opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Lateralus » 12. Triad
User Name
Password
Old 08-04-2003, 11:17 PM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 1
background noises

has anybody noticed all the noise going on in the background of this song?

Elaborate:
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:54 PM   #2
dsl
Banned.

Bincount™: 1278
Background noise? Triad always seemed like nothing but noises (well put together, not random)...so for there to really be a background doesn't there have to be a foreground? Goddammit...now I got to listen to the song all over again!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:30 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: background noises

Quote:
Originally Posted by debaser
has anybody noticed all the noise going on in the background of this song?

Elaborate:
yes, indeed. the sounds are of banging and clanking metal. I imagine huge machines (presses and whatnot, with sparks flying all over the place). If you look on the back of the CD case (if you don't own it, stop being an ass and buy it), it says "Machines∙Static" on the dot on the line for "Triad." For some reason, I always pictured this song as a decension into hell and these noises were part of the experience. I guess that interpretation is for another post.

Anyways, yes the sounds are there and I think they add a cool element to the beginning of the song. My question is, when do they stop?
Old 10-19-2004, 06:00 AM   #4
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 26

I Always wondered about that "machine:static" thing.
Although this is jus atmospheric tool used by the band i think (the noises)
heh, u see what i did there.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:01 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

As I listened to this song more, I noticed that the machine noises stop at 2:53/2:54. This is right when Adam finished the opening solo and the band starts to play the main riff to the song. But I also noticed that there are a ton more background noises. I hear (starting at 2:58) a "scream" that is repeated pretty regularly in the background [2:58, 3:05, 3:25, 3:33 (this one differs a little), 3:49-3:54 (about once every second), 3:57, 4:00]. The last repetitions (3:49-3:54, 3:47, 4:00) are a shorter version of the "scream." Maybe this is what made me think of hell.
After this part, there is the obvious synth part playing the three note phrase. It fades in around 4:17. The machine noises are back too. They begin around 4:33 and become more frequent until 5:22 (check your left headphone). The machine noises take prominence again at 5:22 and are similar to the beginning noises until they fade out about at 6:06. It might be hard to decipher Danny's snare from these noises, but they are definitely separate noises. And to be fair, no I don't think the song fades out, just the noises. The music clearly stops, and the song continues.

I've heard this before as well (not so much this time): a noise that pans from left to right. I ususally only hear it when listening to the CD on my stereo in 5.1. It's in the back speakers going left to right, right to left and sounds like a rattle but through a wah. Maybe it's just picked up from Adam's guitar effects. I can start to hear it around 3:36 until 4:05... Maybe it's a third guitar or noise or some effect's feedback or something, but I hear it.

Anyways, I'm don't ranting for now.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: