PDA

View Full Version : The magic words translated

tha_phenom
01-25-2004, 12:16 AM
Well sort of.

Let's assume for now that since this Simsalabimbamba Saladu Saladim is German. I did a quick search and found what appears to be a children's riddle or something similar to:

http://320092414498.bei.t-online.de/site/lieder/aufeinembaum.htm

Translated to English:

On a tree a cuckoo,
Simsalabimbamba Saladu Saladim,
on a tree a cuckoo sat.

There came a young hunter,
there came a young hunter's man.

He shot the poor cuckoo,
he shot dead the poor cuckoo.

However, as a year last,
however, when a year had passed.

There the cuckoo was again,
there the cuckoo was again there.

I tried several online translators and nothing came up for our magic words. So I tried other languages and the only stuff that came up was when I did a Latin check:

Sim - If I may be/If I am
Sal - Salt/brine/sea/wit

Of course this magic term could be just made up but I still wanna make sure. Might have to dig deep into some ancient literature but nonetheless I thought this was cool.

IcaLynn
09-16-2006, 10:56 AM
i googled the words, this is what i got

German to English translations [PRO]
unspecified
German term or phrase: Simsalbimbamba Saladu Saladim
tool song
satan

English translation:not translatable!
See the reference below

--------------------------------------------------
Note added at 2002-07-03 07:00:07 (GMT)

I suppose the closest equivalent is \"abracadabra\"

Note added at 2002-07-03 07:01:03 (GMT)

BTW it comes from \"Die Eier von Satan\", quite appropriate considering your name!!

i cant remember on which album, but Bill Hicks appologizes for something and he said the "magic words." in the song, simsalabim blahblahblah are the magic words.
we all know that AEnima was for Bill Hicks, mostly.

donjuanpedro
09-16-2006, 12:14 PM
it's one of those old sayings.

Terry21
09-16-2006, 12:50 PM
It means nothing. We say "abrakadabra simsalabim" for some kind of magic spell, that actually is no magic. There is the card, simsalabim, now it's away. It surely has no significance in this track.

IcaLynn
09-22-2006, 07:26 AM
ok, i found the nursery rhyme:]
Auf einem Baum ein Kuckuck, -
Sim sa la dim, bam ba,
Sa la du, sa la dim -
Auf einem Baum ein Kuckuck saß.
2. Da kam ein junger Jäger, -
Sim sa la dim, bam ba,
Sa la du, sa la dim -
Da kam ein junger Jägersmann.

3. Der schoß den armen Kuckuck, -
Sim sa la dim, bam ba,
Sa la du, sa la dim -
Der schoß den armen Kuckuck tot.

4. Und als ein Jahr vergangen, -
Sim sa la dim, bam ba,
Sa la du, sa la dim -
Und als ein Jahr vergangen war.

5. Da war der Kuckuck wieder, -
Sim sa la dim, bam ba,
Sa la du, sa la dim -
Da war der Kuckuck wieder (rasch gesprochen)lebendig.

6. Da freuten sich die Leute,
Sim sa la dim, bam ba,
Sa la du, sa la dim -
Da freuten sich die Leute sehr.

in english:
On a tree a cuckoo, - Sim sowed la dim, bam ba, sowed la you, sowed la dim - on a tree a cuckoo sat. 2. There
a young hunter came came, - Sim sowed la dim, bam ba, sowed la you, sowed la dim - there a young hunter man.

3. that shot shot the poor cuckoo, - Sim sowed la dim, bam ba, sowed la you, sowed la dim - that the poor
cuckoo dead.

4. And as a year passed passed was, - Sim sowed la dim, bam ba, sowed la you, sowed la dim - and as a year.

5. There the cuckoo was quickly was spoken again, - Sim sowed la dim, bam ba, sowed la you, sowed la dim -
there the cuckoo again (alive.

6. There the people, Sim were happy sowed la dim, bam ba, sowed la you, sowed la dim - there were happy the
people very.

...aww. poor cuckoo

...nothing to do with hicks...unless hicks knew what it meant and the band didnt...hm...

Solaris
10-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Why have you translated the "Sa" in the magic words with "sowed"?

Line from a dictionary (English-German): sow: 1.) säen, ausstreuen ; 2.) verstreuen, verbreiten

Sowed is the past form of sow, right? If I'm right, then the German word for "sowed" would be: 1.) gesät, ausgestreut; or 2.) verstreut, verbreitet.

There is no German word "Sa", so you can't translate it.

wingsforRosetta420
10-07-2006, 10:25 PM
i really think die eir von satan is nothing more than one of tool's many jokes, and youre digging too deep into the wrong song. 46&two however, goes very deep.

fretforyourfigure462
10-09-2006, 03:48 PM
i really think die eir von satan is nothing more than one of tool's many jokes, and youre digging too deep into the wrong song. 46&two however, goes very deep.

Agreed.

mjkajdcjc
10-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I thought everyone here knew that it was just a recipe for "The Eggs of Satan" in German. This is exactly like "Disgustipated", which freaks you out when you have no reason to be scared. A beautiful mind-fuck of a song.

Solaris
12-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I thought everyone here knew that it was just a recipe for "The Eggs of Satan" in German. This is exactly like "Disgustipated", which freaks you out when you have no reason to be scared. A beautiful mind-fuck of a song.

This is not exactly like Disgustipated. Disgustipated has a lot more meaning.