Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » Pre-release Archive » Rumors
User Name
Password
Havokb8's Avatar Havokb8
04-02-2006, 02:25 PM

From 10000 days forum:

I've been distant.

Anyway, I, as I do often (I sometimes find "interesting" things there) checked out the source for Toolband at around midnight on April 2nd. Maybe 20 lines down I found this written:

"S, tonight we had some visitors (yes, the dreaded ones). Our job has changed a bit. They say we've gone a touch too far with XM."

Whatever, I know webmasters sometimes do this type of shit. But the XM part piqued my interest. I continued, and at the very bottom, under "<font color="purple">BMB</font><!-- ID: 1822 | author: 10 --><BR><BR>" there was this:

"We've got 'em hooked. If only they knew. See you soon. We've a matter to discuss."

Link:

http://www.10000-days.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=326
Old 04-02-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
On Probation

Bincount™: 14
Have you guys seen this?

From 10000 days forum:

I've been distant.

Anyway, I, as I do often (I sometimes find "interesting" things there) checked out the source for Toolband at around midnight on April 2nd. Maybe 20 lines down I found this written:

"S, tonight we had some visitors (yes, the dreaded ones). Our job has changed a bit. They say we've gone a touch too far with XM."

Whatever, I know webmasters sometimes do this type of shit. But the XM part piqued my interest. I continued, and at the very bottom, under "<font color="purple">BMB</font><!-- ID: 1822 | author: 10 --><BR><BR>" there was this:

"We've got 'em hooked. If only they knew. See you soon. We've a matter to discuss."

Link:

OFFLINE |  
Nebel
04-02-2006, 02:27 PM

Somebody check the Toolband source to check if this is real.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38
Re: Have you guys seen this?

Somebody check the Toolband source to check if this is real.
OFFLINE |  
blackrock's Avatar blackrock
04-02-2006, 02:28 PM

nope, haven't seen it.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 4

nope, haven't seen it.
OFFLINE |  
STA's Avatar STA
04-02-2006, 02:29 PM

This is somehow turning into an episode of the X-Files.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
STA
Banned.

Bincount™: 11285

This is somehow turning into an episode of the X-Files.
OFFLINE |  
Nebel
04-02-2006, 02:30 PM

Just checked, it's not there, obviously bullshit.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 38

Just checked, it's not there, obviously bullshit.
OFFLINE |  
Excessit
04-02-2006, 02:33 PM

Actually at the original post on the 10,000 days forum, the last line reads "This morning it was gone."

Apparently, if these (I presume commented out portions of HTML) were there last night, they were quickly cleaned up by today.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Actually at the original post on the 10,000 days forum, the last line reads "This morning it was gone."

Apparently, if these (I presume commented out portions of HTML) were there last night, they were quickly cleaned up by today.
OFFLINE |  
Noob_Jones's Avatar Noob_Jones
04-02-2006, 02:34 PM

The "dreaded ones" are the record executives of course.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 790

The "dreaded ones" are the record executives of course.
OFFLINE |  
orange.juice's Avatar orange.juice
04-02-2006, 02:40 PM

no, HACKERZORZ!
Old 04-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
Banned.

Bincount™: 932

no, HACKERZORZ!
OFFLINE |  
seadonkey
04-02-2006, 04:08 PM

Well, this is whatīs there now. Not sure if this is always there since I never check the source, but I donīt know, maybe itīs something hidden for Marchīs newsletter. Someone better than me can figure it out.
<!-- <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]?subject=NY%20Show% 20Review">reviews</A> -->
<!-- Tonight we've posted the events this past month as seen through the eyes of Blair in his latest<a href="letter/index.html">Newsletter.</a>
Old 04-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

Well, this is whatīs there now. Not sure if this is always there since I never check the source, but I donīt know, maybe itīs something hidden for Marchīs newsletter. Someone better than me can figure it out.
<!-- <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]?subject=NY%20Show% 20Review">reviews</A> -->
<!-- Tonight we've posted the events this past month as seen through the eyes of Blair in his latest<a href="letter/index.html">Newsletter.</a>
OFFLINE |  
Ocelot199's Avatar Ocelot199
04-02-2006, 04:12 PM

Man, Tool are awsome.

Hiding messages in the source code of their website.

Amazing.

I don't believe it without a screenshot. And even then I don't beleive it.

Although I'd like to :/
Old 04-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #10
On Probation

Bincount™: 8929

Man, Tool are awsome.

Amazing.

OFFLINE |  
birdyxxx
04-02-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadonkey

agreed, thats in the source. view using IE, not firefox.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

OFFLINE |  
04-02-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:

that's been there for ages.

not that i check their source code regularily or anything...
Old 04-02-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

OFFLINE |  
seadonkey
04-02-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocelot199
Man, Tool are awsome.

Amazing.

I have no idea how to do screenshots on this computer, but if you go there and look at the source of the news page, what I put is definitely there. One person has already confirmed it. I donīt know what it means, and I tried using the extension in there in two different addresses, but each time got nothing. Maybe someone else can do something with it.

Edit: To the poster above me, I have never checked the source code. Never occurred that secret messages or whatever would be getting revealed that way, so if itīs been there for a long time, sorry, I had no idea.

Last edited by seadonkey; 04-02-2006 at 04:39 PM..
Old 04-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Man, Tool are awsome.

Amazing.

I have no idea how to do screenshots on this computer, but if you go there and look at the source of the news page, what I put is definitely there. One person has already confirmed it. I donīt know what it means, and I tried using the extension in there in two different addresses, but each time got nothing. Maybe someone else can do something with it.

Edit: To the poster above me, I have never checked the source code. Never occurred that secret messages or whatever would be getting revealed that way, so if itīs been there for a long time, sorry, I had no idea.

Last edited by seadonkey; 04-02-2006 at 04:39 PM..
OFFLINE |  
04-02-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I meant about the stuff said in the original post. I believe the other thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrock

I check the source once in a while... last time was prolly a month ago, and that wasn't there. Its new.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #14
On Probation

Quote:

Quote:

I check the source once in a while... last time was prolly a month ago, and that wasn't there. Its new.
OFFLINE |  
seadonkey
04-02-2006, 04:41 PM

Hmm, well then maybe the "March" newsletter will be getting post soon if thatīs new. No idea really. I just checked the source because of this thread, saw that and tried to find something and failed.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
Level 4 - Thinker

Hmm, well then maybe the "March" newsletter will be getting post soon if thatīs new. No idea really. I just checked the source because of this thread, saw that and tried to find something and failed.
OFFLINE |  
04-02-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:

uh yeah it was. i checked when all those posts with missing authors started getting posted, and i noticed that.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

uh yeah it was. i checked when all those posts with missing authors started getting posted, and i noticed that.
OFFLINE |  
04-02-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
That was less than a month ago, dude. Not exactly "ages".
Old 04-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #17
On Probation

Quote:
OFFLINE |  
CallofCthulhu's Avatar CallofCthulhu
04-02-2006, 04:50 PM

DAMN, I've checked the source from time to time just in case something was in there but I haven't in a couple days, looks like I missed it.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #18
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 11

DAMN, I've checked the source from time to time just in case something was in there but I haven't in a couple days, looks like I missed it.
OFFLINE |  
04-02-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:

lies!
Old 04-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

lies!
OFFLINE |  
Excessit
04-02-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdyxxx
You can view it in Firefox as well. If you right click the text area of toolband.com, go to "this frame", and then "view frame source", you'll be set.

In an effort to steer this thread in a somewhat productive direction, what is everyone's interpretation of these comments if they were indeed buried within the site's HTML for a short while last night? Any ideas on who this "S" person is that first appeared at the bottom of the "Eureka!" post?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
You can view it in Firefox as well. If you right click the text area of toolband.com, go to "this frame", and then "view frame source", you'll be set.

In an effort to steer this thread in a somewhat productive direction, what is everyone's interpretation of these comments if they were indeed buried within the site's HTML for a short while last night? Any ideas on who this "S" person is that first appeared at the bottom of the "Eureka!" post?
OFFLINE |  
hobophobe's Avatar hobophobe
04-02-2006, 05:13 PM

The NY reviews is from May 2001, the Melvins code is from probably 2002, and I'm assuming the newsletter thing is old as can be as well.

I explained in the original thread about author IDs that they correspond to the Too Larmy Id numbers. I'm not sure if I mentioned or not, but several of them are not listed members (though most are).

Ctrl+U will view source in most browsers.
\\/\\/\\/\\/\\//\//\//\//\//
Old 04-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

The NY reviews is from May 2001, the Melvins code is from probably 2002, and I'm assuming the newsletter thing is old as can be as well.

I explained in the original thread about author IDs that they correspond to the Too Larmy Id numbers. I'm not sure if I mentioned or not, but several of them are not listed members (though most are).

OFFLINE |  
birdyxxx
04-02-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobophobe

ninja'd.

next theory? (and i liked this one)
Old 04-02-2006, 05:21 PM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

ninja'd.

next theory? (and i liked this one)
OFFLINE |  
Excessit
04-02-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:

I don't think the NY review, Melvins code, or newsletter comments were ever a topic of interest in this thread. I agree they have been there for some time. The seven short sentences apparently added sometime last night and removed by this morning are of greater importance:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havokb8

If we believe this comment was sincere, then there is almost definitely some trickery going on regarding 10,000 Days. If not, someone with write access to the site could just be screwing with us even further.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:

I don't think the NY review, Melvins code, or newsletter comments were ever a topic of interest in this thread. I agree they have been there for some time. The seven short sentences apparently added sometime last night and removed by this morning are of greater importance:
Quote:

If we believe this comment was sincere, then there is almost definitely some trickery going on regarding 10,000 Days. If not, someone with write access to the site could just be screwing with us even further.
OFFLINE |  
hobophobe's Avatar hobophobe
04-02-2006, 06:07 PM

Fair enough. We have no way to confirm/disconfirm this was there. Even a screenshot or copy of source would be most easily forged. The message itself, as you say, is straight forward enough about the meaning. The only issue would be whether the album is some sort of 'meme virus' that Tool is about to unleash upon an unsuspecting public, or if the meaning is strictly 'hey the album info is a hoax.'
Old 04-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #24
Level 4 - Thinker

Fair enough. We have no way to confirm/disconfirm this was there. Even a screenshot or copy of source would be most easily forged. The message itself, as you say, is straight forward enough about the meaning. The only issue would be whether the album is some sort of 'meme virus' that Tool is about to unleash upon an unsuspecting public, or if the meaning is strictly 'hey the album info is a hoax.'
OFFLINE |  
ATARI's Avatar ATARI
04-02-2006, 06:19 PM

Xavier Mentails
Old 04-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #25
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 297

Xavier Mentails
04-02-2006, 06:23 PM

<!-- <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]?subject=NY%20Show% 20Revi ew">reviews</A> -->

that has been there for fucking ages, seriously. the other stuff (the stuff the first guy posted about) is interesting though... but i dunno.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #26
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 181

<!-- <A HREF="mailto:[email protected]?subject=NY%20Show% 20Revi ew">reviews</A> -->

that has been there for fucking ages, seriously. the other stuff (the stuff the first guy posted about) is interesting though... but i dunno.
04-02-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
That doesn't matter, it's still there and has been.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #27
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 88

Quote:
That doesn't matter, it's still there and has been.
04-02-2006, 06:25 PM

Hey if you check the source code for the nav menu up top it says:

function hacked() {
// MELVINS SAY TOOL SUCKS !!!! HACKED BY JR FOR MELVINS
melvins = window.open

EDIT: Leads to this link somewhere stashed on Toolband.com

http://www.toolband.com/melvinsuck.html

Last edited by Eon Black Apocalypse; 04-02-2006 at 06:28 PM..
Old 04-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #28
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10

Hey if you check the source code for the nav menu up top it says:

function hacked() {
// MELVINS SAY TOOL SUCKS !!!! HACKED BY JR FOR MELVINS
melvins = window.open

EDIT: Leads to this link somewhere stashed on Toolband.com

http://www.toolband.com/melvinsuck.html

Last edited by Eon Black Apocalypse; 04-02-2006 at 06:28 PM..
OFFLINE |  
NoD
04-02-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
From 10000 days forum:

I've been distant.

Link:

So he posted this info hours after he checked and saw this stuff so no one else could confirm it, then says, "And by the way, on my laptop I have the entire source if someone needs "proof". However, I won't have access to that again until...I don't know...a couple hours."...

BULLSHIT
Old 04-02-2006, 06:32 PM   #29
NoD
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1239

Quote:
From 10000 days forum:

I've been distant.

Link:

So he posted this info hours after he checked and saw this stuff so no one else could confirm it, then says, "And by the way, on my laptop I have the entire source if someone needs "proof". However, I won't have access to that again until...I don't know...a couple hours."...

BULLSHIT
OFFLINE |  
just simulacra's Avatar just simulacra
04-02-2006, 06:32 PM

Since we're all posting old news here, did you guys hear the WTC buildings were hit?
Turn on CNN.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:32 PM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 37

Since we're all posting old news here, did you guys hear the WTC buildings were hit?
Turn on CNN.
04-02-2006, 07:28 PM

Has anyone seen this in the index page?

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8015/image10fm.jpg

Not that it means anything relevant to the cd, just sharing.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:28 PM   #31
Level 3 - Talker

OFFLINE |  
clayton9610
04-02-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle Shot

Joshua Davis (sp)
Old 04-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #32
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtle Shot

Joshua Davis (sp)
OFFLINE |  
Havokb8's Avatar Havokb8
04-02-2006, 08:49 PM

Wow have you guys seen Maynards myspace page, the real one?

http://www.myspace.com/therealpuscifer

spose so i havent seen it yet tho
Old 04-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #33
On Probation

OFFLINE |  
LoKi's Avatar LoKi
04-02-2006, 08:52 PM

nice
Old 04-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous

nice
04-02-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:

very cool. have you seen maynard's friend adrianna? Goddamn, must be one of his scarlet women.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #35
NoD
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 1239

Quote:

very cool. have you seen maynard's friend adrianna? Goddamn, must be one of his scarlet women.
OFFLINE |  
Havokb8's Avatar Havokb8
04-02-2006, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD

No kidding why isnt she my friend? damn.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #36
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD

No kidding why isnt she my friend? damn.
OFFLINE |  
LoKi's Avatar LoKi
04-02-2006, 10:09 PM

oh sweet rapist eyes.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #37
Level 8 - Vociferous

oh sweet rapist eyes.
04-02-2006, 10:13 PM

...look what you've done to me...
Old 04-02-2006, 10:13 PM   #38
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

...look what you've done to me...
LoKi's Avatar LoKi
04-02-2006, 10:14 PM

...you've burned down the temple...
Old 04-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #39
Level 8 - Vociferous

...you've burned down the temple...
04-02-2006, 10:35 PM

...where the children were sleeping.

We are hosting them, Tub Ring, and Look What I Did on April 14th. Fuckin Stoked.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #40
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52

...where the children were sleeping.

We are hosting them, Tub Ring, and Look What I Did on April 14th. Fuckin Stoked.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply