PDA

View Full Version : Opiate lyrics wrong not "lies now" ever

once
07-21-2004, 12:30 PM
In Opiate Maynard never sings blind me with your lies now. It is supposed to be "Jesus Christ why dont you come save my life now, open my eyes and blind me with your light and lies."
He says "light now" every single time, he never says lies. This song is about the church in any religion distorting the spiritual teachers message (as he has said before). It isnt against Jesus.

Divine_left
07-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Right....

um, what were you trying to prove?

iampete
07-22-2004, 01:57 PM
i disagree

Undertolerance
08-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Yeah I have noticed that he just sorta leaves that part out but I have never thought that is was of dire import. But that's just me so...

Mr Omnipotent
08-12-2004, 03:56 PM
"Jesus Christ why dontcha come save my life now, open my eyes blind me with your light now. Jesus Christ why dontcha come save my life now, open my eyes blind me with your lies now"

yes he does... now go run into oncoming traffic

Divine_left
08-12-2004, 06:24 PM
"Jesus Christ why dontcha come save my life now, open my eyes blind me with your light now. Jesus Christ why dontcha come save my life now, open my eyes blind me with your lies now"

He's right. and you should.

Red Yehti
03-01-2007, 07:40 PM
How does someone get blinded by "lies" as opposed to blinded by "light"?
The word "lies" does not make sense in that sentence, the way the word "light" makes perfect sense.

Divine_left
03-01-2007, 07:54 PM
How does someone get blinded by "lies"

I think it might behoove you to look up the definition of a lie.

tempathy
03-29-2007, 04:37 PM
"lies" being a BLANKET, over you, that would surely blind someone.

you've never heard of someone being blinded by lies? then you open their eyes with truth..it's pretty common

JahMonster
03-30-2007, 07:11 PM
yeah. "blind me with your lies" actually fits perfectly into the song. it's metaphorical. people are blinded by lies, and they don't see the truth.

OGT from back in the day
03-30-2007, 08:33 PM
balls

amze
05-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Its 100% uncut against religion. If you can't see that your blind, this song flat out has one meaning.. Its right there in front of you. Why would he say hes gonna rape you like jesus and make comments that he could be seen as a godly figure and control people just like religion does.

amze
05-04-2007, 04:13 PM
How does someone get blinded by "lies" as opposed to blinded by "light"?
The word "lies" does not make sense in that sentence, the way the word "light" makes perfect sense.

You need to think a lot deeper man. If you don't see how someone could blind you with lies in a metaphorical sense then you need to go jump in traffic

McMAN71
05-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Its 100% uncut against religion. If you can't see that your blind, this song flat out has one meaning.. Its right there in front of you. Why would he say hes gonna rape you like jesus and make comments that he could be seen as a godly figure and control people just like religion does.

I think you got it a bit wrong. I don't believe for a second that Maynard was inferring that Jesus raped anybody. However, I believe that it comes from these psycho fundies that totally misinterpret the word of Christ and use it rape, lie, and control. This really the true beginning of the "Think For Yourself, Question Everything" theme that recures so often in Tool's lyrics. Often maynard refers to the problems with organized religion, and the sad state of those who blindly follow. But he never once denounces God or Christ. Even in the first verse to APC's "Judith", his line is F*** YOUR Lord, YOUR God and YOUR Christ." Meaning to me that he was denouncing an interpretation Jesus that wasn't based on fact (whatever you believe, it is proven that the dude walked the the Earth and was a pretty cool guy). In this song, like "Judith", it's totally out front and in the open. The character knowingling perverts the word of God to control, under the the guise of being your best friend. "Deaf and Blind and dumb and born to follow, lwhat you need is someone strong to guide you, like me."

BTW, in case you are wondering, I am NOT a Born Again Christian. I haven't been to church in over a decade, and do not subscribe to one particular religion.

toolwithapenis
05-13-2007, 07:02 PM
go pastafarianism!!!!
Flying Spaghetti Monster!!!

OGT from back in the day
05-15-2007, 01:09 PM
leroy jenkins

nethandleWompa1
05-21-2007, 01:29 PM

I'm sorry to dispute what anyone is saying but, Maynard is singing "blind me with your light now" the FIRST time, but the next time he says "blind me with your lies now" listen to it again for 10,000th time if you need to, but that is what he says.