PDA

View Full Version : What Awesome Song!

Useful)(Idiot
09-12-2006, 02:59 PM
I’d never really listened all that much to Salival until the other night, I had read in a thread somewhere that this song was very powerful so I checked it out first. Man, this is such an overwhelming song! It’s so faultless in every way. First thing that engrossed me was the band, that guitar seems to speak, Maynards tone of voice is so fitting for the lyrics and the melody. I really think this was the ideal way for us to hear this song, recorded live. I just don’t think it would’ve had the same outcome had it been recorded in studio.

hushypushy
09-12-2006, 08:39 PM
man, salival is sweet....LISTEN TO IT

oh yeah, don't forget that Buzz from the melvins was on this track too, which was pretty cool

ktdude
10-03-2006, 01:09 AM
I don't think they would have bothered to record it in the studio considering it was a cover.... can't really see Tool putting covers on any of their studio albums. But live it works brilliantly and is a real special moment, along with many others, on Salival.

On a side note, I have been trying to get hold of the Peach album for some time now, wanting to hear the original as well as Spasm, and just generally hear Justin in his old band, anyone know where I can get hold of it. It's proving difficult.

Phorty
10-03-2006, 09:05 AM
I don't think they would have bothered to record it in the studio considering it was a cover.... can't really see Tool putting covers on any of their studio albums.

No Quarter was a cover of a Led Zeppelin song by the same name... its on the same cd (Salival) and obviously its a studio recording.
So , yeah.

Chris_Brightwell
10-03-2006, 09:18 AM
No Quarter was a cover of a Led Zeppelin song by the same name... its on the same cd (Salival) and obviously its a studio recording.
So , yeah.IIRC, it was recorded during the Aenima sessions and was meant for Enconium (an all-star Led Zepp tribute CD) but was scrapped due to time constraints.

Chris_Brightwell
10-03-2006, 09:20 AM
On a side note, I have been trying to get hold of the Peach album for some time now, wanting to hear the original as well as Spasm, and just generally hear Justin in his old band, anyone know where I can get hold of it. It's proving difficult.http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=giving+birth+to+a+stone&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=35803&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=

http://www.amazon.com/Giving-Birth-Stone-Peach/dp/B00004WFGP/sr=8-1/qid=1159896010/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3367017-8757502?ie=UTF8&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/Giving-Birth-Stone-Peach-gb/dp/B00005QD9R/sr=8-2/qid=1159896010/ref=sr_1_2/104-3367017-8757502?ie=UTF8&s=music

Red Yehti
10-05-2006, 12:10 PM
TOOL took this song which was almost unheard of and turned it into a rock masterpeice. Maynard sounds like a monk singing in the monastary. Adams gitaur goes from chain saw to violin and back to chain saw. I still get chills when Maynard belts out "YOU LIED!!!!!!" at the climactic point of the song.

panama
10-17-2006, 05:56 PM
LOVE this song.

#Notion
10-19-2006, 02:19 PM
LOVE this song.

You're cute.

Yeah this song is powerful etc etc, even though Buzz's part sounds shitty if you were to hear him play by himself, it fits really fucking well when he lays it on top of everything. But, OP said in another thread that this song takes out No Quarter, and if you want to measure a song by emotional constitution and overall badassness, then I have to say I strongly disagree (what song is better than hearing old school maynard and some adam acoustic in the same song?).

mjkajdcjc
10-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Melvins = best grunge band out there

King Buzzo is one fucking insane dude. I love everything he does.

base metal
10-25-2006, 11:56 PM
This is another great performance, it would be cool to hear the original version Peach recorded. The guitar melodys speak immensely and make the song in my opinion.
There is a major Black Sabbath style riff in there too, kinda intersting in contrast.
Bottom Line:Cool Shit!

bluegreenjackiechan
10-26-2006, 11:35 PM
The original isnt as good as the Tool version, im not being a biast Tool fan its actually true, its slower and Tool's version is alot more mystical or somethin with Maynards voice effect

philipg
10-29-2006, 04:50 PM
On a side note, I have been trying to get hold of the Peach album for some time now, wanting to hear the original as well as Spasm, and just generally hear Justin in his old band, anyone know where I can get hold of it. It's proving difficult.

amazon.com
i ordered the album last winter, the second track was really good but overall i was kind of unimpressed with the album. it doesnt even have justin's signature bass sound on it as he played guitar and sang for this band.
they were good songwriters but i think maynard's voice just completely blows justin's out of the water.

ktdude
10-30-2006, 01:52 AM
amazon.com
i ordered the album last winter, the second track was really good but overall i was kind of unimpressed with the album. it doesnt even have justin's signature bass sound on it as he played guitar and sang for this band.
they were good songwriters but i think maynard's voice just completely blows justin's out of the water.
Justin SANG? that's news to me. I will definitely have to get hold of that.

s ti N Kfizt
11-05-2006, 03:45 AM
great song.

mr. nikki jensen
11-24-2006, 12:31 PM
the intro of the song's orgasmic

base metal
11-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Isn't it...both the guitar and bass parts are awesome and I would rate this as one of Maynard's best vocal performances.

mr. nikki jensen
01-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Isn't it...both the guitar and bass parts are awesome and I would rate this as one of Maynard's best vocal performances.

defently

Polish_Rides_The_Spiral
01-30-2007, 02:17 PM
anybody know where i can get peaches version of this? i know its on the album giving birth to a stone, but i cant find the cd anywhere!

Chris_Brightwell
01-30-2007, 02:30 PM
anybody know where i can get peaches version of this? i know its on the album giving birth to a stone, but i cant find the cd anywhere!http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WFGP

Inbleach
02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
The first verse gives me chills......

slamminsalmon
02-07-2007, 05:01 PM
has been my favorite song they have done for awhile

truly an experience

nocatharsis
08-13-2007, 05:12 PM
I was just listening to the Peach album on the ride home from work. I've had it for a while, it's pretty good. I doubt many stores actually carry it/have it modeled for sale, but I ordered mine from Barnes and Noble because I work there, and you can definitely still order it at least.

parables in the world
08-14-2007, 07:59 PM
i bought mine at hastings...new.

Eulogy33
09-26-2007, 12:56 PM
i love their version of this.

Aenima7988
10-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Yea dude, the intro itself is the sickest thing in the world. I love how he sounds like he's in a monestary or doing a gregoriean chant throughout the song, and he finally belts "YOU LIED" Agreed, the best part of the song.
I didn't know Buzz was on this track, that's sick. Which one is he? Is he high or low when they're playing that one part an octave apart?
Who else is on it? The CD says performed with Peach, but I only hear one drummer, and I always figured the Peach guitarist was the other guitar on the recording. I assume it's Peach singer doing harmonies with Maynard.
Yeah, definitely get a hold of the Peach album. I don't like too many tracks, You Lied is stale compared to this version, but it's worth it just to hear Spasm. I've heard bootlegs of Tool covering Spasm and they can't come close to the original. Weird, they can botch one amazing song by Peach and blossom another song into a complete spectacle.

Jambi_the_Genie
10-25-2007, 03:12 PM
This is a truly awesome song,

especially the "YOU LIEEED!" part at the end, its so sick

but the main reason i like this

is because it shows what Justin's other band was like

This and Spasm are great songs

Peach (now called Suns of the Tundra) doesnt get the respect and popularity they deserve, totally underrated band...

slamminsalmon
10-25-2007, 04:11 PM
The first verse gives me chills......

lol