PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick thought...

Systolic
12-02-2002, 07:52 AM
Has anyone else noticed how Tool has gotten less and less controversial with their artwork over the years?

Look at Undertow... lots of nasty stuff, in my opinion.
AEnima.. stll pretty contorversial, but not quite as bad...
Salival... Nothing very controversial...
Lateralus.. Umm.. a psychadelic picture of the human body..

I understand the symbolism and everything, I appreciate it, and I'm not conemning them.. but I'm just beginning to wonder if Maynard is losing some of his formerly ever-present Testicular Fortitude...

Un Lapin
12-02-2002, 09:16 AM
no cursing on Lateralus either...maybe they've just grown up

Chuckhawk
12-02-2002, 02:25 PM
That usually happens with most bands. They get older, more mature and realize they don't have to swear or threaten the lives of politicians to get attention. This leads to the band doing a crappy experiemntal album and fading away. However, tool took another route and advanced musically; and thats what is keeping me hooked.

Flood
12-02-2002, 03:32 PM
In Ticks and Leeches it really sounds like Maynard says "fuck"

john
12-03-2002, 11:49 AM
does tool need to be controversial? i say no. theyve been there, theyve done that. let them do what they want. lateralus is proof that the direction theyre taking is towards the spiritual and more musical as opposed to being caught in the "controversial" niche. if anything i think its a testament to therir awesomeness that they dont do overly controversial things anymore and yet still are the most creative band out there.

Systolic
12-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Very true, John. I couldn't agree more.. I was just pointing that out to see what intelligent people (like you) would think. Thanks for the great insight.

IC
12-05-2002, 11:29 AM
Dont forget Opiate. I think Opiate was more controversial than even Undertow. I mean what was that: Henrey rollins on a sumo chick underwater. Opiate: F*** Christians. Hump a corpse..

freedom
12-08-2002, 03:00 PM
it could be that they want you to focus more on the music rather than the controversy some pictures may cause.