Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive » Rumors
User Name
Password
The Village Too
04-20-2006, 06:19 PM

OK

A big complaint about the new album is that there's stuff there, but they don't build it up enough into a toolgasm.

So a lot of people love it and a lot of people are let down. Why? Because it is a watered-down version of what to come. So, we WILL hear the material on the new album, but it'll be complete, and unhandicapped. Think 10,000 days makes you cry now? Wait till they fucking drop the real tool bomb on your ass on May 2nd (or soon after that, when they release an even realer album). The leaked album isn't fake; nay, it is a teaser.

Take for instance 4:20 in Wings for marie (pt 1), where they have built up the most kickass groove and then they just kill it by hitting a D power chord and letting it fade out. They do it in wings 2 as well. Why the hell would they do such a thing? Is it supposed to mean "something that was beautiful just got cut short" like Judith Marie Keenan? No. Because that's fucking dogass. You don't do that to a song. That's like falling asleep in the middle of giving someone a blowjob. It's a big fuck you to the assholes (including myself) who downloaded the leaked album, but they made it so that it'd still be consistent with reviews at various listening sessions. Do you catch my groove?

Last edited by The Village Too; 04-20-2006 at 06:25 PM..
Old 04-20-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17
Album is teaser. They will release a modified version of this

OK

A big complaint about the new album is that there's stuff there, but they don't build it up enough into a toolgasm.

So a lot of people love it and a lot of people are let down. Why? Because it is a watered-down version of what to come. So, we WILL hear the material on the new album, but it'll be complete, and unhandicapped. Think 10,000 days makes you cry now? Wait till they fucking drop the real tool bomb on your ass on May 2nd (or soon after that, when they release an even realer album). The leaked album isn't fake; nay, it is a teaser.

Take for instance 4:20 in Wings for marie (pt 1), where they have built up the most kickass groove and then they just kill it by hitting a D power chord and letting it fade out. They do it in wings 2 as well. Why the hell would they do such a thing? Is it supposed to mean "something that was beautiful just got cut short" like Judith Marie Keenan? No. Because that's fucking dogass. You don't do that to a song. That's like falling asleep in the middle of giving someone a blowjob. It's a big fuck you to the assholes (including myself) who downloaded the leaked album, but they made it so that it'd still be consistent with reviews at various listening sessions. Do you catch my groove?

Last edited by The Village Too; 04-20-2006 at 06:25 PM..
OFFLINE |  
right_in_three's Avatar right_in_three
04-20-2006, 06:21 PM

I catch it.

I wonder what we would all do when we go to the stores on May 2nd and see a diff Tool album?
Not saying it'll happen but it'd be nice to have that much more TOOL.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 16
Re: Album is teaser. They will release a modified version of this

I catch it.

I wonder what we would all do when we go to the stores on May 2nd and see a diff Tool album?
Not saying it'll happen but it'd be nice to have that much more TOOL.
04-20-2006, 06:22 PM

this thread is a laffriotspectacular

thank you
Old 04-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

this thread is a laffriotspectacular

thank you
OFFLINE |  
Nikola Petrovic's Avatar Nikola Petrovic
04-20-2006, 06:23 PM

the albums real
Old 04-20-2006, 06:23 PM   #4
Banned.

Bincount™: 5505

the albums real
OFFLINE |  
Jesus Knievel's Avatar Jesus Knievel
04-20-2006, 06:23 PM

yes tool wasted all the money it takes to produce and record an album just to trick its fans

GG TOOL!!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 1733

yes tool wasted all the money it takes to produce and record an album just to trick its fans

GG TOOL!!
OFFLINE |  
Kurtz
04-20-2006, 06:24 PM

he's serious........oh man.....he's actually serious....
Old 04-20-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

OFFLINE |  
kyyuulle's Avatar kyyuulle
04-20-2006, 06:25 PM

this version sounds unmixed or unmastered
Old 04-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

OFFLINE |  
The Village Too
04-20-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz
He is? Well maybe you can just go fuck yourself!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz
He is? Well maybe you can just go fuck yourself!
OFFLINE |  
ProdigyDub's Avatar ProdigyDub
04-20-2006, 06:27 PM

It's really funny how anyone using even 1% of their brain could think that a band and their producer would waste immense amounts of time and money recording a full length album that "wasn't real".

To the original poster: don't let the fact that you don't like certain sections of some of the songs confuse you into thinking they're not the real, final deal. Your opinion is irrelevant to what Tool actually recorded.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #9
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

It's really funny how anyone using even 1% of their brain could think that a band and their producer would waste immense amounts of time and money recording a full length album that "wasn't real".

To the original poster: don't let the fact that you don't like certain sections of some of the songs confuse you into thinking they're not the real, final deal. Your opinion is irrelevant to what Tool actually recorded.
OFFLINE |  
babbletonic
04-20-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyyuulle
you must have a fake version then...
Old 04-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
you must have a fake version then...
OFFLINE |  
The Village Too
04-20-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub

It wouldn't be hard to make a teaser album from existing material. or it's a b-sides album... but i think it's a teaser
Old 04-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

It wouldn't be hard to make a teaser album from existing material. or it's a b-sides album... but i think it's a teaser
OFFLINE |  
fault's Avatar fault
04-20-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Too
OK

Its like you read my mind. But i'm too pussy to have started a thread about it. The build is there then it goes nowhere. Its just so un-tool. Its like this is the album with the good bits gutted and replaced with filler. Album and Titles stay the same, songs just get unleashed.

I've avoided the other hoax threads as it seemed far to implausible. This is how I believe/wish/pray it to happen.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
OK

Its like you read my mind. But i'm too pussy to have started a thread about it. The build is there then it goes nowhere. Its just so un-tool. Its like this is the album with the good bits gutted and replaced with filler. Album and Titles stay the same, songs just get unleashed.

I've avoided the other hoax threads as it seemed far to implausible. This is how I believe/wish/pray it to happen.
04-20-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:

I think this is the most plausible scenario in which we will be getting a "different" album come may 2nd. It just seems too farfetched that tool wud go thru all the trouble of making some b-sides or fake songs in the off chance that this FAKE material would leak. For all these conspiracy theories to be true, it would mean that tool would have to insure that the songs people are downloading now would get leaked in the first place. How could they be 100% sure that the "REAL" album wouldnt get leaked too?

I do have some doubts about this cd being the complete and final album, but simply for that reason quoted above. Vicarious (the only official single) seems to be far more produced than any other song (except for "10000 days" with the thunderstorm effect)

While I won't be overly dissapointed if this is the final product, I do feel like there is something missing in this record in terms of "finishing," if you will, after 5 years in the making

By finishing...i mean the final mastering/production
Old 04-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #13
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 1

Quote:

I think this is the most plausible scenario in which we will be getting a "different" album come may 2nd. It just seems too farfetched that tool wud go thru all the trouble of making some b-sides or fake songs in the off chance that this FAKE material would leak. For all these conspiracy theories to be true, it would mean that tool would have to insure that the songs people are downloading now would get leaked in the first place. How could they be 100% sure that the "REAL" album wouldnt get leaked too?

I do have some doubts about this cd being the complete and final album, but simply for that reason quoted above. Vicarious (the only official single) seems to be far more produced than any other song (except for "10000 days" with the thunderstorm effect)

While I won't be overly dissapointed if this is the final product, I do feel like there is something missing in this record in terms of "finishing," if you will, after 5 years in the making

By finishing...i mean the final mastering/production
OFFLINE |  
ProdigyDub's Avatar ProdigyDub
04-20-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
You have absolutely no idea how hard it would be.

Do you honestly think a band of professionals who have already proven themselves time and time again would waste their time and effort with something like that? I'm sure between all their respective side projects, family/friends, and other interests in life they all agreed that the best thing to do would be to record a bunch a fake stuff. That makes perfect sense.

Seriously, try and step out of your body for a second. Pretend you're one of the 4 members of Tool. What in the HELL would be your motivation for doing something like that?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:

Do you honestly think a band of professionals who have already proven themselves time and time again would waste their time and effort with something like that? I'm sure between all their respective side projects, family/friends, and other interests in life they all agreed that the best thing to do would be to record a bunch a fake stuff. That makes perfect sense.

Seriously, try and step out of your body for a second. Pretend you're one of the 4 members of Tool. What in the HELL would be your motivation for doing something like that?
OFFLINE |  
Leroy Brown's Avatar Leroy Brown
04-20-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
OK

not at all.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:35 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
OK

not at all.
OFFLINE |  
drape
04-20-2006, 06:36 PM

i agree 100% with what this guy is saying
"The build is there, then it goes nowhere"
Old 04-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #16
Level 4 - Thinker

i agree 100% with what this guy is saying
"The build is there, then it goes nowhere"
OFFLINE |  
fault's Avatar fault
04-20-2006, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Do you honestly think a band of professionals who have already proven themselves time and time again would waste their time and effort with something like that?
I agree it sounds silly, but the fact they have proven themselves time and time again - yet to me the album is empty and hollow makes me question it.

Hopefully its more than wishful thinking. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Do you honestly think a band of professionals who have already proven themselves time and time again would waste their time and effort with something like that?
I agree it sounds silly, but the fact they have proven themselves time and time again - yet to me the album is empty and hollow makes me question it.

Hopefully its more than wishful thinking. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
04-20-2006, 06:37 PM

any chance that this is the REAL album, but they will arrange it differently on tour? perhaps an 8 minute tune will be expanded into the 20 minute jam version...or maybe not.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #18
Banned.

Bincount™: 70

any chance that this is the REAL album, but they will arrange it differently on tour? perhaps an 8 minute tune will be expanded into the 20 minute jam version...or maybe not.
OFFLINE |  
Vegama
04-20-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
You know. I don't doubt anything... I was sitting there thinking... "Why wouldn't Tool do this? If any band could get away with something like that, it could be them."
Old 04-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #19
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
You know. I don't doubt anything... I was sitting there thinking... "Why wouldn't Tool do this? If any band could get away with something like that, it could be them."
OFFLINE |  
Dungflowers

Gotta love those 70 minute teasers.....hahahaha.

If this album is a teaser, then the REAL album must be 8 days long!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #20
Level 4 - Thinker

Gotta love those 70 minute teasers.....hahahaha.

If this album is a teaser, then the REAL album must be 8 days long!

the only seriously plausible explanation of this being a "fake album" is if it's a b-sides album.

if so, it's probably one of the best B-sides collections i've ever heard.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #21
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Location: UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE UNBAN SHADE IMO
Bincount™: 8627

the only seriously plausible explanation of this being a "fake album" is if it's a b-sides album.

if so, it's probably one of the best B-sides collections i've ever heard.
04-20-2006, 06:45 PM

Allow me to fan the flames a bit. Over here in Norway people tend to be a bit unconcerned about these things, socialist buggers as we are. Hence all the pretention of such an act as releasing to albums or whatnot would be seen upon as bothersome and succinctly ignored. Combine that with a complete lack of work ethics and a lack of follow up due to too much equality and you have a perfect environment for stupid things to happen.

So, here's what I've got. On CDON.no, the track listing for 10,000 days shows the titles as "XXXX"- main version.

I.e. 01- Vicarious- main version etc. for all tracks.

Does this give credence to anything? Probably not, but I'm looking forward to talking about the conspiracy theories around the time of the release of the next album (if, in deed, there will be one), and proudly proclaiming that I vicariously (meme virus) fanned the flames. :)
Vigniti tres gradus ad summam potestatem.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:45 PM   #22
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Allow me to fan the flames a bit. Over here in Norway people tend to be a bit unconcerned about these things, socialist buggers as we are. Hence all the pretention of such an act as releasing to albums or whatnot would be seen upon as bothersome and succinctly ignored. Combine that with a complete lack of work ethics and a lack of follow up due to too much equality and you have a perfect environment for stupid things to happen.

So, here's what I've got. On CDON.no, the track listing for 10,000 days shows the titles as "XXXX"- main version.

I.e. 01- Vicarious- main version etc. for all tracks.

Does this give credence to anything? Probably not, but I'm looking forward to talking about the conspiracy theories around the time of the release of the next album (if, in deed, there will be one), and proudly proclaiming that I vicariously (meme virus) fanned the flames. :)
Vigniti tres gradus ad summam potestatem.
OFFLINE |  
oneredflag's Avatar oneredflag
04-20-2006, 06:47 PM

nevermind

Shit the bed?

TDN is for entertainment purposes ONLY.

Last edited by oneredflag; 04-20-2006 at 07:04 PM..
Old 04-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #23
Flying in the wind (tdn $upporter)

Bincount™: 1282

nevermind

Shit the bed?

TDN is for entertainment purposes ONLY.

Last edited by oneredflag; 04-20-2006 at 07:04 PM..
OFFLINE |  
fault's Avatar fault
04-20-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredflag
Holy shit I just heard some of it and I am very very confused.
I mean I am the guy mocking all the "hoax/decoy honks" and I still can't add up any logic that says decoy, but for the first time there is a flicker of doubt
Lol... try wings at 4:15 like mentioned earlier? They could easily have ripped the good bit from it , written that average progression in 5mins and recorded it. Voila!

I'm not usually one for conspiricy theories, but i'm so bummed by the album i'm almost convinced of this.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredflag
Holy shit I just heard some of it and I am very very confused.
I mean I am the guy mocking all the "hoax/decoy honks" and I still can't add up any logic that says decoy, but for the first time there is a flicker of doubt
Lol... try wings at 4:15 like mentioned earlier? They could easily have ripped the good bit from it , written that average progression in 5mins and recorded it. Voila!

I'm not usually one for conspiricy theories, but i'm so bummed by the album i'm almost convinced of this.
04-20-2006, 06:50 PM

If you're going to post against the thread starter at least get your shit straight. He's not implying they created two completely different albums. He's suggesting that this is in fact the real album, but not exactly finished (i.e. not completely mixed/mastered, maybe not all the musical elements are there, etc.). This wouldn't cost them extra time or money, basically leaking the album themselves before it was complete. And, you ask, what is the motivation? Simple, make everyone think they have the record early so that people aren't trying as hard to steal and leak the real album.

Having said all that, I don't necessarily support the idea presented here.

Last edited by Dionysus74; 04-20-2006 at 06:53 PM..
Old 04-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

If you're going to post against the thread starter at least get your shit straight. He's not implying they created two completely different albums. He's suggesting that this is in fact the real album, but not exactly finished (i.e. not completely mixed/mastered, maybe not all the musical elements are there, etc.). This wouldn't cost them extra time or money, basically leaking the album themselves before it was complete. And, you ask, what is the motivation? Simple, make everyone think they have the record early so that people aren't trying as hard to steal and leak the real album.

Having said all that, I don't necessarily support the idea presented here.

Last edited by Dionysus74; 04-20-2006 at 06:53 PM..
OFFLINE |  
fault's Avatar fault
04-20-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus74
If you're going to post against the thread starter at least get your shit straight. He's not implying they created to completely different albums. He's suggesting that this is in fact the real album, but not exactly finished (i.e. not completely mixed/mastered, maybe not all the musical elements are there, etc.). This wouldn't cost them extra time or money, basically leaking the album themselves before it was complete. And, you ask, what is the motivation? Simple, make everyone think they have the record early so that people aren't trying as hard to steal and leak the real album.
Perfectly summed up.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus74
If you're going to post against the thread starter at least get your shit straight. He's not implying they created to completely different albums. He's suggesting that this is in fact the real album, but not exactly finished (i.e. not completely mixed/mastered, maybe not all the musical elements are there, etc.). This wouldn't cost them extra time or money, basically leaking the album themselves before it was complete. And, you ask, what is the motivation? Simple, make everyone think they have the record early so that people aren't trying as hard to steal and leak the real album.
Perfectly summed up.
04-20-2006, 06:52 PM

This could very much be the case in my opinion.

Specifically about the non-mastered part.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4

This could very much be the case in my opinion.

Specifically about the non-mastered part.
OFFLINE |  
CallofCthulhu's Avatar CallofCthulhu
04-20-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
OK

The ONLY WAY I'LL AGREE WITH ANY OF THIS is if maybe we have older mixes of songs. Such as when System of a Down - Steal This Album came out, I downloaded an older mix of Innervision. Sounds exactly the same as the real release except for a few changes. This is the album though, so on the other hand I dont agree with you at all. Hahah980awhawh.

And you know that thread about Jambi and the gong? Remember in that one Tool newsletter where they had to ship in extra audio equipment just to remove a little bit of noise from this one song............hmmmmmm
Old 04-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #28
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
OK

The ONLY WAY I'LL AGREE WITH ANY OF THIS is if maybe we have older mixes of songs. Such as when System of a Down - Steal This Album came out, I downloaded an older mix of Innervision. Sounds exactly the same as the real release except for a few changes. This is the album though, so on the other hand I dont agree with you at all. Hahah980awhawh.

And you know that thread about Jambi and the gong? Remember in that one Tool newsletter where they had to ship in extra audio equipment just to remove a little bit of noise from this one song............hmmmmmm
OFFLINE |  
buster hymen's Avatar buster hymen
04-20-2006, 06:55 PM

viginty tres - 23 - only 2/3 of the final product?

It likely couldn't be a multiple disc set because it would seriously screw all of the retailers and especially those with pre-sales (pre-paid or not). A watered down version then makes sense and therefore the band didn't spent a bunch of time on fakes instead a remix to fuck with fans hmm..........

I hate to buy into the conspiracy theory stuff just to be let down on may 2.

also, I really like the production level on this album much better than lateralus, seems looser and to me more natural.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:55 PM   #29
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

viginty tres - 23 - only 2/3 of the final product?

It likely couldn't be a multiple disc set because it would seriously screw all of the retailers and especially those with pre-sales (pre-paid or not). A watered down version then makes sense and therefore the band didn't spent a bunch of time on fakes instead a remix to fuck with fans hmm..........

I hate to buy into the conspiracy theory stuff just to be let down on may 2.

also, I really like the production level on this album much better than lateralus, seems looser and to me more natural.
OFFLINE |  
TREVORISMATT
04-20-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
No, it really doesnt. Listen to it with a nice set of headphones
Old 04-20-2006, 06:55 PM   #30
On Probation

Quote:
No, it really doesnt. Listen to it with a nice set of headphones
OFFLINE |  
/V\agina's Avatar /V\agina
04-20-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
...that's fucking dogass...
mmm... doughnuts...
Old 04-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #31
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 22

Quote:
...that's fucking dogass...
mmm... doughnuts...
04-20-2006, 07:54 PM

It's full of crackles and pops on nice speakers too... but then again alot of finished albums are these days.

Pisses me off... they must expect that everyone listens to it on standard iPod earbuds or some shit.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #32
Level 3 - Talker

It's full of crackles and pops on nice speakers too... but then again alot of finished albums are these days.

Pisses me off... they must expect that everyone listens to it on standard iPod earbuds or some shit.
04-20-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
I noticed this, but put it down to a shitty rip.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #33
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
I noticed this, but put it down to a shitty rip.
04-20-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
that's fucking dogass.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:03 PM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 32

Quote:
that's fucking dogass.
OFFLINE |  
The/Perfect/Tool's Avatar The/Perfect/Tool
04-20-2006, 08:09 PM

I hope this is the case, although I know it's not.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #35
Banned.

Bincount™: 1015

I hope this is the case, although I know it's not.
OFFLINE |  
Alcawhorlick's Avatar Alcawhorlick
04-20-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
OK

Sounds plausible to me.
I remember hearing different versions of what I think was most of Pearl Jam's "Ten", plus a song or two which weren't on the album a while after it was released.
I wonder if it would make sense to leak outtakes of the very album you plan on releasing though. What would be the benefit? Would it really thwart leakage?
The real versions would leak eventually anyway. Do they really want bastardized versions of their songs floating around?

Unless they are just the rejected lateralus-era songs that chancellor spoke of in the 2001 interviews, just finished/polished up a little. In which case the real tracks would be completely different, and would leak eventually as well.

Might not be worth the trouble. It's an interesting concept though.
Also, this album is sorta disappointing. Looks like they should have worked on it longer than 1 1/2 years or whatever.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #36
Banned.

Quote:
OK

Sounds plausible to me.
I remember hearing different versions of what I think was most of Pearl Jam's "Ten", plus a song or two which weren't on the album a while after it was released.
I wonder if it would make sense to leak outtakes of the very album you plan on releasing though. What would be the benefit? Would it really thwart leakage?
The real versions would leak eventually anyway. Do they really want bastardized versions of their songs floating around?

Unless they are just the rejected lateralus-era songs that chancellor spoke of in the 2001 interviews, just finished/polished up a little. In which case the real tracks would be completely different, and would leak eventually as well.

Might not be worth the trouble. It's an interesting concept though.
Also, this album is sorta disappointing. Looks like they should have worked on it longer than 1 1/2 years or whatever.
OFFLINE |  
fault's Avatar fault
04-20-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcawhorlick
Sounds plausible to me.
Best argument I can make is the longer you hold out before the leak, the more first day sales you get. If the leak is indeed a "slimmed down" version, imagine the publicitiy it would recieve.

Agreed its a big task to achieve such a stunt, but to me this album holds very little i love about tool, and up to this point they've been consistantly amazing. Unnaturally amazing. 10KD is anti-climatic, linear and shallow. Something smells fishy.

But if this indeed is the final album, then so be it.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcawhorlick
Sounds plausible to me.
Best argument I can make is the longer you hold out before the leak, the more first day sales you get. If the leak is indeed a "slimmed down" version, imagine the publicitiy it would recieve.

Agreed its a big task to achieve such a stunt, but to me this album holds very little i love about tool, and up to this point they've been consistantly amazing. Unnaturally amazing. 10KD is anti-climatic, linear and shallow. Something smells fishy.

OFFLINE |  
asears05
04-20-2006, 09:49 PM

I wouldnt usually lend much credence to conspiracy theories, but I actually had a version of "We Ride" by strapping young lad on my computer, then when I went and bought the album the two songs werent exactly alike. Much like what the original poster is hinting at. The version I had on my PC was missing a solo and a cool crunchy riff that grooved along with it which both happened to be present on the album version.

I dont mean to fan the flames but it could be possible.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:49 PM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

I wouldnt usually lend much credence to conspiracy theories, but I actually had a version of "We Ride" by strapping young lad on my computer, then when I went and bought the album the two songs werent exactly alike. Much like what the original poster is hinting at. The version I had on my PC was missing a solo and a cool crunchy riff that grooved along with it which both happened to be present on the album version.

I dont mean to fan the flames but it could be possible.
OFFLINE |  
ryzur's Avatar ryzur
04-20-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fault

Definitely. I hope very dearly in my heart that this is really what is going on. That there is somehow more to this whole thing than what appears to be on the surface. I mean come on isnt that what Tool is all about? To me, such a stunt makes perfect "Tool" sense. They have consistently become better over the years (Unless of course if this is the real album) and have always been pushing their limits. Take the song Lateralus, "push the envelope, watch it bend". They have also consistently fucked with us. People grow but people also stay the same. Its all a pattern and I won't believe this is the real deal until May 2nd.

Also, just to touch on the reasoning behind such a stunt, it makes so much sense from what I have always seen Tool's main message be; Think for yourself, question authority. Tool have become an authority figure so to speak to many of their fans. To release such a musically low quality album as a decoy, they would be decieving all of us here on these very forums who look to Tool for answers. Maybe they aren't the Gods we make them out to be? I personally get the feeling maybe they want us to realize that they are just people too. Capable of mediocrity. Maybe we should instead look for the answers within ourselves?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:57 PM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fault

Definitely. I hope very dearly in my heart that this is really what is going on. That there is somehow more to this whole thing than what appears to be on the surface. I mean come on isnt that what Tool is all about? To me, such a stunt makes perfect "Tool" sense. They have consistently become better over the years (Unless of course if this is the real album) and have always been pushing their limits. Take the song Lateralus, "push the envelope, watch it bend". They have also consistently fucked with us. People grow but people also stay the same. Its all a pattern and I won't believe this is the real deal until May 2nd.

Also, just to touch on the reasoning behind such a stunt, it makes so much sense from what I have always seen Tool's main message be; Think for yourself, question authority. Tool have become an authority figure so to speak to many of their fans. To release such a musically low quality album as a decoy, they would be decieving all of us here on these very forums who look to Tool for answers. Maybe they aren't the Gods we make them out to be? I personally get the feeling maybe they want us to realize that they are just people too. Capable of mediocrity. Maybe we should instead look for the answers within ourselves?
04-20-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Do you actually know what an unmastered mix sounds like? I am not trynig to take the piss, I am just wondering. In terms of mix, well, I haven't stolen the album so I don't know what it sounds like, but I do know it was engineered by Joe Barresi (The Melvins, Kyuss) who takes a very different approach to David Bottrill (Lateralus, Salival, King Crimson). I would say Joe's approach could be discribed as less engineered than David's.

As for mastering, basically the main goal there is to bring the album in line with itself and all other albums. This means the overall volume of the tracks should be the same as each other and all other albums in general. So that when it gets played on the radio the song doesn't suddenly blow your speakers because its so much louder than everything else (or it's so quiet you have to turn the amp right up).

If it is an unmixed or unmastered version of the album that has leaked then I think the band would really like to know because that could seriously narrow down the number of possible people who could have leaked it.

But the idea of the band throwing it out there deliberately? I highly doubt it. Ingenious in some respects but extremely wasteful nonetheless.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:29 PM   #40
Banned.

Bincount™: 1157

Quote:
Do you actually know what an unmastered mix sounds like? I am not trynig to take the piss, I am just wondering. In terms of mix, well, I haven't stolen the album so I don't know what it sounds like, but I do know it was engineered by Joe Barresi (The Melvins, Kyuss) who takes a very different approach to David Bottrill (Lateralus, Salival, King Crimson). I would say Joe's approach could be discribed as less engineered than David's.

As for mastering, basically the main goal there is to bring the album in line with itself and all other albums. This means the overall volume of the tracks should be the same as each other and all other albums in general. So that when it gets played on the radio the song doesn't suddenly blow your speakers because its so much louder than everything else (or it's so quiet you have to turn the amp right up).

If it is an unmixed or unmastered version of the album that has leaked then I think the band would really like to know because that could seriously narrow down the number of possible people who could have leaked it.

But the idea of the band throwing it out there deliberately? I highly doubt it. Ingenious in some respects but extremely wasteful nonetheless.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply