PDA

View Full Version : the spiral

cold and faded anger
05-23-2005, 07:05 AM
i dont know if its been said but i think that the meaning of this song is to be part of nothing, then become part of something. I mean the "black and white are all i see in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me, lets me see." i think maynard is referring to the band - first he felt like he was nothing but then eventually he felt part of something. black and white is the desire he felt to be part of something. red and yellow are the emotions he got when he then became part of it.

he also describes the black and white desire, later in the in song with "feel the rhythm, etc." (i really like the "step aside and weep like a widow" line). the spiral he sings about is actually being more than you ever thought you could be. for example, the band never meant to get signed and be on tour and make albums. but they did and have influenced some lives.

the "spiral out, keep going" lines are encouraging other people to do the same: to do things you usually wouldnt, various stuff like that. still anyway, great song!

pryingopenmy3rdeye
10-23-2005, 06:09 PM
uh NO!

Foamy
10-24-2005, 02:04 AM
Ive gotta stop coming to the Song Interpritation threads. 99% of them make me cringe.

waffel
11-07-2005, 01:42 AM
i dont know if its been said but i think that the meaning of this song is to be part of nothing, then become part of something. I mean the "black and white are all i see in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me, lets me see." i think maynard is referring to the band - first he felt like he was nothing but then eventually he felt part of something. black and white is the desire he felt to be part of something. red and yellow are the emotions he got when he then became part of it.

he also describes the black and white desire, later in the in song with "feel the rhythm, etc." (i really like the "step aside and weep like a widow" line). the spiral he sings about is actually being more than you ever thought you could be. for example, the band never meant to get signed and be on tour and make albums. but they did and have influenced some lives.

the "spiral out, keep going" lines are encouraging other people to do the same: to do things you usually wouldnt, various stuff like that. still anyway, great song!

Yea....... or not.

fletch
11-07-2005, 02:26 PM
I can agree with the first part of your post "to be nothing and then to become part of something" Though if the second part of your theory is correct that the song is about TOOL itself, I will be thorougly disappointed as I believe that this song represents something of a higher level of thought.

To the other fuckers that did not give your post a thought: don't worry they are snobs who consider themselves elite from the rest of society promoting attitudes that contradict the whole idea of TOOL. Pay them no mind.

Spiritual Release
11-07-2005, 02:51 PM
yeah your first paragraph could be true.