Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 03. Wings for Marie
User Name
Password
lessthanmurf
05-02-2006, 08:31 PM

after not really getting into wings/10 000 days, i gave it another listen.

it has occured to me that (and sorry if this is obvious or old hat or both) part 1 is before Marie passed away and the big bass thump at the end of part 1 is her death.

part 2 is the start of her trip on the afterlife.

does anyone else agree with this?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
interpretation

after not really getting into wings/10 000 days, i gave it another listen.

it has occured to me that (and sorry if this is obvious or old hat or both) part 1 is before Marie passed away and the big bass thump at the end of part 1 is her death.

part 2 is the start of her trip on the afterlife.

does anyone else agree with this?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Murdz.'s Avatar Murdz.
05-03-2006, 04:49 AM

I'd say so, especially with the last line of the song being "it's time for us to let you go", however, he referrs to her past-tense in both.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:49 AM   #2
Level 2 - Poster

Re: interpretation

I'd say so, especially with the last line of the song being "it's time for us to let you go", however, he referrs to her past-tense in both.
05-03-2006, 05:00 AM

it could make sense. but also the nice slow guitar could also symbolise her slow progression through the 10,000 days. there are way to many angles to look into music, especially with tool. but you could be onto something.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:00 AM   #3
Level 3 - Talker

it could make sense. but also the nice slow guitar could also symbolise her slow progression through the 10,000 days. there are way to many angles to look into music, especially with tool. but you could be onto something.
davelisowski's Avatar davelisowski
05-08-2006, 06:53 AM

The loud bass and drum rumble at the beginning of this song sounds like a death rattle to me. I'm sure this is posted somewhere else.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

The loud bass and drum rumble at the beginning of this song sounds like a death rattle to me. I'm sure this is posted somewhere else.
Convoy_X's Avatar Convoy_X
05-12-2006, 11:22 AM

My Supernatural being it’s packed with luminary…
Old 05-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

My Supernatural being it’s packed with luminary…
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-17-2006, 02:03 PM

i think that the bells at the begining of part 1 is the death knell, notice how maynards lyrics mimic it at the start? i think taht shes already dead, but he cant accept it.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

i think that the bells at the begining of part 1 is the death knell, notice how maynards lyrics mimic it at the start? i think taht shes already dead, but he cant accept it.
05-17-2006, 03:21 PM

I think this has been posted before, but again, I'd say that I agree with that idea possibly.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:21 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

I think this has been posted before, but again, I'd say that I agree with that idea possibly.
05-17-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoger
what idea do u agree with?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:33 PM   #8
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdoger
what idea do u agree with?
05-18-2006, 07:20 AM

i personally think that this song is taking place in the funeral home on the final day that his mother is being layed out. and maynard is reflecting on everything that she has meant to him and at the end of the day when the sun has gone down, leaving only the cold lights of the funeral home shining on his mother he finds it difficult to look at her because he is realizing the finality of everything. he then asks what he is to say to all the people who are gathering to see her, and he concludes that her life had meaning and purpose and truth to it and that while she was bound to a wheelchair for most of it, and never truly lived what people would consider a proper life, the fact is that through her life he was saved. then he realizes that it's time to let her go where she belongs and says goodbye
Old 05-18-2006, 07:20 AM   #9
Banned.

Bincount™: 10891

i personally think that this song is taking place in the funeral home on the final day that his mother is being layed out. and maynard is reflecting on everything that she has meant to him and at the end of the day when the sun has gone down, leaving only the cold lights of the funeral home shining on his mother he finds it difficult to look at her because he is realizing the finality of everything. he then asks what he is to say to all the people who are gathering to see her, and he concludes that her life had meaning and purpose and truth to it and that while she was bound to a wheelchair for most of it, and never truly lived what people would consider a proper life, the fact is that through her life he was saved. then he realizes that it's time to let her go where she belongs and says goodbye

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply