Ticks & Leeches
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema

Reviews only. No links to bootlegs.

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-31-2012 at 08:05 PM..
Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45
01.31.2012 - Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Arena

*****DO NOT POST HERE UNLESS YOU WERE AT THE SHOW*****

Hooker With A Penis
Jambi
Stinkfist
Ticks & Leeches
Pushit
Schism
Intension
Forty Six & 2
Lateralus
Ænema

Reviews only. No links to bootlegs.

Last edited by kanaduh; 01-31-2012 at 08:05 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
rtc_n_me
01-31-2012, 08:10 PM

Set list (I think)

Hooker w/ a Penis
Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist
Iicks & Leeches
Vigneti Tres
Pushit
Schism
Intension
46 & 2
Lateralus
- intermission -
Aenima

Didn't think it was as good as the Boston show even in though a smaller venue. The band seemed a bit off, or tired, or something. Not that you'd notice, as they are always tight, just a bit here and there. Maynard had nothing to say. Danny makes it all worth while :-)
Old 01-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.31.2012 - Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Arena

Set list (I think)

Hooker w/ a Penis
Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist
Iicks & Leeches
Vigneti Tres
Pushit
Schism
Intension
46 & 2
Lateralus
- intermission -
Aenima

Didn't think it was as good as the Boston show even in though a smaller venue. The band seemed a bit off, or tired, or something. Not that you'd notice, as they are always tight, just a bit here and there. Maynard had nothing to say. Danny makes it all worth while :-)
Mythstatic
01-31-2012, 09:04 PM

Still have jizz in my hair from the guy behind me who busted a nut when Danny had his solo in Lateralus
Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Still have jizz in my hair from the guy behind me who busted a nut when Danny had his solo in Lateralus
gadzooked1
01-31-2012, 09:27 PM

I went to Boston as well and thought this was a much better show. Of course, buying a tix for $20 helps.
The sound was incredible. I sat 4 rows from the back vs. row 2 in Beantown. In row 2 the visuals are completely lost. Junior is a huge part of the live show. Looking down on the lasers tonight and hearing the perfect mix made this show.
Schism and 46 and 2 have new life breathed into them. Every song they normally play has new life breathed into them.
Ticks and Leeches is so amazing in person. Danny owns the world when he plays that song. A big thanks to the band for that inclusion.
"Pushit" was the star of the evening. Oh my fucking god. Oh my fucking god.
Yes.
I hope you out of towners enjoyed our special little Mohegan Sun. Tripping balls is wonderful there. The show tonight was perfectly sized for that venue. I fully expect this venue to be on future tours.
Till next time....
7/8/97 Mansfield,MA Lollapalooza, 9/21/01 Mansfield, MA, 9/22/01 Hartford, CT, 8/16/02 Boston, MA, 8/17/02 Prov, RI, 8/20/02 New Haven, CT, 4/30/06 Coachella, 7/12/07 Mansfield, MA, 7/14/07 Portland, ME, 8/02/09 Manchester, NH, 01/28/12 Boston, MA
Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I went to Boston as well and thought this was a much better show. Of course, buying a tix for $20 helps.
The sound was incredible. I sat 4 rows from the back vs. row 2 in Beantown. In row 2 the visuals are completely lost. Junior is a huge part of the live show. Looking down on the lasers tonight and hearing the perfect mix made this show.
Schism and 46 and 2 have new life breathed into them. Every song they normally play has new life breathed into them.
Ticks and Leeches is so amazing in person. Danny owns the world when he plays that song. A big thanks to the band for that inclusion.
"Pushit" was the star of the evening. Oh my fucking god. Oh my fucking god.
Yes.
I hope you out of towners enjoyed our special little Mohegan Sun. Tripping balls is wonderful there. The show tonight was perfectly sized for that venue. I fully expect this venue to be on future tours.
Till next time....
7/8/97 Mansfield,MA Lollapalooza, 9/21/01 Mansfield, MA, 9/22/01 Hartford, CT, 8/16/02 Boston, MA, 8/17/02 Prov, RI, 8/20/02 New Haven, CT, 4/30/06 Coachella, 7/12/07 Mansfield, MA, 7/14/07 Portland, ME, 8/02/09 Manchester, NH, 01/28/12 Boston, MA
TwelveLibras
01-31-2012, 10:35 PM

good show... i did prefer boston even though i had way better seats to tonights show. Really wished Maynard would have at least said something, anything... I know that is not his persona but even something candid would be entertaining or nice to at least acknowledge everyone.

THANK YOU TO MOHEGAN SUN for saying no to cell phones and cameras... it was 100% more enjoyable of a show visually because I got to actually enjoy it, and not have to see a row full of glowing cell phone lights in front of me. THANK YOU!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Level 2 - Poster

good show... i did prefer boston even though i had way better seats to tonights show. Really wished Maynard would have at least said something, anything... I know that is not his persona but even something candid would be entertaining or nice to at least acknowledge everyone.

THANK YOU TO MOHEGAN SUN for saying no to cell phones and cameras... it was 100% more enjoyable of a show visually because I got to actually enjoy it, and not have to see a row full of glowing cell phone lights in front of me. THANK YOU!!!
new millenium cyanide christ's Avatar new millenium cyanide christ
01-31-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtc_n_me View Post
Set list (I think)

Hooker w/ a Penis
Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist
Iicks & Leeches
Vigneti Tres
Pushit
Schism
Intension
46 & 2
Lateralus
- intermission -
Aenima

there's really nothing maynard needs to say.

the songs said it all.

absolutely incredible show. closed eye visual explosion throughout. i love tool.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
greetings from planet x

Bincount™: 1062

Quote:
Set list (I think)

Hooker w/ a Penis
Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist
Iicks & Leeches
Vigneti Tres
Pushit
Schism
Intension
46 & 2
Lateralus
- intermission -
Aenima

there's really nothing maynard needs to say.

the songs said it all.

absolutely incredible show. closed eye visual explosion throughout. i love tool.
burbur
02-01-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
The band seemed a bit off, or tired, or something. Not that you'd notice, as they are always tight, just a bit here and there.
Totally agree. While I hadn't seen them on this tour prior to yesterday, I've seen them a host of other times over the years, and for the first time could see that there were points where they were out of sync. Despite this, thought it was one of the best I've seen.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
The band seemed a bit off, or tired, or something. Not that you'd notice, as they are always tight, just a bit here and there.
Totally agree. While I hadn't seen them on this tour prior to yesterday, I've seen them a host of other times over the years, and for the first time could see that there were points where they were out of sync. Despite this, thought it was one of the best I've seen.
permian84
02-01-2012, 06:44 AM

Great venue for the band to post graphic imagery and weave their pedals through another classic rock show. When a band opens with an aggressive number such as "Hooker with a Penis"; no "yips", thundering clean crisp sound, vocals spot on....impressive. I was in a section near people who saw them in Boston over the weekend, and after the show they said to a man, "much better this time". Not much movement on stage, I could care less...too many idiot bands veil their shitty sound and look with props. I'd bet they timed out on all their songs (except LATERALUS) very close to matching Album times. I decided not to wear earplugs, usually a mistake, but other than residula humming, I am good today. I'll say it; them and Zeppelin are the two greatest rock bands EVER. EVER. Lateralus is the ultimate, and as a unit, no band hits on stride better. Danny is the "God of Thunder" on his killer kit. I've heard yearnings of changing the setlist by many through the years to eliminate some of the staples, but when played to perfection, it is mind blowing. "Schism" had purpose, a song I particularly do not care for. Thanx TOOL. Spiral Out.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Great venue for the band to post graphic imagery and weave their pedals through another classic rock show. When a band opens with an aggressive number such as "Hooker with a Penis"; no "yips", thundering clean crisp sound, vocals spot on....impressive. I was in a section near people who saw them in Boston over the weekend, and after the show they said to a man, "much better this time". Not much movement on stage, I could care less...too many idiot bands veil their shitty sound and look with props. I'd bet they timed out on all their songs (except LATERALUS) very close to matching Album times. I decided not to wear earplugs, usually a mistake, but other than residula humming, I am good today. I'll say it; them and Zeppelin are the two greatest rock bands EVER. EVER. Lateralus is the ultimate, and as a unit, no band hits on stride better. Danny is the "God of Thunder" on his killer kit. I've heard yearnings of changing the setlist by many through the years to eliminate some of the staples, but when played to perfection, it is mind blowing. "Schism" had purpose, a song I particularly do not care for. Thanx TOOL. Spiral Out.
BassmasterGeneral
02-01-2012, 07:28 AM

Awesome show. Haven't seen them since Lollapalooza '93. I vow to not let another 18 years pass before seeing them again!!!

I sat at the back row on the floor, 4 seats to the right of the soundboard. Couldn't have had better seats to be able to get the best sound and the full visual effect.

I did see the set list from the lighting desk, and they had The Pot listed right before Aenema. I'm rather bummed they didn't do it as it's one of my faves. Other than that, I
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome show. Haven't seen them since Lollapalooza '93. I vow to not let another 18 years pass before seeing them again!!!

I sat at the back row on the floor, 4 seats to the right of the soundboard. Couldn't have had better seats to be able to get the best sound and the full visual effect.

I did see the set list from the lighting desk, and they had The Pot listed right before Aenema. I'm rather bummed they didn't do it as it's one of my faves. Other than that, I
Rod's Avatar Rod
02-01-2012, 07:41 AM

Jones in white, never seen that before. Was he the Yin to Justin's, dressed in black Yang?

The energy was up and down, there did seem to be tired moments but they didn't last, those songs are too good. Simply amazing, they punched us in the face right from the get go and never looked back. The crowd was very appreciative, a very chill evening. It didn't even dawn on me that Maynard didn't say anything until the ride home. Who wants platitudes anyway?

Carl: Yeah, it's the American tradition to cut people down to size because they've brought so much joy into our lives.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Rod
tdn bracketologist 07

Bincount™: 65

Jones in white, never seen that before. Was he the Yin to Justin's, dressed in black Yang?

The energy was up and down, there did seem to be tired moments but they didn't last, those songs are too good. Simply amazing, they punched us in the face right from the get go and never looked back. The crowd was very appreciative, a very chill evening. It didn't even dawn on me that Maynard didn't say anything until the ride home. Who wants platitudes anyway?

Carl: Yeah, it's the American tradition to cut people down to size because they've brought so much joy into our lives.
GodWeenSatan's Avatar GodWeenSatan
02-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Wow. great to see Ticks, Hooker and Pushit. I was on the floor and thought the sound was off also. It just didn't sound clean like other venues I've seen them in. I primed up pretty good before the show, so maybe I was off a bit too.

So I stayed at the same hotel the band did the night before. I know the GM well. He said the band was really nice and chill. But the hotel management was under strict instructions to keep them and Maynard apart because he's not getting along with them at all. They were having security scope out the halls, bar, pool, etc. so Maynard wouldn't bump into the rest of the band. They even insisted the tour buses be kept in separate lots. Basically, Maynard is not happy to be touring with the band again.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

Wow. great to see Ticks, Hooker and Pushit. I was on the floor and thought the sound was off also. It just didn't sound clean like other venues I've seen them in. I primed up pretty good before the show, so maybe I was off a bit too.

So I stayed at the same hotel the band did the night before. I know the GM well. He said the band was really nice and chill. But the hotel management was under strict instructions to keep them and Maynard apart because he's not getting along with them at all. They were having security scope out the halls, bar, pool, etc. so Maynard wouldn't bump into the rest of the band. They even insisted the tour buses be kept in separate lots. Basically, Maynard is not happy to be touring with the band again.
02-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Awesome show. Was so much better than Boston's for me. Had much better seats.
Was lower and in front of the stage instead of way above and to the side. Way better atmosphere, better sound and you appreciate the light show/video so much more.

Wish I was going to a 3rd show 8P
Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

Awesome show. Was so much better than Boston's for me. Had much better seats.
Was lower and in front of the stage instead of way above and to the side. Way better atmosphere, better sound and you appreciate the light show/video so much more.

Wish I was going to a 3rd show 8P
Bulwyf
02-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWeenSatan View Post
Reminds me of Schism :(
Old 02-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Reminds me of Schism :(
Patrick420
02-01-2012, 12:18 PM

I think some of you might be a bit brainwashed. Sure it was better than a lot of bands, but for Tool? The sound was just loud, muddled and not clear or crisp. Aenima tour? Really? What year is it? Really missed Wings/10,000 Days and Vicarious. If Maynard and the rest of the band are not getting along, that explains a lot, no chemistry at all, vocals drowned out etc. A disappointment if only because they are capable of being so much better. The break they took before playing Aenima took longer than the song did.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

I think some of you might be a bit brainwashed. Sure it was better than a lot of bands, but for Tool? The sound was just loud, muddled and not clear or crisp. Aenima tour? Really? What year is it? Really missed Wings/10,000 Days and Vicarious. If Maynard and the rest of the band are not getting along, that explains a lot, no chemistry at all, vocals drowned out etc. A disappointment if only because they are capable of being so much better. The break they took before playing Aenima took longer than the song did.
Laterabola
02-01-2012, 01:16 PM

It seems that there a lot varied opinions about the show last night. While I feel that the Boston show was indeed much better overall, I wouldn't say that the Mohegan show was awful. I thought everything from the audio to the visuals to the band's timing was just a tad bit "off" last night. However, the problems didn't totally ruin the experience, at least not for me. I still had a great time.
1/28/12
1/31/12

Last edited by Laterabola; 02-01-2012 at 01:17 PM..
Old 02-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

It seems that there a lot varied opinions about the show last night. While I feel that the Boston show was indeed much better overall, I wouldn't say that the Mohegan show was awful. I thought everything from the audio to the visuals to the band's timing was just a tad bit "off" last night. However, the problems didn't totally ruin the experience, at least not for me. I still had a great time.
1/28/12
1/31/12

Last edited by Laterabola; 02-01-2012 at 01:17 PM..
GodWeenSatan's Avatar GodWeenSatan
02-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick420 View Post
I agree totally.. It was loud and muddled. We even walked around to different spots on the floor, and in the upper sections as well to see if the sound would be better.
My last show was Reno 2006/2007? with 8th row center seats and the sound was loud as hell but crisp and chest pounding.
The Aenima, Lateralus and 10000 Days shows I saw while living in Lake Tahoe had great chemistry and blew me away. I had fun last night, but I was not blown away. Nor did I get goosebumps like I usually do when I see this band live. Oh well..... I will still go to any show I can in the future and I hope the guys work out their personal problems
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick420 View Post
I agree totally.. It was loud and muddled. We even walked around to different spots on the floor, and in the upper sections as well to see if the sound would be better.
My last show was Reno 2006/2007? with 8th row center seats and the sound was loud as hell but crisp and chest pounding.
The Aenima, Lateralus and 10000 Days shows I saw while living in Lake Tahoe had great chemistry and blew me away. I had fun last night, but I was not blown away. Nor did I get goosebumps like I usually do when I see this band live. Oh well..... I will still go to any show I can in the future and I hope the guys work out their personal problems
02-01-2012, 02:31 PM

So, I definitely wouldn't rank it among the best shows but overall a good time. The sound was very decent I think. I was in sec 106. Could see the band perfectly. MJK really kind brought the show down. After pushit I turned to my friend and said " okay maybe a Maynard-less tour wouldn't be so bad. lol. He's skipping parts and was far too nasally especially during stinkfist. Also the rest of the band did seem "off" at times but for the most part they really rocked it

Lowlights:
~MJK really brought down some songs (stinkfist, Pushit and the start of ticks comes to mind)
~The video screens came down behind Adam and Justin during 46 and 2.Probably looked cool from the front; However they completely blocked my view of Danny at the point. Luckily they went back up before lateralus.
~ I think I may be done with hearing 46 and 2 and schism live. They were really hard for me to get into for some reason.

Highlights:
~ The visualizations were really cool. Love love love te new lateralus ending video.
~Lateralus; Danny having a drum solo , I feel, is infinitely better than the drum off. It was so awesome.
~Intro to schism. Possible new song? Sounded pretty cool
~ Intro to intension as well as the song were awesome. First time seeing it live.
~Tick and leeches was still good despite Maynard

I would love to go to another show but It sounds like MJK is really done with the this. I don't think he said anything th whole show. Though I kinda feel like he said something before Aenima. Hopefully we'll still get one more album.

PS. Sorry MJK i'm not trying to hate. I've seen you during the best years I understand it's just not possible anymore,
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #17
Level 7 - Loquacious

So, I definitely wouldn't rank it among the best shows but overall a good time. The sound was very decent I think. I was in sec 106. Could see the band perfectly. MJK really kind brought the show down. After pushit I turned to my friend and said " okay maybe a Maynard-less tour wouldn't be so bad. lol. He's skipping parts and was far too nasally especially during stinkfist. Also the rest of the band did seem "off" at times but for the most part they really rocked it

Lowlights:
~MJK really brought down some songs (stinkfist, Pushit and the start of ticks comes to mind)
~The video screens came down behind Adam and Justin during 46 and 2.Probably looked cool from the front; However they completely blocked my view of Danny at the point. Luckily they went back up before lateralus.
~ I think I may be done with hearing 46 and 2 and schism live. They were really hard for me to get into for some reason.

Highlights:
~ The visualizations were really cool. Love love love te new lateralus ending video.
~Lateralus; Danny having a drum solo , I feel, is infinitely better than the drum off. It was so awesome.
~Intro to schism. Possible new song? Sounded pretty cool
~ Intro to intension as well as the song were awesome. First time seeing it live.
~Tick and leeches was still good despite Maynard

I would love to go to another show but It sounds like MJK is really done with the this. I don't think he said anything th whole show. Though I kinda feel like he said something before Aenima. Hopefully we'll still get one more album.

PS. Sorry MJK i'm not trying to hate. I've seen you during the best years I understand it's just not possible anymore,
strong_zo
02-01-2012, 02:55 PM

For all the Folks who thought Boston sounded better,I think Mohegan sounded better & it was loud.Some people thought MJKs Vocals could of been turned up a notch in TITLETOWN.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

For all the Folks who thought Boston sounded better,I think Mohegan sounded better & it was loud.Some people thought MJKs Vocals could of been turned up a notch in TITLETOWN.
strong_zo
02-01-2012, 03:02 PM

Makes sense.He's the 1st off the stage,when the shows over.While the others are on for a few minutes,waving,thanking the crowd.At Adam Bday party picture on TA,All the other guys are there
& MJK is not.Lets hope this is just speculation or if not it gets worked out.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #19
Level 3 - Talker

Makes sense.He's the 1st off the stage,when the shows over.While the others are on for a few minutes,waving,thanking the crowd.At Adam Bday party picture on TA,All the other guys are there
TOOL_24
02-01-2012, 04:06 PM

Thought the Boston show was way better, sat in basically the same area for both shows too..Referring to the post above about the band being separated at the hotel: I really hope that's not true, but if it is, I totally don't doubt it. Maynard was just not into last night, was not the same as he has been in the past. His heart is in Puscifer, which is fine with me because I love them as well. Just wish they would all have a great time together and transfer the emotion to their live performance. As always, Danny Adam and Justin brought their games. Just wish Maynard would be more into it, but hey I understand he's getting older and can't do the things he used to. I'm just being selfish! Overall it was a very good show because Tool cannot be matched, I will go to every show that they put on in the New England area until they retire from touring!

My biggest complaint: THE CROWD! people were just flat out lame at the mohegan last night, everyone wanted to sit back and relax. I know everyones different and all that, but come on...Who the hell wants to sit down with their legs crossed at a Tool show?? If you want to sit back and relax, please go to an Opera house, and NEVER ASK ME TO SIT DOWN! YOU PEOPLE ARE INSANE!

Until next time, SPIRAL OUT bitches.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Thought the Boston show was way better, sat in basically the same area for both shows too..Referring to the post above about the band being separated at the hotel: I really hope that's not true, but if it is, I totally don't doubt it. Maynard was just not into last night, was not the same as he has been in the past. His heart is in Puscifer, which is fine with me because I love them as well. Just wish they would all have a great time together and transfer the emotion to their live performance. As always, Danny Adam and Justin brought their games. Just wish Maynard would be more into it, but hey I understand he's getting older and can't do the things he used to. I'm just being selfish! Overall it was a very good show because Tool cannot be matched, I will go to every show that they put on in the New England area until they retire from touring!

My biggest complaint: THE CROWD! people were just flat out lame at the mohegan last night, everyone wanted to sit back and relax. I know everyones different and all that, but come on...Who the hell wants to sit down with their legs crossed at a Tool show?? If you want to sit back and relax, please go to an Opera house, and NEVER ASK ME TO SIT DOWN! YOU PEOPLE ARE INSANE!

Until next time, SPIRAL OUT bitches.
FailsafeDevice
02-01-2012, 04:24 PM

Ok so 1st of all let me say this was first time ever seeing Tool, so I guess I would have been blown away no matter what. Also, just for reference, my seat was section 16 row D ( Fantastic seat, I could see everything)
So first in response to all the people complaining about the sound, I'm split. On one hand they sounded better than almost every other band I've heard but on the other the audio mix could have been a little bit better. It was FAR from terrible though, but us Tool fans are picky. I could hear Danny just fine though and that's the most important for me.
Now as for the actual performance? Yes I did hear a few very minor mistakes but they are human. Honestly I was just too immersed in the atmosphere and music to really even care, cuz none of them were huge, distracting things. and as far as Maynards voice and him omitting certain sections of songs.. I think honestly he's doing/giving us the best he can. I think people forget the guy is 47! !! It's time to be realistic. Now whether or not his passion and not his vocal cords are what is leading to the slight decline and increased use of vocal effects (which is more than reasonable on Hooker and Ticks, c'mon people) I just don't know enough about it to say. All in all I thought the band not only put on a good performance but also but an acceptable level of energy into the performance (considering their in their 40's and have never been extreme showmen).
As for the setlist, I'm not gonna lie I cheated and was following what they played on this tour, so when we didn't get the Pot I was slightly disapppointed, which i snapped myself out of quickly cuz how can you in any way be disappointed during the beginning of Aenima? I really did put some thought into this though and the conclusion I've reached is if I went to that show and had Zero knowledge of what was gonna be played would I have left disappointed? The answer is absolutely not, I was blown away. To ask Danny to play more than MAYBE 1 or 2 songs is crazy. My eyes were literally glued to Danny for about 65% of the show and he's a beast back there. I'm surprised he didn't need a heart transplant after Ticks & Leeches lol seriously. From now on I am not gonna look at setlists before I go see Tool, it only sets you up for disappointment when they should absolutely be none, zip, zilch.
So while it was my 1st Tool show and I will admit it's impossible for me to be completely objective, I tried to give you a honest evaluation of the show. The band? great, few minor mistakes, but to be expected from any humans performing live. Maynard? harder to say, he's always been an enigma. Yea he didn't talk to the crowd and thank us, or stay after and graciously ( as Danny, Adam, and justin did) wave and thank the crowd, but isn't that kind of what we should expect form him now? His effort on the songs and vocal peformance? relies on vocal effects/distortion where you would expect but does the best he can, in my humble opinon, maybe he is losing interest I wouldn't know either way. I will definitely be seeing Tool the next time they come around here, I'd give the show a 8.5/10 ( 9/10 if i wasn't expecting/hoping for The Pot)
Old 02-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #21
Level 2 - Poster

Ok so 1st of all let me say this was first time ever seeing Tool, so I guess I would have been blown away no matter what. Also, just for reference, my seat was section 16 row D ( Fantastic seat, I could see everything)
So first in response to all the people complaining about the sound, I'm split. On one hand they sounded better than almost every other band I've heard but on the other the audio mix could have been a little bit better. It was FAR from terrible though, but us Tool fans are picky. I could hear Danny just fine though and that's the most important for me.
Now as for the actual performance? Yes I did hear a few very minor mistakes but they are human. Honestly I was just too immersed in the atmosphere and music to really even care, cuz none of them were huge, distracting things. and as far as Maynards voice and him omitting certain sections of songs.. I think honestly he's doing/giving us the best he can. I think people forget the guy is 47! !! It's time to be realistic. Now whether or not his passion and not his vocal cords are what is leading to the slight decline and increased use of vocal effects (which is more than reasonable on Hooker and Ticks, c'mon people) I just don't know enough about it to say. All in all I thought the band not only put on a good performance but also but an acceptable level of energy into the performance (considering their in their 40's and have never been extreme showmen).
As for the setlist, I'm not gonna lie I cheated and was following what they played on this tour, so when we didn't get the Pot I was slightly disapppointed, which i snapped myself out of quickly cuz how can you in any way be disappointed during the beginning of Aenima? I really did put some thought into this though and the conclusion I've reached is if I went to that show and had Zero knowledge of what was gonna be played would I have left disappointed? The answer is absolutely not, I was blown away. To ask Danny to play more than MAYBE 1 or 2 songs is crazy. My eyes were literally glued to Danny for about 65% of the show and he's a beast back there. I'm surprised he didn't need a heart transplant after Ticks & Leeches lol seriously. From now on I am not gonna look at setlists before I go see Tool, it only sets you up for disappointment when they should absolutely be none, zip, zilch.
So while it was my 1st Tool show and I will admit it's impossible for me to be completely objective, I tried to give you a honest evaluation of the show. The band? great, few minor mistakes, but to be expected from any humans performing live. Maynard? harder to say, he's always been an enigma. Yea he didn't talk to the crowd and thank us, or stay after and graciously ( as Danny, Adam, and justin did) wave and thank the crowd, but isn't that kind of what we should expect form him now? His effort on the songs and vocal peformance? relies on vocal effects/distortion where you would expect but does the best he can, in my humble opinon, maybe he is losing interest I wouldn't know either way. I will definitely be seeing Tool the next time they come around here, I'd give the show a 8.5/10 ( 9/10 if i wasn't expecting/hoping for The Pot)
mrioual
02-01-2012, 05:16 PM

I was there too. Thought it was great. Can't see how any one moved around though.
Security was very active. Too many for such a small venue. Vocal mic should have been turned up. Thought the blending of light and audio was incredible. From the rear section 17 the depth was great. Tell security to go back into the casino. Smoking was nill.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

I was there too. Thought it was great. Can't see how any one moved around though.
Security was very active. Too many for such a small venue. Vocal mic should have been turned up. Thought the blending of light and audio was incredible. From the rear section 17 the depth was great. Tell security to go back into the casino. Smoking was nill.
Awakened1
02-01-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:

They seemed to be having a GREAT time together Sunday night in Camden..... this too shall pass
Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:

They seemed to be having a GREAT time together Sunday night in Camden..... this too shall pass
sscheitel
02-01-2012, 06:10 PM

11th TooL show and nothing to complain about. I stood dead center, section 19 / Row A

I have a much different opinion than most on this thread. I thought Maynard was spot on, with the exception of Ticks&Leeches...as it my understanding that if he were to do this song verbatium from the album he would lose his voice for a week. So he managed the song better than I thought giving us the actual energy in the final verse...and muddling through the rest of the song in a different octave.

I also thought that they changed just about every older song and gave it a slight kick....the sped up Schism, hitting different notes during other songs and holding notes longer at certain parts. Absolutely incredible.

I have been to shows where Maynard showed up in blue jeans and rolled through the show repeating lyrics in second versus and not giving a flying F about it. It was refreshing to hear all the right lyrics and no repeated lines. For example (Lateralus) during most other shows that I have seen them, he normally says "...feed my will to feel this moment..." twice....he repeats the same lyrics in both versus of the song. BUT last night he sang the song as it was written to say "feed my will to feel MY moment" in the first verse. That meant a lot to me. It was the little things like this that made that show special.

Yes he is 47, but I would love to hear anyone hit that note in 46&2 where he sings "DO what it takes to get through". That damn note is impossible to hit with testicals. And again he sang that verse correctly using "leap through" and not get through twice. I know picky....sorry.

Danny...enough said. Worth the price of admission right there.

The light show was awesome, every song had its own theme. Nice job.

I do hope the hotel rumors are not true...but I think that the band has been this way for many many years and that is why they don't write albums together. They actually work on their own separate pieces and submit it to production where they piece it all together.

It was odd that Maynard fist pumped only Danny at the end and then walked off not having even acknowledged the other members.

I think it was the peace sign that he gave the crowd in the end.....but I could not tell if it was a wave, a peace sign or the middle finger.

Overall a 9/10 show....I was lucky enough to get a hold of a setlist and the pot was on there.....but for whatever reason it was not played. I feel it was the gaffe with the guitar causing that small delay due to technical difficulties that did not allow for us to hear the pot.

Highlights: Danny's solo's and Pushit...god damn that song kicks some serious a$$
....although the Salival version would have given this show a 10

I do hope that one day I hear No Quarter live...that would be a dream come true.

Can't wait for the next album.....

Last edited by sscheitel; 02-01-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

11th TooL show and nothing to complain about. I stood dead center, section 19 / Row A

I have a much different opinion than most on this thread. I thought Maynard was spot on, with the exception of Ticks&Leeches...as it my understanding that if he were to do this song verbatium from the album he would lose his voice for a week. So he managed the song better than I thought giving us the actual energy in the final verse...and muddling through the rest of the song in a different octave.

I also thought that they changed just about every older song and gave it a slight kick....the sped up Schism, hitting different notes during other songs and holding notes longer at certain parts. Absolutely incredible.

I have been to shows where Maynard showed up in blue jeans and rolled through the show repeating lyrics in second versus and not giving a flying F about it. It was refreshing to hear all the right lyrics and no repeated lines. For example (Lateralus) during most other shows that I have seen them, he normally says "...feed my will to feel this moment..." twice....he repeats the same lyrics in both versus of the song. BUT last night he sang the song as it was written to say "feed my will to feel MY moment" in the first verse. That meant a lot to me. It was the little things like this that made that show special.

Yes he is 47, but I would love to hear anyone hit that note in 46&2 where he sings "DO what it takes to get through". That damn note is impossible to hit with testicals. And again he sang that verse correctly using "leap through" and not get through twice. I know picky....sorry.

Danny...enough said. Worth the price of admission right there.

The light show was awesome, every song had its own theme. Nice job.

I do hope the hotel rumors are not true...but I think that the band has been this way for many many years and that is why they don't write albums together. They actually work on their own separate pieces and submit it to production where they piece it all together.

It was odd that Maynard fist pumped only Danny at the end and then walked off not having even acknowledged the other members.

I think it was the peace sign that he gave the crowd in the end.....but I could not tell if it was a wave, a peace sign or the middle finger.

Overall a 9/10 show....I was lucky enough to get a hold of a setlist and the pot was on there.....but for whatever reason it was not played. I feel it was the gaffe with the guitar causing that small delay due to technical difficulties that did not allow for us to hear the pot.

Highlights: Danny's solo's and Pushit...god damn that song kicks some serious a$$
....although the Salival version would have given this show a 10

I do hope that one day I hear No Quarter live...that would be a dream come true.

Can't wait for the next album.....

Last edited by sscheitel; 02-01-2012 at 06:17 PM..
Bulwyf
02-01-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscheitel View Post
Devil horns.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #25
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscheitel View Post
Devil horns.
jykayrouz
02-01-2012, 06:36 PM

The lateralus was fucking un believable. Danny Carey was on top of the world. Best performance I have ever seen in my entire life.

The arena was a great contrast from the Boston show. I had floor seats in boston and at Mohegan I had a crosscourt lower section seat with my brothers. It was unbelievable the acoustics were amazing.

Justin and Danny were on fire. Adam was a little off at times but still precise. I am happy Maynard didn't say anything honestly I just wanted to hear great music and I did.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

The lateralus was fucking un believable. Danny Carey was on top of the world. Best performance I have ever seen in my entire life.

The arena was a great contrast from the Boston show. I had floor seats in boston and at Mohegan I had a crosscourt lower section seat with my brothers. It was unbelievable the acoustics were amazing.

Justin and Danny were on fire. Adam was a little off at times but still precise. I am happy Maynard didn't say anything honestly I just wanted to hear great music and I did.
jykayrouz
02-01-2012, 06:38 PM

Y.O.B sucks. come on now, get off the stage and let's see some real warlocks tear it up.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Y.O.B sucks. come on now, get off the stage and let's see some real warlocks tear it up.
sscheitel
02-01-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulwyf View Post
Devil horns.
Thank you :)
Old 02-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulwyf View Post
Devil horns.
Thank you :)
gadzooked1
02-01-2012, 07:38 PM

I know a few people that work at the hotel, I'll be interested to hear what they have to say. I have heard that this appearance at Mohegan and tour scheduling coincided with the wine fest they had there over the weekend (one of the largest in the US). And ol' Nardo was douching it up all over it.
I found it odd in Boston that Maynard only acknowledged Danny and then bailed, fast. When I saw him with APC this summer, I thought him and Billy were going to blow each other.
Prepare yourself Tool fans. I fully expect this to be the last album and last touring cycle. I mean, do you really see Maynard trying to belt this shit out at 55 years old? It's been a great ride, savour it to the end.
And for all you people complaining about the sound are WAY fucking off. The only other acts I have seen that spread the sound over the arena as well are Roger Waters and the Foo Fighters.
It doesn't get much better than that folks.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #29
Level 4 - Thinker

I know a few people that work at the hotel, I'll be interested to hear what they have to say. I have heard that this appearance at Mohegan and tour scheduling coincided with the wine fest they had there over the weekend (one of the largest in the US). And ol' Nardo was douching it up all over it.
I found it odd in Boston that Maynard only acknowledged Danny and then bailed, fast. When I saw him with APC this summer, I thought him and Billy were going to blow each other.
Prepare yourself Tool fans. I fully expect this to be the last album and last touring cycle. I mean, do you really see Maynard trying to belt this shit out at 55 years old? It's been a great ride, savour it to the end.
And for all you people complaining about the sound are WAY fucking off. The only other acts I have seen that spread the sound over the arena as well are Roger Waters and the Foo Fighters.
It doesn't get much better than that folks.
Toolgrrrrl13's Avatar Toolgrrrrl13
02-01-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strong_zo View Post
isn't that how he's always been though, kinda anti-social and standoffish plus he toured with apc before this and i think he did some dates with puscifer and he's goin out again with them after the tool tour, the guy is getting on in age and doing a ton, i don't know how he does it, maybe he's just tired :)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #30
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
isn't that how he's always been though, kinda anti-social and standoffish plus he toured with apc before this and i think he did some dates with puscifer and he's goin out again with them after the tool tour, the guy is getting on in age and doing a ton, i don't know how he does it, maybe he's just tired :)
RoadRage7
02-02-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Maynard has done this for years. Nothing new. You can look at it as if he's distancing from the band or he's giving the rest of the band their props for kicking ass and taking the limelight off himself. I place my money on the latter.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 AM   #31
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Maynard has done this for years. Nothing new. You can look at it as if he's distancing from the band or he's giving the rest of the band their props for kicking ass and taking the limelight off himself. I place my money on the latter.
Awakened1
02-02-2012, 06:44 AM

sometimes people complain because they have nothing better to do, raise your consciousness, enjoy this experience for what it is and be present in the NOW while at the live shows....
Old 02-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #32
Level 2 - Poster

sometimes people complain because they have nothing better to do, raise your consciousness, enjoy this experience for what it is and be present in the NOW while at the live shows....
JasonLang
02-02-2012, 08:03 AM

This was my second time seeing them. First time was in Columbus, OH in 2001(?). This venue was a far better place to see the show. I was in the bowl to the right of the stage as you look at it and a stones-throw (FYI, I throw stones further than most) back towards the curve in the arena. I could see everyone on stage very clearly. Some of the lasers and screens were blocked by the rather long speakers hanging from the ceiling, but I'd take the seat anytime. Vocals were pretty good with some muffling that would be expected from the loudness of everyone else involved in making the music come alive. I really enjoyed the setlist and from what I could tell, everyone around me was grooving to it as well. That's one thing that I took away from this show. There was a 50-something behind me with his son, a guy in his 60's rocking out a few rows away, some drunk 20 something girls rocking out two rows behind, and a son and his mom in the van ride over to the casino going to the show together. They really cross all boundaries and they are to be commended. I was so pleased that I could be a part of the evening. Thank You all for making it a great evening, I appreciate it! That includes all you fellow fans that were there. If this is the last time I get to see them, I could pass-on knowing that I got to witness one of the most artistic rock bands ever to be assembled.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #33
Level 4 - Thinker

This was my second time seeing them. First time was in Columbus, OH in 2001(?). This venue was a far better place to see the show. I was in the bowl to the right of the stage as you look at it and a stones-throw (FYI, I throw stones further than most) back towards the curve in the arena. I could see everyone on stage very clearly. Some of the lasers and screens were blocked by the rather long speakers hanging from the ceiling, but I'd take the seat anytime. Vocals were pretty good with some muffling that would be expected from the loudness of everyone else involved in making the music come alive. I really enjoyed the setlist and from what I could tell, everyone around me was grooving to it as well. That's one thing that I took away from this show. There was a 50-something behind me with his son, a guy in his 60's rocking out a few rows away, some drunk 20 something girls rocking out two rows behind, and a son and his mom in the van ride over to the casino going to the show together. They really cross all boundaries and they are to be commended. I was so pleased that I could be a part of the evening. Thank You all for making it a great evening, I appreciate it! That includes all you fellow fans that were there. If this is the last time I get to see them, I could pass-on knowing that I got to witness one of the most artistic rock bands ever to be assembled.
Toolantie
02-02-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I have been a Tool fan since 1993. My nickname in high school was ToolGirl. I have emailed with Kabir on here in the mid 90's. 1/28/12 was my birthday and my 6th Tool concert - it was amazing. I was sad to miss the Mohegan show. They are without a doubt my favorite band. The music (vocals included) that they create resonates within me as if it is echoing something already within my soul. Despite this amazing and long time connection, being a Tool fan is complicated and counterintuitive, as song lyrics and themes (I suppose generally presented by Maynard) tell us we are lambs following the masses to be such devote fans. However, I digress...

I am completely and utterly fed up with Maynard's pretentious attitude toward humanity, fans and even his own band mates. I wonder why they would even stay at the same hotel if this is true? Also, I am not sure Maynard would have a lovely vineyard and ability to play around with side projects if it were not for the success of the band - Tool. Maybe Maynard should just Spiral Out?!

Last edited by Toolantie; 02-02-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
I have been a Tool fan since 1993. My nickname in high school was ToolGirl. I have emailed with Kabir on here in the mid 90's. 1/28/12 was my birthday and my 6th Tool concert - it was amazing. I was sad to miss the Mohegan show. They are without a doubt my favorite band. The music (vocals included) that they create resonates within me as if it is echoing something already within my soul. Despite this amazing and long time connection, being a Tool fan is complicated and counterintuitive, as song lyrics and themes (I suppose generally presented by Maynard) tell us we are lambs following the masses to be such devote fans. However, I digress...

I am completely and utterly fed up with Maynard's pretentious attitude toward humanity, fans and even his own band mates. I wonder why they would even stay at the same hotel if this is true? Also, I am not sure Maynard would have a lovely vineyard and ability to play around with side projects if it were not for the success of the band - Tool. Maybe Maynard should just Spiral Out?!

Last edited by Toolantie; 02-02-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Toolantie
02-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Agreed 110%

Last edited by Toolantie; 02-02-2012 at 10:08 AM..
Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Agreed 110%

Last edited by Toolantie; 02-02-2012 at 10:08 AM..
junior
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Breaking my silence this once as to clarify something.
This post was brought to my attention, so I'm going to respond to it, as I can see it is already being spread as "fact" just because 1 person said they "heard something".
I realize this is not a review, but I'm hoping it can be allowed to stand as the source seems like the best place to offer this info.

There are several flaws to this story:

1) the band have been staying in NYC since after the Boston show and have not had hotels at or near the venues this past week while in the Northeast. The crew and associated busses would have been the only ones near Mohegan Sun.

2) the band don't use their real names at hotels, so the GM wouldn't be instructed as to who "Maynard" is, nor "Adam", "Danny", and "Justin".

3) the idea of using hotel employees to keep the band separated is absurd. They're adults, not rival gangs. If they were really having a problem like this the bands management would simply put them in different hotels. It's unrealistic.

4) Maynard hasn't travelled by bus since around 2007. I believe he's talked about that in an interview, in that he has trouble sleeping on a bus and prefers to fly from city to city. So, separating the buses is out.

Last edited by junior; 02-02-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Old 02-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #36
Level 8 - Vociferous

Quote:

This post was brought to my attention, so I'm going to respond to it, as I can see it is already being spread as "fact" just because 1 person said they "heard something".
I realize this is not a review, but I'm hoping it can be allowed to stand as the source seems like the best place to offer this info.

There are several flaws to this story:

1) the band have been staying in NYC since after the Boston show and have not had hotels at or near the venues this past week while in the Northeast. The crew and associated busses would have been the only ones near Mohegan Sun.

2) the band don't use their real names at hotels, so the GM wouldn't be instructed as to who "Maynard" is, nor "Adam", "Danny", and "Justin".

3) the idea of using hotel employees to keep the band separated is absurd. They're adults, not rival gangs. If they were really having a problem like this the bands management would simply put them in different hotels. It's unrealistic.

4) Maynard hasn't travelled by bus since around 2007. I believe he's talked about that in an interview, in that he has trouble sleeping on a bus and prefers to fly from city to city. So, separating the buses is out.

Last edited by junior; 02-02-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Dick Gosinya's Avatar Dick Gosinya
02-02-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Woo hoo...a voice of reason!!!!!!!. Thanks for posting.
05 16 07 Ft. Worth TCCC, 07 25 09 Dallas AAC, 01 20 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 01 21 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 10 31 15 Tempe Lakes Monster Mash, 01 14 16 Houston Toyota Center, 01 17 16 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater,
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #37
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Woo hoo...a voice of reason!!!!!!!. Thanks for posting.
05 16 07 Ft. Worth TCCC, 07 25 09 Dallas AAC, 01 20 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 01 21 12 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater, 10 31 15 Tempe Lakes Monster Mash, 01 14 16 Houston Toyota Center, 01 17 16 Grand Prairie Verizon Theater,
Jlawton
02-02-2012, 12:03 PM

This was my first Tool show and my god I don't think I can accurately describe it through text.
I wasn't following what they played at other shows but I couldn;t have asked for more. The energy was through the roof, not in a cranked up way (aside from some people holding the balcony rails and swinging their bodies back and forth over them during stinkfist..) but some other way i cant really describe. I usually play intension when i cant sleep and it pretty much put me in a trance, especially with that massive flat wavy laser... Lateralus also left me speechless.
Ænema is my favorite song so I practically pissed my pants when it came on, and the way that energy and emotion could be felt during the softer parts was amazing, with everyone singing along, and the lights were really stunning too. I would never have guessed how crazy this concert was gonna be, and i was really pleasantly surprised in all aspects. It was also the first time i'd been at a show where people were showing the devil horns, it's great to be part of that. I really still cant accurately describe all my feelings form that night, awesome isnt quite good enough.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first Tool show and my god I don't think I can accurately describe it through text.
I wasn't following what they played at other shows but I couldn;t have asked for more. The energy was through the roof, not in a cranked up way (aside from some people holding the balcony rails and swinging their bodies back and forth over them during stinkfist..) but some other way i cant really describe. I usually play intension when i cant sleep and it pretty much put me in a trance, especially with that massive flat wavy laser... Lateralus also left me speechless.
Ænema is my favorite song so I practically pissed my pants when it came on, and the way that energy and emotion could be felt during the softer parts was amazing, with everyone singing along, and the lights were really stunning too. I would never have guessed how crazy this concert was gonna be, and i was really pleasantly surprised in all aspects. It was also the first time i'd been at a show where people were showing the devil horns, it's great to be part of that. I really still cant accurately describe all my feelings form that night, awesome isnt quite good enough.
Bigda4372
02-02-2012, 01:46 PM

So, have been a TOOL fan since 1993, not quite OGT, but long enough. Been lurking for awhile and thought I'd post. I was at this show, 6th or so I can remember since "The Meadows" in '97. Interesting to see Maynard's transition from 1/2 white 1/2 blue in heels and a pony tail wig, to a shadow, but to each his own. As for the show, I loved it, but it's TOOL and I would love it regardless. I sat in the middle of the floor. Light/ lasers were awesome. Could feel Danny's Drums most of the night. Certainly not a flawless performance by the band, but again, I would still love it. Security was a little overboard as I hate flashlights in my face when I am trying to watch a show. I was lucky I am a "local" as I had a friend get me comp tickets which is where it looks like all the floor seats went. Hooker & Pushit were personal favorites from this show. Had a good chuckle at how amazed the kids next to me were that I had seen them in '97, when they were 5, but I remember being the same way about people who had seen Led Zeppelin. One of my favorite things about this band and the experience in general is seeing everyone's interpretation of the band, their actions, and particularly Maynard. So might as well throw in mine. If you look at the obvious, his lyrics, his actions, and at points his straight out words, YES Maynard probably hates you, the TOOL fan. He calls you dipshit, a tick, a leech, a sheep, he loves to make you say yes, just because he can. He walks off stage without acknowledgement to the thousands of fans who are there to see TOOL. He goes through a 2 hour show without saying a personal word. He leaves songs off the setlist, he leaves words out of songs. Here's the thing, you all knew this before this show. I knew it. I thought about wearing a shirt that simply said "Baaaahhhh". I am a sheep and I know it. But, I would not have it any other way. I know what I am going to see when I go to a show. Awesome music and a great performance of music that I truly love. I know I might have to pay more then I want for a "good" ticket. I know if I don't buy the ticket hundreds of others would be willing to. I don't necessarily know for sure, but I have a good feeling that Justin, Adam, and Danny are glad the fans come out and support the band and will thank us at the end. I know Maynard probably wont. But I know it and it is what it is. As for the music? It means what it means to me, and no one can change that. I wish people would realize that more often. I mean how can someone tell you what something means to you, regardless of ,lyrics or what it means to anyone else in the world, including the writer? This band is what it is and I think they are awesome and I love the music. If they tour, I will go, and if they put it out there for sale, I will probably buy it. But I realize that I am buying the music, not a personal relationship with the band. I don't take Maynard personally, as for my earlier comment I think he may hate "me" on a general level, but he doesn't hate me personally as he doesn't even know me, I don't think, nor do I really care. At the same time I think he can probably still sleep (meditate? hibernate?) without knowing how I feel about him one way or the other. Sorry if this post is more non review then review, but it's how it came out. Thanks for the show, I hope you all got what you were looking for from it. (P.S. Maybe he loves us all and just has a bad way of showing it . . .)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

So, have been a TOOL fan since 1993, not quite OGT, but long enough. Been lurking for awhile and thought I'd post. I was at this show, 6th or so I can remember since "The Meadows" in '97. Interesting to see Maynard's transition from 1/2 white 1/2 blue in heels and a pony tail wig, to a shadow, but to each his own. As for the show, I loved it, but it's TOOL and I would love it regardless. I sat in the middle of the floor. Light/ lasers were awesome. Could feel Danny's Drums most of the night. Certainly not a flawless performance by the band, but again, I would still love it. Security was a little overboard as I hate flashlights in my face when I am trying to watch a show. I was lucky I am a "local" as I had a friend get me comp tickets which is where it looks like all the floor seats went. Hooker & Pushit were personal favorites from this show. Had a good chuckle at how amazed the kids next to me were that I had seen them in '97, when they were 5, but I remember being the same way about people who had seen Led Zeppelin. One of my favorite things about this band and the experience in general is seeing everyone's interpretation of the band, their actions, and particularly Maynard. So might as well throw in mine. If you look at the obvious, his lyrics, his actions, and at points his straight out words, YES Maynard probably hates you, the TOOL fan. He calls you dipshit, a tick, a leech, a sheep, he loves to make you say yes, just because he can. He walks off stage without acknowledgement to the thousands of fans who are there to see TOOL. He goes through a 2 hour show without saying a personal word. He leaves songs off the setlist, he leaves words out of songs. Here's the thing, you all knew this before this show. I knew it. I thought about wearing a shirt that simply said "Baaaahhhh". I am a sheep and I know it. But, I would not have it any other way. I know what I am going to see when I go to a show. Awesome music and a great performance of music that I truly love. I know I might have to pay more then I want for a "good" ticket. I know if I don't buy the ticket hundreds of others would be willing to. I don't necessarily know for sure, but I have a good feeling that Justin, Adam, and Danny are glad the fans come out and support the band and will thank us at the end. I know Maynard probably wont. But I know it and it is what it is. As for the music? It means what it means to me, and no one can change that. I wish people would realize that more often. I mean how can someone tell you what something means to you, regardless of ,lyrics or what it means to anyone else in the world, including the writer? This band is what it is and I think they are awesome and I love the music. If they tour, I will go, and if they put it out there for sale, I will probably buy it. But I realize that I am buying the music, not a personal relationship with the band. I don't take Maynard personally, as for my earlier comment I think he may hate "me" on a general level, but he doesn't hate me personally as he doesn't even know me, I don't think, nor do I really care. At the same time I think he can probably still sleep (meditate? hibernate?) without knowing how I feel about him one way or the other. Sorry if this post is more non review then review, but it's how it came out. Thanks for the show, I hope you all got what you were looking for from it. (P.S. Maybe he loves us all and just has a bad way of showing it . . .)
Sven77
02-02-2012, 09:38 PM

I have seen Tool a couple of times. My first show was in the early 90's at Strand Theatre in Providence RI, with Failure opening for them. Tried to get two tickets together the day they went on sale and it was impossible. I hate ticketmaster and stubhub. Bought a ticket the day before the show. Mohegan Sun is a great venue ! Easy to navigate to and FREE parking. seat was in Section 23 and I wore earplugs. opening band tried but i went to get beers. t-shirts were 40-50$, terrible. show started and I immediately smelled someone smoking weed. many security were nice, kinda busy bodies keeping the fans from recording show. Couple of fans were falling down drunks.
Tool is one of my top 3 bands and after seeing some utube videos i knew i had to go.
Im sure Danny is some sort of unstoppable cyborg drumming machine. He was the main reason I went. I love all the music that Maynard creates. I saw him with APC this summer so I wasnt suprised to see him in the shadows again, wearing the same police outfit, mohawk and night stick this time. Voice volume was kinna low but the music sounded great. I realize MJK is not gonna have a spot light and do a moonwalk across the stage so I was glad to see an amazing Laser show. Asteroids arcade game on the screens for intermission. Im sure MJK has made millions with his bands and doesnt need to create new music or tour, but im happy he still does. Fave songs were 46&2, Schism, and Lateralus. Dreaming of a new CD release.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

I have seen Tool a couple of times. My first show was in the early 90's at Strand Theatre in Providence RI, with Failure opening for them. Tried to get two tickets together the day they went on sale and it was impossible. I hate ticketmaster and stubhub. Bought a ticket the day before the show. Mohegan Sun is a great venue ! Easy to navigate to and FREE parking. seat was in Section 23 and I wore earplugs. opening band tried but i went to get beers. t-shirts were 40-50$, terrible. show started and I immediately smelled someone smoking weed. many security were nice, kinda busy bodies keeping the fans from recording show. Couple of fans were falling down drunks.
Tool is one of my top 3 bands and after seeing some utube videos i knew i had to go.
Im sure Danny is some sort of unstoppable cyborg drumming machine. He was the main reason I went. I love all the music that Maynard creates. I saw him with APC this summer so I wasnt suprised to see him in the shadows again, wearing the same police outfit, mohawk and night stick this time. Voice volume was kinna low but the music sounded great. I realize MJK is not gonna have a spot light and do a moonwalk across the stage so I was glad to see an amazing Laser show. Asteroids arcade game on the screens for intermission. Im sure MJK has made millions with his bands and doesnt need to create new music or tour, but im happy he still does. Fave songs were 46&2, Schism, and Lateralus. Dreaming of a new CD release.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply