PDA

View Full Version : Ego

]v[edusa
08-12-2007, 06:25 AM
So no one ever thought that "part of me" is actually Maynard's ego?

He knows his ego well because it is his center of consciousness.

He knows his ego better then he knows his self. The self as a whole contains both the conscious and unconscious. He knows the ego best because hes not fully dug into his unconscious. The ego is only a part of him, there is still his unconscious side (the other part that he knows nothing about).

He wants his ego to make a sacrifice, to die a little. He wants to sacrifice his ego so that he may become more conscious of the unconscious side. He desires that one day he will be fully aware of the self instead of just knowing a part of him.

gjamison27
08-15-2007, 05:10 AM
Insightful. It could be that he's singing through his ego's perspective. It could also be about addiction and self destructive tendencies. The addiction telling him that it knows well, better than anyone, a part of himself.......

Bhikkhu
08-15-2007, 08:34 AM
I think his unconcious side is talking here instead of his Ego (consciousness). It's talking to his Ego (Ich) or his Super-Ego (Uber-Ich).

ivasativa
08-22-2007, 01:26 PM
I agree.

Yeah I agree. You can only become conscious of your ego if you observe it. And you cant observe your ego if you are identified with it. You have to find and be yourSELF to to be able to observe any other aspects of the personality that you have created to use as a tool in this existence.

lol

Master_Of_Nothing
11-25-2007, 09:12 PM
quite a few songs relate to his ego, like Reflection.
So this is pretty likely. Nice work!

How do you know what your unconscious side is thinking?

Thelema
02-28-2008, 03:33 AM
quite a few songs relate to his ego, like Reflection.
So this is pretty likely. Nice work!

How do you know what your unconscious side is thinking?

I think of conscious thought as being completely biased. I think tapping into the sub-conscious is a matter of looking at something with complete disregard for everything you’ve experienced, and the way in which you experience it. For example, to say to your subconscious that an apple is red, would be false. Because the reality is that the words “apple“ and “red” are made up vocalisations describing a collection of atoms that your brain perceives your eyes seeing. Your subconscious knows the mechanics of your brain, so it knows the color red as well as the rest of the world around you, is just an illusion. Though I don’t think the subconscious is necessarily capable of understanding the actual reality of that illusion. But I do think a collective consciousness is accessible through the subconscious, and I believe from there you have access to the subconscious of All That Is, as if looking at the apple through the eye of every point in space and time. Just a random thought/theory.

Anyhow, I agree that this song may be about his ego. It’s always been one of my favourites.

ThirdEyeSeed
03-03-2008, 07:38 PM
. . . Oops . . . Ignore this.

K1DA
03-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I think "you are a part of me" could be a lyric in like 90% of TOOL songs.

Master_Of_Nothing
03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Its kinda mentioned in H, 46 and 2, Reflections, Stinkfist and some others.
I've always said that the ego is a crucial theme in Tool songs

Inner_Eulogy
03-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Its kinda mentioned in H, 46 and 2, Reflections, Stinkfist and some others.
I've always said that the ego is a crucial theme in Tool songs

MONa Mona fee fi fona bee bi boh loh lona MON

Master_Of_Nothing
03-07-2008, 04:09 PM
I'm going to ignore that drug induced statement and carry on with my life.

apocalypse_sow
04-02-2008, 06:01 AM
v[edusa;2107046']So no one ever thought that "part of me" is actually Maynard's ego?

He knows his ego better then he knows his self. The self as a whole contains both the conscious and unconscious. He knows the ego best because hes not fully dug into his unconscious. The ego is only a part of him, there is still his unconscious side (the other part that he knows nothing about).

He wants his ego to make a sacrifice, to die a little. He wants to sacrifice his ego so that he may become more conscious of the unconscious side. He desires that one day he will be fully aware of the self instead of just knowing a part of him.

or, it could be his dick, and he's jacking it way too much.
hmm.

Master_Of_Nothing
04-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah i think he was.

SlaveNoMore
10-07-2010, 10:20 AM
v[edusa;2107046']So no one ever thought that "part of me" is actually Maynard's ego?

I don't why this person was banned, but it's a damn shame to have lost communication with someone who so obviously fucking gets it! - fuck, I gotta change my shorts........

SlaveNoMore
10-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I think his unconcious side is talking here instead of his Ego (consciousness). It's talking to his Ego (Ich) or his Super-Ego (Uber-Ich).

Even more to the core, it is Maynard consciously acknowledging that his ego is not the SUM of who and what he is, but only a PART of him. We all have so many "parts" other than ego, yet most of us exist within the extremely limited paradigm that we are our egos.