PDA

View Full Version : Wild Thoughts

Spyralspyder
03-13-2004, 10:19 AM
I think sweat is about trying to recall a feeling.

Hunters, and Fishermen would get it.

It's about going back to our roots, and feeling vaugely dissociated with them as we live out the 9 to 5 in our industrial/agricultural society.

You get into that quiet zone outdoors and let your mind wander.

Thats just my thought; but it seems crystal clear to me when I read the lyrics, and listen to the song. Everyone I feel could do with going out and killing something for food ..........even if it's a plant I guess.

AllforUnity
03-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Well it seems to me like it's trying to recall something too...that's why he says "Seems like l've been here before...seems so familiar...seems like l'm slipping into a dream within a dream."

Actually that last part is kind of taken from Poe.

Luna Galapogos
03-17-2004, 04:53 PM
A dream within a dream, could that be de javu inside of a dream perhaps. Maybe he is trying to remember something that happened earlier in his dream, even if he is still dreaming. Maybe he considers this life to be a dream, and he is trying to remember what it was like to be innocent, to do what was necessary to survive and not rely on making decisions between "good" and "evil" like the hunter and the fisher.

AllforUnity
03-18-2004, 04:21 PM
For the last time people...a dream within a dream is a poem by Edgar Allen Poe...you want to read it, go for it.

Luna Galapogos
03-19-2004, 09:47 AM
For the last time people...a dream within a dream is a poem by Edgar Allen Poe...you want to read it, go for it.

Just because he wrote a poem called that, that doesn't mean that that is what is being talked about here. How many songs have been entitled "Loser?" And I doubt that one of these is based on any of the others. Poe wrote it, but Maynard may not have even considered that.

AllforUnity
03-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Well you see l think Maynard put that as a referrence for a specific reason...a reason unknown to me, now. But l'll figure it out soon.

Spyralspyder
03-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Well you see l think Maynard put that as a referrence for a specific reason...a reason unknown to me, now. But l'll figure it out soon.

I still like my answer caus' it is the song taken litarally

AllforUnity
03-25-2004, 07:36 AM
What do you think about it?

Undertolerance
03-29-2004, 05:31 PM
I feel that this song is about some sort of reacurring dream that doesn't always go the same way but entails the same things. I have personally had dreams like this and it does feel like your swimming. It most certainly racks your brian to struggle to get all the details to be the same, yet never seems to work out. The feeling of change is inherrent when you read the lyrics, they cover the same topic the whole way through, then bam! He becomes the hunter and the fisherman. I can see this too as getting back to something a bit more primal as well. Mayhaps within a dream.

AllforUnity
03-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Well that's an interesting thought, although l would have to disagree. l think this song is simply about being in a situation you've been in before. He gets dizzy and tries to remember because he didn't like that feeling, or situation, and he wants to get out of it, so he's trying to recall the first time and how he got over it. When he says "The sun is burning hot again on the hunter and the fisherman." l think he's talking about himself the entire time, just in 3rd person.

seppukujack
04-03-2004, 09:17 PM
Trying to remember that passion that you lost?
From a lost love... reminiscing with a hint of melancholy on the good times?

AllforUnity
04-06-2004, 12:03 PM
l'm not sure...the only reason you would ever remember, or want to remember something like that is if you're lonely.

Undertolerance
04-12-2004, 04:25 PM
All thoughts are valid and hold true each one of you, and I appreciate you sharing them. =) But as I have said before in some other posts I think in pictures and little movies(if you will) so things tend to be much more vivid to me. Hence the reason that I like Tool so much, the spark that fir in me with every song!

AllforUnity
04-14-2004, 12:00 PM
l do the same actually. Whenever l try to remember an event, l play it back in my head like a movie.

clown137
05-07-2004, 02:08 PM
I think it could be about just doing the same thing over and over and over again, cuz thats what hunters and fishermen do, the same thing over and over. It sounds like hes getting sick of it to

Undertolerance
05-17-2004, 09:38 AM
Manotiny, ah everyone has been there! Job, school, life, what have you anything can become this way. But I still feel that that is not a deep enough meaning to the song, to me that seems to just skim the surface and not dive into it. Which what I love to do! Interesting thought though, never looked at it like that.

Mr Omnipotent
06-16-2004, 03:47 PM
to me sweat makes me think of beaches... and sand, and people working then looking up to the very hot gleaming sun. <_< >_>

berkough
06-28-2004, 07:00 AM
Well if you look at the title of the album... Opiate, I mean it's about religion as suppression. It gets old, and it's the same shit over and over again. Much like what a hunter and a fisherman do. Often times such simple and primal acts are instinctual. People go to church not because they want to, but because they've done it out of habit and feel that if they don't, then something is wrong.

Though if anyone has any insight as to why he says "I'm a thinker and a fisherman" the second time, that'd be great.

Agent_Of_Chaos
07-13-2004, 08:53 PM
These are all good ideas, but Sweat was actually supposed to be called "Sweet". There was a misprint on the CD, and with the word sweat itself in the lyrics, people just assumed it was called "Sweat". Sync the Opiate EP to the movie "CHarlie and the Chocolate Factory" and you'll realize why its called "Sweet".

Mr Omnipotent
07-13-2004, 10:01 PM
dude no offense but what the hell are you talking about...

Undertolerance
08-08-2004, 03:54 PM
I think that he says the second time that he is the hunter and the fisherman because he too has fallen pray to the whole monatiny of it all. Then he cannot get out. And what are you talking about it supposed to be called "Sweet" although by all rules of english grammar the word 'Sweat' should be pronounced 'Sweet' but that is this crazy ass language for ya. Think about it 'eat' (eet)... with 'Sw' attached.

AllforUnity
09-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Read past posts.