Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive » Rumors
User Name
Password
kubrick
04-19-2006, 10:52 AM

There are several things that lead me to believe this is fake:

1. The lyrics not only aren't good, they aren't Tool. "Sh*t the Bed?", "Monkeys" Come on.

2. The Pot - Enough said.

3. Vicarious was "accidentally" leaked on Good Friday, 3 days before it was to hit the airwaves. This is the "first track" on this "album". However, it is the only track that has the same production qualities and intricacies as earlier albums. The other tracks are very lacking, not only musically, but technically. LIsten to Vicarious and then the other tracks and you'll see what I mean. So in essance, if it were a fake, then they would have to "leak" Vicarious, for it to be real and on radio stations, and then all of a sudden, one day after the radio single, release the whole "album" to make it all seem real and in sync. Very well done.

4. No one has ever claimed to take so many precautions to prevent an album from leaking, and it has leaked earlier than any album in the history of recording.

5. What is the original source for the download? Does anyone know? Probably Tool themselves.

6. Regardless as to whether this is the real album or not, "die-hard" Tool fans should admit that this is not up to par. If it's real, it's a step down, if it's fake, thank goodness. This album shouldn't be liked just because it's Tool.

7. Where are the memorable melodies of Maynard? Even Laturalus was a large departure from previous albums, but still has "Saturn ascends, chose one or ten..." and "I must keep reminding myself of this..." etc. None of these memorable moments happens other than on Vicarious - the only real track.

8. If any band out there has the power and capability to pull something like this off, then it's Tool.

9. Remember, Kabir likes his pranks (April Fools): hence his review convieniently showing up "1 week later"....gimme a break. This is a very sophisticated prank, and I'm just glad I didn't fall for it. If it's not a prank, then my foot will be in my mouth.

Nonetheless, it would be foolish to dismiss this as a possibility considering the lack of information we have. Tool and Kabir are teaching us a lesson. In two weeks, I'll either look like a genius or complete idiot.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
Hoax Warrants Consideration

1. The lyrics not only aren't good, they aren't Tool. "Sh*t the Bed?", "Monkeys" Come on.

3. Vicarious was "accidentally" leaked on Good Friday, 3 days before it was to hit the airwaves. This is the "first track" on this "album". However, it is the only track that has the same production qualities and intricacies as earlier albums. The other tracks are very lacking, not only musically, but technically. LIsten to Vicarious and then the other tracks and you'll see what I mean. So in essance, if it were a fake, then they would have to "leak" Vicarious, for it to be real and on radio stations, and then all of a sudden, one day after the radio single, release the whole "album" to make it all seem real and in sync. Very well done.

4. No one has ever claimed to take so many precautions to prevent an album from leaking, and it has leaked earlier than any album in the history of recording.

5. What is the original source for the download? Does anyone know? Probably Tool themselves.

6. Regardless as to whether this is the real album or not, "die-hard" Tool fans should admit that this is not up to par. If it's real, it's a step down, if it's fake, thank goodness. This album shouldn't be liked just because it's Tool.

7. Where are the memorable melodies of Maynard? Even Laturalus was a large departure from previous albums, but still has "Saturn ascends, chose one or ten..." and "I must keep reminding myself of this..." etc. None of these memorable moments happens other than on Vicarious - the only real track.

8. If any band out there has the power and capability to pull something like this off, then it's Tool.

9. Remember, Kabir likes his pranks (April Fools): hence his review convieniently showing up "1 week later"....gimme a break. This is a very sophisticated prank, and I'm just glad I didn't fall for it. If it's not a prank, then my foot will be in my mouth.

Nonetheless, it would be foolish to dismiss this as a possibility considering the lack of information we have. Tool and Kabir are teaching us a lesson. In two weeks, I'll either look like a genius or complete idiot.
OFFLINE |  
shorabali's Avatar shorabali
04-19-2006, 10:54 AM

proabaly idiot
Old 04-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 33
Re: Hoax Warrants Consideration

proabaly idiot
04-19-2006, 10:55 AM

Definitely "idiot."
Old 04-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Definitely "idiot."
OFFLINE |  
Valediction
04-19-2006, 10:56 AM

I just hope you go away and spare us more of the exhaust fumes from the back of your mind, definately wouldnt' pass inspection.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I just hope you go away and spare us more of the exhaust fumes from the back of your mind, definately wouldnt' pass inspection.
OFFLINE |  
Sasha's Avatar Sasha

I really want to believe, but I have a feeling I'll be satisifed as is.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
The most Bosnianest of us all

Bincount™: 4279

I really want to believe, but I have a feeling I'll be satisifed as is.
OFFLINE |  
psilomind's Avatar psilomind

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmorteferoz
Definitely "idiot."
Old 04-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmorteferoz
Definitely "idiot."
04-19-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrick4
No one has ever claimed to take so many precautions to prevent an album from leaking, and it has leaked earlier than any album in the history of recording.
I stopped reading here.

Ignorance will only get you so far. Then you just look stupid.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
On Probation

Bincount™: 8929

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrick4
No one has ever claimed to take so many precautions to prevent an album from leaking, and it has leaked earlier than any album in the history of recording.
I stopped reading here.

Ignorance will only get you so far. Then you just look stupid.
OFFLINE |  
Kurt Russell's Avatar Kurt Russell
04-19-2006, 10:57 AM

Oh my goddddddddddddddd shut upppppppppppp

Edit: not you oce
Old 04-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 702

Oh my goddddddddddddddd shut upppppppppppp

Edit: not you oce
OFFLINE |  
Windir's Avatar Windir
04-19-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubrick
This is where I stopped reading.
In Flames' new album was leaked 4 months before the release.
'Nuff said.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
Banned at user request

Bincount™: 4029

Quote:
This is where I stopped reading.
In Flames' new album was leaked 4 months before the release.
'Nuff said.
OFFLINE |  
kubrick
04-19-2006, 11:00 AM

There is no evidence to support that it isn't a fake. If you have it, come forward.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #10
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

There is no evidence to support that it isn't a fake. If you have it, come forward.
OFFLINE |  
Ocelot199's Avatar Ocelot199
04-19-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Its 2 weeks before its scheduled release. The reason it leaked is probably because somebody snagged on off a packaging line at a distribution center. If a 'real' album was going to be released in 2 weeks, it would have been the one snagged from the packaging line, not 10,000 Days.

Evidence enough for you?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
On Probation

Quote:
Its 2 weeks before its scheduled release. The reason it leaked is probably because somebody snagged on off a packaging line at a distribution center. If a 'real' album was going to be released in 2 weeks, it would have been the one snagged from the packaging line, not 10,000 Days.

Evidence enough for you?
OFFLINE |  
kubrick
04-19-2006, 11:03 AM

Not even close.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Not even close.
OFFLINE |  
Cronos's Avatar Cronos
04-19-2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I was on top of the hoax bit before you, so I'll look like the genius here and everyone will praise me for speaking out against the man. Right now though, it's hard to keep fighting the good fight. So, support my thread and all will be well.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #13
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507

Quote:
I was on top of the hoax bit before you, so I'll look like the genius here and everyone will praise me for speaking out against the man. Right now though, it's hard to keep fighting the good fight. So, support my thread and all will be well.
OFFLINE |  
Ocelot199's Avatar Ocelot199
04-19-2006, 11:05 AM

Then you obviously have no idea how retailers work.

In places like Australia, the release is 9 days away (April 28th). It is completely impossible to suddenly switch albums 9 days before release.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #14
On Probation

Then you obviously have no idea how retailers work.

In places like Australia, the release is 9 days away (April 28th). It is completely impossible to suddenly switch albums 9 days before release.
OFFLINE |  
clarity.'s Avatar clarity.
04-19-2006, 11:07 AM

Another reason: so many recurring musical elements from Tool's past work.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #15
a moon full of stars
Suicide Booth ID: 23

Bincount™: 6220

Another reason: so many recurring musical elements from Tool's past work.
04-19-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:

you are motherfucking wrong, bro.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #16
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 3773

Quote:

you are motherfucking wrong, bro.
04-19-2006, 11:09 AM

You guys are forgetting one very important thing. Even if it is a fake, the "real" album is going to have to go through the same distribution lines as this one. So its going to get snagged and leaked just the same. How does this change anything? I don't think just because we have a new album people won't notice when something else by Tool is suddenly about to ship out.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2025

You guys are forgetting one very important thing. Even if it is a fake, the "real" album is going to have to go through the same distribution lines as this one. So its going to get snagged and leaked just the same. How does this change anything? I don't think just because we have a new album people won't notice when something else by Tool is suddenly about to ship out.
Perseensilmä's Avatar Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos
So, I was on top of you too? I had already changed direction before you even started talking about it. So, I am pretty much one step ahead.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:11 AM   #18
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
So, I was on top of you too? I had already changed direction before you even started talking about it. So, I am pretty much one step ahead.
04-19-2006, 11:13 AM

are you kidding me, am I actually reading this?? The album was amazing (for me). A hoax? Give me a fucking break.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #19
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

are you kidding me, am I actually reading this?? The album was amazing (for me). A hoax? Give me a fucking break.
04-19-2006, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseensilmä
Actually, you were tapping into the collective unconscious, and we both happened to strike onto the same ideas at relatively the same time. My post derived from listening to the album, and not the Vicarious is a hoax gig.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Actually, you were tapping into the collective unconscious, and we both happened to strike onto the same ideas at relatively the same time. My post derived from listening to the album, and not the Vicarious is a hoax gig.
OFFLINE |  
Aemima
04-19-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Nobilitas
But there's no evidence that that's how it was leaked is there?

I'm not sure if I buy the whole hoax thing either, but the band could have quite easily leaked this thierselves to make it look like it had been stolen or whatever, it'd be a pretty clever move imo.

If this is real then i'm still very happy with it, but I have a nagging feeling that somethings not quite right. Come May 1st i'll be happy either way.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sine Nobilitas
But there's no evidence that that's how it was leaked is there?

I'm not sure if I buy the whole hoax thing either, but the band could have quite easily leaked this thierselves to make it look like it had been stolen or whatever, it'd be a pretty clever move imo.

If this is real then i'm still very happy with it, but I have a nagging feeling that somethings not quite right. Come May 1st i'll be happy either way.
04-19-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Hey man, I smelled the bullshit BEFORE the leak!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #22
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
04-19-2006, 11:23 AM

That pretty much means that I am better than you.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #23
Level 12 - Scurrilous

That pretty much means that I am better than you.
04-19-2006, 11:28 AM

Dude! I was around like 3-4 days ago with the same hoax idea (I think I may post mine later). Don't know if I posted early enough to snag a victory, though.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #24
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 495

Dude! I was around like 3-4 days ago with the same hoax idea (I think I may post mine later). Don't know if I posted early enough to snag a victory, though.
04-19-2006, 11:29 AM

i posted a thread on this too (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=42016). same results/responses. we'll just have to see.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #25
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

i posted a thread on this too (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=42016). same results/responses. we'll just have to see.
04-19-2006, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Ok, so you MAY have posted it first technically, but you posted it in the crappiest section on the boards. Mine was posted where it would get more hits. You must admit though, that it is time once again to embrace the hoax.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Ok, so you MAY have posted it first technically, but you posted it in the crappiest section on the boards. Mine was posted where it would get more hits. You must admit though, that it is time once again to embrace the hoax.
OFFLINE |  
Cronos's Avatar Cronos
04-19-2006, 11:31 AM

Only more evidence of the collective unconscious that Dr. Carl Jung spoke of.

WE ARE ALL ONE MIND!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #27

Only more evidence of the collective unconscious that Dr. Carl Jung spoke of.

WE ARE ALL ONE MIND!
OFFLINE |  
toolloot's Avatar toolloot
04-19-2006, 11:32 AM

I'm staying neutral on this fake or not thing. I have no strong feelings either way. If it is fake, then as far as I'm concerned we'll be getting two sweet CDs. I doubt it's fake because a lot of things that were reported to be on the album, are on the album. For example, the Talk Box Adam uses etc.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #28
Medium Pimpin'

Bincount™: 1282

I'm staying neutral on this fake or not thing. I have no strong feelings either way. If it is fake, then as far as I'm concerned we'll be getting two sweet CDs. I doubt it's fake because a lot of things that were reported to be on the album, are on the album. For example, the Talk Box Adam uses etc.
OFFLINE |  
Asmo
04-19-2006, 11:35 AM

Anyone who is still considering that this could be fake, need to keep away from the drugs a bit I think........that's the most stupid reasoning I've heard in a long long time. Even though the entire album has leaked and is amazing ........."NO NO !! WE'RE STILL BEING FUCKED WITH I CAN FEEL IT. BLAIR IS GOING TO POST SOMETHING CRYPTIC AND ITS GOING TO PROVE THAT THIS IS ALL A HOAX! YOU'RE ALL SUCKERS !!!!"

No, you're just psychotic.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #29
On Probation

Anyone who is still considering that this could be fake, need to keep away from the drugs a bit I think........that's the most stupid reasoning I've heard in a long long time. Even though the entire album has leaked and is amazing ........."NO NO !! WE'RE STILL BEING FUCKED WITH I CAN FEEL IT. BLAIR IS GOING TO POST SOMETHING CRYPTIC AND ITS GOING TO PROVE THAT THIS IS ALL A HOAX! YOU'RE ALL SUCKERS !!!!"

OFFLINE |  
toolloot's Avatar toolloot
04-19-2006, 11:36 AM

It's Tool's fault for fucking with us in the past.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #30
Medium Pimpin'

Bincount™: 1282

It's Tool's fault for fucking with us in the past.
OFFLINE |  
Cronos's Avatar Cronos
04-19-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmo

Blair didn't post anything cryptic, he even alluded to Tool working on a decoy album. If that's cryptic, then I don't know straightforwardness.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmo

Blair didn't post anything cryptic, he even alluded to Tool working on a decoy album. If that's cryptic, then I don't know straightforwardness.
OFFLINE |  
04-19-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Man, my threads were deleted! At least the very direct ones.

Also, D-Day Daddy (aka Blair) pretty much knew and told what was going on with a few others. And this was after Vicarious had leaked.

I started going on about it when I recovered from Vicarious-disbelief and disgust. I just didn´t have a confirmation yet that I was right! People were saying that I was an idiot.

when I said that I lied they congratulated me for a good hoax. Hehe.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #32
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Man, my threads were deleted! At least the very direct ones.

Also, D-Day Daddy (aka Blair) pretty much knew and told what was going on with a few others. And this was after Vicarious had leaked.

I started going on about it when I recovered from Vicarious-disbelief and disgust. I just didn´t have a confirmation yet that I was right! People were saying that I was an idiot.

when I said that I lied they congratulated me for a good hoax. Hehe.
04-19-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:

This guy is [no].

Last edited by paraflux; 04-19-2006 at 11:56 AM..
Old 04-19-2006, 11:44 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

This guy is [no].

Last edited by paraflux; 04-19-2006 at 11:56 AM..
OFFLINE |  
04-19-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroyezAuRien
This guy is gay.
this guy is probated.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:46 AM   #34
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroyezAuRien
This guy is gay.
this guy is probated.
04-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Yea, I know, it's hard to know what blair means, and what he meant by a decoy. This is hard to believe for a lot of people, and I myself admit it's a lot of work gone into a decoy album. At times, there are moments of beauty on this album when you think that this is the best that Tool has to offer. Well, maybe it is, and the actual real album got leaked before the decoy album was supposed to be distributed. BOGGLE!

Maybe the decoy was just supposed to be nothing but noise and filler!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #35

Yea, I know, it's hard to know what blair means, and what he meant by a decoy. This is hard to believe for a lot of people, and I myself admit it's a lot of work gone into a decoy album. At times, there are moments of beauty on this album when you think that this is the best that Tool has to offer. Well, maybe it is, and the actual real album got leaked before the decoy album was supposed to be distributed. BOGGLE!

Maybe the decoy was just supposed to be nothing but noise and filler!
OFFLINE |  
Alexandra's Avatar Alexandra
04-19-2006, 11:50 AM

Perseensilmä, you were referring to this thread, right?

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=41199
Old 04-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #36
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 495

04-19-2006, 11:51 AM

Question: How many of you who believe it is a hoax smoke weed on a regular basis?

This is for scientific purposes, please answer accurately.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #37
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 2025

Question: How many of you who believe it is a hoax smoke weed on a regular basis?

This is for scientific purposes, please answer accurately.
04-19-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra

That and many others. I don´t know if those all still exist.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #38
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra

That and many others. I don´t know if those all still exist.
04-19-2006, 11:52 AM

The fact people still think this is a hoax is fucking bull. Not liking the albums new direction does not equate to it being a hoax.

Tell you what, if it is a hoax, I won't feel like a tit at all for thinking this is real, not with the amount of effort they've put into it.

People moaned because they waited ages for an album, and now you have it (earlier tha you should) some of you still arn't happy.

This is farcical situation.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

The fact people still think this is a hoax is fucking bull. Not liking the albums new direction does not equate to it being a hoax.

Tell you what, if it is a hoax, I won't feel like a tit at all for thinking this is real, not with the amount of effort they've put into it.

People moaned because they waited ages for an album, and now you have it (earlier tha you should) some of you still arn't happy.

This is farcical situation.
OFFLINE |  
livingdecay's Avatar livingdecay
04-19-2006, 11:53 AM

Yeah, everyone here wants to look intelligent by treating others like shit. I would like to believe your theory, although I find it highly unlikely that the band would orchestrate something so deeply. Who knows?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #40
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 60

Yeah, everyone here wants to look intelligent by treating others like shit. I would like to believe your theory, although I find it highly unlikely that the band would orchestrate something so deeply. Who knows?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply