opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 15. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 04-22-2003, 12:49 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Does anybody actually listen to the ENTIRE song?

I see lots of postings about people and the lyrics and what they mean and how they to come to conclusions and etc but most people don't spend the time to concern themselves with the entire song just the words.

I mean, MJK listens to the song as a musical piece before construction lyrics, based on the emotion and feeling that the song gave him. So doesn't it make sense to listen to the music just as much, if not more, to deepen the meaning. Also the music quite often is enough.

In third Eye we have a perfect example. at 4:18 the first guitar solo starts, rather un-flashy and with a tone that when i used to listen to while under, sounded like it was very sad, like someone helpless crying out from a pit, slowly on the verge of losing it, building up hope to see it quashed away
At 5:02 it even sound like it is really giving up and crying and at 5:13 really balling. Until at 5:46 all of a sudden its getting rescued from its pit and can rejoice.
The music in the backround is like the third eye, it can see beyond itself and a being and can concentrate on other more relevant things than just its current physical state.

And mind you, that's all it meant to to me, to somebody else it could mean something completly different.

This is just one example of what i mean. In Tool the entirety of the song is the the song, not just parts of it. Please do yourself a favour and listen to the whole song to grab the emotion, its not poetry alone, otherwise it would be in a book, not on a cd.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:32 AM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 62
Well, that was quite new to me. I never thought about the sadness but it kinda sounds like what you described. But the music and singing in the lines "So good to see you..." is more happy and calming.

I've said this many times before but I'll say it again. Tool isn't just Maynard and the lyrics, Tool is a whole band with four significant pieces that support each other. The music is the thing and without the music and the guitar, bass and drums I wouldn't give a shit about the philosophies and stuff. If a band makes good music i'll absorb more into it and study the lyrics and meanings. This has happened with Tool and I've gotten too deep although "the deeper, the better." Tool has lots of long, instrumental, non-vocalic parts and they are as well meaningful to me as the lyrics.

Third Eye is my all time favorite song of any band and the reason why is it so good, is mainly because of the music and instrumental stuff. Yes, I have listened the entire song many times and have came to a conclusion that it's thoroughly good.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 06:47 AM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 51
yes when i am in the mood i lesten to the whole song
Old 04-22-2003, 04:30 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by 4th Eye
Well, that was quite new to me. I never thought about the sadness but it kinda sounds like what you described. But the music and singing in the lines "So good to see you..." is more happy and calming.
Really!? The "so good to see you" part seems really desperate to me somehow. but who kn ows?
werd
Old 04-22-2003, 10:02 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

Re: Re: Does anybody actually listen to the ENTIRE song?

Quote:
Originally posted by mstajduh
no, you're the only one who listens to the ENTIRE song...
you should feel special..

all of us tend to skip over bits and pieces of TooL's music.

(*)
I was certainly not trying to imply that I am the only one who listens, the title of the thread was meant to be eye catching, which it appears to be. And the information inside possibly to inspire people who just haven't maybe considered some things. I don't think I am better than anyone else, and certainly don't think i am "special"
Old 04-24-2003, 12:49 PM   #6
SoM
Level 3 - Talker

Actually, I often pop in Aenema just to listen to Third Eye. I always listen to it the whole way through.

I think it's easier to present lyrics here to support ones view than to say stuff like "at x:xx <description> starts and signifies <emotion>" or at least that's the way I feel.

You do have a good point though. I think I could put more consideration into what the music is saying as well as lyrics.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:04 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8
I always listen to all of Tool's songs all the way through. From the first second to the very last. I think you get the better experience that way. Unfortunatly, a majority of people now a days don't like songs that are any longer then five minutes, they don't seem to have the patience to sit through a song as long as Third Eye is. Many of my friends can't understand why I like Third Eye so much. I'm always asked questions like "Don't you think it's too long and boring" or "Do you have a clue what the lyrics mean, cause I don't". I guess thats why many people might skip through a lot of the parts in Third Eye, they just don't have any patience to listen to it in it's entirety.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:31 PM   #8
Banned.

Bincount™: 25
Hell yes I listen to the entire song.. the ENTIRE freakin song is awesome! Not one part of it I don't like
Old 05-02-2003, 07:51 PM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 193
i only listen to really long TOOL songs when i am in the mood for something deeper.. if i am hury and i just want to listen to a quick pick me up ill listen to 46&2 or Ænima or something shorter... but if i want to get something deep ill put on third eye or pushit and just get lost

but sometimes i stop the song halfway becuase i get sleepy or have to go.. which sux and even sometimes i turn it off becuase i get bored (i know it is blasphemy so what bite me)

im not the kind of person that will stop everything to listen to a 13 minute song... ill listen to it when i am in the right frame of mind .. the same with d/r/t i rarely listen to those tracks because when i do i want to listen to those tracks all together and not want to skip any bits because i cant just lie there for 80 minutes and listen to a whole album... i guess ive only listened to all of Lateralus in one try maybe only 8 times...

REvolver...
Old 05-03-2003, 10:18 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

I don't think that you can say that a song wouldn't be the same without the drums or anything. Tool is an exception to the rule due to the fact that the music isn't standardised, Bob Dylan's songs are more often than not simplistic and passifying, the lyrical content however is fucking deep.

Tool's music, I find, compliments the lyrics and a great depth of emotion can be found there, but I don't think that you can directly cut off bands' messages and lyrical content should the musicality be standardised. Masters of War, for example, has two or three chords in it.

Third Eye's better if you listen to its entirety I find, the emotions are important, Bill's integral to the song as well.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:24 AM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

Personally, i can't listen to this song without listening to the whole thing. There is not one part of the song that is boring and is one of my all time favourites. It takes you on a journey, an experiance... the music is just as meaningful as the lyrics. And the " so good to see you, i've missed you so much " in my opinion, is the most emotional part of the song and it makes you feel whatever MJk was feeling when he sang it.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:21 PM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
I always listen to 3rd Eye all the way through unless I'm in the car. If I'm in the car I skip through the talking parts and just get to when the bass/sliding guitar riffs kick in and listen from there.

I hate it when I get to where I'm going and I still have a few minutes to go because I always end up sitting in the car (even when I'm late for work) and waiting for the song to end like that guy in the car commercial

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: