PDA

View Full Version : I. Am. In. Love.

lateral_circle
04-23-2006, 01:05 AM
Wow. This track is sooooo fucking beautiful. Or Jim Carey style; B-E-A-UTIFUL!.

Anyone else falling more in love with the entire album???? Wow.

soberfish
04-23-2006, 02:29 AM
Intension > Right In Two

Athanatizein
04-23-2006, 09:12 AM
It's kinda boring.

To cite MJK in the Finnish interview:

"If someone cant concentrate on listening to this kinda record, I
apologize but this is where Tool stands now. Cos i love movies like "Apocalypse. Now". It's very easy for me to sit down the whole time and watch it. But if someone is satisfied with Adam Sandler, go ahead. There's a place for everything."

soberfish
04-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Headphones song.

Driving down the highway at about 90 song. Try it.

xmorteferoz
04-23-2006, 10:38 AM

It does sound good this way.

Right In Two beats it by a bit though. Personal opinion.

chickenweasel
04-23-2006, 10:39 AM
This song is incredibly beautiful.

Latitudinarian
04-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Intension is with a doubt my favriote track.

Sodemizer
04-23-2006, 05:57 PM
You drive like my grandmother I do 100 school zones and this song makes me close my eyes. So I'm not tryin it.

Sober_Tom
05-01-2006, 08:47 PM
This song easily was the one that grabbed my attention upon listening to the album for the first time. Also, i could see a remix occur with this song, such has been done with pushit. there are many directions that this song could take. anyone agree?

Behemoth
05-02-2006, 06:21 AM
At first it sounded stale and boring. Now, after multiple listenings, I am in love with it as well. This song is no filler, or a crap song, or a useless segue. This song isn't Disposition part 2. But, for sure, it is a wonderful piece of music.

caseyerau
05-02-2006, 07:27 AM
This song easily was the one that grabbed my attention upon listening to the album for the first time. Also, i could see a remix occur with this song, such has been done with pushit. there are many directions that this song could take. anyone agree?
i definitely agree and can't wait to see the variations over time when they play it live, especially all those electric dums!

Kjac18
05-02-2006, 09:49 AM
I love this cd, its been so incredible!!!!!!

Spanky
05-02-2006, 10:20 AM
This song makes me want to have sex.

Life feeds on life
05-02-2006, 10:31 AM
intension + 10,000days artwork = sexy

TurdEye13
05-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Intension > Right In Two

no way!

m4yn4rd
05-02-2006, 04:36 PM
no way!

Well that's your opinion.

This is my favourite track on the cd so far, I know I've gone through a bout 100 "favourite tool tracks" in the past. It reminds me of Reflection, but kicks ass on a whole new leve.

HolyReality
05-02-2006, 04:38 PM
I love the pushit riff. seriously. it makes the song.

zavlin
05-02-2006, 06:28 PM
I actually feel that intension and right in two are just as vital as a pair as LK and rosetta stoned.

KingSigy
05-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Yeah, the two seem to be connected, but Intension is incredible. I still prefer Right in Two over it, with its more powerful lyrics, but an opinion is an opinion.

Lamb & Martyr^
05-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Its a nice chill song.

dice5199
05-03-2006, 07:02 PM
For me, it was forgettable after the first listen. However, I now like this song alot. It's Tool's attempt at minimalism, and I think they succeeded. There are alot of subtleties that become more evident with each listen. A very delicate build up that doesn't crush you at the climax. Different than some of the other songs that build up and climax with a wall of sound. I think it adds balance to the album. Also, a good lead in to "Right In Two" both in terms of sound and meaning.

Wonko The Sane
05-03-2006, 07:49 PM
This song is wonderful. I think it's one of their best. Simple, gentle and incredibly poignant. I love it!

Wonko The Sane
05-03-2006, 07:51 PM
I really meant "subtle" rather than "simple" .

Volrath
05-05-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm beginning to warm up to it. Still think it's too long though.

cynicis
05-05-2006, 09:08 AM
It's kind of like Disposition Pt 2. Not in its sound, but in it's purpose. As a lead into the next track.

Jon08
05-06-2006, 08:34 AM
For me, it was forgettable after the first listen. However, I now like this song alot. It's Tool's attempt at minimalism, and I think they succeeded. There are alot of subtleties that become more evident with each listen. A very delicate build up that doesn't crush you at the climax. Different than some of the other songs that build up and climax with a wall of sound. I think it adds balance to the album. Also, a good lead in to "Right In Two" both in terms of sound and meaning.

this isn't minimalism. the closest thing to minimalism on the album is Wings.

dice5199
05-06-2006, 08:44 PM
this isn't minimalism. the closest thing to minimalism on the album is Wings.

I suppose you are correct if you define it only in terms of repetition. However, the definition of minimalism can be more broad, depending on one's interpretation. For what it's worth, here is the definition from Tom Johnson, music composer and critic for The Village Voice and the man who claims to have coined the term:

"The idea of minimalism is much larger than most people realize. It includes, by definition, any music that works with limited or minimal materials: pieces that use only a few notes, pieces that use only a few words of text, or pieces written for very limited instruments, such as antique cymbals, bicycle wheels, or whisky glasses. It includes pieces that sustain one basic electronic rumble for a long time. It includes pieces made exclusively from recordings of rivers and streams. It includes pieces that move in endless circles. It includes pieces that set up an unmoving wall of saxophone sound. It includes pieces that take a very long time to move gradually from one kind of music to another kind. It includes pieces that permit all possible pitches, as long as they fall between C and D. It includes pieces that slow the tempo down to two or three notes per minute."

I suppose it is all a matter of opinion. I do not claim to be a musical aficionado. I just thought the song was minimalist because of the basic words and sounds that it utilized.

vagrantandused
05-06-2006, 08:45 PM
this song is beautiful, i completely agree

Light Reflections
05-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Yeah, love this song.

Really calming. I love near the middle, when everything drops off except for Maynard's voice, and then Adam comes in with that beautiful riff. Top stuff.

The Official Fiction
05-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Cool song.

Vicarious_Lee
05-07-2006, 11:53 PM
It's kinda boring.

How is it boring? Because it plays for a while without words, because its slower and calmer than the rest? Im kewl with this song, I like it, If its a song I can feel connected to like, Lateralus, or 10,000 Days (wings pt2) I like it, I like long relaxing songs, especially those done by tool. I always feel a desire, to feel the rythm, to feel connected, to feel inspired.

Vicarious_Lee
05-07-2006, 11:55 PM
It's kind of like Disposition Pt 2. Not in its sound, but in it's purpose. As a lead into the next track.

I also agree with this statement.

rogerdoger
05-08-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't think this song is as amazing as most of the album, but it serves very well to lower the energy coming off of Rosetta Stoned for Right In Two.

rogerdoger
05-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Still a good song though.

Dashel
05-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Anyone else get an almost Morrison vibe to the pace of the vocals?

reign3
05-09-2006, 04:25 PM
I find myself listening to this song more than any of the others lately. It's just a really chill, trippy progressive song. I get a kind of Jim Morrison feel from it in the first half; the second half then goes and blows me away. I was kind of unsure about the electronic beats that Danny contributes, but after countless listens, I wouldn't want this song any other way. Great song.

Edit: I didn't read the post above; but yeah, I obviously agree.

Hiredugan
05-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I don't think this song is as amazing as most of the album, but it serves very well to lower the energy coming off of Rosetta Stoned for Right In Two.

Yeah, I gotta say that even though I love the song in singularity I also think that it searves as a great bridge in between RS and Right in Two

Koan
05-13-2006, 07:50 AM
This song is absolutely beatiful. It makes me think of the purity of early man in relation to nature. And to the purity of our spirits and indivudiality. The tones are so soothing, and when the drum sample comes in, it is weird at first but I realise now it is really fitting.

Spaceman Spiff
05-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Not likely to get up to 90 on clogged LA freeways unless I'm running from the cops, but it works while cruising through the Valley here :P

blackandwhite
05-18-2006, 09:15 PM
This song is absolutely beatiful. It makes me think of the purity of early man in relation to nature. And to the purity of our spirits and indivudiality. The tones are so soothing, and when the drum sample comes in, it is weird at first but I realise now it is really fitting.

Very insightful.

zaxius
05-20-2006, 11:41 AM
It's kinda boring.

agreed, i always skip it now.

but maybe i should give it another chance.

Elgyn
05-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Wow. This track is sooooo fucking beautiful. Or Jim Carey style; B-E-A-UTIFUL!.
That's awesome. I only just found out Jim and Danny are brothers..

This song is definitely cool, I like when Tool chill out a bit (ala Disposition) and play a cruisy song. I don't think I could handle a whole album of it, but it works great with Right In Two.

troublefunk
05-25-2006, 04:57 AM
I noticed this song immediately, and was pretty amazed that most people aren't into it. It's got the distant, almost philosophical lyrics like previous Tool that I think I prefer. The bass is a thing of beauty throughout, and the instrumental section in the middle is one of the most beautiful (not to mention completely different from other Tool) sections they've ever done.

And as other people have mentioned, it comes at just the right time. I definitely don't think of it as a segue track, but it does slow things down a bit and balances shit out after the Rosetta Stone schizophrenic clusterfuck. It's got similar content to Right in Two relating to free will, but it's not as direct, more ethereal.

The Dharma Bum
05-25-2006, 09:25 AM
To cite MJK in the Finnish interview:

"If someone cant concentrate on listening to this kinda record, I
apologize but this is where Tool stands now. Cos i love movies like "Apocalypse. Now". It's very easy for me to sit down the whole time and watch it. But if someone is satisfied with Adam Sandler, go ahead. There's a place for everything."
My Family Background is Finn, I would like to read the whole interview (not because I'm Finn, I just thought I would throw that out there) do you have a link?

They are playing Finland the day after my birthday, man that would be a cool way to celebrate.

TOOLEK
05-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah Intension has really beautuful and moving melody, especially the second part. Love it, too.

Volrath
05-25-2006, 01:13 PM
It's a very cool song, but it's just a bit to long if you ask me.

autumnleigh
05-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Lyrically and musically I feel this is Tools' most primal song ever. And they are fucking mad primal on many songs!

Jon08
05-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I suppose you are correct if you define it only in terms of repetition. However, the definition of minimalism can be more broad, depending on one's interpretation. For what it's worth, here is the definition from Tom Johnson, music composer and critic for The Village Voice and the man who claims to have coined the term:

"The idea of minimalism is much larger than most people realize. It includes, by definition, any music that works with limited or minimal materials: pieces that use only a few notes, pieces that use only a few words of text, or pieces written for very limited instruments, such as antique cymbals, bicycle wheels, or whisky glasses. It includes pieces that sustain one basic electronic rumble for a long time. It includes pieces made exclusively from recordings of rivers and streams. It includes pieces that move in endless circles. It includes pieces that set up an unmoving wall of saxophone sound. It includes pieces that take a very long time to move gradually from one kind of music to another kind. It includes pieces that permit all possible pitches, as long as they fall between C and D. It includes pieces that slow the tempo down to two or three notes per minute."

I suppose it is all a matter of opinion. I do not claim to be a musical aficionado. I just thought the song was minimalist because of the basic words and sounds that it utilized.

looks like i got pwnzored. i see what you mean. i never realized this type of music was minimalistic. thank you.

Randall
05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
one of the best song on album imo

The_Flood
05-30-2006, 06:55 PM
It's a great song, but I like Right in Two more. I love the lyrics to Right in Two, probably why I like it more.

thomas.freeman
06-01-2006, 12:29 AM
I JUST LOVE HOW THE LAST CHORD OF THIS SONG FLOWS SO NICELY IN TO RIGHT IN TO ....IT KINDA CLASHES BUT RIGHT IN TWO FEELS LIKE A NEW DAWN BREAKING AFTER INTENSION.......

TOOL ROOL

troublefunk
06-01-2006, 12:41 AM
I IT KINDA CLASHES BUT RIGHT IN TWO FEELS LIKE A NEW DAWN BREAKING AFTER INTENSION.......

Intension... the dark, preternatural night of the soul
Right in Two- back to reality, history... one fuck up after another

Dizmal
06-04-2006, 06:28 PM
The entire album is fantastic, i think.

stevejols
06-05-2006, 11:48 AM
I love the song. Softer than normal tool, maybe. Boring.

How are great music and lyrics boring

Also danny's electronic (is it?) drumming is so fresh for tool i would say this song isnt' boring

that virginti tres or whatever bullshit at the end is boring

Max T.
06-09-2006, 01:59 PM
I love the pushit riff. seriously. it makes the song.

I think I know what part you are referring to. Its the riff right before the electronic drums comes in? If so, I agree, it makes the song. I love that part

Nith Sahor
07-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Anyone else get an almost Morrison vibe to the pace of the vocals?

Yea, now that you mention it... All the more reason why Tool is so awesome :D

mr. nikki jensen
07-14-2006, 03:55 AM
i hope for more Intension-alike work from Tool in the future. the track is so cool.

innerspacegirl
07-18-2006, 01:50 AM
Intension > Right In Two

nah (how do i make the 'or equal to' on a standard keyboard)