Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days
User Name
Password
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
05-02-2006, 09:15 PM

Anyone else feel guilty of DL 10k Days before its official release? I didn't get Lateralus until the day it came out and I feel as if I've cheated the band, even though I still bought 10K days. The album rules, but I don't feel as suprised as I should upon the oficial release. I hope that our collective disrespect for Tool's wishes of us waiting doesn't manifest itself in the sales of 10K days.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6
Guilty of Downloading 10K Days Before Official release.

Anyone else feel guilty of DL 10k Days before its official release? I didn't get Lateralus until the day it came out and I feel as if I've cheated the band, even though I still bought 10K days. The album rules, but I don't feel as suprised as I should upon the oficial release. I hope that our collective disrespect for Tool's wishes of us waiting doesn't manifest itself in the sales of 10K days.
05-02-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef

I waited for Good Apollo. I wasn't going to build up my expectations for a release that high again. the disappointment was sharp.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 155
Re: Guilty of Downloading 10K Days Before Official release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef

I waited for Good Apollo. I wasn't going to build up my expectations for a release that high again. the disappointment was sharp.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
NAD's Avatar NAD
05-02-2006, 09:18 PM

I don't feel guilty because I didn't download it. :p
Old 05-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
NAD
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0

I don't feel guilty because I didn't download it. :p
05-02-2006, 09:20 PM

dled it. loved it. bought it. loved it more.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
john dough

Bincount™: 13353

05-02-2006, 09:23 PM

I don't feel any differently about it. As far as I'm concerned, for most people on this board, the day it leaked was the official release date. I mean, we got it all at once, listened to it all the way through...it was 2 weeks before the CD really came out, but the effect was the same as if we had bought it, I think.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

I don't feel any differently about it. As far as I'm concerned, for most people on this board, the day it leaked was the official release date. I mean, we got it all at once, listened to it all the way through...it was 2 weeks before the CD really came out, but the effect was the same as if we had bought it, I think.
05-02-2006, 09:26 PM

[QUOTE= The album rules, but I don't feel as suprised as I should upon the oficial release. [/QUOTE]

well of course youre not gonna be surprised if you already heard album... i mean that basically goes without saying...
Old 05-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 122

[QUOTE= The album rules, but I don't feel as suprised as I should upon the oficial release. [/QUOTE]

well of course youre not gonna be surprised if you already heard album... i mean that basically goes without saying...
05-02-2006, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc43
I must disagree, which is why I waited for the release date. For me a new Tool album is like Christmas Morning when I was a little kid. The anticipation leading up to it is nearly as fun as the event itself, not to mention the fact that their artwork has consistently been a large part of why I enjoy this band so much. I counted down the days to Lateralus and ÆNIMA before, and I did it again for 10,000 Days. Very much worth it.

I'm not knocking anyone who downloaded it, but I am glad that I waited. Oh but I did hear the 3 new songs they performed at Coachella, I don't think that counts as cheating though. :)
Old 05-02-2006, 09:28 PM   #7
NAD
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
I must disagree, which is why I waited for the release date. For me a new Tool album is like Christmas Morning when I was a little kid. The anticipation leading up to it is nearly as fun as the event itself, not to mention the fact that their artwork has consistently been a large part of why I enjoy this band so much. I counted down the days to Lateralus and ÆNIMA before, and I did it again for 10,000 Days. Very much worth it.

I'm not knocking anyone who downloaded it, but I am glad that I waited. Oh but I did hear the 3 new songs they performed at Coachella, I don't think that counts as cheating though. :)
05-02-2006, 09:30 PM

I don't feel I cheated the band. but I know I cheated myself. I REALLY wish I would have waited. it's never made me feel so dissapointed before. I guess Ilearned for next time. It would have made coachella so great if I had not heard the entire CD. Coachella was still great, but to hear the talkbox for the first time there, I am jealous of anyone who had that experience.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Location: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
Bincount™: 69

I don't feel I cheated the band. but I know I cheated myself. I REALLY wish I would have waited. it's never made me feel so dissapointed before. I guess Ilearned for next time. It would have made coachella so great if I had not heard the entire CD. Coachella was still great, but to hear the talkbox for the first time there, I am jealous of anyone who had that experience.
05-02-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogsnarth
Seconded.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 18

Quote:
Seconded.
What the Hell?
05-02-2006, 09:38 PM

i have absolutely no Guilt, because i knew i would be buying it, which i did.

TBH the leaked version doesnt do the real CD any justice. The clarity of the real CD was so refreshing, i appreciated the songs 1000 times more.

Its just that after waiting so long for new material, it was hard to not sucumb to the temptation of getting a glimps sooner. I knew no matter what, i was paying for the misuc in the end, so i was not going to feel like i was cheating the band of anything, especially when i was not sharing the leak.

I also used the leak to promote others in buying the cd when it came out by word of mouth and discussion with fellow fans. the leak was alot like promotional additional hype, in the end IMO

i dont think that i lost any enjoyment out of it for having the leaked version. in fact, i find that it made me appreciate the real CD even more, the music stands on its own merit, worthy of purchase. the art alone was sweet on its own, and i think its the best packaged cd that tool has brought out to date.

Last edited by What the Hell?; 05-02-2006 at 09:43 PM..
Old 05-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

i have absolutely no Guilt, because i knew i would be buying it, which i did.

TBH the leaked version doesnt do the real CD any justice. The clarity of the real CD was so refreshing, i appreciated the songs 1000 times more.

Its just that after waiting so long for new material, it was hard to not sucumb to the temptation of getting a glimps sooner. I knew no matter what, i was paying for the misuc in the end, so i was not going to feel like i was cheating the band of anything, especially when i was not sharing the leak.

I also used the leak to promote others in buying the cd when it came out by word of mouth and discussion with fellow fans. the leak was alot like promotional additional hype, in the end IMO

i dont think that i lost any enjoyment out of it for having the leaked version. in fact, i find that it made me appreciate the real CD even more, the music stands on its own merit, worthy of purchase. the art alone was sweet on its own, and i think its the best packaged cd that tool has brought out to date.

Last edited by What the Hell?; 05-02-2006 at 09:43 PM..
trickma's Avatar trickma
05-02-2006, 09:39 PM

Quote:
QFT
Old 05-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #11
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3

Quote:
QFT
NAD's Avatar NAD
05-02-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLIEve
Not at all man. Actually I was wondering if this happened. I'd like to hear from more people who went to Coachella and DIDN'T hear the leak.

It must have been AMAZING hearing it LIVE before CD/MP3.

For the record I'm with you for the most part. I didn't hear the new album in it's full glory until it was "street dated".
haha, excellent signature, I just watched that on youtube. ;)

The friend I was with at Coachella tried to wait for the release date, but cracked a few days prior. He informed me of the names of the new songs when they started. And yes, it was great to hear them for the first time in concert. I did hear Vicarious previously though.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #12
NAD
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLIEve
Not at all man. Actually I was wondering if this happened. I'd like to hear from more people who went to Coachella and DIDN'T hear the leak.

It must have been AMAZING hearing it LIVE before CD/MP3.

For the record I'm with you for the most part. I didn't hear the new album in it's full glory until it was "street dated".
haha, excellent signature, I just watched that on youtube. ;)

The friend I was with at Coachella tried to wait for the release date, but cracked a few days prior. He informed me of the names of the new songs when they started. And yes, it was great to hear them for the first time in concert. I did hear Vicarious previously though.
05-02-2006, 09:41 PM

downloaded it loved it dont in any way feel guilty. I got the album early and in time for 420. TO me thats a greater gift than having waited.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 66

downloaded it loved it dont in any way feel guilty. I got the album early and in time for 420. TO me thats a greater gift than having waited.
05-02-2006, 10:52 PM

I downloaded it, the day before 4-20 so that was a nice treat. I bought my copy first thing today. so no, I don't feel guilty in the least.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #14
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 54

I downloaded it, the day before 4-20 so that was a nice treat. I bought my copy first thing today. so no, I don't feel guilty in the least.
05-02-2006, 10:57 PM

Nope. Why feel guilty? I got to enjoy the album 2 weeks early, and I got to look forward to not only the leak and listening to it but also buying the actual album. Had I waited, I would have only had 1 day to look forward to.

And they have my money now. What's the difference?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Nope. Why feel guilty? I got to enjoy the album 2 weeks early, and I got to look forward to not only the leak and listening to it but also buying the actual album. Had I waited, I would have only had 1 day to look forward to.

And they have my money now. What's the difference?
praefector's Avatar praefector
05-02-2006, 11:06 PM

waiting sucks

you shouldnt feel guilty unless you dont go see them in concert.

their CDs are really just musical fliers for their live show
Old 05-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #16
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

waiting sucks

chrons's Avatar chrons
05-02-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praefector
waiting sucks

They'll probably get more money from the shows anyways
Old 05-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 38

Quote:
waiting sucks

05-02-2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrons
you can drop the probably

between each member points from their album sales are probably insignificant until the album goes plat. infact most bands that want to maintain complete artistic control sacrifice a very large portion of album sales.

they definitely get their bread from touring and merch sale.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:23 PM   #18
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrons

between each member points from their album sales are probably insignificant until the album goes plat. infact most bands that want to maintain complete artistic control sacrifice a very large portion of album sales.

Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-02-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Interestingly enough, King Crimson, back in the day, never got paid for live shows. They were paid ONLY on the amount of albums they sold. The record label told them that the live shows were advertisements for the albums.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #19
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

Interestingly enough, King Crimson, back in the day, never got paid for live shows. They were paid ONLY on the amount of albums they sold. The record label told them that the live shows were advertisements for the albums.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
submachine's Avatar submachine
05-02-2006, 11:36 PM

Quote:
waiting sucks

Funny how much people don't get this and are still "buying music". Its retarded.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:36 PM   #20
On Probation

Bincount™: 163

Quote:
waiting sucks

Funny how much people don't get this and are still "buying music". Its retarded.
Briznitch's Avatar Briznitch
05-02-2006, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus
I had the album in time for my 4 hour drive to L.A. to see Mr. David Gilmour perform on 4/20. And that was my hope in the weeks prior. Man that album is a great driving record, at least I think so. Jambi and 10,000 Days are great tunes just fuckin zoned out on the road (stoned of course).

And yep, after I bought it last night, I could hear so many other subtle little things in it, rather than the leak, so I like it even more. I still wouldn't rate it their best, but it is damn damn good. Not to mention seeing those clips/hearing the songs from Coachella made me like it even more, because I can tell how much fucking ASS the new songs will whoop live.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:37 PM   #21
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Invictus
I had the album in time for my 4 hour drive to L.A. to see Mr. David Gilmour perform on 4/20. And that was my hope in the weeks prior. Man that album is a great driving record, at least I think so. Jambi and 10,000 Days are great tunes just fuckin zoned out on the road (stoned of course).

And yep, after I bought it last night, I could hear so many other subtle little things in it, rather than the leak, so I like it even more. I still wouldn't rate it their best, but it is damn damn good. Not to mention seeing those clips/hearing the songs from Coachella made me like it even more, because I can tell how much fucking ASS the new songs will whoop live.
Tyson's Avatar Tyson
05-02-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
+1
Old 05-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #22
Virgin colada, no rum

Bincount™: 12673

Quote:
+1
fortysix_and_tool's Avatar fortysix_and_tool
05-02-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
dled it. loved it. bought it. cruised to it. grilled to it. drank to it. smoked to it. posted to it. loved it more.
Edited for truth.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:46 PM   #23

Bincount™: 14

Quote:
dled it. loved it. bought it. cruised to it. grilled to it. drank to it. smoked to it. posted to it. loved it more.
Edited for truth.
woody239
05-03-2006, 01:07 AM

I hate that it was leaked. Deep down, I really hoped it wouldn't have been. After such a long time with no new material though, there was just no way I could've resisted. I could just not say no to new Tool. So I downloaded it. I felt guilty. Today I bought the album. I no longer feel guilty.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:07 AM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

I hate that it was leaked. Deep down, I really hoped it wouldn't have been. After such a long time with no new material though, there was just no way I could've resisted. I could just not say no to new Tool. So I downloaded it. I felt guilty. Today I bought the album. I no longer feel guilty.
05-03-2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody239
I downloaded it. I felt guilty. Today I bought the album. I no longer feel guilty.
What is this, the Mariah Carey board?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:30 AM   #25
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody239
I downloaded it. I felt guilty. Today I bought the album. I no longer feel guilty.
What is this, the Mariah Carey board?
lemonlateralus's Avatar lemonlateralus
05-03-2006, 01:36 AM

I got mine on monday due to being in merry old england,and i must say that i had till that point only heard "vicarious" and early live version of "wings" which was originally a segue.I was definately tempted, but i dont trust virus's and i couldnt be happier with album.Track 3 and 4 on repeat for whole day :P
Old 05-03-2006, 01:36 AM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

I got mine on monday due to being in merry old england,and i must say that i had till that point only heard "vicarious" and early live version of "wings" which was originally a segue.I was definately tempted, but i dont trust virus's and i couldnt be happier with album.Track 3 and 4 on repeat for whole day :P
05-03-2006, 02:00 AM

I don't have regrets. At all. I vowed to buy the cd, and so I did. Too bad they didn't use a little round velcro thingie to keep the new album lens cover closed, the fucker just stands like an erected fallus ;)
Old 05-03-2006, 02:00 AM   #27
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 177

I don't have regrets. At all. I vowed to buy the cd, and so I did. Too bad they didn't use a little round velcro thingie to keep the new album lens cover closed, the fucker just stands like an erected fallus ;)
05-03-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev
Seconded.
3rded!

is that a word?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:05 AM   #28

Bincount™: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev
Seconded.
3rded!

is that a word?
Oberon's Avatar Oberon
05-03-2006, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles
Who are you? Michael Jackson?

He must've been high.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #29
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Quote:

He must've been high.

ANOTHER DEAD HERO.
05-03-2006, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Why, you want a man to touch you? Look elsewhere, freak.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:42 AM   #30
On Probation

Quote:
Why, you want a man to touch you? Look elsewhere, freak.
jazz's Avatar jazz
05-03-2006, 04:47 AM

Quote:
i agree, plus i knew i was going to buy it anyhow, so i never felt (or will feel) bad about dling it.

"I fear that if I explain the lyrics all will realize I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, and everything I say will be used to commit me." -Maynard
Old 05-03-2006, 04:47 AM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
i agree, plus i knew i was going to buy it anyhow, so i never felt (or will feel) bad about dling it.

"I fear that if I explain the lyrics all will realize I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, and everything I say will be used to commit me." -Maynard
auralassassin
05-03-2006, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairLicksTaint

Quoted for truth.

I can't quite explain the feeling of going and tackling a 5 year old kid to get to the last copy of The Downward Spiral. Man, if I had never seen the album art, or heard this album, yesterday would have been one of the best days of my life. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING would have beaten the thrill I would have received when I purchased an album on faith alone, and got 10,000 Days... the art, the music, the lenses... fuck man.

I cheated myself BIGTIME. I learned a lesson from this, though. And I am using it to help me maintain my dignity and composure next time an album leaks. Damn. Thank You, Tool. You teach me yet another valuble lesson about myself.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:15 AM   #32
Banned.

Bincount™: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairLicksTaint

Quoted for truth.

I can't quite explain the feeling of going and tackling a 5 year old kid to get to the last copy of The Downward Spiral. Man, if I had never seen the album art, or heard this album, yesterday would have been one of the best days of my life. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING would have beaten the thrill I would have received when I purchased an album on faith alone, and got 10,000 Days... the art, the music, the lenses... fuck man.

I cheated myself BIGTIME. I learned a lesson from this, though. And I am using it to help me maintain my dignity and composure next time an album leaks. Damn. Thank You, Tool. You teach me yet another valuble lesson about myself.
QuantumMind's Avatar QuantumMind
05-03-2006, 05:17 AM

People act so smug about not downloading it before hand. I bought three copies and I downloaded it so what
Old 05-03-2006, 05:17 AM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

People act so smug about not downloading it before hand. I bought three copies and I downloaded it so what
QuantumMind's Avatar QuantumMind
05-03-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Of_Wah
Exactly my thoughts. I was even thinking of adding a little round piece of velcro.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:20 AM   #34
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Of_Wah
Exactly my thoughts. I was even thinking of adding a little round piece of velcro.
auralassassin
05-03-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:
waiting sucks

Pure ignorance. The band has to PAY to make these records. The label fronts the money, and if the album doesn't sell, the band actually goes into debt. It's a very big deal that this album leaked. We're talking at LEAST 100,000 copies that people didn't buy, simply because they either heard and didn't like it, or didn't have to go and buy it the day it came out, because people were too busy LISTENING to it, instead of ripping it for the first day or two.

We're talking almost a million dollars in album sales.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:20 AM   #35
Banned.

Quote:
waiting sucks

Pure ignorance. The band has to PAY to make these records. The label fronts the money, and if the album doesn't sell, the band actually goes into debt. It's a very big deal that this album leaked. We're talking at LEAST 100,000 copies that people didn't buy, simply because they either heard and didn't like it, or didn't have to go and buy it the day it came out, because people were too busy LISTENING to it, instead of ripping it for the first day or two.

We're talking almost a million dollars in album sales.
auralassassin
05-03-2006, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumMind
if you don't feel like you cheated yourself or the band, then so nothing... otherwise, it's not a SO WHAT kinda moment for some of us. Some of us feel as if we betrayed te band, even if we bought it in the end.

Let's put it this way... you don't trust that Tool's new album will kick ass?

You don't trust, that after 5 or more badass CD's that are among the best EVER released on the planet, that they might not have another one in them?

The least you could do, for all they have given you, is to trust them on this one. I didn't, and I paid the price. This album shut me up really fucking quick.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:23 AM   #36
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumMind
if you don't feel like you cheated yourself or the band, then so nothing... otherwise, it's not a SO WHAT kinda moment for some of us. Some of us feel as if we betrayed te band, even if we bought it in the end.

Let's put it this way... you don't trust that Tool's new album will kick ass?

You don't trust, that after 5 or more badass CD's that are among the best EVER released on the planet, that they might not have another one in them?

The least you could do, for all they have given you, is to trust them on this one. I didn't, and I paid the price. This album shut me up really fucking quick.
lucydog's Avatar lucydog
05-03-2006, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
what does that mean? should we steal music? the 9-12 months tool spend recording this album was what, charity? Do you only listen to live music?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #37
crashed my spaceship (tdn $upporter)
Suicide Booth ID: 10

Bincount™: 10062

Quote:
Originally Posted by submachine
what does that mean? should we steal music? the 9-12 months tool spend recording this album was what, charity? Do you only listen to live music?
05-03-2006, 06:18 AM

quite frankly I dont give two shits what the band thinks about the illegal download of their music. I am at the point where I apperciate them as artists enough to just hear them fuck around with their instruments to apperciate their art. Tool should take it as a complimant that many Tool fans dont care if they hear incomplete half ass quality songs.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #38
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 15

quite frankly I dont give two shits what the band thinks about the illegal download of their music. I am at the point where I apperciate them as artists enough to just hear them fuck around with their instruments to apperciate their art. Tool should take it as a complimant that many Tool fans dont care if they hear incomplete half ass quality songs.
Snakedragon
05-03-2006, 06:24 AM

i downloaded vicarious, as no radio station near me played it. i waited to listen to the album when it was in my hands though.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #39

Bincount™: 3

i downloaded vicarious, as no radio station near me played it. i waited to listen to the album when it was in my hands though.
lucydog's Avatar lucydog
05-03-2006, 06:25 AM

i dont think they care about the leak half as much as people around here tend to believe, considering that 99.9% of the people who downloaded it went out and bought it as soon as it came out. the entire "decoy" album theory was created by fans, who thought that blair was lying about everything. it seems like they embraced the fact that it would leak.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:25 AM   #40
crashed my spaceship (tdn $upporter)
Suicide Booth ID: 10

Bincount™: 10062

i dont think they care about the leak half as much as people around here tend to believe, considering that 99.9% of the people who downloaded it went out and bought it as soon as it came out. the entire "decoy" album theory was created by fans, who thought that blair was lying about everything. it seems like they embraced the fact that it would leak.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply