PDA

View Full Version : My God, I LOVE Lateralus' climax...

sephirothpuppet
05-09-2003, 10:07 AM
After the bridge, when Danny stops for a minute to let Adam do his repeated notes, and then the time change with the full-out drums...BANG! I can't help doing it along. ;) I get ecstatic just thinking about it. Lateralus' ending is probably the greatest two minutes in all of Tool's music. Anyone else feel this way?

Martin
05-09-2003, 10:40 AM
That ending almost knocked me out cold the 1st time I heard it!
But I still don't think it's the best ending.
I give that title to "Pushit."

That ending... ...it blew me away.
Those are the best three minutes of music that has ever been compiled.

Alexandra
05-09-2003, 12:13 PM
Wow, excellent picks gentlemen. I love the end to Lateralus too, right at about 7:20, that's awesome! It's extremely enlightening.

I would have to agree with Pushit too, that end is so uplifting after the whole song is about being oppressed and restrained, then all of the members just let go, and rediscover themselves - at least that's what the end sounds like to me.

But, I would give the best ending to Parabola. When I first heard the end to Parabola, I just about fell over. I think I had to sit down, really. It was the coolest riff I had ever heard, and since it's mainly Adam just being in his zone and doing his thing, it was awesome. It's so hardcore! I am glad they devoted an ending like that to the end of a song.

I don't think the end to Parabola is as meaningful to the rest of the song, as say Pushit's ending is to Pushit, but I just love it. I used to play it over and over and over and over...

4th Eye
05-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Lateralus and Pushit saved the best parts to the end, also Jimmy, The Grudge and Ænema have nice endings. Parabola's ending is awesome in a different way.

If I had to choose the best ending, I would pick...*thinks*...*still thinking*...Lateralus.

Also, the very end of live version of Pushit is funny when they're clapping hands.

revolver_7
05-09-2003, 01:34 PM
i totally agree with you on that one

lateralus' ending is just ming bending divine experience... especially when you listen to the whole record through it hits you right were it counts

but in my opinion Lateralus belongs at the end of the record
is that just me or does lateralus seem like the best closing song for a record? i can definately see d/r/t going on before lateralus but fiad de oiad would seem out of place then... i dont know...

Skunk
05-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Have you guys heard the way they play the very ending now live? Basically after the end of the song they do a really short jam followed by one of the most amazing guitar effects I've ever heard where Adam keeps playing the same little note over and over really quickly, then goes slower and slower until it's done, then all the instruments hit one last time. They played it this way at both of the shows I went to and it really up-plays the massive scope of the song. It sounds like the song is so huge and powerful they can't just stop playing it, they have to slow it down like a giant train or something.... Amazing.

If you haven't heard it, there's a really good mp3 of it you can download from www.deadohiosky.net, in the Perth, AU show.

hbynoe
05-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Martin

Those are the best three minutes of music that has ever been compiled. i know we aren't supposed to post i agree or what ever

but dude i know exactly what you are saying

those minutes are so inspired

jokullsolberg
05-12-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Martin

Those are the best three minutes of music that has ever been compiled.

This is basically exactly how i feel. At first when i hadn't heard any of the live stuff from Salival, lateralus was my favorite song. Just such a brilliant drop d riff; and the hard-to-headband-to drums...just a jaw dropping composition. But then again ... pushit does have an even purer ecstacy to the end.

D/R/T
05-14-2003, 05:26 AM
yeah gotta love the ending....absoltuely amazing...but i also love the grudge ending, right after maynard screams 'Let Go!'
and then Danny does his shit.....

reign3
05-14-2003, 01:54 PM
the ending is great. i'd also have to give the "best ending" title to the live pushit. my favorite ending on the whole cd would have to be reflection though. kickasss

Quetzocoatl
05-15-2003, 08:11 PM
though I LOVE lateralus, I'd have to say that my favorite ending is the Salival version of Third Eye. Not so much Maynard's screaming (which is awesome), but the guitar buildup is just so lush and colorful and powerful.

Pierre-Paul
05-16-2003, 03:28 PM
My favorite ending is Third Eye's Ænima version, when maynard screams "Prying open my third eye".

Kudos to The Patient, the whole "If there was no reward to reap..." part with the amazing guitar sound is orgasmic to me.

Flood
06-05-2003, 03:44 PM
There are so many great Tool endings to speak of, where do I start?

Stinkfist: the part that comes after the bridge is awesome! You always gotta bob your head to that one.

Pushit: I like the part from 6:30 until the rest of the song. The long guitar part is the best part of the song.

AEnima: "I'm praying for rain, I'm praying for tidal waves, I wanna see the ground give way, I wanna watch it all go down, etc." Pure greatness.

Flood: "The water's rising over me, said the water's rising over me...thought the sun would come deliver me but the truth has come to punish me instead" Followed by a scream and then the ending lyrics, "ground breaks down right under me, cleanse and purge me in the water!"

Lateralus: It has already been spoken of.

The Grudge: The ending makes the song good. The primal scream, then Danny's drumming, damn!

and of course Reflection: "before we pine away" always sticks in my head sometime during the day.

a_divine_martyr
06-05-2003, 10:52 PM
Am I the only one who loves the Third Eye ending?

Merkaba
06-12-2003, 06:27 PM
my favorites are all tied, they are

aenema (i love how the bass and drums and guitar are doing diff timings, i love the bass's timing the most though"
parabol(a) (i love how adam just kind of lets go and lets the song "take on a life of its own")
the grudge (i love the last drums in the entire song)
schism (UNBELIEVABLE, probably my favorite of all of them though)
pushit (great)

seges
06-15-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by D/R/T
yeah gotta love the ending....absoltuely amazing...but i also love the grudge ending, right after maynard screams 'Let Go!'
and then Danny does his shit.....

The Grudge has the most explosive ending of any song I've ever heard, it still makes me teary eyed when I hear it. Danny is BY FAR, the best drummer in my opinion, not only playing ability, but in what he writes as well, I'm a drummer, and I can't even begin to comprehend what it would be like to be able to play and/or write how he does.

supersonic2006
06-22-2003, 08:02 PM
i also like third eye, but i like the whole song too.

the grudge is one of my favorite songs so, yeah, let go let go let go let go let go let go let go LET GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

I think that Third Eye is one of the saddest of Tool's song, it somewhat makes me want to cry, because it's like "why are you running away?"

liek somebody's so wanting to be happy and then they run away. it makes me sad.

Infidel111
06-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by a_divine_martyr

no. i personally love Third Eye's ending on either version. i like the live version better, but it lacks a lot of what the studio version has... things that would be hard to add into a live version.

supersonic2006
06-29-2003, 08:39 PM
Lateralus, though, damn... it's indescribable... i love the bass with the WOO WOO WOO WOO and then it goes higher WOO WOO WOO WOO... it's fantastic it moves my body... i can't help it.

I'm listening to it right now... "PUSHING ME ACROSS THE LINE.."

psyco_jeter
06-29-2003, 10:26 PM
i would say that pushit's ending is my favorite, and my favorite song probably, very powerful

Aemima
07-29-2003, 09:36 AM
There are loads of Tool songs that spark all types of emotions when i listen to them, but Lateralus' climax is easily the most powerful.
Slow build up and then it just happens, i love it.

NeWorlDamage
08-01-2003, 05:32 PM
ok this is my first post so here goes :P, and yes Lateralus has a damn good ending, when i first heard it i couldn't believe how a band could play the drums and guitar soooo good, it was the best thing i've ever heard in my life, and i think ALL of Third Eye is great, i espically like the part where Maynard just almost talks instead of singing which is this part here....

"Shroud-ing all the ground around me Is this holy crow above me. Black as holes within a memory And blue as our new second sun. I stick my hand into his shadow To pull the pieces from the sand. Which I attempt to reassemble To see just who I might have been. I do not recognize the vessel, But the eyes seem so familiar. Like phosphorescent desert buttons Singing one familiar song" i think that is really good in Third Eye

Pushit: omg, no ending to a song can get better then this IMO, i love playing the ending to this song, when i first heard it it seriously made chills go through my body, and how come nobody has mentioned Bottom yet :P cus i think it has a real good ending too the way danny is playing the drums and the guitar at the end is great

DANNY IS THE SHITS ON THE DRUMS

Martin
08-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Agreed on Pushit.
One of the cooler endings belongs to Flood in my opinion. It finishes with a blast! And yes, Bottom has an awesome ending as well.

I know what you are talking about, chills through your body. I like listen to all this brilliant music with friend or something. We're usually talking about, uh, stuff, and half-busy with chatting, half-busy listening, these climaxes catch me sort of "off guard." It's in these moments the music really impacts you, when they get to you by surprise. Like going from Parabol to Parabola.

Also, when sorta half-asleep, I get the same feeling. It has to happen kind of by accident, like you don't know what is coming. When you're listening closely, you always know what comes next, and thus not getting the same feeling. Man... their music sure is awesome.

NeWorlDamage
08-01-2003, 06:54 PM
i mostly listen to Tool all by myself cus i like to really listen to the lyrics and hear the drums and beat, instead of hearing people talk and stuff, and just like u said about surprises, thats wat it was when i first heard Pushit cus when at the end when Maynard says "I must persuade you another way." he sings it high pitched and the drums kick in at the end of that and its just a wonder to be hold IMO, and i seriously like how Tool aren't repetitive, because most bands are, like the new St. Anger album (which is stupid and repetitive IMO), lol i would really like for another Tool album to be released :D

vagrantandused
08-20-2003, 07:19 PM

noooo... third eye is my favorite ending to when its quiet and then maynard busts in with "so glad to see you..."

eulogy508
08-20-2003, 07:44 PM
There are so many great endings in all of Tool history.

some of my favs:

the grudge
lateralus
ticks and leeches
stinkfist

AND last but definately not least,
pushit.... my god, that is probably the best ending by any band, ever... i love it to death...

Penguin
08-21-2003, 06:34 PM
To hear the extended ending...~ http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?t=9304

sephirothpuppet
08-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Wow...I'd forgotten all about this post.

Indeed, Tool certainly has the most impressive endings of any band out there. Lateralus is awesome, but I also love the endings/climaxes to Schism, The Patient, The Grudge (How does Danny do the 2-count/5-count overlay so easily?), Ticks and Leeches (my God, that ending is powerful!), Stinkfist, Aenima...and one that I don't think gets enough recognition, Sober's ending. It's so enormously simple, but the power behind it is awesome. It amazes me how Tool is able to continuously come up with these monster endings.

Luna Galapogos
08-29-2003, 06:33 PM
If you ask me, not only is just the ending of most TOOL songs amazing, but the whole song itself. TOOL is like a drug, the only one I take, but it has more power than any other drug out there. I think that Pushit is my favorite, (the live version). Sweet Jesus that song is unbelievable. The final breakaway, the feeling of letting your body go and become your full potential, away from anything else. I love it. I hope they put out another CD.

supersonic2006
08-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Someone earlier was talking about like being caught off guard when you're not paying close attention sometimes.

well, sometimes i'll be listening to Lateralus and like falling asleep, and I'll be asleep, and then the crescendo from parabol to parabola wakes me up everytime and i'm just full of energy, and jumpin off the walls singin' duhduhduhduhduuhhhduuuhhduuhduhduhduh... we barely remember........ just like INSANELY AWAKE after being asleep.

eulogy508
08-31-2003, 08:22 AM
Another great ending all of you forgot is Four Degrees... so emotional... I love the little solo near the end of the song, too. Is it just me or is the whole song very underrated on tdn?

im_naked_and_fearless
08-31-2003, 10:36 AM
Another great ending all of you forgot is Four Degrees... so emotional... I love the little solo near the end of the song, too. Is it just me or is the whole song very underrated on tdn?

you know another song that does not get alot of recognition is undertow that song is so damn powerful maynard just has a great voice, especially when he screams his lungs out!

eulogy508
08-31-2003, 01:17 PM
you know another song that does not get alot of recognition is undertow that song is so damn powerful maynard just has a great voice, especially when he screams his lungs out!

Yeah, thats definately true... I love maynard's voice in that song as well as the guitar parts. (Isn't that fast little interlude at the end just amazing?)

Mehhico
09-09-2003, 09:43 PM
I just wanted to add that I think "Eulogy" has a great ending aswell. The music just before and during "Come down...." is pretty amazing. The cymbals sound extraordinary. The overall song, with this insane sounding ending, is really quite a package. I always get a semi when listening to this track.

As for best overall ending, I would have to go with "The Grudge". Mr Carey certainly is one hell of an angel.

Kind regards,
Andy

s ti N Kfizt
08-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Tool's endings are divine.
My favorite is propably Lateralus' ending.. it's so.. amazing.

Citizen Erased
08-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Lateralus is my favourite Tool song. It does so much for me.

I get so excited just thinking about what new music Tool with show us, hopefully there'll be a song that I will love the same or more than Lateralus.

Ming
08-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Hopefully we'll get some more "ming-bending" experiences.:)

TTM
08-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Lateralus is my favorite all time song ever! I seriously get chills ever time i 'really' listen to it, and i cant just help my self to air guitar it at the climax.
Pushit come next, but the climax is just slightly under lateralus' i just love the release and how it flows.. its just indescribable! Unfortunatly for me the song kind of grinds at some points, where as lateralus' flows perfectly.
I'm not really that into screaming climaxes, so im not much of a fan of The Grudge or Third Eye.
Undertow has the all time best lyrics imo, i just love them. They are just poetic.
ah.. and Stink Fist. My second favorite song. This song just makes me feel good. I think it is Tools best short song (short as in somthing around 5 min :P) next to Jimmy and Prison Sex.

Why do you think Tool split up Parabol and Parabola? The filler melts perfectly into the main track. it sounds as though they were recorded together. Did tool think it would make the song too long?