PDA

View Full Version : Define: Vicarious

Elbandagji
04-20-2006, 11:36 AM
I am enjoying the speculation on this album... The whole hoax thing is very fun to read and think about. It was brought up that why would Tool put the "real" single Vicarious on the "fake" leak?

Lets look at the definition of Vicarious:

vi·car·i·ous Pronunciation Key (v-kār-s, -kr-, v-)
adj.

1. Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another: read about mountain climbing and experienced vicarious thrills.
2. Endured or done by one person substituting for another: vicarious punishment.
1. Acting or serving in place of someone or something else; substituted.
2. Committed or entrusted to another, as powers or authority; delegated.
4. Physiology. Occurring in or performed by a part of the body not normally associated with a certain function.

Part 3 "1. Acting or serving in place of someone or something else; substituted."

So, is the "leaked" album acting or serving in place of the "real" album? Maybe that is why they put Vicarious on the "leaked" album. To add credibility to it?

Just a thought...

May 2nd we will know.

I like the album, I just think that some of the songs don't necesarrily "fit" together like previous albums.

phylleb
04-20-2006, 12:18 PM
to add to your thought, tool does sing "why don't we just admit it" and "la la la la la la lie" "desire to believe angels in the hearts of men" every tool fan worships tool as being angelic and infalible, maybe that's pushing it

Elbandagji
04-20-2006, 12:40 PM
to add to your thought, tool does sing "why don't we just admit it" and "la la la la la la lie" "desire to believe angels in the hearts of men" every tool fan worships tool as being angelic and infalible, maybe that's pushing it

Maybe not every fan but most worship this way. These are good points.

Lagomorph
04-20-2006, 12:42 PM
plus, instead of thinking of TV screens, maybe think about computer monitors.

Elbandagji
04-20-2006, 12:55 PM
plus, instead of thinking of TV screens, maybe think about computer monitors.

?

mike09
04-20-2006, 01:16 PM
or you know, you could just read the lyrics to the song or even just look at the analyzations on this site already.

Elbandagji
04-20-2006, 01:18 PM
or you know, you could just read the lyrics to the song or even just look at the analyzations on this site already.

WTF? What do you mean? How does this fit into this thread?

mike09
04-20-2006, 01:26 PM
The reason of naming a track Vicarious is being discussed.

Elbandagji
04-20-2006, 01:49 PM
The reason of naming a track Vicarious is being discussed.
Actually no,
The reason of naming the song is not being discussed at all here. The speculation that the song "Vicarious" its self is a cryptic message telling that the album leaked is "Acting or serving in place of" the "real" album is what I am talking about.

Please read before you post.

BTW. The album is totally growing on me. Real or not I like it and will be buying a few copies on may 2nd.

Thanks again Tool

Lagomorph
04-20-2006, 01:53 PM
try the lyrics for rosetta stoned Elbandagji.

i don't mean the shit the bed bit :p

mike09
04-20-2006, 01:53 PM
Actually no,
The reason of naming the song is not being discussed at all here. The speculation that the song "Vicarious" its self is a cryptic message telling that the album leaked is "Acting or serving in place of" the "real" album is what I am talking about.

BTW. The album is totally growing on me. Real or not I like it and will be buying a few copies on may 2nd.

Thanks again Tool

Don't ever talk to me like that again. I did read the post. The reason the song is called Vicarious can be found in the lyrics. It isn't sending some message to their fans that the album is a decoy.

Elbandagji
04-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Don't ever talk to me like that again. I did read the post. The reason the song is called Vicarious can be found in the lyrics. It isn't sending some message to their fans that the album is a decoy.

Again, I am not discussing why the name of the song is "Vicarious". I'm sure the point you are trying to make is valid. I just found it amusing that the first song on an album that is being called a "Decoy" has a definition that can be taken to mean "Acting or serving in place of someone or something else; substituted." in effect "decoy".

That is all. Now you came along and flamed me for no reason other than to add +1 to your post count. Thanks buddy. I don't know you, nor do I really want to. But the "Don't ever talk to me like that again." BS is just that. Why do I need to "ever talk to you like that again"? Who are you buddy? And moreso do I care?
I was polite in asking you to read before you post. Which you claim you did, and still you argue a point that is not being discussed here.

Again I'll ask politely.

mike09
04-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Again, I am not discussing why the name of the song is "Vicarious". I'm sure the point you are trying to make is valid. I just found it amusing that the first song on an album that is being called a "Decoy" has a definition that can be taken to mean "Acting or serving in place of someone or something else; substituted." in effect "decoy".

That is all. Now you came along and flamed me for no reason other than to add +1 to your post count. Thanks buddy. I don't know you, nor do I really want to. But the "Don't ever talk to me like that again." BS is just that. Why do I need to "ever talk to you like that again"? Who are you buddy? And moreso do I care?
I was polite in asking you to read before you post. Which you claim you did, and still you argue a point that is not being discussed here.

Again I'll ask politely.

Right, you are implying that this adds to the decoy theory. Or atleast, thats how im viewing it. So if you are, then you are talking about why the song is named that, for example, as to give a clue about it being a decoy. No?

and posting in the rumor section doesnt add to your post count for...obvious reasons