opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » Ænima » 15. Third Eye
User Name
Password
Old 04-30-2003, 07:48 PM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 277
I love this song

This song is addictive. Sometimes I pop Ænima in just to listen to Third Eye. Sometimes I find myself putting it on repeat and listening to it multiple times in a row. But when I really think about it, I can't really put a finger on what makes this song so good. Maybe there's something going on subconsciously or something :)

Does this song have the same effect on anyone else?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 01:45 PM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
I love this song too. For so long I listened to it and never could find anything on what it means. Until I downloaded a audio clip off Kazaa, Bill Hicks - Acid.mp3 I tells excatly what I think the song means. It is a postive outlook on drugs. The song to me is about spiritual discovery on drugs. The one drug that did that for me was ecstasy. One night I went to stay at a college with my cousin. We both took three tabs of X. It was a shitload for me. I rolled so hard. During the three hours of my high I relized that all my asshole ways were really unessecary. X makes you open up and be vunerable. That night was a turning point for me, an epiphany. Since then I find myself feeling happy for no reason. I am better able to make friends. Whenever I hear third eye I think of that night everytime. I almost feel like I rolling. My heart starts beating fast, my hands get sweaty and the music sounds so damn good. That was my very positve experience on drugs. Heres Tom with the Weather.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:58 PM   #3
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 62
Third Eye is the best song I've ever heard.

And I don't think the lyrics has anything to do with drugs...it's about becoming open-minded to 'impossible' things such as God, like a child is...but that's just my opinion and what the lyrics mean to me. I don't know about the beginning "Drugs have done some good things for us..."-part much though.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:00 AM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 62
Actually I now think it's about becoming open-minded by using drugs. Becoming open-minded as a child (though children usually don't do drugs). But if there's no other way to open the third eye than drugs... It is said that the third eye can be activated by meditation...

I dunno anymore...It's kinda combination of drugs, God, open-mindedness and children's way of thinking...gaining something that was lost by any means...
Old 06-04-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
Banned.

Bincount™: 277
I'm not sure what it's about cause I'm not that much of a lyrics analyzer, more of a music analyzer. Although the Bill Hicks clip kind of sums up the whole theme of the song anyways (drugs). And then the lyrics later in the song are about opening your mind (prying open my third eye).

But one thing that I believed since the first time I heard this song was that they were on drugs when they wrote this song. Its general sound is so much different than all the other songs on Ænima and it's a pretty trippy song. But maybe it is just that they felt like making a weird song. I don't know. Either way, it's still an awesome song.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:47 PM   #6
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

yes, this is one of my favorites (the Salival version is my favorite songs of all time). The guitars are so lush and the dynamics are incredible... this is one of my favorite performances from Maynard as well.

Lyrically, I think, like most of Tool's songs, it has a general theme that can be applied to many things. The theme is, well, opening your 'third eye', not necisarily in the literal or even dogmatic sense. Rather, more allowing yourself to experience things from a view point that is spiritual as well as mental and physical. Could it be applied to drugs? yes, and it could be applied to religion, meditation, philosophy, a certain life style, or just a state of mind.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:13 PM   #7
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

i don't know,

I think the song is more about God and humans

The teller of the story would be God.

It's like God was gone or something and then he comes back (perhaps the story of Adam and Eve) and is like: it's so good to see you, I missed you, but then later it becomes where they are hiding from God "I thought that you were hiding, you thought that I had runaway"

and then like humanity keeps trying to figure God out and over analyze things like we're prying open his third eye metaphorically speaking, and it sounds like a very sad song because it's like why are you running away? why don't you come back to me? kind of thing..

but

that's just my
Opinion.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:23 PM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

I'm seeing some pretty imaginative theories, here.

Personally, I feel it's about a specific psychedelic experience that one, or all of the members of tool had. Maybe they were tripping on acid when they wrote the song (or peyote, because there's a specific reference in the lyrics to peyote). I think it's Tool's version of "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast".

Third Eye is definitely my favorite tool song, probably my favorite song of all time. I don't know what it is, but there's something about it....

I really want to listen to this song on mushrooms, has anyone else done that yet?
Old 07-24-2003, 08:10 PM   #9
Level 1 - Lurker

Re: I love this song

This song is not about drugs. The Bill Hicks quotes makes you think that but listen to what he's really saying in the second quote. Life is only a dream and we're just an imagination of ourselves. The song is very psychedelic and I believe TOOL just wanted to add to it by putting all the drug references at the beginning. The song is about a spiritual search. Its like a dialogue with God really. He ran away looking for something but just found out God was there the whole time.

Also, the line "came out to watch you play" is refering to life being a game and God is just watching you play and God is asking why he's running away from him.

At the beginning of the song he talks about a bright blue shimmering light. In dream interpretation this a symbol for the higher-self or spiritual-self.

I can go on and on about this song and if you'd like to discuss it further feel free to email me at [email protected]
Old 08-18-2003, 11:06 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

I am of the opinion that Tool was in fact referencing other Bill Hicks material. Could be wrong, but I was listening to Rant in E Minor, and Bill talks about taking a "heroic dose" of shrooms.(5 dried grams...) He talked alot about having his "third eye" squeegied quite clean in the process, and talked about coming to a spiritual revalation. Anyway, that's my opinion...
Old 08-19-2003, 11:37 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Yes, Bill Hicks does talk a lot about the "third eye", so that too is a reference to his act. There are Hicks references throughout the album, for example "arizona bay" is the title of one of his albums.

If you don't think this song's about drugs, you're in denial. Why would there be three blatant drug references at the beginning and at least one blatant drug reference in the actual lyrics of the song (phosphorescent desert buttons, singing one familiar song)? That doesn't mean it can't also be about a spiritual search though, I think it's about both, a spiritual search using peyote seems most likely to me.

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: