PDA

View Full Version : Intension is a great song (Tool's aggression is surface level)

Mr. Parabola
10-10-2006, 10:52 AM
I wanted create this post as a counterpoint to the "Tool is no longer aggressive thread."

In an interview a few years back, Maynard responded to Limp Bizkit and Staind covering Tool. He basically said that nu-metal acts only picked up on the surface-level aggression in Tool songs, failing to go any deeper.

(The interview is on this website in the articles section. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly where...I feel like Bill Hicks doing Pussywhipped Satan of off Arizona Bay, "Does anyone remember that fucking story?")

Anyway, we need to remember what makes Tool great. It's their musicianship and lyrical insights. Intension is a beautiful song that demonstrates both of those qualities.

If all you want is surface level aggression, go join your g-g-generation and listen to Limp Bizkit.

grigri
10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
I thought we already agreed that people can think what they will about Tool, and posting positively or negatively only worsens the signal to noise ratio on this board.

So lets close these worthless threads, that enlighten no one, and get on with whats important: figuring out wtf this songs intro is?

One of the sounds I hear 18 seconds in is like coffee beans or something being scooped? At 31 seconds you can distinctly hear them being dropped into a tray or something. Basically, it reminds me of some kind of bulk food being scooped up and collected.

mjkajdcjc
10-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Tool has definately shifted styles from that of a hard rock/art rock outfit to an enormously gifted prog band that enjoys endulging its listeners in a vast multitude of sounds and effects. The fact that they have gotten "less agressive" is complete bull shit. Just because your music doesn't come across as Limp Bizkit-rage-stupidity doesn't mean that you have lost your "inner rage."

base metal
10-25-2006, 10:19 PM
True, it's foolish to say that Tool is no longer aggressive, last time I checked Vicarious and Jambi were kinda heavy in parts.

I dig the whole trippy effect this song has, the vocals are surreal, this song is killer stoned.

mr. nikki jensen
10-26-2006, 06:30 AM
Intension is awesome

El Shaggy
10-28-2006, 09:55 AM
This is a non issue, because its obvious Intension is a great song, people who see otherwise have fallen out of Tool's demographic.

As for the Intro, I think they are just industrial-ish sounds, its is very reminiscent of Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine".