PDA

View Full Version : L_a T_e R_a L_u_s

MushroomStamp
12-19-2002, 06:50 AM
Anyone ever figure out what the division, spacing, and decent of the title on the album cover is supposed to signify?

L_A T_E R_A L_U_S

Chuckhawk
12-20-2002, 07:42 PM
Upon reading this post I decided to take a look for myself.

Consider the track numbers of lateralus and the spacing of the letters on the cover:

12 34 56 789
La te ra lus

The gaps are between songs that flow together, but D/R/T is seperate from it. I see D/R/T as I see Ænima from Track 11-15. It seems better than what came before it, as does D/R/T to the rest of lateralus.

There are 9 eyes on the cover as well.

Give me a break, I'm bored.

Have any of you seen Pi?

Paraguay
12-28-2002, 06:17 AM
This may be pointing out the obvious,
but the each 'part' of the cover font of "Lateralus" is one syllable "LA" "TE" "RA" "LUS".

evilentity
01-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Here are the things that I get out of the album title as displayed on the cd cover itself.

First of all, the name could potentially be thought of as referring to muscles (lateralis muscles or the lateral cord) or could be "lateral-us", "latter-Alice", or "ladder-Alice." (Somehow I'm sure this statement will result in comments about Lewis Carroll or Layne Staley....)

Lateralis, the pseudo-title track, is spelled differently than the album (on my version anyway) although supposedly its not supposed to be. I'm suspicious given the whole Aenema/Aenima thing...

Anyway, Paraguay makes a nice point.

Originally posted by Paraguay
This may be pointing out the obvious,
but the each 'part' of the cover font of "Lateralus" is one syllable "LA" "TE" "RA" "LUS".

Word itself has 9 letters and there are nine eyes on the outer casing, perhaps all pointing to the 9th track, Lateralis (aka 987) and perhaps suggesting that we look at it on a syllable-by-syllable basis, which of course leads to the intriguing Fibonacci spiral in the song.

GregoryWohlwend
02-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Well i think that the L symbolizes the light in which everything is seen, therefore exists on another level of sense

The lowercase a represents ambiquity which plays off of light in the sense that it shines on anything regardless of position or make-up.

The uppercase T represents the cross on which the ego must be crucified to understand these truths

The e signifies eternal time and the balance in which it exists due to it lowercase-ness

The R embodies the reflection in which light is turned toward it source just as one must do with his mind

The a represents anticipation which gives way to foresight, the curse of man

The L waves another flag of Litigation on the existence which we find so confusing

The u and s represent the "USA" which are not capitalized and are therefore no longer capitalist.

OR...

Maybe it just came out like that, and instead of having a few pixels get in the way of other thoughts, they created something quite beatiful. Their music. You should try it, creating or thinking of something "beatiful", perhaps it will take you to other places.

p.s. everyone is doing it these days

TailOfDogma
02-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Chuckhawk

Have any of you seen Pi?

I rented that movie this weekend, and I think its fair to say that it was THE most f'ed up movie I've seen in my life. And I've seen a lot of f'ed up movies. The concept is totally awesome, using spirals and the golden ratio to determine the future of the stock market and...other things (I don't want to give it away).

Also, I've often thought the 9 eyes represented Lateralis, but never actually found anyone else who made that connection without me sharing it with them. Thanks.

CrazyJoeDevola
02-06-2003, 01:19 PM
Someone today was just telling me about that movie. I think I'm going to have to see it.