Schism (ext)
Lost Keys / Rosetta Stoned
pushit
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus (ext w/MB drummer)
Vicarious

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Any other questions? Look here.

Last edited by paraflux; 06-15-2007 at 08:08 AM..
Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
2007/06/07 - Richmond, VA - Richmond Coliseum

Jambi
Stinkfist (ext)
46&2
Schism (ext)
pushit
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Vicarious

DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW

If you have a review of the show, post it. Back and forth bitching at each other will be deleted along with everything else that is not a show review.

Any other questions? Look here.

Last edited by paraflux; 06-15-2007 at 08:08 AM..
OFFLINE |  
patbuchholz
06-07-2007, 09:53 PM

Jambi
Stinkfist
FortySix & 2
Schism (Extended)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Push It
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus (Extended w/ Drum Solo)
Vicarious

What a great show
Maynard spoke a few times, he said it was hard going to the other side, and we "Richmond" made it easy for him tonight - He said we where the best show thus far and thank all of us. He also said he'd see us again real soon?????
I loved Push it, my favorite, glad we got that one. I'm tired
peace to all
Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/07 - Richmond, VA - Richmond Coliseum

Jambi
Stinkfist
FortySix & 2
Schism (Extended)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Push It
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus (Extended w/ Drum Solo)
Vicarious

What a great show
Maynard spoke a few times, he said it was hard going to the other side, and we "Richmond" made it easy for him tonight - He said we where the best show thus far and thank all of us. He also said he'd see us again real soon?????
I loved Push it, my favorite, glad we got that one. I'm tired
peace to all
OFFLINE |  
RaG3aH0liC's Avatar RaG3aH0liC
06-07-2007, 09:57 PM

Jambi
Stinkfist (ext)
46&2
Schism (ext)
pushit
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Vicarious

Really good show, pushit was on point. At the beginning, maynard said "Virginia hang like sleeve of wizard"

more after sleep.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 293

Jambi
Stinkfist (ext)
46&2
Schism (ext)
pushit
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Vicarious

Really good show, pushit was on point. At the beginning, maynard said "Virginia hang like sleeve of wizard"

more after sleep.
06-07-2007, 10:06 PM

what a show. great setlist, pushit was a total treat. the crowd seemed very well behaved tonight. a few security scuffles through the floor, but i didn't see much wrong. i think one cup was thrown adam's right side towards the beginning.

i was so happy when maynard said he'd be back soon.

onto winston-salem next week.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Level 3 - Talker

what a show. great setlist, pushit was a total treat. the crowd seemed very well behaved tonight. a few security scuffles through the floor, but i didn't see much wrong. i think one cup was thrown adam's right side towards the beginning.

i was so happy when maynard said he'd be back soon.

onto winston-salem next week.
OFFLINE |  
Novus_'s Avatar Novus_
06-07-2007, 10:54 PM

Jambi
Stinkfist (O.T.R.M)
46 & 2
Schism (O.T.R.M)
Pushit
---break---
Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days
Lateralus (O.T.R.M) w/ Melt-Banana drummer
Vicarious

Great concert.

Got to the venue around 6:45 PM, right when the doors opened up. Found a spot to the right (Justin's side), with a perfect angled view of the stage. Stood there for about an hour waiting on the rest of my friends to arrive. Melt-Banana came on stage around 8 PM. They played for 30 minutes. Interesting group. All the members looked very tiny on stage (both because they were all pretty short + TOOL's massive set-up dwarfed theirs).

TOOL took the stage a little bit after 9. The played a very tight set and put on a well-performed concert.

Maynard said a couple things after Jambi:
"Richmond, Virginia" + "(something else) Virginia"

Extended or "On The Road Mix" Stinkfist followed. 'nard added in the scream.

46 & 2 was next. I now know why they play this song every show. It's definitely Danny's time to shine. They even have a special visual on the screen right behind Danny during his solo. Awesome stuff.

In between songs it seemed like Adam, Justin, and Maynard each had their moment to create different segues into the next song. Adam and Maynard have their keyboard / synth. And, Justin has his pedals.

I really enjoy the extended version of Schism. Keep this in there, fellas! The extra fast breakdown is very heavy (seemed even heavier now than when I heard it on the previous tour). This song is also when the visuals on the giant screen in the back first started to pop-up.

Next we have Lost Keys (yea, it really was album version length, minus the doctor/nurse exchange).... and onto Rosetta Stoned. The three UFO-looking / light rig set joined us for this song. Honestly, I don't think it's possible to pull the beginning of this song off live. It's just kind of a mess with the distortion and machine gun style talking of Maynard. Maybe it's what they're going for, though? It's kind of a mind fuck song. The last half is just incredible, though.

Then...PUSHIT! Lovely. Really is. TOOL teased for like 3 or so minutes with swelling music. I thought at first they would start playing the notes to Intension...but once Maynard took his place at the mic, and Adam turned around from his synth and put his guitar into position, I knew Pushit was next. Maynard definitely looked very emotional while he sang this. It was pretty touching. What a song, though. Nothing else really needs to be said.

After Pushit, Maynard went backstage, while Adam and Justin and some roadies fooled around with the equipment. While they were doing this, those UFO lights turned up towards the audience. They were very neon looking, and the middle one had some geometric patterns. A friend of mine commented it was almost like in Independence Day, when the alien ships were hovering above the crowd in NYC. "Look, it's so pretty." We were waiting for the impending strike.

Finally, Adam, Justin, and Dan sat on the stage as they normally do. Cue lighters. Maynard eventually joined the crew.

Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days followed once the guys got back into position. This led to smoke + lasers + the unveiling of more secrets from the big screen in the back. Another cool effect was with those UFO lights again. Each one was shining separately on Adam, Justin, and Danny -- almost like gods shining down from above. I was really impressed with the crowd the entire night, but especially during this song. We were all really into it. There are always going to be the few crazy idiots (like the guy in front of us going nuts...and I mean NUTS during most of the show + the drunk dude in the seats behind us who *really* wanted to hear Sober), but for the most part I was happy. This is a very emotional song, and I think hits home for a lot of Virginians. It was definitely a highlight.

Next was Lateralus (On The Road Mix) + Melt-Banana drummer (don't know his name). Maynard said something while this guy was walking out to his small set-up in front of Danny...either "come on down" or "take your spot." The next 5 minutes of the song consisted of him and Dan going back and forth. Danny even cracked a smile toward the end...although it looked like he was smiling at something Justin did with his bass effects. Very cool jam moment, though.

Time to end the show...

Right before Vicarious, Maynard actually commented how great we were as a crowd by not using our flash cameras, etc. He also added in something else about going through dark moments or finding a dark space for the songs, and we were able to help them get there.... I thought maybe he was in some way alluding to the Virginia Tech tragedy? I couldn't really understand completely, though. I could tell he was very sincere in thanking us, and said they would definitely be back soon. It was pretty heartfelt. I haven't heard him say anything like that at a show since the Tabernacle back in 2001, when he told the crowd he "loved us." Pretty cool stuff.

PS: Maynard turned the mic toward the crowd during the last stanza of this song. We sang the "Vicariously I....." He took over at the "Much better..."

Hugs, thumbs up, waves, show over.

TOOL are just incredible to watch live and in person. Much like their albums, their shows are such a build-up of energy. The visuals and lights (and lasers) slowly fall into place throughout, as do the songs. Each are placed for a specific purpose. I've read Maynard comparing TOOL shows to operas before, and while some people might go...dude...operas?..... it does kind of make sense after seeing the guys on tour. There's a beginning, middle, and an end. It's very synchronistic. And, it's just very special. I feel bad for kids who don't get anything out of them.

See everyone in Atlantic City on Saturday!!!

1998: 8/1
2001: 5/15 10/6
2002: 8/9 11/3
2006: 5/17 9/30
2007: 6/7 6/9 6/15
2009: 7/30
2012: 2/2

Last edited by Novus_; 06-08-2007 at 06:31 AM..
Old 06-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

Jambi
Stinkfist (O.T.R.M)
46 & 2
Schism (O.T.R.M)
Pushit
---break---
Wings For Marie / 10,000 Days
Lateralus (O.T.R.M) w/ Melt-Banana drummer
Vicarious

Great concert.

Got to the venue around 6:45 PM, right when the doors opened up. Found a spot to the right (Justin's side), with a perfect angled view of the stage. Stood there for about an hour waiting on the rest of my friends to arrive. Melt-Banana came on stage around 8 PM. They played for 30 minutes. Interesting group. All the members looked very tiny on stage (both because they were all pretty short + TOOL's massive set-up dwarfed theirs).

TOOL took the stage a little bit after 9. The played a very tight set and put on a well-performed concert.

Maynard said a couple things after Jambi:
"Richmond, Virginia" + "(something else) Virginia"

Extended or "On The Road Mix" Stinkfist followed. 'nard added in the scream.

46 & 2 was next. I now know why they play this song every show. It's definitely Danny's time to shine. They even have a special visual on the screen right behind Danny during his solo. Awesome stuff.

In between songs it seemed like Adam, Justin, and Maynard each had their moment to create different segues into the next song. Adam and Maynard have their keyboard / synth. And, Justin has his pedals.

I really enjoy the extended version of Schism. Keep this in there, fellas! The extra fast breakdown is very heavy (seemed even heavier now than when I heard it on the previous tour). This song is also when the visuals on the giant screen in the back first started to pop-up.

Next we have Lost Keys (yea, it really was album version length, minus the doctor/nurse exchange).... and onto Rosetta Stoned. The three UFO-looking / light rig set joined us for this song. Honestly, I don't think it's possible to pull the beginning of this song off live. It's just kind of a mess with the distortion and machine gun style talking of Maynard. Maybe it's what they're going for, though? It's kind of a mind fuck song. The last half is just incredible, though.

Then...PUSHIT! Lovely. Really is. TOOL teased for like 3 or so minutes with swelling music. I thought at first they would start playing the notes to Intension...but once Maynard took his place at the mic, and Adam turned around from his synth and put his guitar into position, I knew Pushit was next. Maynard definitely looked very emotional while he sang this. It was pretty touching. What a song, though. Nothing else really needs to be said.

After Pushit, Maynard went backstage, while Adam and Justin and some roadies fooled around with the equipment. While they were doing this, those UFO lights turned up towards the audience. They were very neon looking, and the middle one had some geometric patterns. A friend of mine commented it was almost like in Independence Day, when the alien ships were hovering above the crowd in NYC. "Look, it's so pretty." We were waiting for the impending strike.

Finally, Adam, Justin, and Dan sat on the stage as they normally do. Cue lighters. Maynard eventually joined the crew.

Wings for Marie / 10,000 Days followed once the guys got back into position. This led to smoke + lasers + the unveiling of more secrets from the big screen in the back. Another cool effect was with those UFO lights again. Each one was shining separately on Adam, Justin, and Danny -- almost like gods shining down from above. I was really impressed with the crowd the entire night, but especially during this song. We were all really into it. There are always going to be the few crazy idiots (like the guy in front of us going nuts...and I mean NUTS during most of the show + the drunk dude in the seats behind us who *really* wanted to hear Sober), but for the most part I was happy. This is a very emotional song, and I think hits home for a lot of Virginians. It was definitely a highlight.

Next was Lateralus (On The Road Mix) + Melt-Banana drummer (don't know his name). Maynard said something while this guy was walking out to his small set-up in front of Danny...either "come on down" or "take your spot." The next 5 minutes of the song consisted of him and Dan going back and forth. Danny even cracked a smile toward the end...although it looked like he was smiling at something Justin did with his bass effects. Very cool jam moment, though.

Time to end the show...

Right before Vicarious, Maynard actually commented how great we were as a crowd by not using our flash cameras, etc. He also added in something else about going through dark moments or finding a dark space for the songs, and we were able to help them get there.... I thought maybe he was in some way alluding to the Virginia Tech tragedy? I couldn't really understand completely, though. I could tell he was very sincere in thanking us, and said they would definitely be back soon. It was pretty heartfelt. I haven't heard him say anything like that at a show since the Tabernacle back in 2001, when he told the crowd he "loved us." Pretty cool stuff.

PS: Maynard turned the mic toward the crowd during the last stanza of this song. We sang the "Vicariously I....." He took over at the "Much better..."

Hugs, thumbs up, waves, show over.

TOOL are just incredible to watch live and in person. Much like their albums, their shows are such a build-up of energy. The visuals and lights (and lasers) slowly fall into place throughout, as do the songs. Each are placed for a specific purpose. I've read Maynard comparing TOOL shows to operas before, and while some people might go...dude...operas?..... it does kind of make sense after seeing the guys on tour. There's a beginning, middle, and an end. It's very synchronistic. And, it's just very special. I feel bad for kids who don't get anything out of them.

See everyone in Atlantic City on Saturday!!!

1998: 8/1
2001: 5/15 10/6
2002: 8/9 11/3
2006: 5/17 9/30
2007: 6/7 6/9 6/15
2009: 7/30
2012: 2/2

Last edited by Novus_; 06-08-2007 at 06:31 AM..
OFFLINE |  
intricatus
06-07-2007, 11:23 PM

Show was excellent...sounded awesome. The light show was extra impressive most likely because I was about 25 feet from the stage and dead center. Maynard was fairly quiet except for the very important "We'll be back soon." Danny spot-on as always.

Pushit was definetely incredible. I was hoping for that because I saw they've been doing it every once in a while for the past week or two. I'm exhausted like everyone else. I get to do it again tomorrow! Can't wait for tomorrow's set list. See you in Baltimore.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Show was excellent...sounded awesome. The light show was extra impressive most likely because I was about 25 feet from the stage and dead center. Maynard was fairly quiet except for the very important "We'll be back soon." Danny spot-on as always.

Pushit was definetely incredible. I was hoping for that because I saw they've been doing it every once in a while for the past week or two. I'm exhausted like everyone else. I get to do it again tomorrow! Can't wait for tomorrow's set list. See you in Baltimore.
OFFLINE |  
matts4
06-08-2007, 03:49 AM

There is no way to describe this show. The set list was perfect. All the extended parts of the older songs is a treat. This was my six show and probably my second favorite show, but easily the best light/lazer show Ive seen of them. Cant wait till next time!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:49 AM   #7
Level 2 - Poster

There is no way to describe this show. The set list was perfect. All the extended parts of the older songs is a treat. This was my six show and probably my second favorite show, but easily the best light/lazer show Ive seen of them. Cant wait till next time!
OFFLINE |  
anfisechka's Avatar anfisechka
06-08-2007, 04:00 AM

Maynardisms:

At the beginning he said something like "We respect Virginia"... and something else, I think, but who knows. Towards the end, he said (paraphrasing) "It's difficult to play these songs. It requires a lot of coordination, concentration and energy. But so far you guys have given us the easiest time doing it". Not exact, but that's what I remember.

Over all, a great show. Much, much, much better than when I saw them on the 2006 pre-tour in Boston. They seemed pretty much spot on, and Maynard seemed to really be having a good time -- lots of great dancing (lol).

I was glad they played some oldies -- 46&2, Pushit, etc. etc. A lot of the people near me were rocking out (as I was). Sound was pretty decent, a little muddy, but what can you expect in an arena. I thought the vocals were mixed a little *too* low in Wings/10K Days, but I guess that's part of the ambience of the songs .... Lost Keys (which I actually like) was excruciatingly painful, though. Ouch.

The crowd had great energy. Pretty much everyone seemed respectful and into the music. The intermission "lighter" moment was really great. I think Justin (? couldn't really see properly) was holding up two lighters, that was kind of funny ...

Everyone seemed really impressed by the laser/light show. The fog machines created pretty realistic-looking clouds in the green laser beams. Was a cool effect, especially for 10KD.

Maybe I'll catch them in Peoria. We look forward to seeing you again, too...

Last edited by anfisechka; 06-08-2007 at 04:03 AM..
Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

Maynardisms:

At the beginning he said something like "We respect Virginia"... and something else, I think, but who knows. Towards the end, he said (paraphrasing) "It's difficult to play these songs. It requires a lot of coordination, concentration and energy. But so far you guys have given us the easiest time doing it". Not exact, but that's what I remember.

Over all, a great show. Much, much, much better than when I saw them on the 2006 pre-tour in Boston. They seemed pretty much spot on, and Maynard seemed to really be having a good time -- lots of great dancing (lol).

I was glad they played some oldies -- 46&2, Pushit, etc. etc. A lot of the people near me were rocking out (as I was). Sound was pretty decent, a little muddy, but what can you expect in an arena. I thought the vocals were mixed a little *too* low in Wings/10K Days, but I guess that's part of the ambience of the songs .... Lost Keys (which I actually like) was excruciatingly painful, though. Ouch.

The crowd had great energy. Pretty much everyone seemed respectful and into the music. The intermission "lighter" moment was really great. I think Justin (? couldn't really see properly) was holding up two lighters, that was kind of funny ...

Everyone seemed really impressed by the laser/light show. The fog machines created pretty realistic-looking clouds in the green laser beams. Was a cool effect, especially for 10KD.

Maybe I'll catch them in Peoria. We look forward to seeing you again, too...

Last edited by anfisechka; 06-08-2007 at 04:03 AM..
OFFLINE |  
ironchefchris's Avatar ironchefchris
06-08-2007, 04:09 AM

Richmond rarely gets a big concert like TOOL and it was nice to see how appreciative the fans were to the band and in turn it seemed like the band was appreciative of us. This is a positive reveiw so i won't talk about melt banana. The setlist is already posted above and seems accurate...Ions was also in there and Pushit (the high point of the night) was extended here and there. The lights and visuals were awesome. The sound was muffled where i was (17 L underneath a overhang) but it was still really good. As noted before, Maynard got talkative and kept thanking us and saying how great the show was and how easy we made it for him. Also said somthing about how what they play takes a lot of time and focus. He didnt sing all of Vicarious and turned the mike to us, but yelled at the end. Few timing mistakes and pedal hiccups, but it was an overall amazing show and seemed very special and even a little intimate at times despite the usual setlist with Pushit thrown in. Awesome show. Thanks TOOL.

Side note: Elliot in the Morning shirts were everywhere...nice to see.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Richmond rarely gets a big concert like TOOL and it was nice to see how appreciative the fans were to the band and in turn it seemed like the band was appreciative of us. This is a positive reveiw so i won't talk about melt banana. The setlist is already posted above and seems accurate...Ions was also in there and Pushit (the high point of the night) was extended here and there. The lights and visuals were awesome. The sound was muffled where i was (17 L underneath a overhang) but it was still really good. As noted before, Maynard got talkative and kept thanking us and saying how great the show was and how easy we made it for him. Also said somthing about how what they play takes a lot of time and focus. He didnt sing all of Vicarious and turned the mike to us, but yelled at the end. Few timing mistakes and pedal hiccups, but it was an overall amazing show and seemed very special and even a little intimate at times despite the usual setlist with Pushit thrown in. Awesome show. Thanks TOOL.

Side note: Elliot in the Morning shirts were everywhere...nice to see.
OFFLINE |  
blair's man sausage's Avatar blair's man sausage
06-08-2007, 05:26 AM

25th tool show...

jambi--extended talkbox, right before then mjk kinda deferred to adam right before by pointing everyone's attention his way--danny hit's gong with just the drumstick
stinkfist--also extended, lackluster scream
46 & 2--issues with drums, so justin just gave us some interesting noise, drum solo was sweet
schism--ultra fast bridge played about as fast as they could me thinks--danny rocked the gong the way it should be hit, one fluid motion tosses a stick grabs a new one tucks under his arm, grabs the gong stick, back to normal
lost keys--once again more guitar/drum issues, justin thanks again
rosetta stoned--clear vocals for me with a slow "holy......fucking......shit"
pushit--nice to hear again, adam banged out a sweet solo while simultaneaously stepping out of the spotlight

intermission--adam and justin chilled on mjk's riser for a bit before danny and mjk joined, crew set up other drumkit and the lighters went up

wings--piss break, still great visuals
10K days--lasers, lasers and more lasers
lateralus--drum off, not sure of the participant--rocked--seemed as if they slowed parts of it down near the end
vicarious--good ending, group hug tossing out water drum heads sticks etc.

fucking awesome concert, very tight. there were quite a few glitches early on but this offered us numerous extended intros, as it seems justin's rig was the only one without any issues.

adam (wearing PIGTAILS, wtf? lolz) really seemed to be the director tonight, he was wandering around the stage syncing up with the guys, danny first usually it seemed.

mjk said: "hello richmond"...something about wizards or some shit, couldn't tell?
just before vicarious he said, " takes a lot of hard work and energy to play these songs, but you guys have made it the easiest for us so far by not shining flashes and fucking throwing shit up here....thank you very much, we'll be back soon."

my vantage point was impeccable, just a couple of rows above the stage right on justin's side so I had a picturesque view of the entire production, the stage was sweet, very cool graphics throughout the show. During rosetta they had a lot of images of saturn which gave me a minor hope for "the grudge" but oh well it was not to be.

Fantastic show nonetheless
Old 06-08-2007, 05:26 AM   #10
the inside man

Bincount™: 20548

25th tool show...

jambi--extended talkbox, right before then mjk kinda deferred to adam right before by pointing everyone's attention his way--danny hit's gong with just the drumstick
stinkfist--also extended, lackluster scream
46 & 2--issues with drums, so justin just gave us some interesting noise, drum solo was sweet
schism--ultra fast bridge played about as fast as they could me thinks--danny rocked the gong the way it should be hit, one fluid motion tosses a stick grabs a new one tucks under his arm, grabs the gong stick, back to normal
lost keys--once again more guitar/drum issues, justin thanks again
rosetta stoned--clear vocals for me with a slow "holy......fucking......shit"
pushit--nice to hear again, adam banged out a sweet solo while simultaneaously stepping out of the spotlight

intermission--adam and justin chilled on mjk's riser for a bit before danny and mjk joined, crew set up other drumkit and the lighters went up

wings--piss break, still great visuals
10K days--lasers, lasers and more lasers
lateralus--drum off, not sure of the participant--rocked--seemed as if they slowed parts of it down near the end
vicarious--good ending, group hug tossing out water drum heads sticks etc.

fucking awesome concert, very tight. there were quite a few glitches early on but this offered us numerous extended intros, as it seems justin's rig was the only one without any issues.

adam (wearing PIGTAILS, wtf? lolz) really seemed to be the director tonight, he was wandering around the stage syncing up with the guys, danny first usually it seemed.

mjk said: "hello richmond"...something about wizards or some shit, couldn't tell?
just before vicarious he said, " takes a lot of hard work and energy to play these songs, but you guys have made it the easiest for us so far by not shining flashes and fucking throwing shit up here....thank you very much, we'll be back soon."

my vantage point was impeccable, just a couple of rows above the stage right on justin's side so I had a picturesque view of the entire production, the stage was sweet, very cool graphics throughout the show. During rosetta they had a lot of images of saturn which gave me a minor hope for "the grudge" but oh well it was not to be.

Fantastic show nonetheless
06-08-2007, 05:26 AM

Killer show...
The crowd seemed really into it, except for a few dudes who would not shut up during 10,000 Days/Wings For Marie. We were on the floor about 3 rows back. A good spot for some good ol' Maynard dancin'. Excellent show, no complaints...
Old 06-08-2007, 05:26 AM   #11
Level 1 - Lurker

Killer show...
The crowd seemed really into it, except for a few dudes who would not shut up during 10,000 Days/Wings For Marie. We were on the floor about 3 rows back. A good spot for some good ol' Maynard dancin'. Excellent show, no complaints...
OFFLINE |  
tim.mcguffin
06-08-2007, 06:19 AM

Most of the above people missed the gist of what Maynard said. He said something along the lines of how even though they play these songs a million times, it takes a lot of effort and he has to go to dark places and relive dark moments from the past that aren't the best feelings to relive, but Richmond made that really easy for them to do, we've been a great crowd and he really appreciates it, thanked us and promised they'd DEFINITELY be back soon. There was no allusion towards VT and there was no mention of flash photography.

I've been following the reviews of concerts and the above is way above and beyond any talking he's done in this tour. He (and the rest of the band) seemed extremely "into it" in this show.

I've seen bootleg videos of their tour and heard many audio, but I still couldn't be prepared for how amazing the show was. I'm riding some serious highs right now, the day after.

The setlist above is correct. I sat in 32L which was Justin's side at a diagonal from the stage, the most perfect vantage point. The sound, surprisingly, was crystal clear from beginning to end. I really didn't expect how complex the tour actually is, from the light shows, the videos, the songs and segues. I am amazed that they are able to keep the music sync'ed up with the videos, even when they slightly vary their setlist from show to show. That has to be a lot of work and coordination. Plus whoever is manning the lasers and lights has to really know what's coming and how the songs go to make them work together.

Tool goes above and beyond the call of duty to give their fans their money's worth. A full 2 hours of music, and a show that rivals the greats in history.

Being able to witness Carey in person feels like I'm catching Jon Bonham in his prime or something. I'm truly thankful to be alive right now to experience this. And my respect for Justin as a bass player, he does some amazing things too, coupled with Adam they make the band sound as if it has more members than it does. Justin is a very technically talented basist. And Adam Jones, who I believe is a major part in writing much of the music, but also does so much more for the band, the videos, artwork, he's really a huge part of the greatness. And finally Maynard, probably the most mysterious and amazing talents I've witnessed in my lifetime.

Maynards voice is nowhere near gone. He had plenty screams and hit every note perfectly. I know he's missed some and was less than enthusiastic at previous shows, but he showed me he has plenty left in the tank.

The venue was great, security was pretty lax but the crowd was still well-behaved and appreciative of everything going on. People even cheered for Melt Banana, mostly out of respect. I was worried about how the crowd would be. I know there were lots of people who weren't die-hard tool fans, but that's actually great. They will be now.

After seeing this show, I seriously think this is a moment in my life I can always reflect upon and smile. It was something special.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:19 AM   #12
Level 3 - Talker

Most of the above people missed the gist of what Maynard said. He said something along the lines of how even though they play these songs a million times, it takes a lot of effort and he has to go to dark places and relive dark moments from the past that aren't the best feelings to relive, but Richmond made that really easy for them to do, we've been a great crowd and he really appreciates it, thanked us and promised they'd DEFINITELY be back soon. There was no allusion towards VT and there was no mention of flash photography.

I've been following the reviews of concerts and the above is way above and beyond any talking he's done in this tour. He (and the rest of the band) seemed extremely "into it" in this show.

I've seen bootleg videos of their tour and heard many audio, but I still couldn't be prepared for how amazing the show was. I'm riding some serious highs right now, the day after.

The setlist above is correct. I sat in 32L which was Justin's side at a diagonal from the stage, the most perfect vantage point. The sound, surprisingly, was crystal clear from beginning to end. I really didn't expect how complex the tour actually is, from the light shows, the videos, the songs and segues. I am amazed that they are able to keep the music sync'ed up with the videos, even when they slightly vary their setlist from show to show. That has to be a lot of work and coordination. Plus whoever is manning the lasers and lights has to really know what's coming and how the songs go to make them work together.

Tool goes above and beyond the call of duty to give their fans their money's worth. A full 2 hours of music, and a show that rivals the greats in history.

Being able to witness Carey in person feels like I'm catching Jon Bonham in his prime or something. I'm truly thankful to be alive right now to experience this. And my respect for Justin as a bass player, he does some amazing things too, coupled with Adam they make the band sound as if it has more members than it does. Justin is a very technically talented basist. And Adam Jones, who I believe is a major part in writing much of the music, but also does so much more for the band, the videos, artwork, he's really a huge part of the greatness. And finally Maynard, probably the most mysterious and amazing talents I've witnessed in my lifetime.

Maynards voice is nowhere near gone. He had plenty screams and hit every note perfectly. I know he's missed some and was less than enthusiastic at previous shows, but he showed me he has plenty left in the tank.

The venue was great, security was pretty lax but the crowd was still well-behaved and appreciative of everything going on. People even cheered for Melt Banana, mostly out of respect. I was worried about how the crowd would be. I know there were lots of people who weren't die-hard tool fans, but that's actually great. They will be now.

After seeing this show, I seriously think this is a moment in my life I can always reflect upon and smile. It was something special.
OFFLINE |  
sam905's Avatar sam905
06-08-2007, 06:37 AM

well it was my first tool show, but seriously the best concert or live band ive ever seen, the set was great, my friend was really pulling for the grudge tho, but they played my favorite like 4 or 5 in, great show, the two best parts were the drum solo, and vicarious, not my favorites but def the best performed
Old 06-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5

well it was my first tool show, but seriously the best concert or live band ive ever seen, the set was great, my friend was really pulling for the grudge tho, but they played my favorite like 4 or 5 in, great show, the two best parts were the drum solo, and vicarious, not my favorites but def the best performed
joegard's Avatar joegard
06-08-2007, 07:03 AM

Jambi
Stinkfist
FortySix & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Push It
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious

Quote:
At the beginning, maynard said "Virginia hang like sleeve of wizard"
I heard that too, but that just may be the Borat in us talking.

Quote:
He said something along the lines of how even though they play these songs a million times, it takes a lot of effort and he has to go to dark places and relive dark moments from the past that aren't the best feelings to relive, but Richmond made that really easy for them to do, we've been a great crowd and he really appreciates it, thanked us and promised they'd DEFINITELY be back soon.
I agree with that.

3rd Tool show, VERY AWESOME.

I think Tool did a great job, I liked this show maybe a little better than their last visit in August of 2002. All the songs not from 10000 Days had variations in them which added tremendously.

Jambi was a great way to start the show, it was awesome and it rocked.
Rosetta Stoned really took off after a kinda weird beginning (but as previously mentioned, it is hard to recreate that)
Pushit was awesome, it started with the Ænima version but in the middle it switched to the Salival (live) version with an epic ending and that was awesome.
By the end, the lasers, the visuals on the screens and the band were all demanding attention of the eyes. There was so much to look at! It was awesome!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:03 AM   #14
Level 2 - Poster

Jambi
Stinkfist
FortySix & 2
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Push It
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious

Quote:
At the beginning, maynard said "Virginia hang like sleeve of wizard"
I heard that too, but that just may be the Borat in us talking.

Quote:
He said something along the lines of how even though they play these songs a million times, it takes a lot of effort and he has to go to dark places and relive dark moments from the past that aren't the best feelings to relive, but Richmond made that really easy for them to do, we've been a great crowd and he really appreciates it, thanked us and promised they'd DEFINITELY be back soon.
I agree with that.

3rd Tool show, VERY AWESOME.

I think Tool did a great job, I liked this show maybe a little better than their last visit in August of 2002. All the songs not from 10000 Days had variations in them which added tremendously.

Jambi was a great way to start the show, it was awesome and it rocked.
Rosetta Stoned really took off after a kinda weird beginning (but as previously mentioned, it is hard to recreate that)
Pushit was awesome, it started with the Ænima version but in the middle it switched to the Salival (live) version with an epic ending and that was awesome.
By the end, the lasers, the visuals on the screens and the band were all demanding attention of the eyes. There was so much to look at! It was awesome!
OFFLINE |  
facelessDrone
06-08-2007, 07:17 AM

This was my 3rd show, and wow. Just wow. I really feel sorry for anyone who's been disappointed by shows on this tour; we must be watching different concerts, because last night was phenomenal.

First off, the only remotely bad part: I thought the mixing was off at times. At the beginning of Schism, I couldn't hear the first 3 notes of Justin's riff that he plays, while the last 2 were perfectly clear; did anyone else notice this? At various parts the vocals might have been too low, or the guitar too high, etc.

At any rate, it didn't detract at all from the experience. The whole band was tight. Jambi was a little slower than the album version; love the heavy interlude in the middle of the song. Stinkfist was extended, love that too. Rosetta Stoned rocked just as hard as I remember it from the last 2 shows. Watching Danny play a different rhythm with each limb, arms and legs all going different speeds, well...awesome, even from where I sat (21U). PUSHIT. Yes. Can't express how good it felt to wait breathlessly while they played the synth intro, and then hear those first few notes and realize what they were playing.

I was looking forward to Pushit so much that I forgot how amazing Wings is live. You can really tell they put forth a tremendous amount of effort toward making this song an experience. The way the visuals and music complement each other gave this song a lot of ambience and emotion; it was a real treat. Lasers and smoke simulating clouds overhead, lightning flashes...it all really helped make the song feel special. "It's time for me to let you go..." As hard as it is to rate my favorite parts of the night, the drum duel in Lateralus was probably #1. Danny really is a virtuoso; off-time beats, limb independence, crazy solos, he owns it all.

Maynard seemed very enthusiastic about the show. He hit all the notes, sang every line (save for "Vicariously I...", comedic value? =D), danced around a good bit. Said something about Richmond and Virginia right after Jambi; I couldn't quite make it out, but something like "Virginia hang like sleeve of wizard" sounds about right. He's made Borat references in previous shows, so I wouldn't be surprised. I was really impressed with how good the crowd was; every time I looked at the floor area, I didn't see any moshing or crazy shenanigans, just people watching intently. Right before Vicarious, Maynard thanked us all for that, this is about as well as I can remember it:

"Thank you very much....we've played these songs a million times, but it still takes us to a dark place...it takes a lot out of you...it takes a lot of time, a lot of energy, and it makes it a lot easier when you're not taking pictures with those silly cameras (?)...this it the easiest it's been so far, you've all been great and made it really easy for us, thank you very much....thank you, we'll be back very soon." It really was heartfelt, another highlight of the night.

I think this was the best experience I've had at any concert, including the other 2 Tool shows. From the music, visuals, atmosphere, and energy of the band, I really felt like I got to be part of something special. Like they were sharing an experience with us rather than just performing songs. Makes me want to buy tickets for the Winston-Salem show and make the drive to NC. It almost could be a farewell tour (GOD I HOPE NOT), if not for the "we'll be back very soon."

On the 1 : 1,000,000 chance that Tool, in whole or in part, is reading this thread...thanks guys. Thanks for the experience, it's one that I certainly won't forget. Thanks for all the heart and effort you put into all of it, it definitely shows. Really wish I could thank you guys face to face, but since that's not happening...Thanks. Much thanks.

OH, and...come to Virginia Beach next time? =D I think the acoustics at the Verizon Ampitheater are better than the Coliseum =D
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
Old 06-08-2007, 07:17 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

This was my 3rd show, and wow. Just wow. I really feel sorry for anyone who's been disappointed by shows on this tour; we must be watching different concerts, because last night was phenomenal.

First off, the only remotely bad part: I thought the mixing was off at times. At the beginning of Schism, I couldn't hear the first 3 notes of Justin's riff that he plays, while the last 2 were perfectly clear; did anyone else notice this? At various parts the vocals might have been too low, or the guitar too high, etc.

At any rate, it didn't detract at all from the experience. The whole band was tight. Jambi was a little slower than the album version; love the heavy interlude in the middle of the song. Stinkfist was extended, love that too. Rosetta Stoned rocked just as hard as I remember it from the last 2 shows. Watching Danny play a different rhythm with each limb, arms and legs all going different speeds, well...awesome, even from where I sat (21U). PUSHIT. Yes. Can't express how good it felt to wait breathlessly while they played the synth intro, and then hear those first few notes and realize what they were playing.

I was looking forward to Pushit so much that I forgot how amazing Wings is live. You can really tell they put forth a tremendous amount of effort toward making this song an experience. The way the visuals and music complement each other gave this song a lot of ambience and emotion; it was a real treat. Lasers and smoke simulating clouds overhead, lightning flashes...it all really helped make the song feel special. "It's time for me to let you go..." As hard as it is to rate my favorite parts of the night, the drum duel in Lateralus was probably #1. Danny really is a virtuoso; off-time beats, limb independence, crazy solos, he owns it all.

Maynard seemed very enthusiastic about the show. He hit all the notes, sang every line (save for "Vicariously I...", comedic value? =D), danced around a good bit. Said something about Richmond and Virginia right after Jambi; I couldn't quite make it out, but something like "Virginia hang like sleeve of wizard" sounds about right. He's made Borat references in previous shows, so I wouldn't be surprised. I was really impressed with how good the crowd was; every time I looked at the floor area, I didn't see any moshing or crazy shenanigans, just people watching intently. Right before Vicarious, Maynard thanked us all for that, this is about as well as I can remember it:

"Thank you very much....we've played these songs a million times, but it still takes us to a dark place...it takes a lot out of you...it takes a lot of time, a lot of energy, and it makes it a lot easier when you're not taking pictures with those silly cameras (?)...this it the easiest it's been so far, you've all been great and made it really easy for us, thank you very much....thank you, we'll be back very soon." It really was heartfelt, another highlight of the night.

I think this was the best experience I've had at any concert, including the other 2 Tool shows. From the music, visuals, atmosphere, and energy of the band, I really felt like I got to be part of something special. Like they were sharing an experience with us rather than just performing songs. Makes me want to buy tickets for the Winston-Salem show and make the drive to NC. It almost could be a farewell tour (GOD I HOPE NOT), if not for the "we'll be back very soon."

On the 1 : 1,000,000 chance that Tool, in whole or in part, is reading this thread...thanks guys. Thanks for the experience, it's one that I certainly won't forget. Thanks for all the heart and effort you put into all of it, it definitely shows. Really wish I could thank you guys face to face, but since that's not happening...Thanks. Much thanks.

OH, and...come to Virginia Beach next time? =D I think the acoustics at the Verizon Ampitheater are better than the Coliseum =D
OFFLINE |  
Tsar7
06-08-2007, 08:04 AM

Pushit. Very stoked that we got it. Had my doubts since they played it just two shows ago - and Richmond seems unlucky with such things (we didn't get Third Eye in 2002).

Really pleased that the good vibe around the show was obviously appreciated by the band. I'd never heard or read accounts of Maynard saying anything like his bit before Vicarious. He also faced the crowd pretty much the entire time - which is perhaps a but unusual these days. Definitely mentioned flash in there somewhere - but I suspect he really meant dickheads with laser pointers.

I was on the floor straight out from Justin about 1/4 of the way back from the stage. Had a good view of Danny which was my priority. Took me a little by surprise when he hit the gong toward the end of Schism - hadn't seen that before (usually just Lateralus). At first thought he was trying to fix something when he tucked the stick under his right arm - but then lashed the gong with a boom and back into the groove in a blink. Awesome. He really is a class above.

Sound/EQ was better than I was expecting. Acoustics are not great at the coliseum. Went upstairs for a bit during Wings/10,000 to get a different perspective. Mix was noticeably meh up there - but getting the full sweep of the visuals on the floor of the stage during the trippy parts was cool.

Highlights for me were Pushit (obviously), the double time (at least) section of Schism and the huge smile that broke across Danny's face as they made the turn for home on Lateralus.

I've seen them many times in many places - and they've never disappointed - but I thought they were noticeably "on" last night.

Last edited by Tsar7; 06-08-2007 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: typo in very first word - nice
Old 06-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Pushit. Very stoked that we got it. Had my doubts since they played it just two shows ago - and Richmond seems unlucky with such things (we didn't get Third Eye in 2002).

Really pleased that the good vibe around the show was obviously appreciated by the band. I'd never heard or read accounts of Maynard saying anything like his bit before Vicarious. He also faced the crowd pretty much the entire time - which is perhaps a but unusual these days. Definitely mentioned flash in there somewhere - but I suspect he really meant dickheads with laser pointers.

I was on the floor straight out from Justin about 1/4 of the way back from the stage. Had a good view of Danny which was my priority. Took me a little by surprise when he hit the gong toward the end of Schism - hadn't seen that before (usually just Lateralus). At first thought he was trying to fix something when he tucked the stick under his right arm - but then lashed the gong with a boom and back into the groove in a blink. Awesome. He really is a class above.

Sound/EQ was better than I was expecting. Acoustics are not great at the coliseum. Went upstairs for a bit during Wings/10,000 to get a different perspective. Mix was noticeably meh up there - but getting the full sweep of the visuals on the floor of the stage during the trippy parts was cool.

Highlights for me were Pushit (obviously), the double time (at least) section of Schism and the huge smile that broke across Danny's face as they made the turn for home on Lateralus.

I've seen them many times in many places - and they've never disappointed - but I thought they were noticeably "on" last night.

Last edited by Tsar7; 06-08-2007 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: typo in very first word - nice
OFFLINE |  
JamesHerbertKeenan
06-08-2007, 08:15 AM

WOW!!! Amazing show. Third one and they just keep getting better for me. Worried about Danny's bicep when he was icing it, but rellieved when he kept plugging away. The energy from Tool and from the crowd put me in on the road to awe. Sat in 17L row G at the stage end. Saw it all and well. Shame on the one that threw that cup at Adam. I hope you were beaten and raped (but survied [don't want to get sued] ;-) ) Hope to see them again REAL soon. I agree will Faceless, the Ampitheater might be beter.... less reverb. Thank you TOOL for all you have been through to brings us such entertainment and relief and closure in our own lives.
Peace,
BuckFush
Old 06-08-2007, 08:15 AM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

WOW!!! Amazing show. Third one and they just keep getting better for me. Worried about Danny's bicep when he was icing it, but rellieved when he kept plugging away. The energy from Tool and from the crowd put me in on the road to awe. Sat in 17L row G at the stage end. Saw it all and well. Shame on the one that threw that cup at Adam. I hope you were beaten and raped (but survied [don't want to get sued] ;-) ) Hope to see them again REAL soon. I agree will Faceless, the Ampitheater might be beter.... less reverb. Thank you TOOL for all you have been through to brings us such entertainment and relief and closure in our own lives.
Peace,
BuckFush
OFFLINE |  
Tarot
06-08-2007, 09:29 AM

"Ions" was right after "Jambi." It's kinda a blur after that for me, I was just feeling the music. Literally. The air was vibrating against my skin, especially during "Schism" and "Rosetta Stoned." It was a phenomenal experience, and I'm glad my teenaged daughter enjoyed it with me. She loves Danny's drumming, as do I, so the interplay between him and the other guy during "Lateralus" was a real joy to watch/hear from 30 feet away.

A co-worker who won/was given tickets to suite seats thought the reverb with the music was hideous, and it was kinda hard to hear the vocals in spots, but I still loved it all. I was mostly happy to be directly stage left in 3L A11. I had to lean over when I wanted to see what Justin was doing, and I couldn't see Adam most of the time with the lights in my eyes, but for the most part I was more than happy to just watch Danny play. The man is a god. Just...awe inspiring. And Maynard seemed to be in good spirits. I was touched that he said we'd given them great energy for doing what they do, and I hope he was serious when he said they'd be back "real soon!" Though I hope in VA Beach, if the acoustics there are better.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #18
Level 2 - Poster

"Ions" was right after "Jambi." It's kinda a blur after that for me, I was just feeling the music. Literally. The air was vibrating against my skin, especially during "Schism" and "Rosetta Stoned." It was a phenomenal experience, and I'm glad my teenaged daughter enjoyed it with me. She loves Danny's drumming, as do I, so the interplay between him and the other guy during "Lateralus" was a real joy to watch/hear from 30 feet away.

A co-worker who won/was given tickets to suite seats thought the reverb with the music was hideous, and it was kinda hard to hear the vocals in spots, but I still loved it all. I was mostly happy to be directly stage left in 3L A11. I had to lean over when I wanted to see what Justin was doing, and I couldn't see Adam most of the time with the lights in my eyes, but for the most part I was more than happy to just watch Danny play. The man is a god. Just...awe inspiring. And Maynard seemed to be in good spirits. I was touched that he said we'd given them great energy for doing what they do, and I hope he was serious when he said they'd be back "real soon!" Though I hope in VA Beach, if the acoustics there are better.
OFFLINE |  
chiselsdreams
06-08-2007, 09:39 AM

This show was on point completely! This is my second show and it was just as amazing as the first! The sound quality was bad ass. The first songs up until Lost Keys/ RS, were driving as hell! They hooked us up with Pushit and Vicarious that was tight! I saw a small circle pit going on on the floor, kinda funny. Visuals were sweet a little different from the D.C. show. Can't wait to see em' play at Bonnaroo! Oh, and Maynard said they would be back soon, and I'm gonna hold him to it.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

This show was on point completely! This is my second show and it was just as amazing as the first! The sound quality was bad ass. The first songs up until Lost Keys/ RS, were driving as hell! They hooked us up with Pushit and Vicarious that was tight! I saw a small circle pit going on on the floor, kinda funny. Visuals were sweet a little different from the D.C. show. Can't wait to see em' play at Bonnaroo! Oh, and Maynard said they would be back soon, and I'm gonna hold him to it.
OFFLINE |  
Abu Jamaar
06-08-2007, 10:15 AM

Went down last night after reading some mixed reviews of the shows from earlier in the tour and was somewhat nervous about what we would get. I have not see Tool since Lolapalooza almost 15 years ago, when I didn't know much about them. Took my wife who had never seen Tool other than an incredible bootleg performance from the Astoria in London circa 97.

The opening band I did not care for too much. They did not play much more than 30 minutes or so.

The lights went down and the guys came and mounted their gear. Started off with Jambi, Fire orange patterns on the screen behind them and Maynard in a day glow jacket came out and set the tempo for the rest of the evening. The videos playing on the screen were out of the world. During PUSHIT, The screens had three ladies dancing and their images blinking while they danced - it was so perfect.

I have been to many many concerts in my life, and nothing ever came close to last night. Since seeing tool at Lolapalooza, I have been a huge fan for the past 15 years. I have seen bootlegs where Maynard puts on his dancing performance whilst inked up with paint that makes him appear a burn victim. I was afraid that the show would not be up to the bootlegs I have seen. I can summarize it best as follows.

Tool, like the rest of us who are still alive, has aged. Tool has matured into what I consider musical perfection. Words cannot convey what went down in Richmond last night. That was a life changing musical event. I can now die a truely happy man. The light show, and the @20 minutes of building during wings for mary into 10,000 days was probably the highlight of the show. Pushit was an unexpected reward, Maynard giving a shout to the concert right before Vicarious was wonderful. I went home smiling, woke up this morning and said to myself - that really happened.

Another note, my wife and I were 100% sober, red bulls the only thing in our system. You dont need to be intoxicated to sink into their universe. Matter of fact, I feel bad for anyone who was high or drunk, because the memory wont be there when you get old.

All for now.
Clint
Old 06-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #20
Level 1 - Lurker

Went down last night after reading some mixed reviews of the shows from earlier in the tour and was somewhat nervous about what we would get. I have not see Tool since Lolapalooza almost 15 years ago, when I didn't know much about them. Took my wife who had never seen Tool other than an incredible bootleg performance from the Astoria in London circa 97.

The opening band I did not care for too much. They did not play much more than 30 minutes or so.

The lights went down and the guys came and mounted their gear. Started off with Jambi, Fire orange patterns on the screen behind them and Maynard in a day glow jacket came out and set the tempo for the rest of the evening. The videos playing on the screen were out of the world. During PUSHIT, The screens had three ladies dancing and their images blinking while they danced - it was so perfect.

I have been to many many concerts in my life, and nothing ever came close to last night. Since seeing tool at Lolapalooza, I have been a huge fan for the past 15 years. I have seen bootlegs where Maynard puts on his dancing performance whilst inked up with paint that makes him appear a burn victim. I was afraid that the show would not be up to the bootlegs I have seen. I can summarize it best as follows.

Tool, like the rest of us who are still alive, has aged. Tool has matured into what I consider musical perfection. Words cannot convey what went down in Richmond last night. That was a life changing musical event. I can now die a truely happy man. The light show, and the @20 minutes of building during wings for mary into 10,000 days was probably the highlight of the show. Pushit was an unexpected reward, Maynard giving a shout to the concert right before Vicarious was wonderful. I went home smiling, woke up this morning and said to myself - that really happened.

Another note, my wife and I were 100% sober, red bulls the only thing in our system. You dont need to be intoxicated to sink into their universe. Matter of fact, I feel bad for anyone who was high or drunk, because the memory wont be there when you get old.

All for now.
Clint
OFFLINE |  
gongboy
06-08-2007, 11:10 AM

Richmond....what a nice suprise, 6 blocks away from my apartment last night. My ticket paid for itself as soon as someone in a car was driving around, and asked where I parked. I said "at home" with a nice ol' shit-eating grin. Everything after that was just a perk package, and a very good one at that.

I decided to go with well-placed upper deck seats four rows back. This meant that I had a comfy chair, and no tall people blocking the view. The pros (good view, overall experience, elbow room, comfort, no drunks requesting "Sober") definately outweighed the cons (muddy mix). I won't even comment on the quality of the show, other than it was brilliant. The fat cylindrical light beams from the lasers that were projected about ten feet away from the seat made me reconsider taking LSD for the show. I'm glad I didn't (haven't ever for a Tool show), since I was getting high just from the spectacle. Although hallucinogens are fun, I am under the impression that for Tool concerts, there's really no need to mess with any of them.

My favorite visual was definately the multi-colored laser mesh that happened during Vicarious (something to do with the blue, red, and green pixels on a TV screen?).

Sonically, the high point for me was Pushit, since it was flawless and delivered with adequate intensity, and it's one of my favorites. I would have loved to hear Flood, though!

Thanks Tool; and Richmond, for being on your best behaviour. Clearly it will pay off soon when we get another visit from the band. Good work, everyone!

All in all, this show was solid. I'm very glad to hear that the band had as much fun as we did last night. We should do that again sometime, alright?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #21
Level 1 - Lurker

Richmond....what a nice suprise, 6 blocks away from my apartment last night. My ticket paid for itself as soon as someone in a car was driving around, and asked where I parked. I said "at home" with a nice ol' shit-eating grin. Everything after that was just a perk package, and a very good one at that.

I decided to go with well-placed upper deck seats four rows back. This meant that I had a comfy chair, and no tall people blocking the view. The pros (good view, overall experience, elbow room, comfort, no drunks requesting "Sober") definately outweighed the cons (muddy mix). I won't even comment on the quality of the show, other than it was brilliant. The fat cylindrical light beams from the lasers that were projected about ten feet away from the seat made me reconsider taking LSD for the show. I'm glad I didn't (haven't ever for a Tool show), since I was getting high just from the spectacle. Although hallucinogens are fun, I am under the impression that for Tool concerts, there's really no need to mess with any of them.

My favorite visual was definately the multi-colored laser mesh that happened during Vicarious (something to do with the blue, red, and green pixels on a TV screen?).

Sonically, the high point for me was Pushit, since it was flawless and delivered with adequate intensity, and it's one of my favorites. I would have loved to hear Flood, though!

Thanks Tool; and Richmond, for being on your best behaviour. Clearly it will pay off soon when we get another visit from the band. Good work, everyone!

All in all, this show was solid. I'm very glad to hear that the band had as much fun as we did last night. We should do that again sometime, alright?
OFFLINE |  
nineinchfan18's Avatar nineinchfan18
06-08-2007, 01:20 PM

this was my first tool show and it was amazing. i missed the opening act due to getting stuck in traffic on the interstate but as long as i made it to see tool and i made it right in time to see them to. as soon as i sat in my seat the lights went out and the band came on stage and i was freaking out.all the songs were great and they were loud as hell but from where i was sitting maynards vocals didnt carry to the back so it was hard to hear them espically on rosseta stoned. the visualazations were great and i loved every moment of it. one of my favriot moments was when all of the lighters in the colosiuem went up and the room was illuminated with a bunch of lighters it was great..but when the band started playing lateralus (best song ever written in my opinion) i freaked out. it was 10 x better to hear the song live and espically with the drum solo which was amazing. best fucking concert ive been to. hope they come to virginia again soon
Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

this was my first tool show and it was amazing. i missed the opening act due to getting stuck in traffic on the interstate but as long as i made it to see tool and i made it right in time to see them to. as soon as i sat in my seat the lights went out and the band came on stage and i was freaking out.all the songs were great and they were loud as hell but from where i was sitting maynards vocals didnt carry to the back so it was hard to hear them espically on rosseta stoned. the visualazations were great and i loved every moment of it. one of my favriot moments was when all of the lighters in the colosiuem went up and the room was illuminated with a bunch of lighters it was great..but when the band started playing lateralus (best song ever written in my opinion) i freaked out. it was 10 x better to hear the song live and espically with the drum solo which was amazing. best fucking concert ive been to. hope they come to virginia again soon
OFFLINE |  
bunglecat
06-08-2007, 02:47 PM

This was my third show and the best so far. Saw the 2002 Richmond, the latest DC show and last night was simply outstanding!!! I wish I could be in Baltimore tonight!! If anyone has any pics please PM or email me. [email protected]

Also if any audio I would be very appreciative of that too!!!

Club seating Section 16-A Row C last night and floor GA during the 2002 show and I highly recommend Club. Some dude right behind me caught one of the drum heads...I was so close, but would have been just as happy with a water cause cotton mouth was getting the best of me. :o)
Old 06-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my third show and the best so far. Saw the 2002 Richmond, the latest DC show and last night was simply outstanding!!! I wish I could be in Baltimore tonight!! If anyone has any pics please PM or email me. [email protected]

Also if any audio I would be very appreciative of that too!!!

Club seating Section 16-A Row C last night and floor GA during the 2002 show and I highly recommend Club. Some dude right behind me caught one of the drum heads...I was so close, but would have been just as happy with a water cause cotton mouth was getting the best of me. :o)
OFFLINE |  
SING2THEDEATHRATTLE's Avatar SING2THEDEATHRATTLE
06-08-2007, 03:02 PM

My wife and I have been to three Tool concerts so far and each one has been a place in time i will never forget. We drove 2 hours jammin with nard and Co the whole way anticipating what was to come! We missed the first band on purpose and went to the Rocks and watched a beautiful sunset then on to the collesium (below average In my opinion MCI better acoustics) perfect timing to get in and get to the front 4 rows back Justin's side. Which turned out to be an awesome ride due to the loyal Tool fans around us. *Side Note Maynard if your reading this (doubtful) there is a baby to be born next week that just enjoyed his second show and will bear your name as his middle name Also saw a young man with his father at his first show, which when they return my Son is gonna be at his first show, but i digress. So as afore mention the band jumped up and tickled our medula's for two hours. Thought i mention somethings, first Rosetta Stoned the visuals were intense great job camiela and co for that. Second the lasers were different from the past go arounds with differnt colors and spinning projections on the Net of being poster as well as what looked like a laser solar system complete with an orbiting Saturn Anyone else? Next the DNA strands that were hundreds of humans during lateralus "and still be a human..." Maynards thanks to us made the evening complete. We were at one with the band in their comfort zone we are still enthralled by being there which will live on till the next experience!!! TO THE IDIOTS THAT COMPLAIN ABOUT ANYTHING about TOOL WHERE IS YOUR spiritual,deep,mind-altering Musically genius, culturally influencing, timeless arrangements with the best light show in the world, band and when is your next Show?!?!? A monkey can complain it takes more to create and reproduce it (exactly like maynard said) And for you to bitch cuz you didn't get more undertow songs is missing the point, we are privledged to get what ever they bestow upon us in any form!!!! Thanks Richmond hopefully we can be the spark (INTENSION "spark becomes a flame...") that awakens future Tool goers to this incredible experience and HOW to respect it!!!!(MOST OF US DO) My whole family will be at the next show 'Riding the spiral to the end' together and I 'would not have it any other way.' THANK YOU TO THE TOOL FAMILY!!!!!! Spiral Out

Last edited by SING2THEDEATHRATTLE; 06-08-2007 at 04:04 PM..
Old 06-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

My wife and I have been to three Tool concerts so far and each one has been a place in time i will never forget. We drove 2 hours jammin with nard and Co the whole way anticipating what was to come! We missed the first band on purpose and went to the Rocks and watched a beautiful sunset then on to the collesium (below average In my opinion MCI better acoustics) perfect timing to get in and get to the front 4 rows back Justin's side. Which turned out to be an awesome ride due to the loyal Tool fans around us. *Side Note Maynard if your reading this (doubtful) there is a baby to be born next week that just enjoyed his second show and will bear your name as his middle name Also saw a young man with his father at his first show, which when they return my Son is gonna be at his first show, but i digress. So as afore mention the band jumped up and tickled our medula's for two hours. Thought i mention somethings, first Rosetta Stoned the visuals were intense great job camiela and co for that. Second the lasers were different from the past go arounds with differnt colors and spinning projections on the Net of being poster as well as what looked like a laser solar system complete with an orbiting Saturn Anyone else? Next the DNA strands that were hundreds of humans during lateralus "and still be a human..." Maynards thanks to us made the evening complete. We were at one with the band in their comfort zone we are still enthralled by being there which will live on till the next experience!!! TO THE IDIOTS THAT COMPLAIN ABOUT ANYTHING about TOOL WHERE IS YOUR spiritual,deep,mind-altering Musically genius, culturally influencing, timeless arrangements with the best light show in the world, band and when is your next Show?!?!? A monkey can complain it takes more to create and reproduce it (exactly like maynard said) And for you to bitch cuz you didn't get more undertow songs is missing the point, we are privledged to get what ever they bestow upon us in any form!!!! Thanks Richmond hopefully we can be the spark (INTENSION "spark becomes a flame...") that awakens future Tool goers to this incredible experience and HOW to respect it!!!!(MOST OF US DO) My whole family will be at the next show 'Riding the spiral to the end' together and I 'would not have it any other way.' THANK YOU TO THE TOOL FAMILY!!!!!! Spiral Out

Last edited by SING2THEDEATHRATTLE; 06-08-2007 at 04:04 PM..
OFFLINE |  
burning_purity
06-08-2007, 04:46 PM

2nd time seeing Tool, the first being Washington DC in '06. Gotta say this was the best concert I've ever attended. I was in section 3L, Row E, seat 1, about 25 feet from the stage. First of all, I loved Melt Banana. It is very spastic, and their guitatist is practically a 1 man band. Before Tool played Wings, I turned to my right and saw the Melt Banana bassist standing next to me. Pretty awesome. Adam moved around alot tonight, and I noticed he was wearing pigtails. Extended Stinkfist and Schism were amazing, as expected. Pushit was ridiculously good, still one of my favorites. Wings and 10,000 Days were incredible, possibly some of the best of Tool's career. Then came the EXTREMELY extended Lateralus. It was an amazing song to begin with, but my head was reeling when Danny Carey began the drum battle with the Melt Banana drummer. Maynard was fairly talkative, and said Richmond was the best show so far, and that they would be back soon. By the time Vicarious ended, I could have cared less whether or not they played Aenema. They had already given more than enough. Well, off to Winston Salem.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #25
Level 3 - Talker

2nd time seeing Tool, the first being Washington DC in '06. Gotta say this was the best concert I've ever attended. I was in section 3L, Row E, seat 1, about 25 feet from the stage. First of all, I loved Melt Banana. It is very spastic, and their guitatist is practically a 1 man band. Before Tool played Wings, I turned to my right and saw the Melt Banana bassist standing next to me. Pretty awesome. Adam moved around alot tonight, and I noticed he was wearing pigtails. Extended Stinkfist and Schism were amazing, as expected. Pushit was ridiculously good, still one of my favorites. Wings and 10,000 Days were incredible, possibly some of the best of Tool's career. Then came the EXTREMELY extended Lateralus. It was an amazing song to begin with, but my head was reeling when Danny Carey began the drum battle with the Melt Banana drummer. Maynard was fairly talkative, and said Richmond was the best show so far, and that they would be back soon. By the time Vicarious ended, I could have cared less whether or not they played Aenema. They had already given more than enough. Well, off to Winston Salem.
OFFLINE |  
dmccuiston's Avatar dmccuiston
06-08-2007, 04:58 PM

Third show last night - Richmond '02, MCI '06 priors. I have been trying all day to process what went down last night. I've had a bunch of people ask me how the show was and I feel I have no words to do it justice. I mean, I have used such adjectives as "mind-blowing", "unreal", "unfuckingbelievable", and "ridiculous" to name a few, but it all sounds like over-the-top-crazy-fan-hyperbole. The problem is that not only are these descriptions not hyperbole, but they don't even come close to describing last night's show. On that note, last night was neither a show nor a concert but an experience. How do you explain that to someone who was not there?

The Coliseum's shitty acoustics would absolutely ruin any other band, but the blitzkreiging mindfuck that Tool unleashed on us last night let all of that seem so miniscule. I cannot even express how down I am with the "jamming" Tool. Seriously, they guys have taken it to another level. The first time I heard Tool, I realized that the soundtrack to my mind that had been with me for so long finally had an artist. They proved it again last night.

Big, fat props to my hometown respecting the band and their talent. Someone earlier mentioned how the band put everything together in a very deliberate order to control the entire experience. You could not be more right. The progression of the show, the setlist and the energy clearly had a master plan. Really, really glad that Pushit was a part of that plan last night. All right, enough of my verbal fellatio. Just know that the best band on earth is hitting their stride and straight up fucking shit up.

As Maynard said, see you all again "real soon"
Old 06-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #26
Level 2 - Poster

Third show last night - Richmond '02, MCI '06 priors. I have been trying all day to process what went down last night. I've had a bunch of people ask me how the show was and I feel I have no words to do it justice. I mean, I have used such adjectives as "mind-blowing", "unreal", "unfuckingbelievable", and "ridiculous" to name a few, but it all sounds like over-the-top-crazy-fan-hyperbole. The problem is that not only are these descriptions not hyperbole, but they don't even come close to describing last night's show. On that note, last night was neither a show nor a concert but an experience. How do you explain that to someone who was not there?

The Coliseum's shitty acoustics would absolutely ruin any other band, but the blitzkreiging mindfuck that Tool unleashed on us last night let all of that seem so miniscule. I cannot even express how down I am with the "jamming" Tool. Seriously, they guys have taken it to another level. The first time I heard Tool, I realized that the soundtrack to my mind that had been with me for so long finally had an artist. They proved it again last night.

Big, fat props to my hometown respecting the band and their talent. Someone earlier mentioned how the band put everything together in a very deliberate order to control the entire experience. You could not be more right. The progression of the show, the setlist and the energy clearly had a master plan. Really, really glad that Pushit was a part of that plan last night. All right, enough of my verbal fellatio. Just know that the best band on earth is hitting their stride and straight up fucking shit up.

As Maynard said, see you all again "real soon"
06-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Great Show! I sat Row C, section 1L with a great view. (Thanks TOOL ARMY for my kickass ticket)
My husband and brother sat in 32L.(Long story)
I would like to say thanks to the few fellas who helped me down the steps in the dark. Kinda hard walking down all of those when you are 7 months pregnant. Nice to see I wasn't the only mother-to-be who loves TOOL.
This was my 3rd show, all different and all great!
I love this freakin band!!!!!
SO Glad to hear more of the older songs- REAL TREAT!!
Maynard seemed to be riding nice on some good vibes. Danny Carey- no words can describe him besides "the best"!!!
My baby was still rockin out when we got home. I'm sure he enjoyed the show as well.
Oh, to the best Tattoo artist in Richmond.... Hey Amy, it was nice seeing you girl! I'll be in as soon as I can!!!
Thanks to everyone visiting & to my fellow Richmonders for behaving themselves. It made the show that much better.
Can't wait til next time!!!!
Peace, Love, and Light to you all
Old 06-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Great Show! I sat Row C, section 1L with a great view. (Thanks TOOL ARMY for my kickass ticket)
My husband and brother sat in 32L.(Long story)
I would like to say thanks to the few fellas who helped me down the steps in the dark. Kinda hard walking down all of those when you are 7 months pregnant. Nice to see I wasn't the only mother-to-be who loves TOOL.
This was my 3rd show, all different and all great!
I love this freakin band!!!!!
SO Glad to hear more of the older songs- REAL TREAT!!
Maynard seemed to be riding nice on some good vibes. Danny Carey- no words can describe him besides "the best"!!!
My baby was still rockin out when we got home. I'm sure he enjoyed the show as well.
Oh, to the best Tattoo artist in Richmond.... Hey Amy, it was nice seeing you girl! I'll be in as soon as I can!!!
Thanks to everyone visiting & to my fellow Richmonders for behaving themselves. It made the show that much better.
Can't wait til next time!!!!
Peace, Love, and Light to you all
OFFLINE |  
becoming's Avatar becoming
06-08-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.mcguffin View Post
there was no mention of flash photography.
You are right on what he said except for this. He very clearly said thanks "for not flashing those silly cameras" at them. He thanked Baltimore again tonight by saying "something weird has happened the last two nights" and then mentioned the better atmosphere for them as a result of "the venue sticking to our request for no flash photography".

It was a great show, and the last two nights (Richmond and Baltimore) have been the most "into" the crowd I've seen Tool in the last six years. I hope the streak continues.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #28
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.mcguffin View Post
there was no mention of flash photography.
You are right on what he said except for this. He very clearly said thanks "for not flashing those silly cameras" at them. He thanked Baltimore again tonight by saying "something weird has happened the last two nights" and then mentioned the better atmosphere for them as a result of "the venue sticking to our request for no flash photography".

It was a great show, and the last two nights (Richmond and Baltimore) have been the most "into" the crowd I've seen Tool in the last six years. I hope the streak continues.
OFFLINE |  
god_himself
06-09-2007, 02:34 AM

The show was one of the bests times in my life thus far. Wings and 10,000 days was beautiful. I loved it. I really like the way Stinkfist is done too. The way Maynard sings instead of screams is great. And oh my self the lasers and the back drops....OH!! Thats all I can really say...I...I really can't put into words the glory that I saw. I was in the back in front of the sound board. It was perfect. I could see everything with out having to move my head hardly at all. I could take the whole thing in all at once. All in all it was just a great show. (p.s. Does anyone know what maynard's favorite cookie is. I know its a stupid question, but its one that's been in my head for years now. Its thoughts like these that keep me from progressing in life.)
Old 06-09-2007, 02:34 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

The show was one of the bests times in my life thus far. Wings and 10,000 days was beautiful. I loved it. I really like the way Stinkfist is done too. The way Maynard sings instead of screams is great. And oh my self the lasers and the back drops....OH!! Thats all I can really say...I...I really can't put into words the glory that I saw. I was in the back in front of the sound board. It was perfect. I could see everything with out having to move my head hardly at all. I could take the whole thing in all at once. All in all it was just a great show. (p.s. Does anyone know what maynard's favorite cookie is. I know its a stupid question, but its one that's been in my head for years now. Its thoughts like these that keep me from progressing in life.)
OFFLINE |  
ncsuben
06-09-2007, 10:07 PM

Everyone was dead on with this review. My only other time seeing Tool was in Winston Salem in 2002, which was an amazing show as it was.

This show took the cake however, getting a floor ticket was just that much better too. This is by far the best show I have EVER seen, by any band. I went with my sister's boyfriend, who has even seen Pink Floyd, and he said this topped even that, the best concert he has ever been to as well. The whole drive back to NC we couldn't shut up about the show, he bragged all day to my sister and his friends at work about how awesome the show was. I even had a dream about being at the show that night!

The lasers in this show were absolutely mind blowing.

Just to re-iterate: Best concert of my life. I hope they keep that promise to be back soon, I will be there.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Everyone was dead on with this review. My only other time seeing Tool was in Winston Salem in 2002, which was an amazing show as it was.

This show took the cake however, getting a floor ticket was just that much better too. This is by far the best show I have EVER seen, by any band. I went with my sister's boyfriend, who has even seen Pink Floyd, and he said this topped even that, the best concert he has ever been to as well. The whole drive back to NC we couldn't shut up about the show, he bragged all day to my sister and his friends at work about how awesome the show was. I even had a dream about being at the show that night!

The lasers in this show were absolutely mind blowing.

Just to re-iterate: Best concert of my life. I hope they keep that promise to be back soon, I will be there.
OFFLINE |  
MizGonz
06-11-2007, 04:35 PM

I went to this show with one of my best friends. We'd gone to the show in DC a few months back--the first Tool show for both of us, even though we'd been getting a lot out of their music for years. We both agreed: Richmond's show was the most deeply rewarding concert we've ever been to. We had heard they might play Pushit, and when they did I smiled so widely and for so long it hurt.

I'm 37 years old and work for a nonprofit with a number of well-educated open-minded people. When I told them I was going driving down to Richmond to see Tool, they didn't know what to make of it. Their albums enjoy excellent sales, and the fans of their music are a loyal and ecclectic crew. But so many people who are only vaguely familiar with them think they're some dark metal band, some force of negativity. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Their music is so deeply human and more often than not positive and life-affirming. What's negative about Lateralus or Parabola? And Jimmy... what a song (I know, I know Jimmy and Parabola weren't on the setlist... I'm just saying...) My take is that the author is going back to reunite himself with a version of himself who was wounded as a young boy "under a dead Ohio sky..." The more I read about Tool and Maynard in particular, the more Tool's songs resonated with me, probably because I could square some of the lyrics with what I'd gleaned about his own development. But the genius is that so many of Tool's songs slip away from straight narrative and blossom into something that transcends convention and specificity to become something that is at once very universal but at the same time deeply moving on a personal level, for me anyway, as a listener. I actually want to be a better person, a more responsible person in the most serious way, when I listen to Tool. And I suspect a lot of other people feel the same way. And to boot, they're an almost supernaturally talented foursome of artists. I mean Danny Carey... to watch him play live is to be utterly amazed. To see Maynard crouch and undulate to the music... it's incredible. But I preach to the choir, I'm sure. Goodness to you all. See you at a show some day maybe.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

I went to this show with one of my best friends. We'd gone to the show in DC a few months back--the first Tool show for both of us, even though we'd been getting a lot out of their music for years. We both agreed: Richmond's show was the most deeply rewarding concert we've ever been to. We had heard they might play Pushit, and when they did I smiled so widely and for so long it hurt.

I'm 37 years old and work for a nonprofit with a number of well-educated open-minded people. When I told them I was going driving down to Richmond to see Tool, they didn't know what to make of it. Their albums enjoy excellent sales, and the fans of their music are a loyal and ecclectic crew. But so many people who are only vaguely familiar with them think they're some dark metal band, some force of negativity. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Their music is so deeply human and more often than not positive and life-affirming. What's negative about Lateralus or Parabola? And Jimmy... what a song (I know, I know Jimmy and Parabola weren't on the setlist... I'm just saying...) My take is that the author is going back to reunite himself with a version of himself who was wounded as a young boy "under a dead Ohio sky..." The more I read about Tool and Maynard in particular, the more Tool's songs resonated with me, probably because I could square some of the lyrics with what I'd gleaned about his own development. But the genius is that so many of Tool's songs slip away from straight narrative and blossom into something that transcends convention and specificity to become something that is at once very universal but at the same time deeply moving on a personal level, for me anyway, as a listener. I actually want to be a better person, a more responsible person in the most serious way, when I listen to Tool. And I suspect a lot of other people feel the same way. And to boot, they're an almost supernaturally talented foursome of artists. I mean Danny Carey... to watch him play live is to be utterly amazed. To see Maynard crouch and undulate to the music... it's incredible. But I preach to the choir, I'm sure. Goodness to you all. See you at a show some day maybe.
OFFLINE |  
matts4
06-12-2007, 04:10 AM

I all ready left one review for this show but I cant get it out of my head I thought about this show more than sex the last few days. It was that good!!! Since all we have is words to describe the show you will never know the greatness of this show unless you where there. The crowd was great and the band responded. So future crowds need to remember to respect the band and have fun and it will go well with you.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:10 AM   #32
Level 2 - Poster

I all ready left one review for this show but I cant get it out of my head I thought about this show more than sex the last few days. It was that good!!! Since all we have is words to describe the show you will never know the greatness of this show unless you where there. The crowd was great and the band responded. So future crowds need to remember to respect the band and have fun and it will go well with you.
OFFLINE |  
VooDoo2u55's Avatar VooDoo2u55
06-13-2007, 09:17 AM

First off I love tool. Im just wondering If anyone was at the same richmond show I was? Can anyone confirm they heard what I & my husband heard? I see there are many here who heard the part about performing the songs millions of times and having to go to a dark place to do so and Maynard did say We " Richmond" was the easiest However He followed that with "With your silly little cameras flashing in my face!! Also his promise to return sounded more sarcastic Thank you Richmond we'll be back soon Ya real soon.
I love the music and waited alot of years to see these guys the music was awsone they had a great sound and the light show was interesting, But I left the show feeling a bit ripped off Maynard did'nt interact with his fans and his parting words were rude. Ill still buy the CD's and listen to there music. Im not looking for some die hard fan to crucify me for my feelings on the show Im just putting it out there what i heard and how i felt about the show,
VooDoo Girl

Last edited by VooDoo2u55; 06-13-2007 at 10:40 AM..
Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

First off I love tool. Im just wondering If anyone was at the same richmond show I was? Can anyone confirm they heard what I & my husband heard? I see there are many here who heard the part about performing the songs millions of times and having to go to a dark place to do so and Maynard did say We " Richmond" was the easiest However He followed that with "With your silly little cameras flashing in my face!! Also his promise to return sounded more sarcastic Thank you Richmond we'll be back soon Ya real soon.
I love the music and waited alot of years to see these guys the music was awsone they had a great sound and the light show was interesting, But I left the show feeling a bit ripped off Maynard did'nt interact with his fans and his parting words were rude. Ill still buy the CD's and listen to there music. Im not looking for some die hard fan to crucify me for my feelings on the show Im just putting it out there what i heard and how i felt about the show,
VooDoo Girl

Last edited by VooDoo2u55; 06-13-2007 at 10:40 AM..
OFFLINE |  
facelessDrone
06-13-2007, 05:34 PM

He sounded very sincere to me. I remember what he said pretty clearly:

"Thank you very much....we've played these songs a million times, but it still takes us to a dark place...it takes a lot out of you...it takes a lot of time, a lot of energy, and it makes it a lot easier when you're not taking pictures with those silly cameras (?)...this it the easiest it's been so far, you've all been great and made it really easy for us, thank you very much....thank you, we'll be back very soon."

Since the past shows have had people using flash cameras, I think he was expressing his appreciation that the Richmond crowd (by and large) was not. I can't say for sure that there were NO flashes since I was too busy watching the band =D, but the crowd seemed to be VERY respectful throughout the entire show and I think he genuinely appreciated that.

His words and his tone, to me, seemed very heartfelt and real. Plus, in the past, whenever he's said anything scathing or derogatory to the crowd, it's been pretty obvious.

Sorry you didn't feel the same, that was really a high point of the night for me. For what it's worth, I think you might have just misread him; might help make your memory of the show happier if you think of it that way =D

Last edited by facelessDrone; 06-13-2007 at 05:38 PM..
Old 06-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #34
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17

He sounded very sincere to me. I remember what he said pretty clearly:

"Thank you very much....we've played these songs a million times, but it still takes us to a dark place...it takes a lot out of you...it takes a lot of time, a lot of energy, and it makes it a lot easier when you're not taking pictures with those silly cameras (?)...this it the easiest it's been so far, you've all been great and made it really easy for us, thank you very much....thank you, we'll be back very soon."

Since the past shows have had people using flash cameras, I think he was expressing his appreciation that the Richmond crowd (by and large) was not. I can't say for sure that there were NO flashes since I was too busy watching the band =D, but the crowd seemed to be VERY respectful throughout the entire show and I think he genuinely appreciated that.

His words and his tone, to me, seemed very heartfelt and real. Plus, in the past, whenever he's said anything scathing or derogatory to the crowd, it's been pretty obvious.

Sorry you didn't feel the same, that was really a high point of the night for me. For what it's worth, I think you might have just misread him; might help make your memory of the show happier if you think of it that way =D

Last edited by facelessDrone; 06-13-2007 at 05:38 PM..
OFFLINE |  
VooDoo2u55's Avatar VooDoo2u55
06-15-2007, 07:53 AM

Faceless,
Thank you. It does help to know i may have heard wrong.
VooDoo Girl

VooDoo
Old 06-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Faceless,
Thank you. It does help to know i may have heard wrong.
VooDoo Girl

VooDoo
OFFLINE |  
parabol37
06-15-2007, 08:16 PM

This show was so awesome. I think it was better than when I saw them at Camden NJ last year. Wings/10,000 Days might have been the highlight for me. Maynard was unbelievable as usual. Well, all of them were, but I can never believe how well Maynard's voice holds up. Adam played one hell of a guitar break in Pushit, which I never expected to hear.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that I loved all the jamming stuff in between songs.

And the security was sort of annoying. They didn't even want people pulling out cell phones. They made some people leave for it. But it did not really affect the whole experience.

Last edited by parabol37; 06-15-2007 at 08:19 PM..
Old 06-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #36
Level 3 - Talker

This show was so awesome. I think it was better than when I saw them at Camden NJ last year. Wings/10,000 Days might have been the highlight for me. Maynard was unbelievable as usual. Well, all of them were, but I can never believe how well Maynard's voice holds up. Adam played one hell of a guitar break in Pushit, which I never expected to hear.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that I loved all the jamming stuff in between songs.

And the security was sort of annoying. They didn't even want people pulling out cell phones. They made some people leave for it. But it did not really affect the whole experience.

Last edited by parabol37; 06-15-2007 at 08:19 PM..
OFFLINE |  
FortySix&Two
06-17-2007, 01:23 PM

I was late to this show...I think I came in, in the middle of stinkfist or forty six and two...had GA Floor tickets thanks to TA, ..sucks having to fight the existing crowd to get closer and to see the band, but I appreciated my spot in the house all the same.

As for the show, it was fucking amazing...even given the circumstances of being late to the show, and not always being able to see the band clearly, this show, and the baltimore show the night after had to be my best experiences thus far, out of 6 shows. Goddamn they kicked ass. And Maynard's words were definitely sincere...something special definitely happened between those two shows.. also, walking down the streets of Richmond after the show, I happened upon a TOOL tour shirt someone must have dropped accidentaly...SCORE! ...that made my night even better, number 5 in my collection :D The light show was unfuckingbelievable..they just keep topping themselves over and over. Those UFO like ones were incredible.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #37
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2

I was late to this show...I think I came in, in the middle of stinkfist or forty six and two...had GA Floor tickets thanks to TA, ..sucks having to fight the existing crowd to get closer and to see the band, but I appreciated my spot in the house all the same.

As for the show, it was fucking amazing...even given the circumstances of being late to the show, and not always being able to see the band clearly, this show, and the baltimore show the night after had to be my best experiences thus far, out of 6 shows. Goddamn they kicked ass. And Maynard's words were definitely sincere...something special definitely happened between those two shows.. also, walking down the streets of Richmond after the show, I happened upon a TOOL tour shirt someone must have dropped accidentaly...SCORE! ...that made my night even better, number 5 in my collection :D The light show was unfuckingbelievable..they just keep topping themselves over and over. Those UFO like ones were incredible.
OFFLINE |  
AntonC12
06-21-2007, 12:09 PM

I was trying to recall as i thought back to fucking amazing experience on the floor, 2 rows from the front right near Adam. Didn't MJK mention how he was hungry for waffles? I could have sworn he said something like that and used the word in Jambi like: "Feast like a sultan i do, on waffles and flesh never few." I remember hearing this and laughing my ass off

Does anyone else remember that?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

I was trying to recall as i thought back to fucking amazing experience on the floor, 2 rows from the front right near Adam. Didn't MJK mention how he was hungry for waffles? I could have sworn he said something like that and used the word in Jambi like: "Feast like a sultan i do, on waffles and flesh never few." I remember hearing this and laughing my ass off

Does anyone else remember that?
OFFLINE |  
gongboy
06-23-2007, 07:57 PM

Anton:

I laughed, too. I guess he sometimes says "waffles", and I noticed it to, and giggled. None of my friends really understood...

I heard the waffle lyric, too.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:57 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Anton:

I laughed, too. I guess he sometimes says "waffles", and I noticed it to, and giggled. None of my friends really understood...

I heard the waffle lyric, too.
OFFLINE |  
Anon-Imus's Avatar Anon-Imus
06-24-2007, 06:28 PM

This was one of many times I have seen our guys give us a live performance of the songs we all own, play over and over, and still understand nothing. I think when I see them live every time, my heart starts to beat in time with the music and my lungs cannot keep up. I will review my perception of the show, start to finish, to excrete my longings to see them once more before they decide to hide in their caves and shun us from their brilliance. Give me Tool, or give me sensory deprivation.
To start, tickets released 04/16. When I started to look for this venue, the floor was sold out, fuck. Then I found that Ticketmaster was auctioning off the last two tickets (as far as I know) for floor admission. I bid and won them on 4/20, celebrated the holiday as NORML, but with a grin and relentless boasting to everyone, Toolie or not.
The day of the show, I wore one of the only white Tool T-shirts I know, Alex Grey's eyes in a circle spiral tunnel with my infamous silver pants (Thanks for everyone that praised the silver pants.)
Waited in line, baked and sun bathing, for 2 hours. Entered the coliseum, found my floor spot up front 3 rows back from the stage, and watched MB. Lead singer inaudible, guitars too loud and distorted, and the band needed subtitles behind them for translation. Bass player and drummer kicked cock-ayass. Then the roars and screams.
To set all you stadium seaters straight, the floor was not calm one bit. To give you newbie Toolies an inkling, the Lateralus Richmond show was raw, like the kind of mauling these New Metal black T-shirt and camoflauge shorts-wearing, moshers dream the stadium secrurity would allow them do. Imagine the last day of Woodstock '99, without the fires. But the Man thinks he has to protect ourselves from ourselves, and protect himself from lawsuits. Pittsburg last Sept. had fold out chairs for the floor with security patrolling the aisles like a prison showing of Shawshank Redemption. However, the floor for Richmond remained over packed and raw as ever. But, security behind the wall whose sole purpose back with the Lateralus tour was to catch crowd surfers and redistribute to swim upstream. Now, they had warden flashlights to point out trouble areas. A guy put his woman on his shoulders to flash tits as expected, and the security flashed his flashlight at the guy and shouted for him to put her down. The guy declined politely, and security came out on the floor and removed them. Excuse us for having fun. The police state continued to attempt to catch moshers in the act, but failed numerously. Mosh pits broke out up front when us watching the show held the line and kept them from skipping line to the front. I had about 30 or 40 elbows jammed in my back, which I enjoyed. Security is for the public. This was our private way to enjoy our show.
Anyway, on the floor, the show was spectacular. Lasers bounced off the front of the stage and over my head, close enough to grab.
You had to be at the show to appreciate the improvisations made that night. I swore I heard "Sober," and I left thinking so and seeing the video on the back drop. I might have just been tripping and heard pushit, and wished I heard Sober. I should've been sober.
No "the Pot" this time. I was not surprised, as many unaware of Tool have heard and loved the song with all the radio attention they get now. I would rather see them again as I did in '92 with the first EP. Maybe someone complained about the smoke coming from the crowd. I wish people would stop complaining and ruining it for everyone. Tip: Stop complaining, or the government will pass a law that all Americans will be grafted with packing bubbles, global positioning receivers, and catheders with hourly urinalysis tests, to ensure our safety from our own fears of self destruction. Why not allow the rich to do what they want, and we take it up the ass like our forefathers? Submission is so much easier than complaining, you don't know you can have it any better.
Furthermore, for anyone with connections with the Tool show, tell them the Floor cannot hear anything that Maynard says or sings. They are going to have to do better than those same old horned PA's from the ceiling. Great for stadium seating, bad for the floor.
Puscifer hoodies are now coming in blaze orange, and ATF is no longer cool. Pigtails for those with long hair, and guitar distortion with pedals is much better by Justin than MB, which I think they allowed them to open because Tool heard what they are doing with distortion, wanted to use it, but didn't want to get sued.
Left the show that night, drenched in mine and others' sweat, and drove home 5 hours. AC/DC blasting the whole way home. "West Virginia brandy, comes in pretty handy." "Why can't I not be sober?"
Tool recorded gets you through the day without breaking bad on the ones that annoy and erk. Tool live renews life and enters your soul, to feel human emotion and contact, sharing with others an experience that will forever change your life, inducting you to a new level of meditation, self serching, and masterbation until nothing but air comes out.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:28 PM   #40
Level 4 - Thinker

This was one of many times I have seen our guys give us a live performance of the songs we all own, play over and over, and still understand nothing. I think when I see them live every time, my heart starts to beat in time with the music and my lungs cannot keep up. I will review my perception of the show, start to finish, to excrete my longings to see them once more before they decide to hide in their caves and shun us from their brilliance. Give me Tool, or give me sensory deprivation.
To start, tickets released 04/16. When I started to look for this venue, the floor was sold out, fuck. Then I found that Ticketmaster was auctioning off the last two tickets (as far as I know) for floor admission. I bid and won them on 4/20, celebrated the holiday as NORML, but with a grin and relentless boasting to everyone, Toolie or not.
The day of the show, I wore one of the only white Tool T-shirts I know, Alex Grey's eyes in a circle spiral tunnel with my infamous silver pants (Thanks for everyone that praised the silver pants.)
Waited in line, baked and sun bathing, for 2 hours. Entered the coliseum, found my floor spot up front 3 rows back from the stage, and watched MB. Lead singer inaudible, guitars too loud and distorted, and the band needed subtitles behind them for translation. Bass player and drummer kicked cock-ayass. Then the roars and screams.
To set all you stadium seaters straight, the floor was not calm one bit. To give you newbie Toolies an inkling, the Lateralus Richmond show was raw, like the kind of mauling these New Metal black T-shirt and camoflauge shorts-wearing, moshers dream the stadium secrurity would allow them do. Imagine the last day of Woodstock '99, without the fires. But the Man thinks he has to protect ourselves from ourselves, and protect himself from lawsuits. Pittsburg last Sept. had fold out chairs for the floor with security patrolling the aisles like a prison showing of Shawshank Redemption. However, the floor for Richmond remained over packed and raw as ever. But, security behind the wall whose sole purpose back with the Lateralus tour was to catch crowd surfers and redistribute to swim upstream. Now, they had warden flashlights to point out trouble areas. A guy put his woman on his shoulders to flash tits as expected, and the security flashed his flashlight at the guy and shouted for him to put her down. The guy declined politely, and security came out on the floor and removed them. Excuse us for having fun. The police state continued to attempt to catch moshers in the act, but failed numerously. Mosh pits broke out up front when us watching the show held the line and kept them from skipping line to the front. I had about 30 or 40 elbows jammed in my back, which I enjoyed. Security is for the public. This was our private way to enjoy our show.
Anyway, on the floor, the show was spectacular. Lasers bounced off the front of the stage and over my head, close enough to grab.
You had to be at the show to appreciate the improvisations made that night. I swore I heard "Sober," and I left thinking so and seeing the video on the back drop. I might have just been tripping and heard pushit, and wished I heard Sober. I should've been sober.
No "the Pot" this time. I was not surprised, as many unaware of Tool have heard and loved the song with all the radio attention they get now. I would rather see them again as I did in '92 with the first EP. Maybe someone complained about the smoke coming from the crowd. I wish people would stop complaining and ruining it for everyone. Tip: Stop complaining, or the government will pass a law that all Americans will be grafted with packing bubbles, global positioning receivers, and catheders with hourly urinalysis tests, to ensure our safety from our own fears of self destruction. Why not allow the rich to do what they want, and we take it up the ass like our forefathers? Submission is so much easier than complaining, you don't know you can have it any better.
Furthermore, for anyone with connections with the Tool show, tell them the Floor cannot hear anything that Maynard says or sings. They are going to have to do better than those same old horned PA's from the ceiling. Great for stadium seating, bad for the floor.
Puscifer hoodies are now coming in blaze orange, and ATF is no longer cool. Pigtails for those with long hair, and guitar distortion with pedals is much better by Justin than MB, which I think they allowed them to open because Tool heard what they are doing with distortion, wanted to use it, but didn't want to get sued.
Left the show that night, drenched in mine and others' sweat, and drove home 5 hours. AC/DC blasting the whole way home. "West Virginia brandy, comes in pretty handy." "Why can't I not be sober?"
Tool recorded gets you through the day without breaking bad on the ones that annoy and erk. Tool live renews life and enters your soul, to feel human emotion and contact, sharing with others an experience that will forever change your life, inducting you to a new level of meditation, self serching, and masterbation until nothing but air comes out.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply