Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Creativity » Rock & Roll
User Name
Password
adamaynardanny's Avatar adamaynardanny
08-09-2003, 04:36 PM

I was just wondering how much anyone knows about what mics and/or other gadgets Maynard uses in studio and on stage. I was watching the Led Zeppelin DVD recently and I saw Robert Plant using two mics taped together, and this just got me thinking back to seeing Tool live and hearing them play Eulogy. This is an educated guess, but the weird sound during the intro is done by Maynard, is it not? Not the sound Adam does with picking behind the bridge, but the distorted, pitchy notes. What kind of gadget does he use to make that sound? Anyone got any idea?
Old 08-09-2003, 04:36 PM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Maynard's Mics

I was just wondering how much anyone knows about what mics and/or other gadgets Maynard uses in studio and on stage. I was watching the Led Zeppelin DVD recently and I saw Robert Plant using two mics taped together, and this just got me thinking back to seeing Tool live and hearing them play Eulogy. This is an educated guess, but the weird sound during the intro is done by Maynard, is it not? Not the sound Adam does with picking behind the bridge, but the distorted, pitchy notes. What kind of gadget does he use to make that sound? Anyone got any idea?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Paladin's Avatar Paladin
08-10-2003, 06:40 AM

i think its just a megaphone and his amazing voice.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:40 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 1
i think its just a megaphone and his amazing voice.
holy reality's Avatar holy reality
08-10-2003, 09:23 AM

sounds a bit like he has some sort of synth like effect on him
Old 08-10-2003, 09:23 AM   #3
Level 13 - Nothing Can Defeat the Quad Laser

Bincount™: 1129
sounds a bit like he has some sort of synth like effect on him
Marius
08-10-2003, 05:34 PM

In the videos I have, he holds a megaphone-type thing in front of his mic, when doing "Eulogy" live.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
In the videos I have, he holds a megaphone-type thing in front of his mic, when doing "Eulogy" live.
•Hąrbinger•'s Avatar •Hąrbinger•
08-11-2003, 07:39 PM

Mics:

With Tool
- Audix OM-6

With A Perfect Circle
- Beta 57A
- Beta 87 on a radio system (large venues)
Old 08-11-2003, 07:39 PM   #5
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 23
Mics:

With Tool
- Audix OM-6

With A Perfect Circle
- Beta 57A
adamaynardanny's Avatar adamaynardanny
08-22-2003, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Hąrbinger•
Mics:

With Tool
- Audix OM-6

With A Perfect Circle
- Beta 57A
cool, thank you, i don't remeber seeing it in any gear faq's. do you have a link?
Old 08-22-2003, 11:51 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Re: Maynard's Mics

Quote:
Originally Posted by •Hąrbinger•
Mics:

With Tool
- Audix OM-6

With A Perfect Circle
- Beta 57A
cool, thank you, i don't remeber seeing it in any gear faq's. do you have a link?
conical johnson's Avatar conical johnson
08-23-2003, 11:46 AM

Old 08-23-2003, 11:46 AM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 3
08-25-2003, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius
i havent seen that and i have a bootleg version i just watched, he cups his hands over the mics when doing the into part and the rest of the song hes normal
Old 08-25-2003, 06:42 PM   #8

Bincount™: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius
i havent seen that and i have a bootleg version i just watched, he cups his hands over the mics when doing the into part and the rest of the song hes normal
RidetheRhythm
10-06-2006, 01:05 PM

For the live shows does anyone know what type of synth or effects box does he have onstage standing next to him??
Old 10-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
Level 3 - Talker

For the live shows does anyone know what type of synth or effects box does he have onstage standing next to him??
etc43's Avatar etc43
10-07-2006, 05:36 AM

I'm pretty sure what he does is hum notes through the megaphone into the mic...you know how it goes "UH-UH. UH-UH. UH-UH. UH-UH."? I'm pretty sure he's really going, "Uhhhh... Uhhhh... Uhhhh... Uhhhh..." in the same pitch. My guess is that he does this and then quickly turns the megaphone on and off, so that he gets 2 short bursts of the notes he's humming, and they come out distorted by the megaphone. That's just a guess though, because in the studio recording of "Eulogy" I swear I can hear him humming in the background...albeit very very quietly.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:36 AM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

I'm pretty sure what he does is hum notes through the megaphone into the mic...you know how it goes "UH-UH. UH-UH. UH-UH. UH-UH."? I'm pretty sure he's really going, "Uhhhh... Uhhhh... Uhhhh... Uhhhh..." in the same pitch. My guess is that he does this and then quickly turns the megaphone on and off, so that he gets 2 short bursts of the notes he's humming, and they come out distorted by the megaphone. That's just a guess though, because in the studio recording of "Eulogy" I swear I can hear him humming in the background...albeit very very quietly.
10-07-2006, 10:34 PM

i love tool because of what their music means and how complex it is, i think its so awsome that tool can make music with a story behind every song. not just some b.s. that comes out of the top of theirs heads. i hope tool can rock on with another album that everyone can enjoy and rock out to.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

i love tool because of what their music means and how complex it is, i think its so awsome that tool can make music with a story behind every song. not just some b.s. that comes out of the top of theirs heads. i hope tool can rock on with another album that everyone can enjoy and rock out to.
Exarch's Avatar Exarch
10-13-2006, 07:29 AM

I love Tools really deep lyrics aswell, you can spnd ages just contemplating them
See, I know you entertain some kind of eternal life fantasy because you've chosen not to smoke; let me be the first to pop that fucking bubble and send you hurtling back to reality – because you're dead too. And you know what doctors say: "Shit, if only you'd smoked, we'd have the technology to help you. It's you people dying from nothing who are screwed."
- Bill Hicks
Old 10-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #12
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1

I love Tools really deep lyrics aswell, you can spnd ages just contemplating them
See, I know you entertain some kind of eternal life fantasy because you've chosen not to smoke; let me be the first to pop that fucking bubble and send you hurtling back to reality – because you're dead too. And you know what doctors say: "Shit, if only you'd smoked, we'd have the technology to help you. It's you people dying from nothing who are screwed."
- Bill Hicks
resonance.'s Avatar resonance.
10-13-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc43 View Post
Yeah this is correct. You can actually hear it on the album and on live recordings.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:30 AM   #13
amateur alchemist

Bincount™: 3472

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc43 View Post
Yeah this is correct. You can actually hear it on the album and on live recordings.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply