Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
arctopia
11-20-2007, 04:44 PM

Firstly, I’d like to thank Tool for introducing the phrase “Rosetta Stoned”. Regardless of any debate that surrounds the meaning of this track, the phrase perfectly describes the phenomenon whereby one has some kind of epiphany when stoned and it is either just nonsense or else can’t be explained and so may as well be nonsense.

Eg.
“Hey, what’s that guy babbling about?”
“Don’t mind him. He’s just rosetta stoned”

Secondly, I have experienced exactly this kind of thing and it is maddening. I had been inhaling Nitrous Oxide. Disclaimer: Apparently quite dangerous and I do not recommend this kind of thing to others! Anyway, the sensation that NO2 imparts is one of a rapidly accelerating vibration. I used to always fight against it as it was pretty intense. One time I decided to surf that sucker right into the eye of the storm and hopefully come out the other side. Sure enough, by relaxing into it I found that the vibration just got faster and faster until it finally approached what felt like a limit. I had pretty profound vision pertaining to quantum physics and the relationship between energy and matter. It went on to reveal the way in which the universe condensed into an irregular form and how other dimensions may exist. Sure enough, when I came to, I immediately tried to explain all of this to the people in the room – no one was really buying it. I have tried to get it into words on several other occasions; almost always resulting in disaster and some really strange looks. Not being a quantum physicist, I was unable to write it down. But, it was so real….
Old 11-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
I have been rosetta stoned

Firstly, I’d like to thank Tool for introducing the phrase “Rosetta Stoned”. Regardless of any debate that surrounds the meaning of this track, the phrase perfectly describes the phenomenon whereby one has some kind of epiphany when stoned and it is either just nonsense or else can’t be explained and so may as well be nonsense.

Eg.

Secondly, I have experienced exactly this kind of thing and it is maddening. I had been inhaling Nitrous Oxide. Disclaimer: Apparently quite dangerous and I do not recommend this kind of thing to others! Anyway, the sensation that NO2 imparts is one of a rapidly accelerating vibration. I used to always fight against it as it was pretty intense. One time I decided to surf that sucker right into the eye of the storm and hopefully come out the other side. Sure enough, by relaxing into it I found that the vibration just got faster and faster until it finally approached what felt like a limit. I had pretty profound vision pertaining to quantum physics and the relationship between energy and matter. It went on to reveal the way in which the universe condensed into an irregular form and how other dimensions may exist. Sure enough, when I came to, I immediately tried to explain all of this to the people in the room – no one was really buying it. I have tried to get it into words on several other occasions; almost always resulting in disaster and some really strange looks. Not being a quantum physicist, I was unable to write it down. But, it was so real….
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Petroze
11-20-2007, 05:49 PM

Like that time Dave floated away?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: I have been rosetta stoned

Like that time Dave floated away?
11-20-2007, 09:56 PM

I've had similiar experiences with mushrooms. For a breif period of time, you feel like you've got it all figured out, and you wonder why you were ever confused in the first place. Afterwards, its nothing more than a fleeting memory.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Level 7 - Loquacious

I've had similiar experiences with mushrooms. For a breif period of time, you feel like you've got it all figured out, and you wonder why you were ever confused in the first place. Afterwards, its nothing more than a fleeting memory.
slowmo
12-10-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORNING_GLORY View Post
I agree with you. I think your interpretation is close to what Rosetta Stoned is about. I believe a psychedelic can let you observe yourself as part of the collective un-consciousness. When the drug induced psychosis is over, you come back to your conscious individualism, no longer able to grasp the paradigm-it is literally beyond words.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
I agree with you. I think your interpretation is close to what Rosetta Stoned is about. I believe a psychedelic can let you observe yourself as part of the collective un-consciousness. When the drug induced psychosis is over, you come back to your conscious individualism, no longer able to grasp the paradigm-it is literally beyond words.
12-16-2007, 10:00 PM

Hooray for drugs!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
On Probation

Bincount™: 130

Hooray for drugs!
Raskolnikov
01-08-2008, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~*»¤«(Đispositioń)»¤«*~* View Post
Hooray for drugs!

Ditto.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~*»¤«(Đispositioń)»¤«*~* View Post
Hooray for drugs!

Ditto.
01-08-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctopia View Post

Eg.

Very interesting, I've had a very similar experience on the old hippy crack,

alrighty then, picture this if you will,

This was near the end of the Hippy Crack explosion of '06 and new laws were just being introduced so that it could only be sold for whipping cream (lol). A friend and I were bored one night so we went out into a field with a joint and a couple of NOS canisters and balloons. It was a beautifully clear night, and being out in the middle of nowhere, the stars were incredibly bright. We picked a spot near a large tree and sat down to smoke the joint.
Once the joint had been smoked we proceeded to crack into the NOS canisters and huff away on the balloons.
I know exactly what you mean about the 'vibrations' or the 'echoes' as I call them. I decided to try and push through to see how far this trip could go, probably a stupid thing to do, what with the nitrogen narcosis and all, but hey.
So yeah, it got faster and faster, till finally I was blasted through to some kind of nothingness.
Then I became aware of innumerable tiny dots each connected by innumerable tiny red lines.
Slowly this vision receded till the tiny dots/red lines became a spiral like galaxy thing, which as I began 'floating back' down, began to 'copy and paste' and tessellate itself into a pattern that was exactly the same as the pattern behind the first 'galaxy'.
Anyway, this continued as it got more and more complicated, but the initial pattern was always there, lurking in the details.
Then I became aware that the whole thing wasn't static, but was swirling, churning, in one motion.
As the vision became more and more refined I slowly became aware that I was lying on my back staring up into the night sky, and into the swirling branches and foliage of the tree above me. But still the initial pattern remained.
So I lay there for a while listening to my breathing, and a frog croaking in the distance.
Strange.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctopia View Post

Eg.

Very interesting, I've had a very similar experience on the old hippy crack,

alrighty then, picture this if you will,

This was near the end of the Hippy Crack explosion of '06 and new laws were just being introduced so that it could only be sold for whipping cream (lol). A friend and I were bored one night so we went out into a field with a joint and a couple of NOS canisters and balloons. It was a beautifully clear night, and being out in the middle of nowhere, the stars were incredibly bright. We picked a spot near a large tree and sat down to smoke the joint.
Once the joint had been smoked we proceeded to crack into the NOS canisters and huff away on the balloons.
I know exactly what you mean about the 'vibrations' or the 'echoes' as I call them. I decided to try and push through to see how far this trip could go, probably a stupid thing to do, what with the nitrogen narcosis and all, but hey.
So yeah, it got faster and faster, till finally I was blasted through to some kind of nothingness.
Then I became aware of innumerable tiny dots each connected by innumerable tiny red lines.
Slowly this vision receded till the tiny dots/red lines became a spiral like galaxy thing, which as I began 'floating back' down, began to 'copy and paste' and tessellate itself into a pattern that was exactly the same as the pattern behind the first 'galaxy'.
Anyway, this continued as it got more and more complicated, but the initial pattern was always there, lurking in the details.
Then I became aware that the whole thing wasn't static, but was swirling, churning, in one motion.
As the vision became more and more refined I slowly became aware that I was lying on my back staring up into the night sky, and into the swirling branches and foliage of the tree above me. But still the initial pattern remained.
So I lay there for a while listening to my breathing, and a frog croaking in the distance.
Strange.
01-26-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Ive never done mushrooms, but I know that feeling from when I was a teenage stoner. like walking home at night from a friends stoned out my tree but thinking about things with pure clarity, but yeah it passes. I always wondered though if I was actually right about things in these moments or whether it was just the pot messing with my thoughts.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 11

Quote:
Ive never done mushrooms, but I know that feeling from when I was a teenage stoner. like walking home at night from a friends stoned out my tree but thinking about things with pure clarity, but yeah it passes. I always wondered though if I was actually right about things in these moments or whether it was just the pot messing with my thoughts.
Nikeda-Taylor
01-27-2008, 12:21 PM

Um, why do you do this? I have expiereinced a similar feeling but, i wasn't on drugs at all. I was just listening to the song for the 2nd or 3rd time. I started to twitch uncontollably and i was shaking like a rabbit. I was basically out of my mind for the entire song..when it was over, i was just lying there restless, and later passed out to intention. That has only happened once or twice when i heard this song.
Note* I was NOT on drugs when this occurred!!!! I was just being my "crazy self" lol! xp
Old 01-27-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Um, why do you do this? I have expiereinced a similar feeling but, i wasn't on drugs at all. I was just listening to the song for the 2nd or 3rd time. I started to twitch uncontollably and i was shaking like a rabbit. I was basically out of my mind for the entire song..when it was over, i was just lying there restless, and later passed out to intention. That has only happened once or twice when i heard this song.
Note* I was NOT on drugs when this occurred!!!! I was just being my "crazy self" lol! xp
01-28-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeda-Taylor View Post
Sounds like somebody is in desparate need of some meds
Old 01-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeda-Taylor View Post
Sounds like somebody is in desparate need of some meds
03-27-2008, 03:23 AM

yeah...agree with all of you
I've been rosetta stoned on pot before more than once....very inspiring thoughts, sometimes very scary experience but I'm glad I had it....now want to try some hallucigens...maybe SD?
big thanks for coming with that topic and even bigger thanks to Tool for making some things more and more clear to me
Peace
Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

yeah...agree with all of you
I've been rosetta stoned on pot before more than once....very inspiring thoughts, sometimes very scary experience but I'm glad I had it....now want to try some hallucigens...maybe SD?
big thanks for coming with that topic and even bigger thanks to Tool for making some things more and more clear to me
Peace

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply