PDA

View Full Version : Intension= Evolution 101

10-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Normally, when I look at a song, and attempt to understand its context I usually pick out a couple of keywords that come about throughout the song, and try to piece those words together into a cohesive possibility at some sort of meaning behind the song. Well when I first listened and then read the lyrics for "Intension" I kind of already picked up on the concept of the very early stages of our species, but I wanted to dig a little bit deeper and further explain the context of this song. Lets start with the definition of "Intension" first, and go from there. Now before I continue to progress, I've noticed a lot of people using "Intention" for the song's title, but it's Intension, and heres why.

Intension (n.): What you must know in order to determine the reference of an expression.

Synonym: Connotation

Now if any of you have read 83%'s post on the 10,000 Years theory, this definition fits perfectly with the context of the song. "Intension" is the genuine opening song for this album, subsequent to Lipan Conjuring, but I won't count Lipan as a song, moreso a track. Anyways, according to 83%'s theory and my first thoughts on the song, this song is giving you a cursory 101 teaching of our evolution, showing you how we used what seemed like beneficial findings at the time, and turning them into weapons on each other. "Intension" is the track you need to listen to first in order to understand the references in "Right In Two," "Vicarious," "Jambi," and "Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned". Not to underestimate anyone's intelligence or awareness to our current global state, but more of a hypothetical if you were a human with zero preconceptions and zero knowledge and music was your only tool for hastily updating your memory, you would pick this album, and play "Intension" first in order to understand the rest of the album. I hope this makes a ton of sense, but this is how I begin to form most of my concepts. Feel free to refute, or leave any comments in general.

parsad13
10-19-2006, 03:05 AM
i really like the evolution idea and it sounds like it would be great as an opening track...
also, though. If the song were about growing as a person and as a race, it might work well at the end of the album as well. When i listen to this track moving into right in two, i get the feel of wanting to evolve past the need for religion after all the album had to say on that subject (i think that in RIT the last line is "bench 'em all with patience and reason" getting at the feel of not needing the guidance of god to have patience and reason and all other redeeming human qualities)
Again, though, it's just an opinion. The beauty of it all is that it really could work in any sense no matter what. I love the idea though.

Zippy
10-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Perhaps there is an alternate order for this album as so many have hypothesized for Lateralus?

I prefer the idea of this album being divided into sub-themes, with two or three tracks fitting together. We obviously have the 'Wings' pair, and 'Vignti Tres' has to fit with these. 'Intension' and 'Right in Two' seem to fit like Parabol/a. 'Lost Keys' and 'Rosetta Stoned' are another that seems like a long song that was divided only to split the two halves, and 'Lipan Conjuring' fits in context. That leaves us with the three songs that I could ever imagine hearing on the radio, 'Vicarious', 'Jambi', and 'Pot'.

I sense three distinct tones throughout this album, and three quasi-themes. At least three sets of songs that connect with each other and not so much with the others.

44&4
10-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Could it be possible that "Intension", besides the dictionary definition, could be a contraction of "intention" and "tension", ala Aeni(e)ma, being a contraction of Anima and enema? Seems to me to fit Tool's m.o. I also like the evolution theory, and it has been clear to me all along that this is what the song is about.

whooz
10-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Pure intension juxtaposed, will set two lovers' souls in motion...