opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 11. Reflection
User Name
Password
Old 02-22-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Layers

I was driving down I-75 with my father from Georgia to Florida and listning to Lateralus. My dad, whom is quite the heavy sleeper, awoke to the sound of my accidental horn-honking as i was drummling on the sterring comlumn.

My father isn't the biggest TOOL fan in the world ;) He's an oldies type guy whos not all into the esoterica of what TOOL is all about.

But he said something rather interesting when listning to Reflection.

He said that it plays in layers.

Which it does.

Thusly, this lead me to think of layers and how the whole cd is based upon the idea of the mind and the body layered into one being.

The cd cover sleeve...as anyone who might own Lateralus knows, is in sheets, or layers. The percussive aspect right at the beginning of the song is like the first layer. Other instrumentation is introduced and could easily take as part of the newer layers.

Whats interesting is right before the first versoe is sung by Maynard, the guitar (or bass, maybe) effect....

...is almost like breathing...giving the human body layer life.

Also, it seems the chakra star is located in this layer and it's the throat area.

------

OR maybe it's all bullshit...;)

TOOL

-Drummer4life2020
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
On Probation

Bincount™: 4
Re: Layers

Thought provoking.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:38 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalkz
Thought provoking.
Tool Is one of the most thought provking bands ever!

as for your layers idea... well all i can say is that tool. well they are like onions! kinda like ogres! HAHAHAHA
Old 03-17-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer4life2020
I was driving down I-75 with my father from Georgia to Florida and listning to Lateralus. My dad, whom is quite the heavy sleeper, awoke to the sound of my accidental horn-honking as i was drummling on the sterring comlumn.

My father isn't the biggest TOOL fan in the world ;) He's an oldies type guy whos not all into the esoterica of what TOOL is all about.

But he said something rather interesting when listning to Reflection.

He said that it plays in layers.

Which it does.

Thusly, this lead me to think of layers and how the whole cd is based upon the idea of the mind and the body layered into one being.

The cd cover sleeve...as anyone who might own Lateralus knows, is in sheets, or layers. The percussive aspect right at the beginning of the song is like the first layer. Other instrumentation is introduced and could easily take as part of the newer layers.

Whats interesting is right before the first versoe is sung by Maynard, the guitar (or bass, maybe) effect....

...is almost like breathing...giving the human body layer life.

Also, it seems the chakra star is located in this layer and it's the throat area.

------

OR maybe it's all bullshit...;)

TOOL

-Drummer4life2020
Interesting idea. To me, all of the songs on Lateralus involve layers of sound and thought - for example, the way the guitar intro of Schism leads to a bass layer, which leads into the drums, then the guitar and then the bass - and I think there is a reason for this. Since the album has a rough underlining theme of finding yourself through conflict and ascending to a higher level, the layers reflect the ideas of the song - each layer in the song is another forward step. Alos, since most of the music was written while Maynard was doing APC stuff, the instruments (especially the bass) are far more to the forefront of the songs and also the mix than in any of the other Tool albums.

Just my theorey.
Entwined within the sadder of days
Old 03-18-2004, 08:47 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

well lateral-us....lateral means of or constituting a change within an organization or a hierarchy to a position at a similar level, which just goes into the whole layering comment....there always seems to be ironically enough a spiraling of rotation of the instruments and different sounds become focused more clearly and distinctly, especially in the song mentioned, an ever evolving, changing bit of perfection...i just think that this is the most intelligent music ever conceived.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: