PDA

View Full Version : electronic percussion

UConn Philo
08-08-2006, 11:13 PM
I've never really been able to get in to this song, because the voices DC chose sound identical to stock effects on my DTXpress II electronic drumset. The little beeping sound is the default metronome voice, for example. Takes me right out of the listening experience. I'm not a huge fan of the electronic high hat sound either; it makes me feel like this song could have been awesome with acoustic percussion instead, or at least more original electronics.

Anybody agree, disagree?

foma
08-10-2006, 01:48 AM
well there are traditional acoustic percussions in it, aren't there?

Like somebody pointed out, it's like an 'evolution' from acoustic to electronic.
i agree the electronic percussion is rathar annoing, but think it's inteded to be, as part of the song.

solidabyss
08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
i love the tabla in the song, and the electronic drums, i see what you mean, but i think danny was just looking for a new media to work with, danny has done it all now

UConn Philo
08-10-2006, 12:28 PM
I do like electronic percussion, I mean I do own an electronic drumset, it's just like it kind of seems like he used electronics for the sake of using electronics, unlike the nice balance between acoustic/electronic he usually nails.

I hasn't heard the theory about it evolving from acoustic to electronic... anyone want to elaborate?

MORNING_GLORY
08-16-2006, 07:05 PM
I may be digressing from the topic, but I realized that the electronic percussion starts at about 4:43, and some interesting whispers start at 4:50...

Besides the fact that it sounds nice, I think the electro drums are used to cover the message sotto voce.

I'm pretty sure these whispers are different than the ones in the beginning, although they do sound reversed.

mindstream
08-16-2006, 07:12 PM
It's actually my favorite part of the song...that, and the 'Reflection' type guitar mood Adam evokes.

Kelly
08-16-2006, 08:13 PM
It's no Aphex but it's close and I approve.

mr. nikki jensen
08-17-2006, 07:43 AM
It's actually my favorite part of the song...that, and the 'Reflection' type guitar mood Adam evokes.

couldn't agree more

MORNING_GLORY
08-22-2006, 09:15 AM
To add on to my oringinal thought... that annoying bell starts chiming around 2:46, and some more whispers start about 2:50... once again something is covering up the whispers... and to keep with the theme of the thread... its usually a percussion instrument covering the sound... I have a feeling something is being hidden.

einnor
09-11-2006, 08:45 PM
have they played this live yet? would love to see danny pull it off exactly the same as the album. damned if i can make any sense of the patterns he is playing towards the end. those mandala pads are pretty cool

SpiraMirabilis
09-12-2006, 02:36 AM
I am sorry for the people who find the electronic sounds anoying. I, with little experience of electronic music, find the passage very effective, and a worthy contrast to the acustic passages. But it is by no means a masterpiece in the electronic world.

duncang
09-13-2006, 06:18 AM
It's funny you should mention this because I can't get into ANY of the album because the percussion sounds a lot like the snare, high hat, cymbols and bass drum I have at my house.

Hah.

I'm impartial to the electronic percussion, sometimes when I listen I really like it, sometimes I don't, but either way its a great addition to the song, it shows that Tool are still adding new elements and influences to their music.

Loveboat Captain
09-14-2006, 02:39 PM
To add on to my oringinal thought... that annoying bell starts chiming around 2:46, and some more whispers start about 2:50... once again something is covering up the whispers... and to keep with the theme of the thread... its usually a percussion instrument covering the sound... I have a feeling something is being hidden.

Danny is hiding something. OooooooOOOoH! I hope this develops soon.