Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
tali's Avatar tali
07-29-2007, 02:00 PM

As I see it, one of two things could have occured within the story:

1) This guy is trippin' balls and none of this actually happened. I, for one, don't believe him.

2) It really happened, and he was the chosen one, but he was never meant to succeed. Forgive the horrible reference but did any of you see Space Jam? Do you remember the moment when those 5 tiny little aliens told Bugs Bunny that they were kidnapping him? Bugs told them that they had to let him and his friends defend themselves, that it was a rule. Well perhaps that is the case in this little narrative. I can see these blue-green aliens sitting around saying, "Intergalactic protocol demands that we must give these humans a chance to defend themselves before we may invade... What are we going to do? Oh, I know! We find the most wacked-out nut-job on the planet, tell him what we're gonna do, and watch him make an ass of himself. How about that guy; wow, he's really fucked up. No one will ever believe him... if he even remembers!"

A chain is only as strong as its weekest link...

That's the way I picture it in my head, anyway.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 39
They chose him?!

As I see it, one of two things could have occured within the story:

1) This guy is trippin' balls and none of this actually happened. I, for one, don't believe him.

2) It really happened, and he was the chosen one, but he was never meant to succeed. Forgive the horrible reference but did any of you see Space Jam? Do you remember the moment when those 5 tiny little aliens told Bugs Bunny that they were kidnapping him? Bugs told them that they had to let him and his friends defend themselves, that it was a rule. Well perhaps that is the case in this little narrative. I can see these blue-green aliens sitting around saying, "Intergalactic protocol demands that we must give these humans a chance to defend themselves before we may invade... What are we going to do? Oh, I know! We find the most wacked-out nut-job on the planet, tell him what we're gonna do, and watch him make an ass of himself. How about that guy; wow, he's really fucked up. No one will ever believe him... if he even remembers!"

A chain is only as strong as its weekest link...

That's the way I picture it in my head, anyway.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Cheesegreater
07-29-2007, 05:05 PM

I too have thought about this. Terrence McKenna once said that a key part to any abduction seems to be that it will always be unbelievable. Maybe they're from a different dimension. Who knows, but he seems to think that you can actually make contact with these entities through a DMT high. No one would ever believe you because you were 'high', but at the same time, if these beings want to stay incognito, maybe visitations through drugs seems to be the best way.

I know what I just said is 'out there man,' and it's not like I believe all that, but it is something to think about if you're into all those metaphysical multidimensional reality concepts.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26
Re: They chose him?!

I too have thought about this. Terrence McKenna once said that a key part to any abduction seems to be that it will always be unbelievable. Maybe they're from a different dimension. Who knows, but he seems to think that you can actually make contact with these entities through a DMT high. No one would ever believe you because you were 'high', but at the same time, if these beings want to stay incognito, maybe visitations through drugs seems to be the best way.

I know what I just said is 'out there man,' and it's not like I believe all that, but it is something to think about if you're into all those metaphysical multidimensional reality concepts.
Overwhelmingly Warm
08-15-2007, 03:41 PM

I think Maynard just used a story about an alien visitation/abduction as a way to express an experience that is unexplainable any other way than a metaphor. He speaks through this character, who is frantic and rambling, after he ingested ecstasy and DMT. "They chose me?!" When you are comboing these drugs, you are choosing yourself to have an insane experience, Maynard just wants to warn us that yes drugs can be a beneficial thing but you don't want to overdo it and shit the bed.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

I think Maynard just used a story about an alien visitation/abduction as a way to express an experience that is unexplainable any other way than a metaphor. He speaks through this character, who is frantic and rambling, after he ingested ecstasy and DMT. "They chose me?!" When you are comboing these drugs, you are choosing yourself to have an insane experience, Maynard just wants to warn us that yes drugs can be a beneficial thing but you don't want to overdo it and shit the bed.
08-15-2007, 04:44 PM

i would say it never happened, completely drug induced
Old 08-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
homer jay

Bincount™: 4656

i would say it never happened, completely drug induced
thezeusanator
08-21-2007, 11:46 AM

I think it is devious of those aleins to do something like that to us, find the moost wacked out guy and then invade, what the fuck are they going to do when they invade kill us all? ( fear ) The aleins have have necer don us any harm, they always help us, we are the ones who use the technology to destroy ourselves and others,a nd we are the ones that are afraid and will not trancend the fight or flight syndrome. well, most of us anyway.

I think we need to take more LSD DMT and so forth, I mean fuck, I would love to experience being rosseta stoned, kinda a religious expereince, dontcha think? You know, with the chanting at the begining and all.

Also I think it is symbolic of what this guy needs to overcome to take the next step in evolution. He needs to know what the stealth bannana means, maybe it is a phallus, maybe it is God, maybe it is something that when he is done with he will slip on? I dunno.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 84

I think it is devious of those aleins to do something like that to us, find the moost wacked out guy and then invade, what the fuck are they going to do when they invade kill us all? ( fear ) The aleins have have necer don us any harm, they always help us, we are the ones who use the technology to destroy ourselves and others,a nd we are the ones that are afraid and will not trancend the fight or flight syndrome. well, most of us anyway.

I think we need to take more LSD DMT and so forth, I mean fuck, I would love to experience being rosseta stoned, kinda a religious expereince, dontcha think? You know, with the chanting at the begining and all.

Also I think it is symbolic of what this guy needs to overcome to take the next step in evolution. He needs to know what the stealth bannana means, maybe it is a phallus, maybe it is God, maybe it is something that when he is done with he will slip on? I dunno.
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
08-22-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezeusanator View Post

...and you're a perfect example of the people this song is mocking.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:

08-22-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy View Post
Why project your self on to me? Because you can't read!

You don't know me. Could you tell me why I am a perfect example? Do you know what the song means? do you hold the absolute in your breast, so you can mock everyone else?

How do you know I'm serious? How do I know you even know what I'm saying at all when you just go buzzzzzzzzz incorrect answer! Your a fool and you eulogize inside becuase of this, you hateful empty sack of bones. noob!
Old 08-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Banned.

Quote:

You don't know me. Could you tell me why I am a perfect example? Do you know what the song means? do you hold the absolute in your breast, so you can mock everyone else?

How do you know I'm serious? How do I know you even know what I'm saying at all when you just go buzzzzzzzzz incorrect answer! Your a fool and you eulogize inside becuase of this, you hateful empty sack of bones. noob!
Inner_Eulogy's Avatar Inner_Eulogy
08-23-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:

I can't read? I beg to differ. The song is calling out the people that are irresponsibly using drugs. It's quite obvious. I'm the noob? Mr/Mrs I've got 150 posts and JUST signed up this year. Not that it accounts to anything as far as I'm concerned. Your sign up date and post count doesn't reflect your knowledge of Tool or common sense (or lack thereof) in my opinion. I'm not a hateful person, I simply called you out as you raved about doing drugs. I'm not being a hypocrite either, I've done many in my life and I know what it's about, I also know that the point they are making with this song is not to miss the big picture. Don't get so fucked up and don't waste so much time with these drugs trying to "enlighten" yourself or you'll miss out on what's important and what the real message is. As he said "it's a message to those who listen and a warning to those who do not". Apparently you don't understand what that meant or simply don't care, either way you've lost your pen and are missing the message.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #8
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135

Quote:

I can't read? I beg to differ. The song is calling out the people that are irresponsibly using drugs. It's quite obvious. I'm the noob? Mr/Mrs I've got 150 posts and JUST signed up this year. Not that it accounts to anything as far as I'm concerned. Your sign up date and post count doesn't reflect your knowledge of Tool or common sense (or lack thereof) in my opinion. I'm not a hateful person, I simply called you out as you raved about doing drugs. I'm not being a hypocrite either, I've done many in my life and I know what it's about, I also know that the point they are making with this song is not to miss the big picture. Don't get so fucked up and don't waste so much time with these drugs trying to "enlighten" yourself or you'll miss out on what's important and what the real message is. As he said "it's a message to those who listen and a warning to those who do not". Apparently you don't understand what that meant or simply don't care, either way you've lost your pen and are missing the message.
08-23-2007, 11:00 AM

Basically.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

Basically.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
thezeusanator
08-23-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I didn't rave about drugs, Bill Hicks did. I think they are , helpful to trancend yourself after being programed intp this culture, the drugs help. People who suffer from mental illnesses are prescribed drugs everyday because our culture binds them and keeps them from really existing as anything apart from a bolt in the machine. The song is about a guys experience with these drugs,and I think it is beautiful. You do know that in aboriginal cultures thay use psychedelic drugs to go into trance states and contact the spirits, Shamans for instance. Well we have here a Modern Day Shaman comunicating with the spirits (aliens). What do you think the chanting at the begining is about? It is a spirirtual song about a guy lossing his shit and being reborn (ie. skull/fetus pic.) a constant them on this album.

The message: Take more LSD, DMT, etc. and get back to experinceing your psyche first hand if you are not afraid. A warning of the death and rebirth of this planet ie. the 2012 reference at the end of the track, encased in it's length, 11:11. I know you don't get this and think that I am you when you used drugs, but I'm not, and I hardly ever drink or do anything. No Pot whatsoever. I do use psychedelics occasionally and they are wonderful in my opinion. I don't use them for enlightenment, thats what meditation is for and reading and loving.

I am sorry to have called you a noob, but I knew it matter to you, or you wouldn't have replied to it first. You picked out one thing I said and blew it out of porportion based on what? The guy is not i his right mind, but he is the one bringing the message you seem to get, and he's the example. So, just get of my case and actually discuss something instead of leaving clever one liners.

ps. I do care.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
Banned.

Quote:
I didn't rave about drugs, Bill Hicks did. I think they are , helpful to trancend yourself after being programed intp this culture, the drugs help. People who suffer from mental illnesses are prescribed drugs everyday because our culture binds them and keeps them from really existing as anything apart from a bolt in the machine. The song is about a guys experience with these drugs,and I think it is beautiful. You do know that in aboriginal cultures thay use psychedelic drugs to go into trance states and contact the spirits, Shamans for instance. Well we have here a Modern Day Shaman comunicating with the spirits (aliens). What do you think the chanting at the begining is about? It is a spirirtual song about a guy lossing his shit and being reborn (ie. skull/fetus pic.) a constant them on this album.

The message: Take more LSD, DMT, etc. and get back to experinceing your psyche first hand if you are not afraid. A warning of the death and rebirth of this planet ie. the 2012 reference at the end of the track, encased in it's length, 11:11. I know you don't get this and think that I am you when you used drugs, but I'm not, and I hardly ever drink or do anything. No Pot whatsoever. I do use psychedelics occasionally and they are wonderful in my opinion. I don't use them for enlightenment, thats what meditation is for and reading and loving.

I am sorry to have called you a noob, but I knew it matter to you, or you wouldn't have replied to it first. You picked out one thing I said and blew it out of porportion based on what? The guy is not i his right mind, but he is the one bringing the message you seem to get, and he's the example. So, just get of my case and actually discuss something instead of leaving clever one liners.

ps. I do care.
thezeusanator
08-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parables in the world View Post
Basically.
no
Old 08-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
Banned.