PDA

View Full Version : DC's DOUBLE BASS

miketh74
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I've read a Modern Drummer article of Dan Carey explaining his "weakness" on the drums. To my surprise, he says it's his double kick ability. Now, that's his opinion. Everyone is critical about something or another regarding one's abilities. He goes on to mention Adam encourages him to put more double kick in their songs, so obviously Adam digs it.

Sweat was the first song I heard from Tool, and I know one thing:
Danny's double bass was the attention grabber that sucked me right in to Opiate and I haven't stopped listening since.

You dig?

Rolo
03-26-2008, 05:53 PM
I've read a Modern Drummer article of Dan Carey explaining his "weakness" on the drums. To my surprise, he says it's his double kick ability. Now, that's his opinion. Everyone is critical about something or another regarding one's abilities. He goes on to mention Adam encourages him to put more double kick in their songs, so obviously Adam digs it.

Sweat was the first song I heard from Tool, and I know one thing:
Danny's double bass was the attention grabber that sucked me right in to Opiate and I haven't stopped listening since.

You dig?I dig.

Same goes for the first part of "Ticks & Leeches" just befor Maynard starts screaming. Major double-bass action, imo.

Rolo
03-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Basically, he cuts down his ability because he can't doublekick throughout an entire song at 200 bpm.

I don't think that would fit in a Tool song anyway. This is more a thrashmetal approach, imo
Very un-Tool.

Rolo
04-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Nah, i don't think they would. The other three wouldn't allow this to happen, it just doesn't fit the concept of Tool. Maybe he would do this in a sideproject.

Rolo
04-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Keep in mind that in the beginning they didn't really have a concept, it was just a few guys playing together. The concept came in when they realized the type of dynamic they had as a band.

Yes i know that. But i read in recent interviews that everybody has an equal right in the band. All agree or disagree on the course that the band is going. So, when i look at the more recent albums, i don't think the band, as a whole, wouldn't allow this to happen.

miketh74
04-16-2008, 08:36 PM
I guess this idea started from the first thing that grabbed you about Tool. For me, it would be DC's double bass ability. DC never compared himself with speed metal. He just stated that playing songs all the way through with double kick was exhausting and affected his live performances. Danny's a big dude though. So I can see why that would be physically challenging for him.

gjamison27
04-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Um yeah....

Danny's statement was in the context of drumming in general, not in the context of drumming for Tool. His weakness is double kick just as Dave Lombardos' weakness is Tabla. It's really irrelevant to anything other than Danny's assesment of his personal drumming knowledge. In his spare time, he plays jazz drums. He could learn to play speed metal double kick at 200 bpm for three hours while maintaining his physical endurance, if he chose to, but he doesn't choose to.

Adam probably encourages more double kick in the context of Tool, because Adam likes it. He enjoys metal full of double bass. He can also blister scales, but chooses not too...

miketh74
04-18-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm calling bullshit. I play with a drummer who's close to if not the same size as Danny, and he doesn't have a problem hitting double bass all the way through songs without exhaustion or physical challenge...

I'd wager it's probably more because Danny just never focused on it, since superfast fully doublekicked bass hits aren't Tool's M.O.

Possibly......but most big dudes wear a lot easier than you or me. His drum tech says he hits way hard. If you think about it, hitting hard can take away from your endurance. I'm not saying DC is weak by any means. Maybe he's not in the best shape, or maybe it's just what you said.....it's not their M.O.

gjamison27
04-18-2008, 07:52 AM
There's no maybe bro...he chooses not too.

He's in incredible shape.

miketh74
04-18-2008, 07:56 AM
There's no maybe bro...he chooses not too.

He's in incredible shape.

So then why do you think HE would say that's his weakness. Why not just come out and say that he chooses not to play double kick repeatedly. I can't understand why anyone would classify that as a weakness on themselves when everyone knows how fuckin' good he really is.

gjamison27
04-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Because he has chosen not to learn it. Therefore, at this present time, he can't do it all that well. So...if he has to spot a weakness, that would be the biggest one.

I see your point though...

miketh74
04-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Because he has chosen not to learn it. Therefore, at this present time, he can't do it all that well. So...if he has to spot a weakness, that would be the biggest one.

I see your point though...

But he CAN. We all know he has the ability.

However, I see your point as well.

gjamison27
04-21-2008, 05:16 AM
Again, man, the guy I play with smashes through 4 or 5 pairst of sticks at each practice and has ripped through heavy-duty skins with ease. It's just a matter of training and stamina when it comes to being able to kick long and repetitively. Which... yeah, Danny doesn't need it, so he probably never really fucked with it all that much.

Tell him to stop hitting the sides of the cymbals. His sticks and his cymbals will thank him for it...

miketh74
05-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Makes for great firewood.