Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
bullettooth
06-08-2006, 06:22 PM

http://blogs.smh.com.au/thedailytrut...tool_time.html

Several months ago, I was asked if I'd like to interview LA rock band Tool, for the release of the new album, 10,000 Days. I said I would. But when I asked the record company for a CD so that I could at least know what I was talking about, they said there were no CDs to be distributed, as the album was still unreleased and the band were very strict about who should hear it. I was told I would have to attend a 'listening party' and, despite this being a good deal less convenient from my point of view, I agreed to go. Once at the chosen venue, on a rainy mid-week night in Oxford Street, Sydney, I was halted and told that a condition of entry was that I surrender my mobile phone and sign a confidentiality agreement. This, I was told, was at the insistence of the band.

I hate confidentiality agreements and I've never signed one in my life, but I'd taken a cab halfway across town and I figured I'd better make the evening pay. So I signed this piece of paper that effectively said I wasn't allowed to talk about Tool to my wife without the band's prior permission, handed over my mobile phone and prayed that my family would not need me for anything over the next hour or so.

At the entrance to the listening room, I was frisked by The Hulk and The Thing - extra security employed, no doubt, to foil that evil genius who was planning to surreptitiously record Tool's album then take over the world.

Once inside, we all sat around and listened. 10,000 Days sounded like Tool alright, which sounds to me like Metallica. I'd heard enough after a few songs but, out of courtesy to those present who cared (and also because something told me those gorillas at the door would not let me leave), I hung around to the end.

The next day I was informed that my interview had been cancelled. The guys had decided they just didn't want to do it, for reasons unknown. Being that I'd signed a contract saying I would not whisper Tool on the wind, I now had no useful story about Tool's new album that I could write.

The girl at the record company apologized, quite genuinely, and said she'd be rescheduling interviews soon and would let me know. By way of compensation, she asked whether I might like to interview Barry Manilow instead, as she had a spot for the following morning, the same time that I was to have interviewed Tool. I agreed, wondering for one foolish moment whether my questions for Tool could be asked of Barry Manilow without arousing the great man's suspicion that he'd been a booby prize.

Weeks passed before I called the girl at the record company, asking if she had any good news for me. She said she had no such thing. In fact, the news was very bad - someone had leaked the album to the world and Tool were very, very angry. They had cancelled all press in response. The entire episode, it seemed, was over, my time and money - small amounts, for sure, but nonetheless my time and my money - wasted.

Last night, the girl from the record company called me in an excitable mood: Tool were up for an interview. It had been so long since they'd occupied my mind that it took a few moments before I knew what she was talking about. She said I could speak to them by phone tomorrow morning...at 6.30am. She said this was necessary due to the "time difference" - the same time difference, I thought, of which everyone in the world is aware.

Reluctantly I agreed, set my clock for the ungodly hour and hit the sack at midnight, wishing I hadn't said yes.

My alarm rang to wake me into the dead of morning and, after making a cup of coffee, I sat and waited. Then I heard my mobile phone go "beep" - someone was sending me a message. It was the girl from the record company. 'Twas a pity I'd gotten up so early, she wrote, but Tool had decided to reschedule the interview for later...

This is the sound of Tool ringing my telephone at 7.40am this morning.

Someone ought to tell these guys they're not The Beatles, but it's clearly not going to be me.
Jack Marx
June 9, 2006 07:43 AM
Old 06-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
TOOL cops a bagging in Australia

Several months ago, I was asked if I'd like to interview LA rock band Tool, for the release of the new album, 10,000 Days. I said I would. But when I asked the record company for a CD so that I could at least know what I was talking about, they said there were no CDs to be distributed, as the album was still unreleased and the band were very strict about who should hear it. I was told I would have to attend a 'listening party' and, despite this being a good deal less convenient from my point of view, I agreed to go. Once at the chosen venue, on a rainy mid-week night in Oxford Street, Sydney, I was halted and told that a condition of entry was that I surrender my mobile phone and sign a confidentiality agreement. This, I was told, was at the insistence of the band.

I hate confidentiality agreements and I've never signed one in my life, but I'd taken a cab halfway across town and I figured I'd better make the evening pay. So I signed this piece of paper that effectively said I wasn't allowed to talk about Tool to my wife without the band's prior permission, handed over my mobile phone and prayed that my family would not need me for anything over the next hour or so.

At the entrance to the listening room, I was frisked by The Hulk and The Thing - extra security employed, no doubt, to foil that evil genius who was planning to surreptitiously record Tool's album then take over the world.

Once inside, we all sat around and listened. 10,000 Days sounded like Tool alright, which sounds to me like Metallica. I'd heard enough after a few songs but, out of courtesy to those present who cared (and also because something told me those gorillas at the door would not let me leave), I hung around to the end.

The next day I was informed that my interview had been cancelled. The guys had decided they just didn't want to do it, for reasons unknown. Being that I'd signed a contract saying I would not whisper Tool on the wind, I now had no useful story about Tool's new album that I could write.

The girl at the record company apologized, quite genuinely, and said she'd be rescheduling interviews soon and would let me know. By way of compensation, she asked whether I might like to interview Barry Manilow instead, as she had a spot for the following morning, the same time that I was to have interviewed Tool. I agreed, wondering for one foolish moment whether my questions for Tool could be asked of Barry Manilow without arousing the great man's suspicion that he'd been a booby prize.

Weeks passed before I called the girl at the record company, asking if she had any good news for me. She said she had no such thing. In fact, the news was very bad - someone had leaked the album to the world and Tool were very, very angry. They had cancelled all press in response. The entire episode, it seemed, was over, my time and money - small amounts, for sure, but nonetheless my time and my money - wasted.

Last night, the girl from the record company called me in an excitable mood: Tool were up for an interview. It had been so long since they'd occupied my mind that it took a few moments before I knew what she was talking about. She said I could speak to them by phone tomorrow morning...at 6.30am. She said this was necessary due to the "time difference" - the same time difference, I thought, of which everyone in the world is aware.

Reluctantly I agreed, set my clock for the ungodly hour and hit the sack at midnight, wishing I hadn't said yes.

My alarm rang to wake me into the dead of morning and, after making a cup of coffee, I sat and waited. Then I heard my mobile phone go "beep" - someone was sending me a message. It was the girl from the record company. 'Twas a pity I'd gotten up so early, she wrote, but Tool had decided to reschedule the interview for later...

This is the sound of Tool ringing my telephone at 7.40am this morning.

Someone ought to tell these guys they're not The Beatles, but it's clearly not going to be me.
Jack Marx
June 9, 2006 07:43 AM
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Boozy Eulogist's Avatar Boozy Eulogist
06-08-2006, 06:26 PM

Bwahahaha that was a fun one.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 52
Re: TOOL cops a bagging in Australia

Bwahahaha that was a fun one.
PriceisRight's Avatar PriceisRight
06-08-2006, 06:34 PM

I feel for this guy. Saying ok and then deciding to blow it off is beat up.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I feel for this guy. Saying ok and then deciding to blow it off is beat up.
06-08-2006, 06:44 PM

Eh, they could probably tell he wasn't a fan. Metallica!?!?!?!? Puhlease!!!!!

"This agression will not stand, man. "
Old 06-08-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

maneva
06-08-2006, 06:53 PM

the writer's making way too big of a deal out of this, especially about not being able to bring in his cell phone.

decent writer though.

and yeah, the metallica comment was terrible.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 4

the writer's making way too big of a deal out of this, especially about not being able to bring in his cell phone.

decent writer though.

and yeah, the metallica comment was terrible.
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
06-08-2006, 07:06 PM

6:30 a.m.? Poor baby. I have no sympathy for that. I'm sure Maynard, the West Pointer that he is, would have no sympathy either. I do think it's discourteous though, at any time. Nonetheless, I would imagine it's that way with many rock stars and other public figures. I would think you would be, or at least would get, used to it.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
Prana

Bincount™: 8

6:30 a.m.? Poor baby. I have no sympathy for that. I'm sure Maynard, the West Pointer that he is, would have no sympathy either. I do think it's discourteous though, at any time. Nonetheless, I would imagine it's that way with many rock stars and other public figures. I would think you would be, or at least would get, used to it.
06-08-2006, 07:06 PM

"Whoah dude, they killed Killer!"

Old 06-08-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

"Whoah dude, they killed Killer!"

Jebussaves's Avatar Jebussaves
06-08-2006, 07:08 PM

Its hard ot say this but Tool is trying to burn out. They are releasing shit to make money so they have the cash to quit. That is why they keep releasing these half ass projects.

Danny not included in any of teh above statements of course. But Maynards pitched corrected vocals to Adams misfit solos, they have slipped and now let the flaming begin.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Its hard ot say this but Tool is trying to burn out. They are releasing shit to make money so they have the cash to quit. That is why they keep releasing these half ass projects.

Danny not included in any of teh above statements of course. But Maynards pitched corrected vocals to Adams misfit solos, they have slipped and now let the flaming begin.
ktrip
06-08-2006, 07:42 PM

who cares. let em. any one of their albums is good enough for me, the fact that they've provided 4-6 [salival and opiate?] albums of such quality, im not gonna be angry if they want to leave. give em a break man.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

who cares. let em. any one of their albums is good enough for me, the fact that they've provided 4-6 [salival and opiate?] albums of such quality, im not gonna be angry if they want to leave. give em a break man.
guitarpete987
06-08-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebussaves

I'm REALLY getting sick of hearing this phrase. Why does this need announcing? Sigh.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebussaves

I'm REALLY getting sick of hearing this phrase. Why does this need announcing? Sigh.
new dimension_disposition's Avatar new dimension_disposition
06-08-2006, 08:08 PM

the more i learn abour TOOL the more i dislike them. they are such assholes. i agree with the author, someone please tell them they ain't the beetles.

oh, we are not about the money, we are about the music, the art, the passion for what we do--fuck you TOOL. if it was not about the money they would have not gotten pissed when 10,000 days got leaked, nor would they have gone to extreme measures for it not to get leaked.

i will continue to listen to the music, cause i think it's great, but i'm gonna go out of my way not to read another interview----especially if it's with MJK. he makes me wanna shoot myself for helping him set up his stupid wine factory. i will only download their next CD (for free).

Last edited by new dimension_disposition; 06-08-2006 at 08:19 PM..
Old 06-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #11

Bincount™: 1

the more i learn abour TOOL the more i dislike them. they are such assholes. i agree with the author, someone please tell them they ain't the beetles.

oh, we are not about the money, we are about the music, the art, the passion for what we do--fuck you TOOL. if it was not about the money they would have not gotten pissed when 10,000 days got leaked, nor would they have gone to extreme measures for it not to get leaked.

i will continue to listen to the music, cause i think it's great, but i'm gonna go out of my way not to read another interview----especially if it's with MJK. he makes me wanna shoot myself for helping him set up his stupid wine factory. i will only download their next CD (for free).

Last edited by new dimension_disposition; 06-08-2006 at 08:19 PM..
Mr Silver's Avatar Mr Silver
06-08-2006, 08:41 PM

Please change thread title to "TOOL cops bagging by Australian journalist"

Thank you.

Eat snacky smores
Old 06-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #12
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 6041

Please change thread title to "TOOL cops bagging by Australian journalist"

Thank you.

Eat snacky smores
gerbil's Avatar gerbil
06-08-2006, 08:55 PM

OMG, lyke, t00l isnt whut i wnated them 2 be so im all disappionted

You don't think the members of Tool have enough money to quit without making 10,000 Days? You don't realize that they've got royalties trickling in from everywhere?

You think they'd go out of their way to make new material -- which is never easy -- instead of just releasing a live DVD and a bunch of remix albums? Also, if you think that 3/4 of Tool has sold out, but one member is holding on by his moral values, don't you think he'd have the guts to leave the band instead of seeing what he loves ruined?

This guy had no idea who Tool was, and no idea what was going to happen. I'm irritated by the band's attitude toward the leaks, but I respect it. As artists, they have a right to control their art until the inevitable point where it gets out. If they want to transport it rectally or keep the master copy on a space ship until it gets released, let them. Who cares? Only those who are too impatient and greedy to wait for a legit release.

Furthermore, don't think you know these people from random snippets of interviews generated over years and years. I'm sure they have good days and bad days. And I'm sure they all get cranky. Maynard has made no secret of his dislike for journalists. Interviews can literally be hours long, only to be condensed into a few sentences and a few soundbytes at the end of the day.

If I sound defensive, it's because I am. Not out of some fanboy love for Tool, but out of respect for the people that are a part of it. They all have their own lives, and the whiny punks on here -- the majority of which will spend most of their lives blitzed in their parents' basement -- have the gall to criticize the choices the band makes.

Like all human beings, the members of Tool will change with age. They'll explore new areas and return to some areas to see if they missed anything. Maynard may not scream as much -- he's older and seems much more relaxed than he did in the Undertow days. Danny may have let his drums be moved deeper into the mix -- maybe he wanted to let the drums compliment the music, instead of dominating it. Justin and Adam may want to play more solos or longer, more esoteric segments. It's all part of life.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 96

You don't think the members of Tool have enough money to quit without making 10,000 Days? You don't realize that they've got royalties trickling in from everywhere?

You think they'd go out of their way to make new material -- which is never easy -- instead of just releasing a live DVD and a bunch of remix albums? Also, if you think that 3/4 of Tool has sold out, but one member is holding on by his moral values, don't you think he'd have the guts to leave the band instead of seeing what he loves ruined?

This guy had no idea who Tool was, and no idea what was going to happen. I'm irritated by the band's attitude toward the leaks, but I respect it. As artists, they have a right to control their art until the inevitable point where it gets out. If they want to transport it rectally or keep the master copy on a space ship until it gets released, let them. Who cares? Only those who are too impatient and greedy to wait for a legit release.

Furthermore, don't think you know these people from random snippets of interviews generated over years and years. I'm sure they have good days and bad days. And I'm sure they all get cranky. Maynard has made no secret of his dislike for journalists. Interviews can literally be hours long, only to be condensed into a few sentences and a few soundbytes at the end of the day.

If I sound defensive, it's because I am. Not out of some fanboy love for Tool, but out of respect for the people that are a part of it. They all have their own lives, and the whiny punks on here -- the majority of which will spend most of their lives blitzed in their parents' basement -- have the gall to criticize the choices the band makes.

Like all human beings, the members of Tool will change with age. They'll explore new areas and return to some areas to see if they missed anything. Maynard may not scream as much -- he's older and seems much more relaxed than he did in the Undertow days. Danny may have let his drums be moved deeper into the mix -- maybe he wanted to let the drums compliment the music, instead of dominating it. Justin and Adam may want to play more solos or longer, more esoteric segments. It's all part of life.
JOK3R
06-08-2006, 09:00 PM

^^agreed

all i have to say is LOL

Last edited by JOK3R; 06-08-2006 at 09:03 PM..
Old 06-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #14
On Probation

Bincount™: 2

^^agreed

all i have to say is LOL

Last edited by JOK3R; 06-08-2006 at 09:03 PM..
Mr Silver's Avatar Mr Silver
06-08-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbil

I was just about to quit this forum in disgust until I came across this post.

Nice work.

As long as people treat TOOL as some kind of drug and wrap themselves up in a bubble world of their own making and then get frustrated when certain TOOL members may or may not be construed as behaving in a certain way that is not conducive to the image that mr/miss fanboy/girl has in their heads this crap will continue...

GROW UP

GET LIVES

MOVE ON

in regards to the interview - in fact all interviews; they are always going to be subjective. End of story. Why do you think TOOL hates them? What they wanted to say was on the album...the rest is marketing bullshit.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #15
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 6041

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbil

I was just about to quit this forum in disgust until I came across this post.

Nice work.

As long as people treat TOOL as some kind of drug and wrap themselves up in a bubble world of their own making and then get frustrated when certain TOOL members may or may not be construed as behaving in a certain way that is not conducive to the image that mr/miss fanboy/girl has in their heads this crap will continue...

GROW UP

GET LIVES

MOVE ON

in regards to the interview - in fact all interviews; they are always going to be subjective. End of story. Why do you think TOOL hates them? What they wanted to say was on the album...the rest is marketing bullshit.
Dolophane's Avatar Dolophane
06-08-2006, 09:23 PM

He's a music journalist. I'm glad he was so inconvenienced by the band.

"I was told I would have to attend a 'listening party' and, despite this being a good deal less convenient from my point of view, I agreed to go."

From this point on, I knew that I would be reading the experiences of a crybaby. And whining about getting up at the "ungodly hour" of 6 AM? You can tell this guy has been a music journalist way too long by these two statements alone.
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
Old 06-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 95

"I was told I would have to attend a 'listening party' and, despite this being a good deal less convenient from my point of view, I agreed to go."

From this point on, I knew that I would be reading the experiences of a crybaby. And whining about getting up at the "ungodly hour" of 6 AM? You can tell this guy has been a music journalist way too long by these two statements alone.
"You see, for me [art]'s not one of life's ornaments, rococo relaxation to be greeted affably after a day of hard work; I'm inverted on this : for me it's my very breath, the one thing necessary, and all else is excretion and a latrine."

~Arno Schmidt
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
06-08-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullettooth

interview Barry Manilow instead, as she had a spot for the following morning, the same time that I was to have interviewed Tool. I agreed, wondering for one foolish moment whether my questions for Tool could be asked of Barry Manilow without arousing the great man's suspicion
Sounds like he would have been happier interviewing Barry. "The great man?" <snicker>

Journo = ****
Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullettooth

interview Barry Manilow instead, as she had a spot for the following morning, the same time that I was to have interviewed Tool. I agreed, wondering for one foolish moment whether my questions for Tool could be asked of Barry Manilow without arousing the great man's suspicion
Sounds like he would have been happier interviewing Barry. "The great man?" <snicker>

Journo = ****
savelints8's Avatar savelints8
06-08-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Silver
GROW UP

GET LIVES

MOVE ON
Exactly. Just be grateful that Tool have given you such great music to listen to.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #18
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Location: The Phallus Palace Fernando Clavijo: Resigned!!! Sex: ***MALE***
Bincount™: 4914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Silver
GROW UP

GET LIVES

MOVE ON
Exactly. Just be grateful that Tool have given you such great music to listen to.
fraz's Avatar fraz
06-08-2006, 10:04 PM

besides

blog is a nice of way saying 'shit coming out of my mouth' (ala that south park episode)

who cares? nobody does.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 24

besides

blog is a nice of way saying 'shit coming out of my mouth' (ala that south park episode)

who cares? nobody does.
Muladhara's Avatar Muladhara
06-09-2006, 12:59 AM

I have nothing more to add to this thread, I'll just say something similar to what everyone else said.

That journalist is a ponce.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:59 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5

I have nothing more to add to this thread, I'll just say something similar to what everyone else said.

That journalist is a ponce.
06-09-2006, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolophane

I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm sure if you had to deal with this kind of shit (sudden rescheduling, prima donna like security behavior) just to get your job done you would bitch about it as well
Old 06-09-2006, 04:42 AM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolophane

I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm sure if you had to deal with this kind of shit (sudden rescheduling, prima donna like security behavior) just to get your job done you would bitch about it as well
bellamadia's Avatar bellamadia
06-09-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new dimension_disposition

At the end of the day, this is TOOL's career. Like we go to work everyday. Some of us enjoy what we do and feel fulfilled while making money and others do it just because of the money. Either way, we work because we want things that money can buy, home, car, kids, toys, whatever.

But when TOOL says it's not about the money, the probably mean that they didn't sit around one day pre-opiate and say... Well, how can we make a buttload of money? hmm maybe we should like play some instruments and sing and shit, that would work. YAY that's how we'll get rich! More than likely, TOOL was founded on their love of music, art, etc. The getting rich part is part of that. Either way, it is their career.

Not to mention, we shouldn't be judging whether or not we like their music or new CD based on their personanalities or outlooks. It is, or should be, for us as fans, about the music, art, and nothing else.

That said, this journalist's job was affected by TOOL and for him, it's about the job, not the music. So I can justify his opinion, though I think he's a bit dramatic. In that job ya kind have to be able to go with the flow.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:19 AM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

At the end of the day, this is TOOL's career. Like we go to work everyday. Some of us enjoy what we do and feel fulfilled while making money and others do it just because of the money. Either way, we work because we want things that money can buy, home, car, kids, toys, whatever.

But when TOOL says it's not about the money, the probably mean that they didn't sit around one day pre-opiate and say... Well, how can we make a buttload of money? hmm maybe we should like play some instruments and sing and shit, that would work. YAY that's how we'll get rich! More than likely, TOOL was founded on their love of music, art, etc. The getting rich part is part of that. Either way, it is their career.

Not to mention, we shouldn't be judging whether or not we like their music or new CD based on their personanalities or outlooks. It is, or should be, for us as fans, about the music, art, and nothing else.

