opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 06. Message to Harry Manback
User Name
Password
Old 11-25-2002, 07:59 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
a further thought on desensitization?

Just a thought that sparked up on me. If we could, for a moment, grant permission to read way too deep into this:

Perhaps the songs is an other comment on desninsitization. Listen to the the song, and then think about its content. Listening to the song is very calming, nice, it has soothing piano under it that relaxes you. But the content is clearly violent and malevolent; just as when we watch(ed) the news on TV, we calmy watched bombs falling on Baghdad and starving refuges, all while reaching for another coke.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 01:10 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 75
Re: a further thought on desensitization?

You know, I've never really looked at MtHM that way, but it does make sense. As a musician, I enjoy the song for the piano - as a regular individual, I enjoy the song because I find the track somewhat humorous. If one were to take the piano out of the recording, many people would probably be left confused and/or amused. "What's this guy talking about? Why is he so angry?"

Heh, I don't really know though, I guess I've relied too much on the FAQs and how they've explained many of Tool's songs for what they mean.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:04 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Yeah, and the birds and the sea noises, it's all very calm and cool, loving. Of course the content gets us. Even if it was in blatant english it still wouldn't get us like an angry rant.

I always thought it was this track was like 'hey tone is a huge part of words'

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: