PDA

View Full Version : 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987

MORNING_GLORY
04-29-2004, 03:44 PM
I just wanted to discuss the "bridge" of Lateralus. The part that goes "I embrace my desire to..." etc. It seems to me that each line of this part flows into one another.
"I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human."
Once you being to actually feel the rhythm, you feel connected to it. I know I can identify with this emotion. This overwhelming feeling of connectedness results in not just crying, but weeping. I think that is a pretty powerful line. This weeping inspires you, which reminds me of lachrymology. You feel inspired, inspired to fathom the power. You fathom the power, to witness the beauty of it. This power is such an amazing source that you can't overlook the beauty of it, but you embrace it.
Now this part is difficult for me to interpret.
You witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain... but what fountain? The first thing to come to mind is fountain of youth, which is possible, but I think it may mean something more. But ultimately, we embrace all these emotions and experiences so that we can swing on the "spiral" to express the divinity within us all. I love the way this line is phrased. "to swing of the spiral of our divinity, and still be a human."
...there goes that connected feeling again.
I'd love to hear some ideas about this fountain. I'd also love to hear some interpretations... someone inspire me.

nathan
05-05-2004, 09:12 AM
i think to fully understand, if even possible, you need to delve further into the song...the next lyrics :

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
between the sounds and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Spiral out. Keep going, going...

so with your feet on the ground, proves your humanity, or lack of divinity, whathaveyou...but being human you still lose yourself in the sound ,heighten all your senses (and open wide to suck it in,I feel it move across my skin) , and reach for divinity...realizing that you are not after reaching so intensely makes you weep, and now you start the spiral over again (weeping, fathoming, etc etc)...so after all that, i would conclude that the bathing in the fountain would be the culmination of all the feelings washing over you...bathing is a personal act though, just like feeling all of the emotions, just as weeping is...bathing yourself in the emotions of divinity ... i could go on with this, because the first half of the song is negated from this post, but someone should take a stab at that.

slave2addictions
05-05-2004, 10:26 AM
This very well could be a fountain of emotions. All these strong feelings spew out and it is always a good idea to bask in the glory of enriching emotions

thundergod
07-26-2004, 12:24 AM
This very well could be a fountain of emotions. All these strong feelings spew out and it is always a good idea to bask in the glory of enriching emotions

i agree

also lateralus brings out emotions i call lateralimotions, or the chills

Lackymacky
07-26-2004, 07:53 PM
i agree with you nathan, i think its about proving your humanity..its need to be connected to feel everything to not be a lifeless little rock sitting. to bathe to step aside and weep to hear the sounds to embrace any desire you have, to see colors, black white red yellow, to be human. you can then do what you want "following our will and wind" and if even if you are still human if you are connected enough with yourself and your mind and what is around you..you "may just go where no one's been"

and the spiral and the sequence go hand in hand ^_^

thundergod
07-28-2004, 02:42 PM
also id like to add that during the chours the beat changes, it goes, 123456789(overthinking over) 12345678(overanalyizing) 1234567 (blah blah blah)