PDA

View Full Version : Maynard's Feelings Towards Music

Flying Spasm
05-25-2004, 11:29 AM
The only problem with this idea, is that it doesn't deal at all with that one sequence thing. But hey, it's still an idea. It could be about how Maynard feels about music, and what it means to him. Here, I'll try to explain by the lyrics:

"Black then white are all I see in my infancy. red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me. lets me see." - I think the black and white line is about how he saw life before music came around. Then with the red and yellow, it means he began to see that there were deeper forces in the world.

"As below, so above and beyond, I imagine drawn beyond the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend." - These are almost contrasting lines. At first it's like he's wanting to go beyond what's normal, what's reasonable. But he won't let himself get too far off. So he'll still understand that, for instance, if you push an envelope, it'll still bend.

"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind." - This is pretty much self-explainitory. Like if you look into something more to what meets the eye, then you'll seperate yourself from your body. Almost in a Nirvana of some sort.

"Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines." - Not sure.

"Black then white are all I see in my infancy. red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me. lets me see there is so much more and beckons me to look through to these infinite possibilities." - Almost like the music is speaking to him, telling him there's more to be explored.

"Feed my will to feel this moment urging me to cross the line." - He's really wanting to go farther, and he'll let the music take him there.

"Reaching out to embrace the random. Reaching out to embrace whatever may come." - No one's ever done this before and he's ready to whatever may come.

"I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human." - Quite self-explanitory. He's getting all these feelings from music, like they're just really strong towards him, but he realizes and accepts that he's still human. Or it could also mean that it's amazing that we are able to have these feelings, while we're still only humans.

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin." - Again, self-explanitory. That, with music, this is the feeling he gets. He can feel it inside him and he wants to suck it in.

"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - I don't know. Tool's going where no one's been? --- They've already done that.

Yeah. Make sense to anyone?
And also, with the proposal about the colors, it has been said about human development. Maybe Tool has found that maybe music is the next step in.. I'm not sure.. not really evolution, but finding out something new about humans. Like something new we're capable of.