PDA

View Full Version : Masturbation

endlesswater
10-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Okay, my take on this is that it IS a song about masturbation. But I don't feel Maynard is singing to his penis (although that is a fun idea).

I think it is more a sort of dialogue between Maynard and the part of him that is self-sexual. The part we all have.

When you masturbate, are you thinking of yourself doing it, or do you fantasize watching/experiancing someone else's touch, someone you have created to do this for you?

'I know you well. You are a part of me. I know you better than I know myself.'
He is obviously comfortable with this part of him, more comfortable then he would be in a real relationship, because here he has the control.
'You don't judge. You can't speak. You can't leave. You can't hurt me. You're just here for me to use.'

Exactly. That's the purpose of this part of us. To provide a safe release. Self-gratification.

The 'die a little' part refers to orgasm, the sacrifice this part of him must make each time. Often referred to as la petit mort, the little death.

I don't think this goes any deeper then the meaning he has ascribed to it.

But I do think it goes deeper then an ode to his penis :)

Triangular_Vision
10-25-2004, 05:51 PM
ya, good take... it could also be about the etheric body and meditation. i dunnooooo

Undertolerance
11-19-2004, 05:51 AM
I swear to some gods, that I have seen this exact post at least more than once, I should hope that this is some stupid stunt of the same person with multiple screen names fucking repeating the same old shit like a broken record. Because if so then I am most certainly not amused in the slightest. If not then I suppose that the author of this may be unaware of the fact that this very subject has been breached before. Otherwise I would have to disagree with the whole masturbation thing, for the facts that I hace always seen this song as being about two people in a relationship that doesn't work out the way that is to be expected. For this fact two people are around one another so much that they are very much a part of eachother, thus cannot escape the other. "you don't speak, you don't judge..." Simply put is the fact that one cannot pass judgement to the other for they are both guilty of the same things, parts of "me". This element seem to be evident in this song and this is way that I have always seen this song. Then again this my opinion and is based in what I know, have known and seen.

pluto
09-05-2005, 07:02 PM
ild have to go with undertolerance. thats how ive always heard the song as. trying to control someone, even though you cant. but the masturbation idea fits too.

pathological2
09-06-2005, 01:06 PM
I can't believe that the "you" in this song is thought of as another person. I just can't believe it.....

moneyisevil
09-07-2005, 01:32 PM
I can't believe that the "you" in this song is thought of as another person. I just can't believe it.....
exactly...the "you" he is referrring to is himself

pathological2
09-07-2005, 01:53 PM
we are the minority.

pluto
09-07-2005, 02:02 PM
sorry, its so painfully obvious now. but i just related to it differently than you, thats all

Kaliwraith
10-22-2005, 07:49 PM
C'mon. Undertolerance.

We all know that it doesn't matter if he's right. You don't have to flame him for his opinion. I think that's what the song's words have inspired him to consider about himself. that's a major part of what makes listening to lyrics that aren't specific great. [i.e. i wish i could be back together with you], you know, the crap that comes off.. in a way that's not tasteful. it's because you can't apply it to yourself unless you have the same situation going on. it's not philosophical, it's complaining. i suppose that's another tangent, but what i'm trying to say is that i see all these people disagreeing with anger towards eachother instead of reflecting on what he's said.

Unl1v3d
10-25-2005, 04:13 AM
I think that he is refering to a person that he inspired, kinda like a copycat.Still the masturbating theory is a good one, it's funny to hear the music and imagine that lol.

death_2_usa
10-28-2005, 02:26 PM
the first time i heard this song i instantly started giggling... its a love song to his dick

IC
08-24-2006, 08:30 PM
"The approach is an open invitation," says Keenan. "There's a
song on the EP ['92's Opiate], `Part of Me,' specifically written as a
double- edged sword; it could almost be a relationship song - somebody
told me they thought it was about God. Acutally, it was about
masturbation. We like to open it up where someone could insert other
ideas. You'll hear what you want to hear, you'll hear what you need to
hear."
-Maynard 93

so, yeah. kinda nails that one down if no one put that here before..

AMF
08-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Seriously interesting interpretation.

Insanekat
08-28-2006, 04:44 PM
"The approach is an open invitation," says Keenan. "There's a
song on the EP ['92's Opiate], `Part of Me,' specifically written as a
double- edged sword; it could almost be a relationship song - somebody
told me they thought it was about God. Acutally, it was about
masturbation. We like to open it up where someone could insert other
ideas. You'll hear what you want to hear, you'll hear what you need to
hear."
-Maynard 93

so, yeah. kinda nails that one down if no one put that here before..

Is there a link to this or anything?

IC
09-13-2006, 07:49 AM
Is there a link to this or anything?

yes-

http://toolshed.down.net/articles/?action=view-year&id=1995
(Second to last in the 1993 collumn)

and more specificly, (direct link)
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index.php?action=view-article&id=Sometime_1993--Spin__Lollapalooza_Preview.html

IcaLynn
09-13-2006, 08:55 AM
I think that he is refering to a person that he inspired, kinda like a copycat.Still the masturbating theory is a good one, it's funny to hear the music and imagine that lol.

maynard's dick...*drools*

jim39n
10-29-2006, 12:49 AM
the most well put explanation of the masturbation theory i've heard

i think i can buy this one

risesun123
11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Find out why masturbation is harmful for your health and many aspects of your life and what you can do to stop it. Read the only step-by-step program available in the world today and you will succeed in ending the habit of masturbation and start enjoying your life to the fullest. check http://www.stopmasturbating.com/

morethanmusic
11-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Find out why masturbation is harmful for your health and many aspects of your life and what you can do to stop it. Read the only step-by-step program available in the world today and you will succeed in ending the habit of masturbation and start enjoying your life to the fullest. check http://www.stopmasturbating.com/

i read it while masturbating just to prove it wrong... then I went blind. Died. And was sent to hell. All in one fowl tug of the johnston.

mjkajdcjc
11-29-2006, 08:00 PM
i read it while masturbating just to prove it wrong... then I went blind. Died. And was sent to hell. All in one fowl tug of the johnston.

Crazy...

jim39n
11-29-2006, 09:01 PM
http://www.jackinworld.com/

Ghostwriter
06-14-2007, 04:11 PM
You put this disgusting image in my mind of pre-Aenima Maynard with his mullet sitting on the toilet clutching his rod and singing at it with all his heart. Thanks alot... Good interpretation though (I was kidding).

Jay_the_Spider
08-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Boss idea, dude. I can totally dig that. I always saw it as an introspective, but gerkin-jerkin' sounds a lot more fitting. O_o

Malaclypse
05-13-2015, 08:31 AM
i was thinking about this today. i think maybe when he said the song is about masturbation, he wasnt talking so literally. i think its not about the typical self-indulgence part of masturbation, but the perverted nature of it. not that its wrong, just everyone is naturally a little perverted. some people take it too far and some are prudes. a lot of people spend years thinking about who other people are and trying to figure out their personality instead of figuring out and thinking for themselves

i hope this made sense, i only got 3 hrs of sleep last night

edit: and typically, when one engages in the one handed drum solo, you're thinking about someone who probably has no idea you're thinking of them in that way. they cant consent to your imagination, feminists would call this "raping with your mind".

Fartons
04-28-2021, 09:28 AM
I really liked your advice and now I know a lot more, because soon I will have a wedding and it was thanks to one wonderful review of the dating site that this became possible, so I advise everyone to read (https://www.seniordatingsitesfree.com/flirtymature-review/) this review carefully for the best solution to the problem of loneliness.