Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
dancingflame
01-30-2009, 07:22 PM

not really a new thought but really interesting

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81013595028167

my point is the line "supposed to be a hero" and as probably many of you I think this song is about taking psychedelic drugs and what you make out of it (or not --> if its really bad you end up in a psychiatry -> lost keys) - anyway: campbell gives some nice insights about the "hero"-phenomenon

cheers!

Last edited by dancingflame; 01-30-2009 at 07:30 PM..
Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
campbell / heroes

not really a new thought but really interesting

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...81013595028167

my point is the line "supposed to be a hero" and as probably many of you I think this song is about taking psychedelic drugs and what you make out of it (or not --> if its really bad you end up in a psychiatry -> lost keys) - anyway: campbell gives some nice insights about the "hero"-phenomenon

cheers!

Last edited by dancingflame; 01-30-2009 at 07:30 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Negentropy
04-05-2009, 07:06 PM

This song is Archetypal, yes, and Apocalyptic. Read Ezekiel, Enoch, Daniel, and Revelation. This is our society's Hero, a High School Drop out on Hallucinogens trying to describe the ineffable in the hospital. Really, It's never been much different, Jesus was a carpenter, and John of Revelation was in Prison, for some reason the socially low get lifted to the spiritually high.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 108
Re: campbell / heroes

This song is Archetypal, yes, and Apocalyptic. Read Ezekiel, Enoch, Daniel, and Revelation. This is our society's Hero, a High School Drop out on Hallucinogens trying to describe the ineffable in the hospital. Really, It's never been much different, Jesus was a carpenter, and John of Revelation was in Prison, for some reason the socially low get lifted to the spiritually high.
dancingflame
07-24-2009, 01:59 PM

:D
great- thats about exactly what I thought since I heard the song (read the lyrics) for the first or second time...if i am going to read those bible-books, i don`t know yet but maybe some time...
i have another a bit off-topic "idea"/question: who else thinkgs "bob help me" refers to robert anton wilson? or might be a reference to him?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

great- thats about exactly what I thought since I heard the song (read the lyrics) for the first or second time...if i am going to read those bible-books, i don`t know yet but maybe some time...
i have another a bit off-topic "idea"/question: who else thinkgs "bob help me" refers to robert anton wilson? or might be a reference to him?
hemiola's Avatar hemiola
07-25-2009, 07:31 PM

Bob Dobbs most likely but hey, who knows?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 20

Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
07-27-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingflame View Post
This has been discussed thoroughly in the past. Bob is a name Maynard used as a pun to describe God. So instead of saying God Help Me, he's sarcastically saying Bob Help Me.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingflame View Post
This has been discussed thoroughly in the past. Bob is a name Maynard used as a pun to describe God. So instead of saying God Help Me, he's sarcastically saying Bob Help Me.
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post

LOL - thats good :D:D:D
i love this song!!! its like all tool songs in one song...(not really but kind of)
Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

LOL - thats good :D:D:D
i love this song!!! its like all tool songs in one song...(not really but kind of)
Negentropy
08-05-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The Rugrats (a show on nickelodeon) also used this pun. I think this is more of a reference to the church of sub-genius and it's discordianism and than anything else. I would certainly say the state of being described in this song is certainly that of spiritual discord and chaos. The hero hasn't made it out of the belly of the whale just yet, some would say.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Banned.

Quote:
The Rugrats (a show on nickelodeon) also used this pun. I think this is more of a reference to the church of sub-genius and it's discordianism and than anything else. I would certainly say the state of being described in this song is certainly that of spiritual discord and chaos. The hero hasn't made it out of the belly of the whale just yet, some would say.
Negentropy
08-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiola View Post
agreed.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiola View Post
agreed.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply