opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Videos » Sober
User Name
Password
Old 11-19-2002, 06:34 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
The short glimpses of the members fits them well.

They are veiwed mysterious by the publich and the only marketed video that has the band members in it, (well they could of been in some of the others, in really thick makeup? but i doubt it.) they are only shown in 1 second faded glimps of them, really in the "groove"

Just inhances the whole magic of Tool.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:20 AM   #2
i am jack's shattered dreams (tdn $upporter)

when i first saw the video...before i started to listen to Tool, it really got my attention due to the originality....but i wanted to see the band... and when it shows that one shot of them playing, my thoughts were like "wow...they're going nuts...thats so awesome!!"

and i also think the glimpse of them going nuts is sort of a tease by them....like "come to our shows and you can see more"

"some people don't even think i'm a robot, they think im puerto rican and just really good at math."- Sad Bot
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 06:53 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

It's certainly a change from seeing them naked in the video for "Hush".

I don't think their presence in the video really means anything, but that's just me. The whole metaphor about the unconscious seems like it works.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:06 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

well i dont think their presence has anything do with the message of the video.

Maybe they just wanted to be in their video.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:49 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

ok...where is this shot of all them playing? all i see is blurry images of danny at one point... and very briefly...
Old 11-20-2002, 04:00 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

it shows them all,

maynard is twirling his crazily

Adam comes in with his guitar and flashes quickly up it

and Paul is just playing away. who can you miss it. It thee only nonanimated thing the video.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:23 AM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6
Don't they appear at the end of the video too? Who's that shaking in the corner?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:10 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I just watched the video again. You do see all of them at the begining, breifly adn bluredly, as the camera moves through the shadowy cooridor. Danny's there too, hitting away on his drums. What that means i'm not exacly sure, but it seemed more meaniful than just random interprersions(sp) of them throughout the video.

But at the end, there is more than one person, freaking out (like the animated charecter), but i can't figure out who they are. One of them has long hair and a long face, the second (the crouching one) has an almost shaved head. The third (the 'arm guy') also has short hair, black, a bit longer, like a crew cut.
one of them looks kinda of like justin, the one with the shaved head, but of course justin wasn't in the band. Maybe it isn't the band members... it sure isn't maynard, i don't think.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:03 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

im pretty sure the guy with the "shaved" head is paul..or at least thats how ive always seen it.

8.15.02 - Continental Airlines Arena
9.30.06 - Verizon Center
7.18.07 - PNC Arts Center
Old 11-22-2002, 04:11 PM   #10
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 217
i have the video on pause right now, at on scene, of the close up of the guy in the corner, and i am positive that its adam, as for the other guys, i dont know, but if adam is in it, the other band members are probably the rest of the guys...
Old 11-22-2002, 08:39 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

i agree

i also think that the band members do not play an important role in this video, despite their brief and surprising appearance.

no one seems interested in figuring out the video itself, which i think is a much larger enigma.

the part of the band is quite possibly the showing that they are not what makes the music important. this seems ridiculous since they are the ones that make the music, but what i'm trying to say is that they do not want themselves to be the focal point, much like how Britney Spears' career is largely based on her appearance and has nothing to do with any musical talent... Tool is a band that encourages free thought and independence, i don't think they see themselves as anything to be focused on--the music is so much larger than they are.

*foolish consistancy is the
hobgoblin of little minds*
Old 11-25-2002, 07:04 AM   #12
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Maybe if we continue along the idea of the whole space in the video, or at least part of it, as a metaphor for the unconsious, the brief and unclear images of the band members states visually what many of of has have seen/felt - that one occosional graspes a quick glance of something hidden, something deep inside, but you can't really get your head around it, and it vanishes, much like the way the band members appear unclearly and then vanish just as quickly, leaving us wondering what it was and if we saw it at all.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:19 AM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

I thought it was bitching that they did that. I believe it shows that they wont conform to just having them play in their video, but they're still gonna fuck with you. Excellent.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:26 AM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

maybe

one of the guys could be kevin willis if it doesnt look like one of the band members

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: