PDA

View Full Version : Passion in Learning

Mario
11-30-2002, 03:23 AM
i thikn that lateralus is one of the most beautifully written songs. i even dare to say that it's TOOL's most inspiring song.
anyhow...
i think lateralus is a journey through the HUMANITY and the INTELLIGENCE all of us possess... it does get personal at times i think: "black then white are all i see in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be..." but i again, i think we can all relate to this song.

black and white are very simple. when maynard sings about red and yellow, i think he refers to the enduring, growth and maturing... or the appreciation we find in life as we grow.

then, he (or the individual) becomes well grounded and thinks that maybe there's more to life than we see. "... i imagine drawn outside the lines of reason..." and then when he sings "push the envelope, watch it bend" i think he refers to TAKING RISKS.

i'm honestly not sure about the chorus, although i think it might be refering to the self-intelligence we might find within our spirit. also, it alludes to the pleasure we should find in living and in moments that affect our lives, spirits, souls, etc.

then when it says "reaching out to embrace the rythm, reaching out to embrace whatever may come..." again i think it's about taking calculated risks... why calculate? think... "embrace the rythm" perhaps meaning, the rythm that keeps us grounded...

and then, my favorite part... the humanity in us...
"come and embrace my desire to
feel the rythm - feel reason (that's the rythm)
feel connected - still be in touch with our senses
enough to step aside
and weep like the widow -rid fear of showing emotion
to feel inspired -inspiration (pretty obvious)
to fathom the power -to take advantage of the ability we possess
to witness the beauty, to
bathe in the fountain - we can all be beautiful beings... we should not merely participate in admiring people's superficial beauty, we, too CAN BE BEAUTIFUL

and then swing on the spiral, show me i'm human..." -beautifully written... yes again, as spiritual and emotional as we can get... we'll always be human... that spirituality should make us feel even more human.

then the final verse... "with my feet upon the ground, i lose myself between the sound..." the feet on the ground refer to him being grounded and reasonable, losing himself in the sound refers to the new found feeling or inspiration.

Lateralus, one of the most beautifully written songs EVER. It's a song that we should use as something that inspires us to do something in life... we can all be great... thanks!