PDA

View Full Version : Caligula would grin?

Naga Royal Guard
09-22-2019, 07:40 AM
For anyone one who saw/read I, Claudius.,Caligula portrayed as one sick Emperor.

Next line : Beating Tired Bones?

Sounds like Tool has a different idea of "remaining relevant".

And this final line : "Ponce de Leon". This is street in downtown Atlanta, heavy traffic here means its rather hard to drive fast and chase anyone down, yet our heroes are here classing something.....

Inner_Eulogy
09-22-2019, 08:50 AM
For anyone one who saw/read I, Claudius.,Caligula portrayed as one sick Emperor.

Next line : Beating Tired Bones?

Sounds like Tool has a different idea of "remaining relevant".

And this final line : "Ponce de Leon". This is street in downtown Atlanta, heavy traffic here means its rather hard to drive fast and chase anyone down, yet our heroes are here classing something.....Caligula was a war general known for being greedy and a tyrant. He is simply saying that Caligula would grin at seeing the many spoils of war (being in the band and all that comes with it), but he's getting older now and it's hard to see things the same way and hard to keep going, hence beating tired bones. It's pretty straight forward actually. No need to be digging off to the side of the rabbit hole that goes nowhere.

Naga Royal Guard
09-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Plenty of emperors and historical figures were known for greed and tyranny. But why, specifically, Caligula? Caligula, by his time with Tiberius on the Isle of Capri was known for being debaucherous to an extreme. That's a contemporary view of him and Tool chose the name drop. Tool may yet be a band of horny old men "beating tired bones".

gonzo
09-22-2019, 11:18 AM
age-old battle

chasing past victories

i don't want to think about it much more than that.

Naga Royal Guard
09-22-2019, 12:27 PM
age-old battle

chasing past victories

i don't want to think about it much more than that.

It really isnt, but referencing Caligula is worth of some discussion if event to resurrect the memory of an emperor possibly deeply hated by his people for his perverted ways or just by historians.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/caligula-1980

Oculus
09-22-2019, 01:35 PM
Caligula wasn’t a perverted tyrant for zero reasons. He was forced to live in the household of Tiberias, who was rumored to have poisoned Caligula’s father (Germanicus). When Caligula‘s mother openly voiced this accusation, Tiberius put her on an island and left her to starve to death.

Those are some serious hangups for a little kid who grows up in someone’s house, and is expected to be respectful to a ruthless emperor who murdered most of his family.

Anyone who can’t see the parallels between Caligula’s situation and Keenan’s growing up can simply look at the cover for the single Tool put out for Prison Sex. A person who uses stinkfisting as a metaphor for overstimulation doesn’t do so in a vacuum. The reference to Caligula grinning is a grim acknowledgement of personal trauma.

Oculus
09-22-2019, 01:39 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biography.com/.amp/political-figure/caligula

Naga Royal Guard
09-22-2019, 01:39 PM
Caligula wasn’t a perverted tyrant for zero reasons. He was forced to live in the household of Tiberias, who was rumored to have poisoned Caligula’s father (Germanicus). When Caligula‘s mother openly voiced this accusation, Tiberius put her on an island and left her to starve to death.

Those are some serious hangups for a little kid who grows up in someone’s house, and is expected to be respectful to a ruthless emperor who murdered most of his family.

Anyone who can’t see the parallels between Caligula’s situation and Keenan’s growing up can simply look at the cover for the single Tool put out for Prison Sex. A person who uses stinkfisting as a metaphor for overstimulation doesn’t do so in a vacuum. The reference to Caligula grinning is a grim acknowledgement of personal trauma.

Now we are spiraling out AND pushing the envelope!

Oculus
09-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Ponce de Leon was a conquistador:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Ponce_de_León

Naga Royal Guard
09-22-2019, 01:42 PM
Ponce de Leon was a conquistador:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Ponce_de_León

Yes but also a busy road.

Oculus
09-22-2019, 01:59 PM
Yes but also a busy road.

It’s possible. We’d have to know the history of that road and it’s meaning in Atlanta a little bit more to see if it has “phantoms”.

Naga Royal Guard
09-22-2019, 02:01 PM
I walked down it one night and certainly did not feel fully safe. Phantoms indeed.

UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees
09-22-2019, 03:00 PM
And this final line : "Ponce de Leon". This is street in downtown Atlanta, heavy traffic here means its rather hard to drive fast and chase anyone down, yet our heroes are here classing something.....

I'm definitely ignorant to Atlanta's politics beyond a few absolutely admirable sculptures.

Naga Royal Guard
09-22-2019, 03:58 PM
The most exciting thing about Atlanta was it's razing during the American Civil War. These days, the best thing about it is the airport.

UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees
09-22-2019, 04:27 PM
The most exciting thing about Atlanta was it's razing during the American Civil War. These days, the best thing about it is the airport.

I can't remember what it looks like. Why do you like the airport?

Naga Royal Guard
09-22-2019, 06:02 PM
It has a PF Chang's and lots of direct flights

Pyrrho
09-23-2019, 11:08 PM
The pitchfork review singled out this line and said it was inappropriate given the accusations against MJK. The line stood out to me too since Caligula is remembered for being sexually depraved.

lotus.
09-24-2019, 06:18 AM
The pitchfork review singled out this line and said it was inappropriate given the accusations against MJK. The line stood out to me too since Caligula is remembered for being sexually depraved.

It was just a bullshit accusation. So, I don't see how it's inappropriate.

UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees
09-24-2019, 06:52 AM
Celebrity Death Match. Maynard James Keenan squares off against Jeremy D. Larson. Who wins?

Oculus
09-24-2019, 07:02 AM

Who accused him?

If you can name this person, then we have a legitimate accusation. If not, then we are dealing with Legoland-level pretend. I'm not surprised to see Pitchfork jump on that wagon.

MJK is not only a sexual assault survivor, he has also been actively giving his time, talents, and money to foundations like RAINN that help other sexual assault survivors.

Naga Royal Guard
09-24-2019, 04:00 PM

And pitchfork is owned by Conde Nast making them RichDork media.

Gawd that website is awful.

The Embryo 2
10-03-2019, 10:47 PM
I think it's a sly nod to the Smith's (Morrissey penned) lyrics.

In my life
Oh, why do I give valuable time
To people who don't care if I live or die ?

What she asked of me t the end of the day
Caligula would have blushed.

gonzo
10-04-2019, 09:27 AM
It is also a link to Jambi's "Feast Like a Sultan I do".

I felt like I heard a little of Jambi in Invincible.

7oolband
10-04-2019, 10:19 AM
It was just a bullshit accusation. So, I don't see how it's inappropriate.

thank you. why do they keep giving credence to someone who obviously was not seeking to gain anything? they would have been more open if they really wanted justice to be served. it is another unfortunate symptom of the universe. so much so that we cannot even learn to swim through these disembodied voices without someone pointing their psychopathy at us. fuck you buddy

7oolband
10-04-2019, 10:23 AM
Who accused him?

If you can name this person, then we have a legitimate accusation. If not, then we are dealing with Legoland-level pretend. I'm not surprised to see Pitchfork jump on that wagon.

MJK is not only a sexual assault survivor, he has also been actively giving his time, talents, and money to foundations like RAINN that help other sexual assault survivors.

this trend started recently, 2016 to be exact. zero evidence and a litanie of accusations. i think u know who i am talking about.

gonzo
10-04-2019, 10:25 AM
so like Pee Wee Herman...

7oolband
10-04-2019, 10:35 AM
so like Pee Wee Herman...

yeah except in 2019 we aren't talking about a slip of a whip but having a finger on the nuclear button. besides that its the same thing.

lotus.
10-04-2019, 10:37 AM
*Weapon out and belly in*

UlyssEEEeeeEEEeees
10-04-2019, 06:18 PM
I think it's a sly nod to the Smith's (Morrissey penned) lyrics.

In my life
Oh, why do I give valuable time
To people who don't care if I live or die ?

What she asked of me t the end of the day
Caligula would have blushed.

Dude, nice

It is also a link to Jambi's "Feast Like a Sultan I do".

*inconspicuously motions toward my thread about the truth never getting in the way before now*