opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 15. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 06-26-2003, 09:43 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
What is a third eye?

For me this seems pretty obvious, its a third dimentional feeling if you'll call it that, that can only be obtained through drugs or meditation. Maybe this can help you judge yourself from an external point of view when you're in that feeling.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 07:25 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

The third eye is the window through which you can see your anima, or soul-image. I don't believe you can see it with drugs, no matter what. A lot of people here might disagree, but I've tried it both ways. Through meditation it is possible, but I believe that that eye opens on its own, in moments of spiritual clarity. If you try to "think" the eye open, it's going to close up.

"So good to see you. (You = the anima/soul)
I've missed you so much. (Clouded by drugs, depression, and abuse since childhood)
So glad it's over. ("So glad I'm sober", maybe?)
Why are you running away?" (Because you're prying, damnit!)
Prying open my third eye.
Chasing the tail of dogma. (Trying to find the soul through religion)
I opened my eye and there we were. (Just opening the eye, not trying to force it open)
Chasing a trail of smoke and reason. (Trying to find the soul with drugs (see "Flood") or over-thinking (see "Lateralus").
Old 07-08-2003, 09:37 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

The third eye is your penial gland. the gland in your brain that produces DMT (dimethyltriptamine). I've read extensively about this drug, and the lyrics in this song resemble most accounts of DMT 'trips'. to me, this song is (maybe) maynard reliving one of his DMT experiences. i think its DMT in a nutshell.

P.S. if you don't think its about drugs, listen to the opening
Old 07-25-2003, 11:34 PM   #4
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: What is a third eye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himself
P.S. if you don't think its about drugs, listen to the opening
Well, not necessarily. With Tool, there is usually a deeper meaning than what the song seems to be about. I wouldn't doubt if the Bill Hicks routines were there just to throw us off and tribute Bill Hicks at the same time. But, then again, you never can tell with Tool.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:07 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

smoke and reason

havn't any of you realized that this whole discussion is chasing a trail of smoke and reason. you want any answers, look within yourselves. if that doesn't help, i suggest reading any books by vernon howard. have fun chasin your tail of dogma.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:15 PM   #6
Level 2 - Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNinja23
The third eye is the window through which you can see your anima, or soul-image. I don't believe you can see it with drugs, no matter what. A lot of people here might disagree, but I've tried it both ways. Through meditation it is possible, but I believe that that eye opens on its own, in moments of spiritual clarity. If you try to "think" the eye open, it's going to close up.

I've missed you so much. (Clouded by drugs, depression, and abuse since childhood)
I opened my eye and there we were. (Just opening the eye, not trying to force it open)
Chasing a trail of smoke and reason. (Trying to find the soul with drugs (see "Flood") or over-thinking (see "Lateralus").
But in both zen and traditional buddhism, the third eye, which points inward can be opened through drugs. There are a lot of people that believe that when you are on an mushrooms you are finally able to see through your third eye clearly. There are meditations for the third eye to be opened, i practice them and they actually seem more like relaxation exercises than anything.

Of course, this is me taking buddhism into account, there i always the possibility of the Hindu reference to the sharkra or third eye. (the little dot you see on hindi's heads is basically a contact lens for the third eye). But i don't know much about the sharkra, if you do, reply to this with some info as to whether or not it pertains to the song and why or why not
Old 08-03-2003, 12:13 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:

you are very right... meditaion is away to get to seeing through your third eye... I have tried but once i did I was haunted by the skeletons of my past... once i got through them I found inner peace
Old 02-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #8

Bincount™: 41

Quote:

What about "Came out to watch you play?"
Old 02-10-2004, 03:14 PM   #9

Bincount™: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-bay-be
you are very right... meditaion is away to get to seeing through your third eye... I have tried but once i did I was haunted by the skeletons of my past... once i got through them I found inner peace

He Sticks his handsinto the Shadow The Vessel He cannot Recongnzie.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:29 PM   #10
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 2

Quote:

i disagree to nearly everything you have said, cant be bothered explaining my point of view.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:24 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

I think this is different for everyone.

To me its the part of me that lets me see things as they really are.
Or another words, being able to draw concluions from things even though all of my experiences would never have led me to such a thought.

you simply "feel" it.

Re-Connect _Reflect_Realize

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: