sucks. Oo

haha yeah man, to this day im still digesting "Third eye"....only Tool can do that

splints
04-19-2006, 03:20 PM
this is fucking rad

Amalexus
04-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Try listening to it more than 10 times. Thats the nature of tool.

P.s Possibly is spelt wrong.

HolyReality
04-19-2006, 03:23 PM
yeah, this song got me on like the third listen. initially there's just too much going on....but once I got it...truly amazing. a great combination of styles and hilarious lyrics.

hbynoe
04-19-2006, 03:24 PM
haha yeah man, to this day im still digesting "Third eye"....only Tool can do that
agreed man :)

SigSegV
04-19-2006, 03:33 PM
what is the deal with all the hyperbolic decrying of this album? everybody keeps saying "worst ever" about various aspects of it.. i just don't get it.

The reason is people don't admit it, but they want Tool to record the same shit over and over. Well, I'm not talking about everybody here, but people who don't want to see Tool evolve.

The song kicks ass by the way.

voleurz
04-19-2006, 03:35 PM
hahah

that was funny.

hi-5

Scrotophagus
04-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Nowhere near the worst. Judging Tool songs is not a good idea until you've had many listens over time.

babbletonic
04-19-2006, 05:52 PM

are you KIDDING?!?! Useful Idiot is actually one of my favorite "segues" ever, shit.
It says so much without saying anything at all. Plus, "Cesaro" is fucking annoying.

On a totally opposite note, yeah, I did think this was a horrible song after like 2 listens. But now I've heard it about 4 more reluctant times, and I have to say this song is actually quite good, and probably one of my favorites on the album. Kinda weird, but isn't that what makes tool so good?

MasterOfKtulu109
04-19-2006, 06:00 PM

exactly. i think this is the 'third eye' of the album. I think this song could literally take months to appreciate.

I don't force myself a song. i will like it when i am ready to like it. It took me months to like 'the patient' also.

a788
04-19-2006, 06:02 PM
why the hell would you start a thread like this? keep your it to yourself. no one cares if you think its the worst tool song ever.

and dont say that you are curious bc there are enough ppl here to say they agree with you and disagree.

researchtriangle
04-19-2006, 06:14 PM
i have every right to start this thread. no one cares that someone thinks the guitar on jambi is 'amazing' or that the pot is 'totally kickass lol'. no one can admit to themselves that this album blows.

voleurz
04-19-2006, 06:34 PM
i have every right to start this thread. no one cares that someone thinks the guitar on jambi is 'amazing' or that the pot is 'totally kickass lol'. no one can admit to themselves that this album blows.
yEah ThiSAlBum TotaLY Bloes Lol!!!111oneoneone

im gunna go listewn to american idiot an dbe hardcore like them what with the deep meaning and what not

zee deveel 17
04-19-2006, 08:07 PM
this is not only the worst song from tool, but one of the worst songs from any band that i have ever been an avid fan of. this sounds like nu-metal crap. i still can't understand how people can appreciate a track that sounds like slipknot and attempts to be so incoherent that its nauseating. i don't know what the guys were thinking when they recorded this track. i'll only be able to forgive them over time for this.

Xanatos
04-19-2006, 08:25 PM
While I am not sure if this is the worst Tool song ever (10,000 days has 8 actual songs you know), I can say that I hate this one.

At about the 1-2 min. mark I thought to myself, "How the hell do they plan on dragging this crap out for another 9-10 min?", but they did.

zee deveel 17
04-19-2006, 08:43 PM
it's the most incoherent and annoying song from them

T-13h
04-19-2006, 08:45 PM

|
|
|
V

Wu-Li Novice
04-19-2006, 09:02 PM
perfect deviation.

bonus.cheese
04-19-2006, 09:11 PM
this is not only the worst song from tool, but one of the worst songs from any band that i have ever been an avid fan of. this sounds like nu-metal crap. i still can't understand how people can appreciate a track that sounds like slipknot and attempts to be so incoherent that its nauseating. i don't know what the guys were thinking when they recorded this track. i'll only be able to forgive them over time for this.

qft... sorta. Well let me listen to it some more.

T-13h
04-19-2006, 09:13 PM
I love this song. Captures the ravings of a mad man...

prime weed
04-19-2006, 09:42 PM
it sounds like the guitar riff from "H"
but it keep building up and gets better and better

gerbil
04-20-2006, 04:50 AM

Welcome to internet fandom.

blair's man sausage
04-20-2006, 04:53 AM

Shit the bed! Hah

it seems people have never heard the phrase shit the bed=i fucked up

quick analogy...in golf, you are a putt away form birdie yet you 3 putt, you have just shit the bed

BlindVisionary
04-20-2006, 04:57 AM
I'm starting to like this song, so many elements it will take forever to appreciate...It's like everything they've ever done in one song...

vagina patterson
04-20-2006, 05:26 AM
OK here's my thoughts - for a long time my only beef with Tool was that sometimes it's like they're stuck up their own ass trying to be all cryptic and mysterious. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the weird song titles and lyrics.. but to a certain degree. This song (and a few others like The Pot, to me, are like a fuck you to anyone who thinks the band takes themselves to seriously). The lyrics are hilariously weird and besides that, I think the song just fucking rocks ass. But what do I know... this is my first post here (did I do good?????///)

Vegama
04-20-2006, 05:32 AM
Third eye had been my favorite song for an eternity. This will hold hands with it among my most listened.

RED_THE_HAT
04-20-2006, 05:37 AM
I like this song. This song makes me horny.

Rubb.
04-20-2006, 05:38 AM
me too. we should listen to it together.

RED_THE_HAT
04-20-2006, 05:44 AM
ummm, no...

Rubb.
04-20-2006, 05:47 AM
:(

Bob_Marley_Wannabe
04-20-2006, 05:48 AM

originality is a bitch huh

bonus.cheese
04-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Lost keys builds this up so well! It blends in great, but the first few minutes of this song just don't work for me. The main riff/verse doesn't hold up to the build up that lost keys put on it. Only some parts manage to. "God damn, shit the bed", I think that speaks for itself.

Could have been so much better, it had the potential. All in my opinion, of course.

amitface
04-20-2006, 07:28 AM
This song is awesome. Took me by surprise at first, and had mixed feelings about the vocals. But fuck, it's a fun song.

sleaz1
04-20-2006, 08:07 AM
This song is growing on me like third eye did. Except this one did it on the second listen, third eye took a bit longer.

Vegama
04-20-2006, 08:11 AM
This song is simply amazing. Everything about it is awesome.

amitface
04-20-2006, 08:12 AM
This song is growing on me like third eye did. Except this one did it on the second listen, third eye took a bit longer.

heh, Third Eye took me a few years. I hated that song when I first listened to it. It's not my favorite.

I have a feeling this album will have some of those, though not as extreme.

Sea of Lies
04-20-2006, 08:53 AM
This is my least favorite in the album and i'm actually skipping it every time.. but it's just because of the way maynard sings... i mean it's cool he tries new stuff but hsi singing is so.. nu metal. Then i hear all the album and it's like this song is a COVER of a song by the "rosetta stone" band and maynard trying to imitate their singer (i havent heard them and i know thy're goth, not nu metal, im just making an analogy)...

But actually, i only hate the first part, that low and fast singing. Everything else in the song is awesome...

zee deveel 17
04-20-2006, 09:17 AM
originality is a bitch huh

sounding like corey taylor isn't original

Zli 0bucjar
04-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Rosetta Stoned is one of better songs from this totaly average album...
at least it's not ambiental one-tone w/some-shitty-effect shit

Juanjay
04-20-2006, 10:24 AM
I actually like it the best out of all the tracks I heard.

KeithLD50
04-20-2006, 10:26 AM
This is one of my 5 favorite TOOL songs ever period. The part from 8:35 to 9:15 is some of the best I have ever heard....

NAILS
04-20-2006, 05:36 PM
I don't like this album.. But this song.. Is one of my favorite songs period.

max
04-20-2006, 05:59 PM

no. cesaro summability.

and rosetta stoned is one of my favorite songs off the album.

xpandnz
04-20-2006, 06:09 PM
personally i am falling in love with song each time i listen to it.
its fucking awesome!

Systolic
04-20-2006, 06:10 PM
I didnt like it too much at first, but it does kick some serious ass....

jAkUp
04-20-2006, 06:11 PM
My favortite song on the album

Madrid
04-20-2006, 09:37 PM
I remember, after listening to it with my best friend, we both said...

"Whoa, nice to see something out-date Third Eye."

Serious, it has the intensity, the longevity and the frantic/mysterious vibe that Third Eye had.

NateDaTater
04-20-2006, 09:38 PM
This track might be okay if...

1.) Maynard took it seriously. I feel like it was a decent song that was shit all over with absolutely terrible lyrics with no point, much less any depth. Like Vicarious, but worse.

2.) It was shorter. It just wanders around, building to nothing, and not holding my attention past the 3 minute mark. I actually have to force myself to listen to it all the way through and not skip ahead to Intension/Right In Two.

3.) It wasn't so obviously a rehash of everything else Tool has done, specifically Third Eye.

I just skip it. I'd rather have had two Parabola's or two Forty Six & 2's, because those are what this album needed. More songs.

Madrid
04-20-2006, 09:47 PM
1.) Have you EVER heard Gaping Lotus experience or Hooker with a Penis?
2.) Yes, let's make Tool songs shorter.
3.) A re-hash? A Re-Hash of everything Tool has done? That would imply that either "everything Tool has done is nearly the same"... or "This song spans the music, attitude, humor, intensity and seriousness that Tool has ever had" which in any case... is not a bad thing.

Tw1ster
04-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Rosetta Stoned is amazing...the one line t hat can put you in a whole different environment is "You believe me don't you?...I dont know why but that line sends chills through me, I just picture trying to be believed yet knowing they dont believe a damned thing...feels like shit

NateDaTater
04-20-2006, 11:09 PM
1.) Have you EVER heard Gaping Lotus experience or Hooker with a Penis?
2.) Yes, let's make Tool songs shorter.
3.) A re-hash? A Re-Hash of everything Tool has done? That would imply that either "everything Tool has done is nearly the same"... or "This song spans the music, attitude, humor, intensity and seriousness that Tool has ever had" which in any case... is not a bad thing.

1.) Gaping Lotus Experience was also on Opiate, an EP, and was a hidden track, along with Maynard's Dick, which was also on an EP. Hooker With A Penis wasn't a joke song; that would imply that The Pot and Ticks & Leeches are also joke songs.

2.) Lateralus and Pushit are probably my two favorite songs they've done. Long is not bad, unless it is redundant, meandering, and/or unclimactic, which Rosetta Stoned is... for me.

3.) Just seemed like it was Third Eye remix.

Kovach
04-20-2006, 11:30 PM
I dont know. It's too weird for me at the moment. Im used to Undertow-Aenima-Lateralus lyrics. This is too funny. I cant quite accept it at the moment. I cant find deeper knowledge in it either. The music is catchy though. It gets good from 8:00 to the end.

Btw, Im still struggling with Third Eye, so this song is going to take quite a while.

deft0nej
04-21-2006, 02:13 AM
Best song on the cd, fucking amazing.

molehill
04-21-2006, 03:45 AM
Caesaro Summability is the worst Tool song.

IMHO, of course.

placidium
04-21-2006, 04:20 AM
it's better than third eye.

Mortal Moxie
04-21-2006, 05:04 AM

This would be an expected statement coming from a 15 year old.

At a young age you should not get mad that you cannot limit your expectations for something.

You're still in your worry free years, where everything is dream like and care free. Where the newest Tool album is going to redefine music and your life.

When you get to a more matured age, 22, 23, you'll start to understand how hype really works.

From my perspective it sounds like you hyped the album so much for yourself that no matter what Tool release, no matter how beautiful or genius it could be, it would not live up to your expectations. So in a way. You've let yourself down. If you think Tool let you down, you've got another thing coming.

This is some of their best and tightest work yet.

I think you need to go listen to the radio for a few years, to find out what kind music really "blows".

Now get the fuck outa here you emo f a g.

Bleakest Harvest
04-21-2006, 05:55 AM
I fucking love this song, such strange lyrics and vocals. Great stuff.

autumnleigh
04-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Yes, this song is a masterpiece. It is rivaling Third Eye in its sheer greatness. It is a bit "Slipknot" at the beginning, but that is short lived. Maynard is great on this track, very dreary. Epic, huge fucking sound. I have this on disk and have been driving around with the song blasting. The tribal drums make for such an awesome soundtrack to the life and chaos surrounding me.

Shit the bed again....typical

WilliamGraves
04-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Mortal Moxie = God

praefector
04-21-2006, 10:01 AM
theres no way this song is worse than "swamp song"

vasooner
04-21-2006, 10:04 AM
theres no way this song is worse than "swamp song"
That is a great song, thank you very much.

praefector
04-21-2006, 10:10 AM
lol, nice ...it (swamp song) is imo far and away the worst tool song

but my least favorite is the grudge...just cant stand it...can't explain it

Teratoma
04-21-2006, 11:53 AM
?? thoughts?

look at my profile under "least favorite song"

researchtriangle
04-21-2006, 12:23 PM
When you get to a more matured age, 22, 23, you'll start to understand how hype really works.

From my perspective it sounds like you hyped the album so much for yourself that no matter what Tool release, no matter how beautiful or genius it could be, it would not live up to your expectations. So in a way. You've let yourself down. If you think Tool let you down, you've got another thing coming.

This is some of their best and tightest work yet.

I think you need to go listen to the radio for a few years, to find out what kind music really "blows".

Now get the fuck outa here you emo f a g.

Couple of things. I'm a lot closer to "22, 23" than I am to 15, and I can assure you don't reach real maturity in your 20's. It doesn't take a genius to figure that shit out, and it doesn't take a genius to understand hype; it's not a complex concept...well not for a normal human being like myself.

If you call a song that rambles on for 11 minutes 'tight', well then I can tell that you yourself have probably hyped up the album so much that you can't admit to yourself that this song in particular is a steamy pile of shit.

It's funny that you mention radio music because the nonsensical cheesey singing from Maynard in the beginning of this song would fit very nicely among the other shit spewed out on the radio waves.

The fact that you got so upset as to tell me to 'get the fuck outa here' and called me an 'emo ***' is pretty sad; it implies that Tool have their collective dick so far up your ass that you can't handle someone having an honest negative opinion of one of their songs.

-----

So what's with everyone comparing this song to Third Eye? Are you all fucking deaf?

acsguitar
04-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Um I'd say this is one of the better TOOL songs I've heard.

Really awesome

toology514
04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
good song, PERIOD.

guitarpete987
04-21-2006, 12:57 PM
I read this entire thread. Here's my take:

Nothing about this song rambles or is an any way incoherent, except for the vocals at the beginning. And there is a purpose for them. If you don't get it yet, I'm not going to tell anybody what it means as it will come eventually. Because it only dawned on me about the 20th time I listened to the song. When you get it, you REALLY understand it.

If you are actually listening to the song and not only hearing it, you'll find very little is redundant about the song. It's pretty much a linear path from beginning to end. It boggles my mind how they even wrote this. Very little is repeated. Some of it might be improv, and that's cool, cause I'd like to see how that plays out live.

There are aspects here that resemble very strongly King Crimson, Zappa and some of Pink Floyd's more drawn out work.

Definitely trippy. To compare this to nu metal is very misguided. Nu-metal is verse chorus verse mindless stuff to drink to at a tailgate party. Play this at a tailgate party and everyone will leave. You need to sit in a dark room with it cranked to really appreciate this. Any other way, and you are cheating yourself just like you're cheating yourself to try and bend this to what you expect a tool song to sound like.

To everyone giving up on this song: Open up your fucking minds. It took me 20 times through to truly like this song and to truly understand what it's trying to do. I'm not saying you'll start to like it even then, but this is clearly one of the masterpieces of the album in scope and in execution. Whether you enjoy it or not is irrelevant. Just don't say it sucks or blows, because that is simply not justifiable. That stinks of immaturity, because someone who truly has an open mind can at least appreciate things they don't necessarily have a liking toward and wouldn't be so high-and-mighty as to dismiss it absolutely.

Dredg
04-21-2006, 01:01 PM
So what's with everyone comparing this song to Third Eye? Are you all fucking deaf?

because the riff at 2:59 is the riff in Third Eye, which for some reason NOBODY here stated. It is the exact SAME RIFF no doubt about it.

if anybody wants to hear it you can go listen to Third Eye from 2:33 on. The whole song like this song is based on it.

The effect on Maynards voice is even similar.

placidium
04-21-2006, 01:02 PM
it's not exactly the same. it's close but pretty different. and that's not the song's main riff.

this song is better than third eye.

the climax is almost too much to handle. andy king cried to it. i mean, andy is probably a big pussy, but still, it's enough to bring someone to tears.

guitarpete987
04-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Indeed, it's not the same riff... it's very similar, though. It's in the same key, but then again, 90 percent of tool's songs are in a variation of D minor.

The time signature is different, also. Third eye is in 12/8 at that point and a lot of rosetta stoned is in 11/8.

And yes, as someone said, it's not the song's main riff. I am not entirely sure if this song really has one. As I stated before, it's a very linear song.

The root notes of the third eye riff shift from D to A and the roots of the rosetta stoned riff in question go from D to F.

Just want to clarify for readers that it is indeed a very similar sounding riff, but no the EXACT SAME RIFF.

And the entire song seems to build up for 8:44, and it's pure bliss. Can't wait to hear this live. Hopefully in Dallas on May 8!!!!

U4ia
04-21-2006, 01:17 PM
This is no doubtably the best song I have ever heard in my life. I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Dredg
04-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Indeed, it's not the same riff... it's very similar, though. It's in the same key, but then again, 90 percent of tool's songs are in a variation of D minor.

The time signature is different, also. Third eye is in 12/8 at that point and a lot of rosetta stoned is in 11/8.

And yes, as someone said, it's not the song's main riff. I am not entirely sure if this song really has one. As I stated before, it's a very linear song.

The root notes of the third eye riff shift from D to A and the roots of the rosetta stoned riff in question go from D to F.

Just want to clarify for readers that it is indeed a very similar sounding riff, but no the EXACT SAME RIFF.

And the entire song seems to build up for 8:44, and it's pure bliss. Can't wait to hear this live. Hopefully in Dallas on May 8!!!!

yep you can be all technical about it. (ironically Adam isnt).... if you were to develop this riff and use it on different songs.. what would really be different?

Its the same exact idea. Adam probably played it one way, fleshed it out. Maybe he thought he found something else in the riff and saved it for later. Either way it is a recycled riff that should of been forgotten about.

ArizonaBay
04-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Ah man this song kicks ass, its like so different its like beautiful. Ive listened to it like 10 times and im just scratchin the surface ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz this song is an absolute joke. Ze deveel 17 i can answer your question. They were thinking..."Suckers...."

placidium
04-21-2006, 01:58 PM
i hope this album is a decoy, because the real thing would have to literally make me shoot a constant stream of bloody sperm out of my dickhole.

acsguitar
04-21-2006, 02:00 PM
i hope this album is a decoy, because the real thing would have to literally make me shoot a constant stream of bloody sperm out of my dickhole.

hahahahahah Nice...

U4ia
04-21-2006, 03:06 PM

Sorry buddy, but that's just wishful thinking. The album isn't bad at all after you listen to it a few times. Not to mention, there's no way they would put this much time and effort into creating a false full-lenth album just for a little prank/surprise. And also it would probably take a little more than 5 years to pull this off.

I didn't like any of the songs on NINs 'With Teeth' album the first couple times I listened to it. Then a few days later I was in love with every song.... then it got old and I quit listening to it. But Tool is different. Their style of epical, lengthy, adventurous and sometimes spiritual songs will never get old!!!

Supergroup
04-21-2006, 03:37 PM
this is probably the best song on this album, I can't stop listening to it... someone please help.

usersmind
04-21-2006, 04:00 PM

the reason between you and tool is that
they have you and your opinion deep in their asses,
this is why they are creating music from years, and you are shitting your bed
everyone's happy

molehill
04-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Great song. I love the bass-break at 7 minutes

Russell
04-21-2006, 05:35 PM
First post...so here goes

Start off by listening to the song along with "Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann)" ... it kinda merges together, you'll kind of get a grasp on what the song is about. It also adds to the way the song kicks in from beginning to end.

This song is amazing, period. Its almost as if three songs are going on at once. The way they bounce in and out of different moods all together amazes me. I can't even fathom writing something like this...its mind boggling.

Tool has written plenty of amazing songs, but this is on an island all alone, just like the band itself.

Give the album a listen a few times, it will grow on you.

zee deveel 17
04-21-2006, 05:39 PM
the reason between you and tool is that
they have you and your opinion deep in their asses,
this is why they are creating music from years, and you are shitting your bed
everyone's happy

im sure they can care less about whether a fan dislikes one of their songs. i just think rosetta stoned is terrible because it sounds like they were, indeed, stoned out of their mind when they recorded it. i understand the joke behind the lsd thing, but just because you want to make a statement in a song like this about a bad acid trip doesn't mean you have to make the song sound bad too.

Jorge
04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
My favorite song on the album so far.

Winner
04-21-2006, 06:53 PM
One of the best, in my opinion.

Light Reflections
04-21-2006, 10:13 PM
This is probably the biggest "grower" on the album. Love it now.

zerotwilight
04-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Possibly the BEST song on the album ?

hmmmmmmmm.

Goodpart
04-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Not the worst song they've ever done, but certainly the most underwhelming. It would undoubtedly be one of the best ever if they'd written some proper fucking lyrics for it instead of slapping inane drug rambles in there instead.

Fuck. So disappointing. I'm going to go listen to Jambi now. :(

oxman69
04-21-2006, 10:31 PM
i listened to this song on the bus with headphones. i was so scared. its insane! totally awesome. Reminds me of Frank Zappa VS Tool!

This is my sentiments exactly. Listening to it on headphones with the volume up (you must listen to Lost Keys first though mind) it just scares the bejesus out of me.

Think Abduction..... Think Aliens/UFO's. This dude has been taken by them and now hes in complete shock lying in a hospital bed.

The vocal mix is fantastic... if you try to listen to it on anything other than headphones you can't make out what MJK is saying, but if you concerntrate you can. Just listen........

hbynoe
04-21-2006, 10:38 PM
lost keys and this go together perfectly
i cant help but fucking headbang when it comes on
seven minutes in and i am in heaven
i love the rambling
i love the absurdity
it is fucking real

oxman69
04-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Nowhere near the worst. Judging Tool songs is not a good idea until you've had many listens over time.
Very good point, especially consider the album is "not out yet"... I am on about my 20th listening cycle. Its F*&king fantastic. Totally new ideas and different to anything they have ever done.

Stuff remaking Aenima. move forward

ArizonaBay
04-22-2006, 04:03 AM
"I can't even fathom writing something like this...its mind boggling." You people are so deluded. You know why you cant write something like this? Its because its random jamming it will never be repeated by the band again because it was made up on the spot. Lyrics and samples were more than likely added in after.

Russell
04-22-2006, 10:23 AM
"I can't even fathom writing something like this...its mind boggling." You people are so deluded. You know why you cant write something like this? Its because its random jamming it will never be repeated by the band again because it was made up on the spot. Lyrics and samples were more than likely added in after.

random jamming? yeah...whatever you say.

s ti N Kfizt
04-22-2006, 10:26 AM
This is probably the biggest "grower" on the album. Love it now.
i think Right In Two is the biggest ''grower''.. though maybe becouse it's in the end of the album.. heheh.. you're maybe right.

i say this again: great song

edit: this is the ''best of tool'' -track indeed.. and that's how Tool meant it to be i guess..

kyyuulle
04-22-2006, 10:48 AM
i'm pretty sure maynard officially fucking lost it in this song.

definitely tool's big mindfuck of artwork

hbynoe
04-23-2006, 10:29 AM
umm no

RS is bloody brilliant
takes a while to seep in
it is the one that comes back to me the most though

dracomordag
04-23-2006, 04:49 PM
worst song on album imo

matthias9
04-23-2006, 04:57 PM
?? thoughts?

This song is fucking great. Fucking great...

IC
04-23-2006, 04:59 PM
nah, -Ions by far

researchtriangle
04-23-2006, 06:15 PM
i'd actually rather listen to useful idiot or -ions. not even joking

FortySix&Two
04-23-2006, 07:48 PM
I get really excited partway through lipan conjuring knowing this is coming..fucking love it. it's nuts.

knot0fvipers
04-23-2006, 08:03 PM
great song if your a 15yo boy who wonders what it would be like to get all "trippy". not good being wrote by a 40yo man.

this song is a joke

donkeynorris
04-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Great song. The drums are awesome in this one. Overall, it doesn't sound too similar to 3rd eye to me. This song is its own beast. It seems from reading this thread, it's one people are either loving or hating.

trickma
04-24-2006, 01:21 AM

Dude your fucked, one of the best songs on the fucken cd.

This is what tool does to you..

eonphi
04-24-2006, 01:26 AM
it's a good song...shut up

trickma
04-24-2006, 01:43 AM
Yeh but no one liked it at first :P

seneca77
04-24-2006, 05:34 AM
well some think bush is still a great leader, and i suppose you are entitled to your views as well.

GreenSmurf
04-24-2006, 06:00 AM
I know that this song is not a favorite around here for a few reasons one of which is mainly the lyrics but I have seemingly been getting the damned thing stuck in my head. Its almost catchy. I had to actually burn a seperate CD for my car so that I can listen to this song while I drive to work. Now, it may be the fumes from the overly rich burning fuel getting to me while I drive but it seems everytime I hear it, this condition gets worse. I find myself randomly saying, "God damn, shit the bed" and "Sunkist the Sudafed" for no apparent reason. Please tell me there is hope for me.

GreenSmurf
04-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, I guess there is no hope then... I almost expected someone to tell me to at least turn the song off and huff gasoline fumes while listening to Lateralus or something...

Just thought its was hilarious.
http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=7951100

autumnleigh
05-01-2006, 03:29 PM

I hate you, please tell me you are a hoax.

M.Luther
05-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Just thought its was hilarious.
http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=7951100

haha that is hilarious

undertow39
05-02-2006, 06:06 AM
This song is amazing....keep listening to it,,,It builds and builds..

Huff
05-02-2006, 06:22 AM
Can't believe we're having this discussion....but since we are:

The part near the end where maynard is really singing reminds me a lot of Pushit....long...very epic ending. word. This is the best track so far. I agree w/ the above post...it proves sense of humour but is still really serious. Fuck only Tool can do that.

montsegur
05-02-2006, 07:04 AM
worst song even including the apc opus....

deuceman
05-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by trickma

Don't bother. There is nothing to digest. IT SUCKS....Think for yourself, question authority....umm, Maynard, I have a question? Where the fuck do you and the band get off spending 5 years between releases and produce an album that has 5 good tracks (the first 5) and six utterly appalling ones? "Ooh, keep listening, it just grows on you and gets better each time".....what a crock...

We all work for a living, to make money and be good little capitalist piglets...musicians are working just like us, maybe doing what they love as opposed to just a job...either way, we all have good days and bad days at the office....the last 6 tracks on this album are like a bunch of seriously bad fucking days at the office...

I wish more people on here had the honesty to criticise some of this new material. If you like it, love it, then that's cool. If you don't, please don't try and pretend you do or delude yourself that "if I listen enough I can convince myself it's good"....

The band would have more respect for you if you actually bother to "think for yourself, and question their authority over you."

caseyerau
05-02-2006, 07:09 AM
You got to be kidding, this is my favourite, the aggression!

How can you not love the part 'you believe me, don't you?, please believe what I just said....'

This will go off live!

you're right, this song is gonna be absolutely amazing live

tmm133
05-02-2006, 07:14 AM
exactly. i think this is the 'third eye' of the album. I think this song could literally take months to appreciate.

I don't force myself a song. i will like it when i am ready to like it. It took me months to like 'the patient' also.

cheers to the patient...took me months,

it is one of their best songs ever

identitat soldat
05-02-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm listening to it right now for the first time, just bought the album, and in a way I have to agree a little. Some parts reminded me a bit of the patient, but no not really. Third Eye, however, it reminds me very, very much of Third Eye. I'm not sure the meaning of this track and I'll have to listen to it a bunch of times to really get it. I fucking love this album.

mikey6719
05-02-2006, 01:02 PM
After first run, all I can do is remember the heart and absolute emotion of Opiate, Aenema, Undertow....But the last two albums seem like hallucinatory 40 year old men trying to stay "in touch" and get rich at the same time. Jesus, Pictures of the band?! And Maynard offering us a glass of his wine? FUCK OFF!! Wheres my ten bucks?

xlc210
05-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Think this one makes the CD. Without this track, the cd would not be able to stand up to Aenima or Lateralus. This track just floors me, it is absolutely awesome, chaotic, crazy, just a real good track!

kohath
05-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by trickma

Don't bother. There is nothing to digest. IT SUCKS....Think for yourself, question authority....umm, Maynard, I have a question? Where the fuck do you and the band get off spending 5 years between releases and produce an album that has 5 good tracks (the first 5) and six utterly appalling ones? "Ooh, keep listening, it just grows on you and gets better each time".....what a crock...

We all work for a living, to make money and be good little capitalist piglets...musicians are working just like us, maybe doing what they love as opposed to just a job...either way, we all have good days and bad days at the office....the last 6 tracks on this album are like a bunch of seriously bad fucking days at the office...

I wish more people on here had the honesty to criticise some of this new material. If you like it, love it, then that's cool. If you don't, please don't try and pretend you do or delude yourself that "if I listen enough I can convince myself it's good"....

The band would have more respect for you if you actually bother to "think for yourself, and question their authority over you."

I agree that if you don't like it say that and don't say that you do if you don't , but keep an open mind, man. Every has the right to change their mind. It might have been 5 years inbetween albums but you have to remember that Maynard was made 3 A Perfect Circle albums, Daney Carey did stuff with his side band, and i don't know about Justin or Adam.

omnitronic
05-02-2006, 02:28 PM
The worst Tool song ever=Ticks & Leaches

omnitronic
05-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Leeches I mean. I think Roseta is amazing by the way. Better and better with every listen...

zee deveel 17
05-02-2006, 02:34 PM
some of you oppressive fans need to respect each person's opinion. if you like the song, that's fine. but don't impose your opinion on someone else. i personally hate the song and there's nothing you can say or do to me to change my mind. ive listened to it plenty of times, and while it's funny at times, it's terrible music overall.

Carny_Handles
05-02-2006, 02:40 PM
yeah, this song got me on like the third listen. initially there's just too much going on....but once I got it...truly amazing. a great combination of styles and hilarious lyrics.

I got this song on the first listen, maybe due to the fact that i was high as fuck and was able to clearly hear the voices and what they were saying.. needless to say it was a trip. I cant wait to have the actual lyrics, maybe if i get bored enough i'll write them out.

rakeshuva
05-02-2006, 03:25 PM
this song is amazing. done.

Sanzen
05-02-2006, 05:41 PM
WTF @ This thread. For real.

resonance.
05-02-2006, 05:43 PM
this song is amazing. done.

It's not amazing for Tool.

resonance.
05-02-2006, 05:44 PM
The worst Tool song ever=Ticks & Leaches

Absoloutly rediculous.

zee deveel 17
05-02-2006, 06:30 PM
ticks and leeches is one of my least favorite tool songs.

TheConjuring
05-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Tool doesn't have a worst song ever, all of their stuff is good. My least favorite song from Tool is probably Swamp Song though. Rosetta Stoned is an excellent song.

Pierrou
05-03-2006, 09:34 AM
This one reminds me a bit of "Third Eye", dunnow exactly how or why, but it does
Maybe the intensity, and the duration of it

Cid
05-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Best.

best on the album at least...

Cid
05-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Tool doesn't have a worst song ever, all of their stuff is good. My least favorite song from Tool is probably Swamp Song though. Rosetta Stoned is an excellent song.

tool has a worst song in my opinion, and it's the pot...

SuperSteve
05-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Great song.

How can you hate the pot?

Sanzen
05-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Don't these talking monkeys know that Rosetta stoned and the pot are elite?

SuperSteve
05-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Signs point to no.

Cid
05-03-2006, 12:13 PM
Great song.

How can you hate the pot?

it's the most poppy sounding song they've ever made and it just sounds like crap to me. justin has some interesting parts, but for the most part it just sounds really boring. and the singing and lyrics annoy me.

_colin_
05-03-2006, 01:50 PM
i think this is one of the better songs they have written it is great

Staetz
05-03-2006, 02:27 PM
It all come down to this...all tool albums require a couple good solid listens, this song in particular took honestly about 10 times for me to get into it as with alot of the songs on this album. But after you finally get to that point you're going to blown away by creativity and freshness behind this song and any others will soon follow. Took me a good month to fully grasp Lateralus. Just slow down put yourself in a vunerable state and shit the bed that this album is finally out and its raw.

ladiatia
05-03-2006, 02:55 PM
I think is one of the bests songs in the record. The lyrics are a little bit weird but I love the music there.

Salud!

theprosperone
05-03-2006, 02:58 PM
it's the most poppy sounding song they've ever made and it just sounds like crap to me. justin has some interesting parts, but for the most part it just sounds really boring. and the singing and lyrics annoy me.

Do you like undertow?

A lot of the singing and song structure are very similar to a lot of undertow.

If you enjoy Undertow and dislike The Pot there is something wrong with you. That something being that you've let something other than the music make your opinion for you.

eulogy508
05-03-2006, 03:00 PM
One of their lesser "epic" songs for sure, but not the worst

Tunguska
05-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Possibley the best TOOL song ever?

evil agent
05-03-2006, 06:35 PM
WOW. I do NOT have the patience to read this thread right now, but I thought this was undoubtedly one of the best songs on the album. LOVED it.

zee deveel 17
05-03-2006, 06:49 PM
the worst on the cd and the worst in tool's catalogue. unfortunately, i have to skip this one when i listen to the cd.

troublefunk
05-04-2006, 12:58 AM

The pot fucking rules. Give it time.

11Reflections11
05-04-2006, 01:21 AM
First time I heard the album I didn't skip any tracks. This song pained me to hear the first time and frankly, certain parts sound vaguely like 3rd eye anyways. Now I really like this song, mostly because of the lyrics and the overall intensity.

Cid
05-04-2006, 07:19 AM
The pot fucking rules. Give it time.

you musta been high

jercyn
05-04-2006, 10:44 AM
reminds me of the first time i heard third eye, don't know why

Great song, love it

profundo giallo
05-04-2006, 10:59 AM
When i first heard it i didnt like it at all now i love it.Sometimes even your most favourite songs take a little longer to hit the spot.

mattmav45
05-04-2006, 11:54 AM
This is the best song on the album, and a top 5 Tool song period, IMO. Absolutely incredible song.

vicariouslyeye
05-04-2006, 12:02 PM
bla bla bla

Blanket_509
05-04-2006, 01:27 PM
this song grew on me. To say that this song is "rambling" and has no direction seems to show a lack of listening skills or musicianship or attention span or something. Just let it play through in the car a few times. You'll be rocking out to it soon enough.

What alot of people seem to be pissed about is how "un-tool" this album sounds. But honestly, this album sounds alot more like Tool than Lateralus does. If you think back to the early days, their riffs and vocal melodies were very soulful and bluesy Think Undertow (the song), Crawl Away, Swamp Song, even Prison Sex. All these songs had heavy rhythm and blues/hard rock undertones. Aenima was a slight departure from this. The music got more experiemental. This is when they really started using complex polyrhythms, but the vocals still had that bluesy feel. Then Lateralus came along and completely changed things up. Yes they still used lots of polyrhythms, but the chord progressions, rhythms and vocal melodies were much more prog-metal than hard-rock/blues.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Lateralus, but it almost seems more natural for 10,000 days to come right after Aenima. It is a throwback to their hard rock beginnings but with the complexity and song structure learned from Aenima and Lateralus.

So my point is, if anything, you guys who criticize this album for not being "Tool-ish" enough need to reevaluate your concepts of what Tool really sounds like. Lateralus, for the most part, is so divergent of Tool's signature style, so if you are using Lateralus as your benchmark, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

gamegod195
05-04-2006, 04:45 PM
its not my favorite, but its certainly not the worst.

Karl James
05-04-2006, 04:54 PM
i actually love this song, it is in my top 3 favs off this album
the way he says the line 'sunkist and sudafed' is awesome

jdp609
05-04-2006, 06:25 PM
I think it's the best on the album, and I actually like the way Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned tie together.

Saabaru
05-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Spell "possibley" right and I might take you seriously for a minute.

hbynoe
05-04-2006, 08:50 PM
every day i grow to love it more

anshu
05-05-2006, 10:42 AM
exactly...this song is the best because of this reason ....it grows on you with every listen...same is true with this album ...slowly & slowly this album become better

In-0blivian
05-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Addictive. Epic. HUGE. This song is a masterpeice. After about 15 listens the moment of constant build up then BAM, OVERWHELMED AS ONE COULD BE... I don't know how any tool fan could not appreciate this song. Read over the lyrics, they're fantastic.

FickMyDuck
05-05-2006, 10:39 PM
took me 2 years to like Third Eye, took me 2 listens to like this one. I really like the concept of this song.

jusmaroon
05-06-2006, 01:23 AM
I love this song. Captures the ravings of a mad man...

agreed.

Isac Khrondor
05-06-2006, 02:08 AM
This song has a really great moment in the second half, but apart from that it's really a let down.

EatTheHoly
05-06-2006, 02:31 AM
Definitely not the worst song, the beginning starts out a little weak, but by the end you can see the whole song as being greater than the sum of it's parts. Personally, I think Schism is the worst tool song ever.

upandatthem
05-06-2006, 03:09 AM
Rosetta Stoned is my favourite track off the album.

submachine
05-06-2006, 03:28 AM
no one can admit to themselves that this album blows.

Well, if you exclude the half-songs and instrumentals, I'd say its one of the worst because it is not only not that good, but its not that good for 11 long minutes.

Rosette feasted
05-06-2006, 04:29 AM
I think it is the worst song from the new album. I wish they'd used this 11:11 minutes for a better song. Or two better songs.
This piece of crap doesn't deserves to be on a Tool Album.

Ryan
05-06-2006, 04:30 AM
Rosetta Stoned is my favourite track off the album.

Same here.

Lantern Bearer
05-06-2006, 04:33 AM
Definitely not the worst song, the beginning starts out a little weak, but by the end you can see the whole song as being greater than the sum of it's parts. Personally, I think Schism is the worst tool song ever.

I agree with you kinda. Schism was a really overrated song. Not really a bad song, not the best on Lateralus, either. But EXTREMELY overrated, in my opinion.

black_rose
05-06-2006, 04:37 AM
It's not a particulary good song but its not that bad, i didn't like it at all at first. It's definetely not that bad though and i can easily think of worse tool songs.

Opiate_Mass
05-06-2006, 04:46 AM
?? thoughts?
you don't deserve to live anymore.........
those are my thoughts.

submachine
05-06-2006, 04:52 AM
I think it is the worst song from the new album. I wish they'd used this 11:11 minutes for a better song. Or two better songs..

After 5 long years, 11 precious minutes, wasted.

Blanket_509
05-06-2006, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchtriangle
no one can admit to themselves that this album blows.

You know what, I'm fucking tired of hearing shit like this. I don't give a fuck if you think this album is a flaming pile of dog turds. I happen to really enjoy it so please don't project your frustration onto me. Asshole.

toocooltool
05-06-2006, 08:56 AM
It is a GOOD song.. shut the FUCK up.

TyCobb36731
05-06-2006, 09:42 AM
I think its right up there with Third Eye as one of the best.

kidnappedbassist
05-06-2006, 02:37 PM

I have no idea how you could relate this to slipknot or any other current, popular nu-metal band. I would like to see any of them try to write something with this kind of rythm, write genious riffs over it, and have melodies and lyrics that add to a song that is already incredible

kaspguy
05-06-2006, 03:36 PM
It's not bad, not my favorite, but definatly interesting and worth looking into. and NOOOO this album does not blow.

sco999
05-06-2006, 04:08 PM
When I first heard the new album this was my least favorite track. I think it was because I was so excited about listening to the new music that my mind was overwhelmed with floods of different emotions. I wanted the instant gratification that "Jambi" gave me, and I was not in the right mental state, nor was I ready to take the emotional 10,000 day journey.
As I have found myself becoming more relaxed and comfortable with the new album my journey has now begun and "Rosetta Stoned" has become my favorite track on the album. I almost want to call it
"Third Eye Pt 2", but I think it is to early in the journey for me to make such a bold statement.

For everone out there that is disappointed in the new album, I highly suggest that you relax and let your journey begin. Soon you will begin to understand.

submachine
05-06-2006, 11:09 PM
This song goes nowhere....slow

forty6n2
05-06-2006, 11:37 PM
someone beat me to the Third Eye idea.

this song feels like it definitely has some sort of connection with, in my opinion, the best song on Ænima. it seems to me its the consequences of opening your third eye. The riffs sound the same, the only thing really different is Maynard's vocal style. I'ts a wonderful song, and the new album has taken me a few listens to really start appreciating what those four guys created. Lost Keys and Roseta Stoned are incredible tracks.

For sure this is a highlight of the album. you can have a closed mind if you like and try to criticize everything or you can just enjoy a another fine creation from some weirdos we've never met.

Systolic
05-07-2006, 08:51 AM
I wasn't INCREDIBLY keen on the track at first, but now its TOTALLY one of my favorites.

xul
05-07-2006, 02:25 PM
yes at first i was liek wtf and skipped it but then have been istening to it over and over,.... nice crazyness

Zaxang
05-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Someone [don't remember who] on these boards said that his most "euphoric tool experience ever" was:

Overwhelmed as one would be,
Placed in my position,
Such a heavy burden now to be the one,
One who bears to read to all the details of our ending,
And write it down for all the world to see,
But I forgot my pen,
Shit the bed again

That's Rosetta Stoned - 8:30.

I couldn't agree more with that guy. Everytime I hear it, something inside my body just...well, to put it into words, "lifts." It is, for me at least, definitely the most...inspirational moment listening to Tool I have ever experienced.

Saying that this song is "the worst tool song ever," or "the worst song on the album," I just...don't know how anyone could think that.
To each their own, I suppose.

~magdalena~
05-07-2006, 07:33 PM
wait till you hear this shit live!!! you might change your mind! it's insane!

imatoolhed
05-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Some of the best shit ever wrote (imo). That is so fucking tool.

I mean i could be wrong ... But i doubt it.

Becoming a fast favorite, Listen after listen. This one is solid from beginning to end.

lrighty then
Picture this if you will

10 to 2 AM
And actually eating up an old box of Krispy Kremes
And my need-to-know potion.
I was just outside Area 51
Contemplating the whole chosen people? thing
When a flaming stealth banana split the sky like, wide open.
I never expected to see it in a place like this.
I do believe I spilled a diamond sundae
Right on my Birkenstocks
And me yelping
Holy fucking shit (repeated)

Then the x-file being who was like
some kind of blue-grey Jackie Chan
With Isabella Rossellini lips and breath that reeked
Up the delicate [chocolate? (chocolate from the sundae?)] air
All while making the sound abananadabanana
So when I opened up my bug eyes, my gaping jaw
And my sweaty L. Ron Hubbard upper lip
And all I could think was
I hope Uncle Martin here doesn't notice
that I pissed my fucking pants

Asprinbah
05-08-2006, 04:07 AM
Rosetta Stoned makes this album. In my opinion, it is hands down the best song on 10,000 days.

horus462
05-08-2006, 04:12 AM
sober is tool's worst song and it is a great song

drunktank
05-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Love this song!!! The lyrics are funny. Sure, it isn't going to be everybody's favorite...but it's up there with "The Pot" and "Right in Two" as my favorite tracks on the album.

BTW, my least favorite TOOL song of them all is "The Patient"...not saying it's the worst song; just my least favorite.

Rosette feasted
05-08-2006, 07:58 AM
I could like the song, but the lyrics are so stupid that I have to skip it everytime. They really ruin the whole song for me.

Kyndig
05-08-2006, 08:02 AM
I was put off at first by this track. However now that I have listened to it many times I have to say that this song gets a LOT better around the 6 min mark, and utterly blows me away starting around 8:15. Still not crazy about the first 5+ minutes though....

TOOL_Rules
05-08-2006, 08:32 AM

Me neither, bogs. It has to be some reflection of the general state of the world; ANGRY. I LOVE this CD and have been waiting for it since 2001. It is awesome and everything I expected it would be, and in some senses, more. It is most amazing to me that there are so many closed-minded people out there that were expecting something else and have turned into devil-horned TOOL haters. Begone with you. Leave please, we won't miss all of you jumping off the bandwagon. I wish I had a semi-accurate idea of what percentage of the 10K Days haters are musicians. Because I bet it isn't a large percentage. This music is real complex, despite how simple some of it sounds. TOOL has just transcended some people's comprehension is all. The haters' only way to respond is to lash out that they don't like it. Sounds like a bunch of overgrown babies without brains. I pity you all, but really, just leave and stay off of toolshed. We'll all be happier.

?Cogito Ergo Sum?
05-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Not at all the worst. Anyone who's dosed before, (yes I admit it but have matured to the point where I find it unnecessary) can relate to the entire situation. At first, the mind is just flying, trying to grasp at every little thought, but they pass by too fast. Then slowing and trying to explain clearly and calmly what he experienced (the character or MJK or whoever) yet still having uncontrollable outburts. Fucking Awesome song.

help me
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Indeed, it fucking stays on my cd.
Nicely done. Wow this song really seems to be dividing people. I personally don't see how you could dislike it let alone think it is Tool's worst song EVER! Or fucking compare it to nu-metal.

I also agree with that person who said Tool's worst song was The Grudge. I STILL don't get that song. This album completely lived up to my high expectations after lateralus and this is definitely one of my favorite songs on the album. It takes a few listens to get into, which is only natural with songs lasting over 11 mins, but it's definitely worth it. If you can't get into it, fuck off and listen to APC!

magdalena.
05-08-2006, 05:53 PM
This song is freaking sweet! It's structure reminds me of Eulogy, The Grudge, and Third Eye: epic, complicated, schizophrenic, just the way I like it. If you don't like this song, you are a Tool noob. Yeah... I said it.

Jon08
05-08-2006, 06:27 PM

heed your own advice

EDIT: oh, and yeah, this is definately one of the best things they've ever done. this song's been anticipated for at least two years, ever since we were informed that they were making an amazing, close to 18 minutes song with the initials LK.

MalloryKnox
05-09-2006, 04:25 PM
There is no way Rosetta Stoned is the worst Tool song ever. It is not even the worst song on the album!! It does sound like Slipknot at the beginning, but that is not in a bad way. I agree with those people that say when he says "you believe me don't you..." it is amazing. It does follow up LK perfectly.
No way is Sober their worst song. And Schism is overrated, it is ok, but it was overplayed...It is really hard to think of what their worst song would be, but it's not this.

Mesher_dakimi
05-09-2006, 04:28 PM
i just like to put in my 2 cents and say what is the fucking point of comparing tool songs and ...personal preference, fucking monkies given free will and reason and thumbs and look all they do is masterbate and gripe about their preference of a song or something, learn some respect speck of brahman

Xylo
05-09-2006, 07:31 PM
?? thoughts?

The first time I heard this song I was laughing out loud. I think it's a wondeful comedic break in the album. Tool's always had a sort of tongue in cheek aproach to alot of their subject matter that shine's through on this track. The insturmentals are again something to stand in awe at as the boys continue to amaze. Anyway, great song, funny and great anti-drug message.

Goodwin
05-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Is this not all OUR OWN fuckin opinion. Alot of yall act like because you say it sucks it sucks, period. I LOVE THIS SONG. Its the shit and I get goose bumps everytime i listen to it. I'm not forcing yall to like it though. So don't try and force me to dislike it. Maybe you should go listen to it more thne 3 tiems before you maek up your goddamn mind. All good music takes awhile to get used to. Thats what i realized at least.

And to say we cant bring ourselves to say this album sucks is complete bull shit. I was expectin it to not be nearly as good as lateralous. Now to me its just as good if not better (I wouldn't be able to choose which I liekd more, they're so diffrent). And for the first 2 days I lsitened to it it did suck. Until I listened to the lyrics. Its waht the albums about. Its what TOOLS about.
So if you think this shit sound smainstream then go fuck yourself and get a takin back sunday cd and rock out to that.

neuropathy
05-09-2006, 08:48 PM
well said memphis

Is this not all OUR OWN fuckin opinion. Alot of yall act like because you say it sucks it sucks, period. I LOVE THIS SONG. Its the shit and I get goose bumps everytime i listen to it. I'm not forcing yall to like it though. So don't try and force me to dislike it. Maybe you should go listen to it more thne 3 tiems before you maek up your goddamn mind. All good music takes awhile to get used to. Thats what i realized at least.

And to say we cant bring ourselves to say this album sucks is complete bull shit. I was expectin it to not be nearly as good as lateralous. Now to me its just as good if not better (I wouldn't be able to choose which I liekd more, they're so diffrent). And for the first 2 days I lsitened to it it did suck. Until I listened to the lyrics. Its waht the albums about. Its what TOOLS about.
So if you think this shit sound smainstream then go fuck yourself and get a takin back sunday cd and rock out to that.

JOK3R
05-09-2006, 09:02 PM
?? thoughts?

you cant really believe that. not only is the music hard and great but the story with lost keys is the best.

?Cogito Ergo Sum?
05-10-2006, 02:14 PM

Welcome the clarification to everyone that didn't remember the entire page is called "Opinion"

Loveboat Captain
05-10-2006, 02:22 PM

That insanity is what I love about Tool.

Psilo
05-10-2006, 04:37 PM
Best

evil agent
05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
wait till you hear this shit live!!! you might change your mind! it's insane!Good call, Magdalena! I have a feeling this will be AMAZING live (when I see them in Toronto next week).

In fact, almost every time I go to a concert, the live performance makes me appreciate songs that I wasn't big on before.

Yogho!
05-11-2006, 03:48 AM
worst tool song ever :S? 1 of the fkin best you mean

lol you better think about ions, viginity tres etc.

Mozeley
05-11-2006, 04:07 AM
This is a greeeat song. I'm liking it more and more with every spin.

carfig
05-11-2006, 12:46 PM
In my opinion, which is worth nothing, this song is not the best or worst song. The reason I love Tool is because they push the boundries of traditional music, and this song is far from traditional. Also, they write and perform music that they are thinking or care about, they are not looking to create hits, just express what they are feeling. There is pleny of radio frendly bubblegum rock and metal out there with your typical sound.

Whether you like this song or not, it's just another ingredient to the full meal that is 10,000 days and Tool!

justify_denials
05-11-2006, 01:05 PM
While I am not sure if this is the worst Tool song ever (10,000 days has 8 actual songs you know), I can say that I hate this one.

At about the 1-2 min. mark I thought to myself, "How the hell do they plan on dragging this crap out for another 9-10 min?", but they did.
you on crack or something? You look at the tracklistings and you'll notice it says there is 11 tracks.

hbynoe
05-11-2006, 02:01 PM
i love rosetta she is still my fave on 10,000 days..
something special about her
something raw
and inflammatory
something sincere and humourous
something above all else
full of sorrow..a giving away a giving up

jack_without_sally
05-11-2006, 02:35 PM
WORST SONG!!!!!!!!!!.....na i have to disagree, i've never heard so much anger from maynards mouth before, and the fact that the vocals are hard to understand (obviously on purpose) makes it so interesting, definetly one of the best from the album

WTFmate
05-11-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't think this is the WORST song ever by Tool (cough cough Useful Idiot) but it certainly is not one of their better efforts. For some reason, I am not digging the verse vocals on this track. It is too monotone and fast paced, almost like rap with talent. It never really did anything for me.

bluenote
05-11-2006, 07:22 PM
I enjoy the song, much like the rest of the cd, more and more with each listen. I bought the cd open to the idea that it may be different and it is. I'm open to their creative license and enjoy the hell out of it all

umbilicalchemist
05-12-2006, 09:04 AM
This is song is like a bad trip.

Goodwin
05-12-2006, 04:47 PM
well said memphis
Hah, thanks... I try my best.

kirknall
06-02-2006, 12:43 PM

Ahh..but you didn't experience it properly.

About 2 weeks before the AEnima CD came out, I was in Tower Records in Philadelphia and came across the album on vinyl.

After we went in the basement and dug up a record player we sat in on the floor and cranked it up. As much as a record player can be cranked up.

Useful Idiot was the last track on the first side of the first record (it was 2 records).

We were extremely high (having stopped at Wonderland also to pick up a new piece), and we couldn't figure out if there was something wrong with the record player, or the record or WTF was going on. Looking at the album jacket we're saying "Well, there's supposed to be a song here, and the needle's not riding the center, WTF is happening?!?"

It took us a little bit, ut it finally dawned on us that TOOL got us.

What suckers we were back then.

Makes you appreciate them that much more when they go to those lengths to mess with a small fraction of the people that would actually listen to this on vinyl.

lambandmartyr
06-02-2006, 01:33 PM
worst tool song ever? hardly. it's been said in the thread already but it bears repeating: it's a deeply layered song, both lyrically and musically. i was hooked on about the third or fourth listen. into it now for 20-30 reps and the song is still unfolding itself. so fucking tool is this song. to judge a tool song is to chase your own tail. the band didn't write their music to please us (meaning make money in record sales) in the way that most bands do. they write and record the music they want to write and record. everything on each of their albums is exactly what they wanted us to hear. they've blessed us with the gift of their music and it is for us to decipher it, if need be, and enjoy.

2and46
06-02-2006, 03:47 PM
After the first few listens, I didn't like it. Now its 4 weeks later, and its become my favorite track on the album. I love the constant time changes. The exchange between Justin and Danny at around 7:00 is priceless. Has become one of my favorite TOOL tracks. If you would of asked me 3 weeks ago, I would of said I didn't like it. Go figure.

Jett
06-04-2006, 01:47 AM
i think it's a song along the same lines as Third Eye.

troublefunk
06-04-2006, 02:57 AM
Wow this thread is on it's 7th page, and it started with the same premise as the locked pot one (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=50108).

I don't see how this discourse is any better or worse than that one would have been (it was closed after an hour it looks like). Weird forum.

Lupin
06-04-2006, 05:09 AM
When I first heard the album, I wasn't sure if I was going to love this song. But damn, now this song gets played twice as much as any other on the album for me. For me it's easily the best song on 10,000 days and in their top 5 all time best. You may not like what the lyrics/story is about, but I'll be damned if you say this is a poorly written song. Once you listen, truly listen and take it all in, you see as much. As for the actual "music", it's brutal in spots and masterfully put together. In that sense it's alot like Third Eye, another 1 of my all time favorites. So you can have your opinion, but do me a favor and truly sit down with this song and go through it a few times and tell me you still think it's their worst song ever.

2and46
06-04-2006, 05:19 AM
When I first heard the album, I wasn't sure if I was going to love this song. But damn, now this song gets played twice as much as any other on the album for me. For me it's easily the best song on 10,000 days and in their top 5 all time best. You may not like what the lyrics/story is about, but I'll be damned if you say this is a poorly written song. Once you listen, truly listen and take it all in, you see as much. As for the actual "music", it's brutal in spots and masterfully put together. In that sense it's alot like Third Eye, another 1 of my all time favorites. So you can have your opinion, but do me a favor and truly sit down with this song and go through it a few times and tell me you still think it's their worst song ever.

I feel exactly the same. Didn't like it at first, now it's the first song I listen to. This track is also fucking awesome on drugs...just a thought.

tooltomus
06-04-2006, 07:38 AM
There are songs like "Vicarious" that you like the first time you hear it, and then there are songs like "Rosetta" that make you say "what the hell was that?" All of us as Tool fans know that this is the way they are. Listen, read and absorb what it is and try to figure out the REAL meaning of all of their songs. "Rosetta Stoned" gets better each time I hear it. Just like "Third Eye" took some time to get, you WILL get this song.

Scratch
06-04-2006, 07:43 AM
This track is also fucking awesome on drugs...

yeah, but EVERYTHING is fucking awesome on drugs... whats your point?

BlanketEffect
06-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Try listening to it more than 10 times. Thats the nature of tool.

P.S. Spelled is spelled incorrectly.

theprosperone
06-04-2006, 11:08 AM
yeah, but EVERYTHING is fucking awesome on drugs... whats your point?

Ummm no. I fucking hate shitty music while on drugs....and the rest of the time I'm alive.

BlanketEffect
06-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Wow this thread is on it's 7th page, and it started with the same premise as the locked pot one (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=50108).

I don't see how this discourse is any better or worse than that one would have been (it was closed after an hour it looks like). Weird forum.

Well, the fact that it's gone on for 7 pages would mean that there is a lot of dissent with the assertion that this is "Possibl^e^y the worst TOOL song ever?"

AlexTool
06-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Are you fucking nuts ??? Rosetta Stoned is the best song of 10000 days... dams sure about it... only TOOL could make such a song... man everytime i hear it, i don't know.. i feel something wird.. can't define... Danny Carey is the best drummer ever, and this song is another prove of that... how does he make it ?? im in lisbon at 5.30 am, working in the hotel and im listening to rosetta... it's almost perfect.. can you feel the true meaning and agression ?
well
Peace

TurdEye13
06-06-2006, 08:56 PM
that is an opinion and in NO WAY a fact!!!!

stevejols
06-07-2006, 11:00 AM

Yeah or any sort of Faiip De opiad or Virginti Tres bullshit

werd

researchtriangle
06-07-2006, 01:00 PM
here's a funny sidenote...i started this thread and now i like the second half of this song. havent been back in a while...7 pages huh. hope it was time well spent.

carefreeonmorph
06-11-2006, 09:20 PM
I think it is the worst song from the new album. I wish they'd used this 11:11 minutes for a better song. Or two better songs.
This piece of crap doesn't deserves to be on a Tool Album.

Hmm this comment struck me funny when I read it. I've listened to the song ALOT cause it's been on for me since it came out... I've enjoyed the song thus far. But when I think about it I must admit, I'd bet they could've done something much better with that 11:11. I think they gave up on originality at this point of the record cause the rest of the album goes downhill from here. Tracks 9 and 10 sound like stuff that should be on an A Perfect Circle album... It's like they just finished it up quick to get it out as soon as possible.

It will take awhile to get over this but I still say Tool is my favorite band of all time. There work is legendary.

squinch
06-12-2006, 09:03 AM
?? thoughts?

Not.

On my first time through the disc, I almost stopped after the end of Rosetta Stoned to go back to the beginning of Lost Keys and listen to them both again without even finishing the rest of the disc. Fucking awesome. But then I had no preconceived notions about what I expected Tool's music to be. Much of this thread reminds me of what happened when Led Zeppelin released Presence in 1976. It was a total departure, most people said, "Eeww, it sucks. We don't like it." It was fucking ground breaking, phenomenal work. If the band does something different and you don't like it, you get left behind. It rocks, tells a story, has a message. Maybe it's different for a reason.

Typical
06-12-2006, 11:14 AM
this is currently my all time favorite song, tool or not. i think it's a fucking masterpiece of musical genious, lyrical superiority, and storytelling ability, all wrapped into one. i saw them in denver in may and this song alone was worth the price of admission. i could have left happy after just hearing this song.

researchtriangle
06-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't know about the whole expectations thing. I loved "Load" when it came out. Still one of my favorite Metallica albums, and a COMPLETE departure.

BlanketEffect
06-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Heh, I didn't despise Load because it was a departure from more traditional MEtallica... I despised Load because I despised Load.

Naga Royal Guard
06-13-2006, 01:08 PM
this song is a backlash on all the overanalitical tool n00bs i would imagine

it also has a distinct undertow feel