PDA

View Full Version : So, why no eggs?

Kangaroo_hung_me2
06-18-2007, 12:01 AM
This is purely a cooking question. I myself have never made the famous hash cakes, so why no eggs? Does it mess up the drug or what, because most cakes that are baked need at least 1 egg. Just a question............

TheOmegaCode089
06-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Just like you said, eggs are a main part in almost any cake, brownie, pastry, etc. What do you have left when that necessary ingredient is taken away? What becomes of what you're trying to make?

hemiola
06-21-2007, 12:08 PM
It's not a cake recipe, it is a cookie recipe, and the term cookie is very loosely defined.

The #1 reason for having a recipe that doesn't require eggs is that the person making the recipe doesn't have any eggs. I'm not being a smart-ass, it's the truth.

I think the only difference is the cookies come out flat, more or less, because very little air gets trapped inside, which is a function of the egg yolk. My old lady is a Pastry Chef but she's out o' town right now, she would know the answer. I know she substitutes bananas for eggs sometimes, especially when making ice cream.

Kangaroo_hung_me2
06-24-2007, 10:41 PM
wow, that makes sense, bananas? sounds like some kick ass ice cream.
nice name btw hemiola.

HelenA
06-24-2007, 10:53 PM
The recipe doesn't need eggs. I made them once and they are delicious (although very fattening!). Lots of biscuit recipes don't need eggs. Our ANZAC biscuits don't need eggs (they were created in the war)

Ghostwriter
07-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Because the egg is derived from a living organism.... (?)

paranormalgirl
07-06-2007, 05:22 PM
eggs are used as a binder to keep cookies and cakes from crumbling...i have never made these but it is possible that the other ingredients are used as a binder to hold it together unless they are supposed to be crumbly.

Esurient4Truth
07-06-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm afraid to make / eat anything that has the word "satan" in it unless it's good hotsauce.

paranormalgirl
07-06-2007, 07:07 PM
I'm afraid to make / eat anything that has the word "satan" in it unless it's good hotsauce.

why...what is so scary about satan?

miketh74
07-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Can you picture Hitler instructing his army on how to make cookies without eggs?..........Tool makes it interesting to say the least.

The Holy Gift
07-12-2007, 11:37 PM
ya, i think hitler totally gets a bad rap. scientists discovered that a lack of protein puts you in a chronic bad mood. hitler was a vegetarian...so he never got any proper proteins....he was simply a product of vegetarianism....so its really vegetables that are to blame for the holocaust......"disgustipated" anyone?

miketh74
07-15-2007, 01:37 PM
ya, i think hitler totally gets a bad rap. scientists discovered that a lack of protein puts you in a chronic bad mood. hitler was a vegetarian...so he never got any proper proteins....he was simply a product of vegetarianism....so its really vegetables that are to blame for the holocaust......"disgustipated" anyone?

LOL!!......That's fuckin great Holy Gift!!!! HITLER NEEDED CARROTS!!!

Kangaroo_hung_me2
07-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Yay carrot are protien???????

Paranormalgirl---I'm totally diggin the avatar ;)

The Holy Gift
07-26-2007, 09:39 AM
no carrots are dont have any protein....wtf?!

iAMtheMA!
07-26-2007, 09:43 AM
your balls deep in muddy waters
no eggs/balls! = crucify the ego!

]v[edusa
07-26-2007, 11:41 AM
your balls deep in muddy waters
no eggs/balls! = crucify the ego!

Yah. I think I know what you are saying. In order to have the balls of satan, eggs can not be in it. Eggs could symbolize the rebirth of the ego.

I don't know for sure but I think in order to have Satan's balls you must be pretty animal in nature, pretty egoistic, very proud about yourself. To have Satan's balls you probably have been letting yourself be a slave to your wants and needs instead of using your will to be a master to your wants and needs.

I could be wrong though. I don't know much about Satan which is funny because I know quite a bit about Lucifer.

To back this up:

In the song Jambi, the devil seems to be symbolizing a part of Maynard that is keeping him to stay materialistic and getting him to think that his ego is his true self allowing him to be ignorant to the shadow self.

Oh damn. I gotta go. I may continue later. sorry if im not clear.

]v[edusa
07-26-2007, 02:10 PM
(continued)

anyways, in my opinion to have satans balls means that you lack in transforming or becoming reborn to your self because eggs aren't included. Instead, you are left with everything else, but I think in order to have real balls you would include the eggs. Real balls have everything else and the eggs. And to be honest is does take real balls to search beyond the ego within the subconscious in order to become reborn.

And also if you noticed every time the speaker says "no eggs" everyone agrees. They agree that the recipe shouldn't include eggs because if the speaker says so then they should all follow. They don't think for themselves. They aren't themselves.

The other thing is that the speaker is telling everyone how to make the recipe as if it has to be done that way. Hes controlling his environment to how he wants it to be getting everyone to follow that recipe.

I think one of the main points to this is to not only include eggs to your recipe, but to create your own recipe. Everyone is different, everyone has their own path. Experiment with the recipe until you find the best recipe that works best for you.

]v[edusa
07-26-2007, 02:28 PM
actually. Now that I think of it, were getting told to make a recipe of satans balls so that we can eat them. Doesn't this remind you of something Bill Hicks was talking about? If society and the government are telling you what you should or shouldn't do all the time and you are hanging on their every word then you might as well be sucking satans cock (I think bill hicks said it something around there).

Sorry, I talk a lot sometimes. Sorry to bring this off topic.

tali
07-28-2007, 12:55 AM
It's ironic that a recipe for Satan's eggs contains no eggs. And Marko Fox had to shout something, some sort of a rally-cry-esque something, it might as well be "AND NO EGGS." It would have been just the same if he had said, "STIR WITH A FORK" or "BAKE UNTIL GOLDEN-BROWN."

You're reading too much into it. I feel confident that the theme of any given Tool song is not always, "Think for yourself."

If you've allowed that mantra to permeate every ounce of your being until you hear it everytime the wind blows, then Tool is spoon-feeding you as well. You can't think for yourself becuase all you think is "Think for yourself!"

I think the important thing about "Die Eier von Satan" is the impression that it leaves upon the listener. If you're at all like me, then you were a little disturbed when you first heard it and, after learning that this is only a recipe for "special" cookies, you had a good laugh about it. I feel like that is what they were going for.

]v[edusa
07-28-2007, 11:37 AM
It's ironic that a recipe for Satan's eggs contains no eggs. And Marko Fox had to shout something, some sort of a rally-cry-esque something, it might as well be "AND NO EGGS." It would have been just the same if he had said, "STIR WITH A FORK" or "BAKE UNTIL GOLDEN-BROWN."

You're reading too much into it. I feel confident that the theme of any given Tool song is not always, "Think for yourself."

If you've allowed that mantra to permeate every ounce of your being until you hear it everytime the wind blows, then Tool is spoon-feeding you as well. You can't think for yourself becuase all you think is "Think for yourself!"

I think the important thing about "Die Eier von Satan" is the impression that it leaves upon the listener. If you're at all like me, then you were a little disturbed when you first heard it and, after learning that this is only a recipe for "special" cookies, you had a good laugh about it. I feel like that is what they were going for.

I bet you sooooo much that almost every song by tool is about thinking for yourself or in other words is about digging through the unknown within yourself so that you're not some ego maniac. To me tool is just a tool to help you realize that we have to "make a sacrifice" and "die a little" in order to better the self. The "think for yourself" theme was around far before the quote in salival's Third Eye came out... Kinda weird that the band had to be straight forward by adding that quote in Salival.... but anyways...

What the hell are you babbling about? Sure its not so good to mantra that, but quit thinking that I am. Quit assuming things. yeassh

And what do you mean reading too much into it? Reading too much into what?

You know, tool just keeps using symbols, if you understand what certain symbols can represent then you don't have to read anything to understand Tool.

Yes, the whole point of the song is to be a joke, but its got a serious message too. Aenima is full of jokes, the band likes to have fun, but the album is serious too.

What it is is one man speaking out loud among the crowd telling them what to do. Since its all similar to the nazis, you know the crowd is just controlled listening to the mans every word.

So it a joke and its serious. Just like comedy skits with Bill Hick. He was a comedian but he spoke a lot of truth.

The Holy Gift
07-29-2007, 01:09 AM
so, i said it before, ill say it again....not every tool song is about third eye, lachrymology, 4th dimensional ascension, worshipping bill hicks, or "eating satans balls". please say that last one aloud to yourself and realize what an idiot you are. this song is a perfect contrast to message to harry manback. MTHM sounds all calming and tranquil, then you hear the lyrics and hes telling them to die. this song is a simple cookie/biscuit recipe, but it sounds like fucking hitler. now if you want to claim that symbolism then be my guest, but dont be like....so were eating satans balls to crucify the ego, cuz it dont make sense, they dont have anything to do with each other, and it just sounds ridiculous!

tali
07-29-2007, 04:29 AM
Whoa, Medusa, getting a little defensive, aren't we?

I suppose that your interpretation of "Die Eier von Satan" has validity, but I personally disagree. I had never thought of it that way, and it did make me think... But ultimately I decided that I disagree.

To me this one is about what it SOUNDS like. (Novel concept really, that music is about sounds...) Like I said, when I first heard it, I was dying to find out what the lyrics meant in English. Then I discovered that they didn't really mean anything. If there is a message, it is in the sounds, not the words. The message transcends words, therefore I cannot put it into words. It's about how I feel when I hear it.

But if you stand by your analyzation despite our badgering, hats off; for you, sir, are thinking for yourself. Cheers.

]v[edusa
07-29-2007, 04:30 AM
so, i said it before, ill say it again....not every tool song is about third eye, lachrymology, 4th dimensional ascension, worshipping bill hicks, or "eating satans balls".

who said that they were?

]v[edusa
07-29-2007, 04:35 AM
Whoa, Medusa, getting a little defensive, aren't we?

I suppose that your interpretation of "Die Eier von Satan" has validity, but I personally disagree. I had never thought of it that way, and it did make me think... But ultimately I decided that I disagree.

To me this one is about what it SOUNDS like. (Novel concept really, that music is about sounds...) Like I said, when I first heard it, I was dying to find out what the lyrics meant in English. Then I discovered that they didn't really mean anything. If there is a message, it is in the sounds, not the words. The message transcends words, therefore I cannot put it into words. It's about how I feel when I hear it.

But if you stand by your analyzation despite our badgering, hats off; for you, sir, are thinking for yourself. Cheers.

oh thats fine. I was more or less backing up someone else's opinion. It doesn't mean it is right, but it could be a possibility. I do get defensive when people say I'm reading too much when I'm not.

miketh74
07-29-2007, 09:15 AM
I think Tool likes hash cookies and they consider eggs to be the "eggs of Satan" because it robs the natural potency of the recipe. How would you like someone taking the THC out of your pot brownies?

miketh74
07-31-2007, 06:50 PM
You know.....Hitler only had one testicle. So, ballS is incorrect. It refers to "evil" eggs.

mrskeenan
08-22-2007, 04:36 PM
i don't really know why no eggs...hmm... eggs make things rise so maybe they're trying to condense it when cooking with hash, therefor you have to eat less to get stoned. everybody on here is arguing about it being a cake or cookie recipe, but i always thought it was for brownies. my friend michael is a pretty hardcore tool fan and he just told me the other day it was for cake, now i see you guys saying cookies, i've got to do a little research on this one...

mrskeenan
08-23-2007, 12:08 PM
yep i checked it out, it is cookies

miketh74
08-24-2007, 09:04 PM
How do you like them cookies?

Eulogy33
08-26-2007, 10:29 AM
i wonder how they taste.

mrskeenan
08-26-2007, 05:59 PM
How do you like them cookies?

i never had any, but i'm going to make a point to make some. hehe this is going to be fun...

]v[edusa
08-26-2007, 06:16 PM
i wonder how they taste.

I can't believe you peopl plan on making these after I said this:

Now that I think of it, were getting told to make a recipe of satans balls so that we can eat them. Doesn't this remind you of something Bill Hicks was talking about? If society and the government are telling you what you should or shouldn't do all the time and you are hanging on their every word then you might as well be sucking satans cock (I think bill hicks said it something around there).

What I mean by this is that we are getting told by some powerful guy that sounds like hitler to make satans balls cookies. This person is telling us what we should be doing. Don't you think the band is getting a kick out of anyone that makes and eats satans balls?

plus. I would like to add another thing about why they don't include eggs so that it fits with the whole anima theme of the album.

boccaccio (a friend from the forums) told me this:

Eggs come from females so it is feminine. This song is very masculine, power has gotten to this persons head in the song. The man is telling us to not include eggs in the recipe. This would be like taking out the feminine side from everyone leaving the world very male dominated, full of power and war without feelings, emotions, or love.

Inner_Eulogy
08-29-2007, 09:39 AM
There's DEFINATELY some people in here reading WAYYY too much into this. I think the simple pun between this and Harry Manback was just "Don't judge a book by it's cover". Simple as that.

miketh74
09-02-2007, 10:31 AM
There's DEFINATELY some people in here reading WAYYY too much into this. I think the simple pun between this and Harry Manback was just "Don't judge a book by it's cover". Simple as that.

I agree...a lot of that goes on in these threads. I got bashed once for slipping the "overanalyzing" theme from Lateralus into a post, but this seems to fall right in line with that. Wayyyy too much analyzing.

By the way....<cough> DEFINITELY. We keep each other in check pretty good don't we? I know it's definitely HYPOCRISY now. :))

slamminsalmon
09-02-2007, 10:40 AM
I can't believe you peopl plan on making these after I said this..

these are also the same people that back on the lateralus tour would be at the show and in unison say "think for yourself, question authority"

and the answer is simple. the person who made the recipe is obviously watching his/her cholesterol.

]v[edusa
09-02-2007, 04:53 PM
I agree...a lot of that goes on in these threads. I got bashed once for slipping the "overanalyzing" theme from Lateralus into a post, but this seems to fall right in line with that. Wayyyy too much analyzing.

By the way....<cough> DEFINITELY. We keep each other in check pretty good don't we? I know it's definitely HYPOCRISY now. :))

how the hell does the line from lateralus fall in line with this??

"When Maynard says "over thinking, over analyzing, separates the body from the mind, " it sounds as if he is talking about disintegrating the mind, body, and spirit.

When you are really into reading or you are really into watching a movie, you are forgetting about the reality that you are in causing you to forget your body or "separate the body from the mind".

To be perfectly balanced you need both analysis and intuition, you need to be functioning both the left and right brain. If you are only concentrating on just analysis then you are more or less separating the body from the mind. If you are balanced between left and right brain it doesn't mean that you have a limit to how much you can analyze. Maynard is most likely talking about not relying everything upon the left brain only. "

dmurf
09-04-2007, 01:29 PM
And I think that's part of the beauty of TooL; one can never tell if a song/lyric should be overanalized or not. Not that this song should me, mind you. Although, I think if someone just listened to the song, he/she would be ubershocked at it, thinking TooL was skinhead music. It's not until actually LISNTENING and UNDERSTANDING the song do you finally 'get' the joke. Hm... Bill Hicks, anyone?

Tool_Is_Sick
09-04-2007, 08:06 PM
I think its TOOL's way of saying that satan has no balls he is a pussy or what have you. You cant make dough balls without any eggs right? thats my thinking on this song.

miketh74
09-05-2007, 08:01 PM
how the hell does the line from lateralus fall in line with this??

"When Maynard says "over thinking, over analyzing, separates the body from the mind, " it sounds as if he is talking about disintegrating the mind, body, and spirit.

When you are really into reading or you are really into watching a movie, you are forgetting about the reality that you are in causing you to forget your body or "separate the body from the mind".

To be perfectly balanced you need both analysis and intuition, you need to be functioning both the left and right brain. If you are only concentrating on just analysis then you are more or less separating the body from the mind. If you are balanced between left and right brain it doesn't mean that you have a limit to how much you can analyze. Maynard is most likely talking about not relying everything upon the left brain only. "

I understand your point Medusa, but overanalyzing a song such as this DOES take away from the fun of it....which I think was my point. I really don't think Tool made this song with Hitler, Nazis, or anything German in mind.

I don't take Maynard's lyrics literally or religiously, so my reference to Lateralus was more or less just a pun. Don't take me too serious...I know I don't.

swimminginmusic
03-13-2014, 01:22 AM
This is purely a cooking question. I myself have never made the famous hash cakes, so why no eggs? Does it mess up the drug or what, because most cakes that are baked need at least 1 egg. Just a question............

so… we cook for a living… and the culinary reason behind making a cookie with no eggs could just be for vegan purposes, but this is a classic tea cookie + hash. They should come out like a ball that crumbles as you bite into it. The flour keeps it together and the butter keeps it moist so it doesn't need the eggs. If you were to put an egg into this recipe they would come out clumpy and dense, possibly chewy.

I think the fact that they emphasize it lacking eggs comes from something a little more metaphorical, like they chose this recipe because it doesn't use eggs to begin with.

… and to all who say is doesn't work or didn't go right… are you sure you said the magic words correctly?