That said, this journalist's job was affected by TOOL and for him, it's about the job, not the music. So I can justify his opinion, though I think he's a bit dramatic. In that job ya kind have to be able to go with the flow.
praefector's Avatar praefector
06-09-2006, 06:53 AM

im just gonna laugh at the direction you guys have taken this thread... -> lol

to the guy who started the thread: interesting read. youve got a good storytelling style to your writing. i like it. you should have accepted the interview with manilow though, just to scream at him "YOU SUCK" and then hang up.

im curious to know why you agreed to this at all though, you clearly arent a fan in the slightest (metallica?!?!) and from most accounts interviewing tool is a bit of a toil and they tend to aim to make the interviewer feel stupid or insecure.

anyway, nice going. ; )
Old 06-09-2006, 06:53 AM   #23
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

im just gonna laugh at the direction you guys have taken this thread... -> lol

to the guy who started the thread: interesting read. youve got a good storytelling style to your writing. i like it. you should have accepted the interview with manilow though, just to scream at him "YOU SUCK" and then hang up.

im curious to know why you agreed to this at all though, you clearly arent a fan in the slightest (metallica?!?!) and from most accounts interviewing tool is a bit of a toil and they tend to aim to make the interviewer feel stupid or insecure.

anyway, nice going. ; )
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
06-09-2006, 06:58 AM

Wwwwaaaaaaaa! Wwwwwwwaaaaaaa! Wwwwwwwaaaaaaa!

I had to wake up at 6:30 to do my job! Wwwwwaaaaaaa! Wwwwwwaaaaaaa!
Old 06-09-2006, 06:58 AM   #24
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362

Wwwwaaaaaaaa! Wwwwwwwaaaaaaa! Wwwwwwwaaaaaaa!

I had to wake up at 6:30 to do my job! Wwwwwaaaaaaa! Wwwwwwaaaaaaa!
06-09-2006, 07:20 AM

To everyone who wants to say goodbye to Tool: go ahead. You will not be missed.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:20 AM   #25
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

To everyone who wants to say goodbye to Tool: go ahead. You will not be missed.
facelessDrone
06-09-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublefunk
Precisely. Just because we'd all be drooling over the chance to interview the almighty band TOOL because we all think Maynard descended from on high on the 7th day with a golden mic in his hand doesn't take away this guy's right to complain about being treated like shit. "If hee wuz a tr00 t00L fan he woodn't care abowt waking up at six in teh moorning!! ***!!" Maybe not, but he does have a job to do, a family to support, and every right to be irritated by being jerked around by some pretentious band he knows nothing about.
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
Old 06-09-2006, 07:36 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublefunk
Precisely. Just because we'd all be drooling over the chance to interview the almighty band TOOL because we all think Maynard descended from on high on the 7th day with a golden mic in his hand doesn't take away this guy's right to complain about being treated like shit. "If hee wuz a tr00 t00L fan he woodn't care abowt waking up at six in teh moorning!! ***!!" Maybe not, but he does have a job to do, a family to support, and every right to be irritated by being jerked around by some pretentious band he knows nothing about.
praefector's Avatar praefector
06-09-2006, 07:44 AM

its not about chomping at the bit to interview tool

its more about there being plenty of people who REGULARLY wake up at 6:30 or earlier to support their families and this guy is whining about having to wake up eariler on ONE DAY just to interview some "pretentious" musicians after which hed probably just fall back asleep.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:44 AM   #27
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

its not about chomping at the bit to interview tool

its more about there being plenty of people who REGULARLY wake up at 6:30 or earlier to support their families and this guy is whining about having to wake up eariler on ONE DAY just to interview some "pretentious" musicians after which hed probably just fall back asleep.
weesper's Avatar weesper
06-09-2006, 07:49 AM

Whoaoaoa waking up at half six to do a phone call after you've just quietly made yourself some coffee and then slothing off to your type writer/ keyboard to write a story about it and afterwards emailing it to your boss before getting back to bed... This guy has no reason to complain what so fucking ever

ps should you as a music journalist not be on the look out for a new job if u actually think Tool sounds like metallica ? probably thinks barry Manilow sounds like metallica, ... and Tool as well1
Old 06-09-2006, 07:49 AM   #28

Whoaoaoa waking up at half six to do a phone call after you've just quietly made yourself some coffee and then slothing off to your type writer/ keyboard to write a story about it and afterwards emailing it to your boss before getting back to bed... This guy has no reason to complain what so fucking ever

ps should you as a music journalist not be on the look out for a new job if u actually think Tool sounds like metallica ? probably thinks barry Manilow sounds like metallica, ... and Tool as well1
facelessDrone
06-09-2006, 07:53 AM

6:30 isn't that bad, but I can still understand where the guy's coming from. I don't see anything particularly inflammatory or bitchy about his article.

This band he obviously doesn't know much about blows him off 2 or 3 times. What else is he supposed to think?
Old 06-09-2006, 07:53 AM   #29
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

6:30 isn't that bad, but I can still understand where the guy's coming from. I don't see anything particularly inflammatory or bitchy about his article.

This band he obviously doesn't know much about blows him off 2 or 3 times. What else is he supposed to think?
mattw
06-09-2006, 08:00 AM

The most depressing thing for me is that the music journalist refers to Oxford St. (Sydney) and how the band were there, at some venue, in February to present their new album etc. Each week I catch a bus through Oxford St. on my way to work in the city - it saddens me to think that my favourite band were nearby sometime in February and I didn't even know - not that they were playing or anything etc.

I guess I'm angry at and jealous of this journalist. I would have given anything to go that listening session back in February (15min bus ride from my house!) and have a chance to perhaps meet the band/talk to them etc.

And then he pisses me off more by complaining about getting up at 6am? What the fuck? I'd be so excited about such an interview opportunity that I wouldn't even go to bed...

Stupid journalist!

By the way, Metallica-like sound? I don't think so...
22/04/02 Brisbane, 21/01/07 Gold Coast BDO, 24/01/07 Sydney, 25/01/07 Sydney BDO, 31/01/07 Melbourne, 11/07/10 San Francisco, 12/07/10 Sacramento, 14/07/10 San Diego, 24/01/11 Brisbane, 27/04/13 Melbourne, 3/05/13 Sydney, 4/05/13 Sydney, 6/01/16 San Francisco, 7/01/16 San Francisco, 9/01/16 San Diego, 10/01/16 San Diego
Old 06-09-2006, 08:00 AM   #30
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 27

The most depressing thing for me is that the music journalist refers to Oxford St. (Sydney) and how the band were there, at some venue, in February to present their new album etc. Each week I catch a bus through Oxford St. on my way to work in the city - it saddens me to think that my favourite band were nearby sometime in February and I didn't even know - not that they were playing or anything etc.

I guess I'm angry at and jealous of this journalist. I would have given anything to go that listening session back in February (15min bus ride from my house!) and have a chance to perhaps meet the band/talk to them etc.

And then he pisses me off more by complaining about getting up at 6am? What the fuck? I'd be so excited about such an interview opportunity that I wouldn't even go to bed...

Stupid journalist!

By the way, Metallica-like sound? I don't think so...
22/04/02 Brisbane, 21/01/07 Gold Coast BDO, 24/01/07 Sydney, 25/01/07 Sydney BDO, 31/01/07 Melbourne, 11/07/10 San Francisco, 12/07/10 Sacramento, 14/07/10 San Diego, 24/01/11 Brisbane, 27/04/13 Melbourne, 3/05/13 Sydney, 4/05/13 Sydney, 6/01/16 San Francisco, 7/01/16 San Francisco, 9/01/16 San Diego, 10/01/16 San Diego
Goad
06-09-2006, 08:11 AM

bottom line....the guy wasnt getting any respect and the band was being very inconsiderate......if he was a fan or not, i dont blame him.

if be pissed too if i was getting flaked on over and over.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:11 AM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 18

bottom line....the guy wasnt getting any respect and the band was being very inconsiderate......if he was a fan or not, i dont blame him.

weesper's Avatar weesper
06-09-2006, 08:17 AM

I wannna have a vote on whether we think this guy is yes or no a crybaby

after counting all the votes we'll send the results to that link above
this one http://blogs.smh.com.au/thedailytrut...tool_time.html

I'm gonna say..... yes he IS a tosser
Old 06-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #32

Towelie's Avatar Towelie
06-09-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goad

I hear you. And, I'd agree if he was working with who he is complaining about. But, he's not. He makes money reporting on others creativity. I think he fails to understand that.

Instead of bitching about not getting acceptance by particular artists, why not write something valuable. All he did was write about why he's upset. It's kind of pointless imo.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #33
Banned.

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goad

I hear you. And, I'd agree if he was working with who he is complaining about. But, he's not. He makes money reporting on others creativity. I think he fails to understand that.

Instead of bitching about not getting acceptance by particular artists, why not write something valuable. All he did was write about why he's upset. It's kind of pointless imo.
Sol Invictus's Avatar Sol Invictus
06-09-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:

As much as I would have wholeheartedly disagreed with you a year ago, I now have to agree 100%. Tool lost me with the buildup to 10,000 days. Seems the band were being fed by the amount of gay tool fans that were acquired since lateralus and especially in the past year or two. They arent the beatles hell they arent even metallica. Dont get me wrong I like tool better but you have to admit they are still no metallica. Talk to me in 15 years.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #34
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66

Quote:

As much as I would have wholeheartedly disagreed with you a year ago, I now have to agree 100%. Tool lost me with the buildup to 10,000 days. Seems the band were being fed by the amount of gay tool fans that were acquired since lateralus and especially in the past year or two. They arent the beatles hell they arent even metallica. Dont get me wrong I like tool better but you have to admit they are still no metallica. Talk to me in 15 years.
06-09-2006, 11:09 AM

lol

So in 15 years, a band who completely sold out when their bassist died, and made a bunch of shitty pop metal records, will be better than tool?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #35
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070

lol

So in 15 years, a band who completely sold out when their bassist died, and made a bunch of shitty pop metal records, will be better than tool?
rogerdoger's Avatar rogerdoger
06-09-2006, 11:39 AM

Jesus Christ, Tool sounds just like Metallica? I thought MUSIC journalists were supposed to know about MUSIC, at least enough to tell a difference from these two bands. Next the guy's gonna be writing articles about the similarities between Slayer and the Backstreet Boys.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:39 AM   #36
Level 7 - Loquacious

Jesus Christ, Tool sounds just like Metallica? I thought MUSIC journalists were supposed to know about MUSIC, at least enough to tell a difference from these two bands. Next the guy's gonna be writing articles about the similarities between Slayer and the Backstreet Boys.
06-09-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesper

You should start a thread with a poll.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #37
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesper

You should start a thread with a poll.
06-09-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
lol

Nope wasnt my point. Its about longetivity. Tool hasnt been around as long as metallica or sold as many albums...It has nothing to do with sound. It has to do with Tool just arent as well known or widely as respected (sadly) as metallica therefore are not the new beatles or even the new metallica....just yet...talk to me in 15 years.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #38
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraflux
lol

Nope wasnt my point. Its about longetivity. Tool hasnt been around as long as metallica or sold as many albums...It has nothing to do with sound. It has to do with Tool just arent as well known or widely as respected (sadly) as metallica therefore are not the new beatles or even the new metallica....just yet...talk to me in 15 years.
06-09-2006, 01:00 PM

we know what you're saying.

longevity(sp?) and popularity = greatness.

which is wrong.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:00 PM   #39
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 76

we know what you're saying.

longevity(sp?) and popularity = greatness.

which is wrong.
Dross
06-09-2006, 02:20 PM

Oh my god here's a relevalation. If the band is so worried about it leaking why don't they release their disc only on their website as one solid iso file with artwork included? Or just sell the music and have a detailed website with all the artwork and more that is password protected? Why not even ship the artwork for poeple who pay the extra who really need to have that hard copy?

Because they're living in last century when leaks were important.

I hope next time they get a clue instead of all this bullshit. They spent as much effort in trying to stop the leak as the would have spent trying something new.

Exactly what was the point of the listening parties if they couldn't even talk about the album afterward? So they could release an article when it came out?

Why is it so important for the album to get released on a certain day? Are they afraid that poeple who listened to vicarious would just blindly buy the album if they didn't hear it all even if they weren't going to like it? Personally I love the album.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #40

Bincount™: 6

Oh my god here's a relevalation. If the band is so worried about it leaking why don't they release their disc only on their website as one solid iso file with artwork included? Or just sell the music and have a detailed website with all the artwork and more that is password protected? Why not even ship the artwork for poeple who pay the extra who really need to have that hard copy?

Because they're living in last century when leaks were important.

I hope next time they get a clue instead of all this bullshit. They spent as much effort in trying to stop the leak as the would have spent trying something new.

Exactly what was the point of the listening parties if they couldn't even talk about the album afterward? So they could release an article when it came out?

Why is it so important for the album to get released on a certain day? Are they afraid that poeple who listened to vicarious would just blindly buy the album if they didn't hear it all even if they weren't going to like it? Personally I love the album.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply