opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 15. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 11-20-2002, 08:35 AM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Contemporary Symphony #2

In reading a response post, I decided to try my luck at breaking down the mechanics of third eye into the most plausible form of Symphonic structure...here's a guess.

"Dreaming of that face again
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide and comforting me
With it's three warm and wild eyes.

On my back and tumbling
Down that hole and back again
Rising up and whiping the webs
And the dew from my withered eye...........This entire section could very well be classified as the theme, introducing a "face" and it's attachment to the narrator. The somber, slow moving flow of the guitar riff, palm muted and staccato among a similar bass line, accompanying guitar and vocals harmonically.

"So good to see you
I've missed you so much.
So glad it's over
I've missed you so much.
Came out to watch you play
Why are you running away?
(and then cutting the next spoken word verse in half)
Shrouding all the ground around me
Is this holy crow above me
Black as holes within a memory
And blue as our new second sun.
I stick my hand into his shadow
To pull the pieces from the sand
Which I attempt to reassemble
To see just who I might have been...............This section could be considered a second verse. A regression in tempo and tone indeed, with a very light one-note-strummed guitar part, accompanied by very simple, static drum beats and lightly sung almost whispered lyrics. The verse following is a spoken word verse. The reason I decided to cut it in half is because of the drum part accompanying it, which gradually increases in substance and complexity, of which the later part can be considered the third movement of the symphony.

"I do not recognize the vessel
But the eyes seem so familiar
Like phosphorescent desert buttons
Singing one familiar song
So good to see you
I've missed you so much
So glad it's over
I've missed you so much
Came out to watch you play
Why are you running away?.............This can be considered the third verse, which is both somber and depressing, with an obvious loss occuring within the lyrics, yet there is an obvious increase in aggression, which does not disclude the fact that it is either somber or depressing in tone. Within this verse we find the accompanyment of guitar and bass, playing similar bars yet completely harmonizing eachother, and the wave-like sway of a looped drum beat, with occurences of off beat snare drums and symbols mixing the loop.

"Prying open my third eye.
So good to see you once again
I thought that you were hiding
You thought that I had run away
Chasing the tail of dogma
I opened my eye and there we were
So good to see you once again
I thought that you were hiding from me
You thought that I had run away
Chansing a trail of smoke and reason

Prying open my third eye"......................This last verse can obviously be considered the fourth movement of the symphony. It's aggression, bluntness and explosive finale are perfect methods of increasing the effectiveness of a symphonic structured song. Between the progressive lyrics, which repeat similar previous views yet build and skew words slightly, and the progressively intensified guitar and bass lines highlighted and exemplified by ingenious drum beats, there is no part of the song as exhasperating and exhausting as this, with an energy parallel to few. A true Contemporary Symphony in the least...
Old 11-23-2002, 08:07 PM   #2
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
I wouldn't seperate this one song into several movements, you know that pieces can change tempo, measure, and key quickly, I personally think this is only the first movement. I do like your analogy to a symphony though....I have always thought that this song was a sort of rock symphony perse, with all the many sounds. Except one thing..there isn't really a theme to the song (maybe with exception to "I came out to watch you play..."), there is ostinatto, but a certain part of the song is rarely heard later in the song. The little slide-guitar part has a sort of echo feeling later on, but that's all I notice. The length of the song is also a major part in comparing it to symphonies in that it's long...that's all I really have to say.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: