opin.menu.members.jpgopin.menu.forumfaq.jpgopin.menu.search.jpgopin.menu.home.jpgview our wiki

Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Live » Concert Reviews: Aug-Oct 2006
User Name
Password
Old 07-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Stealth Bomber

Bincount™: 37
2006/10/05 - Hartford, CT - Hartford Civic Center

SETLIST --

Stinkfist
The Pot
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænema

*DO NOT POST IF YOU WERE NOT AT THE SHOW!

"Does this person ever post or is he a waste of space?" - fuckBrokers
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
Fo3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/10/05 - Hartford, CT - Hartford Civic Center

This is my first show for any band. And it was purely amazing.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Level 2 - Poster

Wow....I was at the show in mansfield last week....First of all, fuck the civic center. That being said, TooL put on a great show. It seemed like Danny was having a little trouble with his kit, anyone else notice that? Maynard did not say much between songs but was very animated. Justin was crazy, Adam is purley a god on the axe.

I had an idea after watching TooL sit on the stage taking it all in. I wonder if they are just reveling in the momnet because this is the last time they will tour. What does everyone else think?

I hope I'm wrong.

The people in Mansfield have better weed, I was sitting with a bunch of pot heads, but that is fine, I'd rather deal with thaat than complete drunken idiots. Plus I smoke too, just not that much

Setlist was the same as all the rest of the shows, but it was still great. I could watch those guys every night

Glad I got to see TooL again, they never disapoint.

Next stop Jersey

Peace

Out
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Well... that was an experience. First a setlist for those craving it. Yes it was the same as always.

Stinkfist (O.T.R.M.)
The Pot
-Nice little jam intro to..
Forty Six & 2
Jambi
Schism (Crazy Double Time Version)
Lost Keys
Rosetta Stoned
Wings for Marie
10,000 Days
-Intermission
Lateralus
-Very cool keyboard/guitar jam intro to...
Vicarious
Aenima

This show was a kind of late birthday gift for my mom. I came in from out of town to take her to this show, cutting class. It was a great ride up listening to 10KDays, and eventually getting to Hartford, parking and waiting outside to try and sell the two extra tickets we had. That didn't work so well. We got in, saw the last two songs Isis did. For being loud and having some vocals I wasn't fond of, they really weren't all that bad. I dug that last song they did, whatever it was, if anyone knows.

Tool took the stage at 9:15. Our seats, against the wall in section 123, were not great, but better than bleechers. Maynard was wearing his cowboy hat and ATF jacket, but he lost the hat about halfway through the first song. The awesomeness began Maynard saying, "Wake up!" and went right into it with "Stinkfist," and I was expecting the O.T.R.M. I heard from the Lateralus tour in Boston. And sure enough, I was right, and right about then I knew they weren't changing the setlist. Until later on in the night, that was about all Maynard said to us, but it doesn't matter because this song just shredded it open.

"The Pot" came next, and the timing seemed a little different than normal, but overall the song just went exactly as it should. From where I was I got the feeling that people didn't know the "new" album, as I seemed to be the only one singing along.

Next came this super intro that kinda reminded me of a more electronic version of "Merkaba." I was very happy.

My mom was really hoping for "Forty Six & 2," and I decided not to tell her they'd play it for suspense. When they did, she was happily surprised, but I missed the beginning because security was taking care of a situation with some drunken peoples.

It was right around then that I really got the feeling that the crowd was bad. I wasn't on the floor, I know, but from up on ground level I got the feeling that way too much alcohol was being consumed. They were all about banging their heads to the music and screaming, "Fucking Tool!" (Note: They apparently don't have any sense of rhythm with their headbanging when hammered.) Maynard's lack of communication kinda gave me the idea he didn't like the crowd either.

"Jambi" This song is amazing live. My neck hurt from this song alone. Adam and Justin played off of each other so naturally it was mind-boggling. That's all I gotta say.

"Schism" came next. I heard something about a double-time middle part but goddamn! I had no idea it was so... well, fast. Everyone was perfectly in tune with each other, especially Danny. Danny's drumming is always a sight to see but during this faster Schism, you really gotta sit back and marvel at the unity these guys have, following each other perfectly to the note even during something seemingly so chaotic. I hope to hear a recorded version of this somewhere.

During "Lost Keys" I thought they'd play the vocal sample exchange between the nurse and doctor. They didn't. But it doesn't matter, because "Rosetta Stoned" was unfuckingbelievable. Every note was perfect, and Maynard had a little vocal box that he used for the voice-distortion parts right alongside his regular mic. However, halfway through the screen above the middle of the arena started to mess up, and continued to do so all night. :(

All I have to say for "Wings/Days" is that musically, it was the most impressive thing I've seen in years. Every note perfect. Every note full of the deep emotion you really could feel. Visually, with the fog and lasers and lightning effects, I was in awe. But the crowd was just fucking awful. Everybody in the stands were screaming and going up to get more beer during "Wings," like it was a little jam, and when "10,000 Days" started, they would cheer like it was a song they knew. People overall just made me angry because they couldn't sit and really remove themselves enough to enjoy the emotional experiences of these two songs.

Intermission = Lots of Cellphones standing in for lighters... and then lots of lighters. Lots of lighters.

Before "Lateralus," Maynard finally spoke. What did he say? "Pittsburgh was louder," to which we tried to match. In response he said "They got 'tits' in their name, man, c'mon" Again, not enough people really loving the show enough to make enough noise.

"Lateralus"... Wow. This song was just amazing. It was last tour as well, but the addition of the extra visuals really made the experience more engrossing. I was totally taken away by the intensity of this song, as I always am. A must-see live.

There was a long music segue here. It had a lot of Maynard on the keyboard and Adam messing around the same equipment he used during "Jambi." Whatever it is, I wanna hear more, because it was really interesting.

"Vicarious" was next, and to tell you the truth I had my doubts. I'm not the hugest fan of this song when it comes to the rest of the album, but my god it kicks so much ass live. Everyone was really into it.

However, right before the last song of the night, Maynard had one last shot to make. "Next stop? Jerrrrseeyyyy! (Insert boos from the crowd) Peace. Out." And so they went into "Aenima" on a kinda sour note. I really kinda felt like this was Maynard showing his displeasure with the crowd as a whole. It's sad, he seemed in such a good mood when he came out.

Oh yeah. "Aenima" is still one the greatest songs to see live. No doubt whatsoever. Still very powerful, and because seemingly everyone in the crowd knew it, it was the perfect way to end the show.

Overall, the band was still at their musical apex. Absolutely. There is no band out there that I would see over Tool. They are the best show in town without any question. While this wasn't as magical an experience as seeing them on the Lateralus tour, it was still one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Even if the crowd disappointed me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Third show of 10k Days tour, Mansfield sounded better for me, plus better seats. Intense as always, nice and LOUD! Pretty crisp, if you knew what to listen for it was there. If you didn't know, you just found out.
Just ate some leftover chinese, now I'm goin' to bed
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1

great show
the lights & shit were crazy
nothing id expect tool to do
when they sat down & everyone had the lighters up
was very cool
maynard told us pittsburg was louder
& we shouldnt let a place with pit in its name win or soemthing
lateralus ripped
and vicarious
i also liked maynards outro
"peace....out" then the ah ah ah ah from aenima
did anyone else notice the dude in the white suit
during lateralus..he was fixin the drums or something
what was up w that?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Level 1 - Lurker

Just got back after the show now. Phenominal!! I was at the Tweeter Center show last friday and this one in Hartford was definitely better. The visuals with the lasers were so much more intense indoors, bouncing off the floor. Just great. I can't put it into words. Sat on the floor in section 3, I was the shirtless guy waving my shirt around like a rally towel at the end of the show. Loved every second of it.... the guy next to me might have been tripping his face off, seemed a tad confused at times. No complaints just absolute enjoyment.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 3653

amazing. i loved how everyone was singing along to aenima
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

what was up w that?

That guy was Danny's tech, he was fixing a cymbal stand, he sits behind danny for every show incase shit breaks
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

This is my 3rd TOOL show. The set was exactly the same as the previous few, but they played the 'encore' as Lateralus, Vicarious, then AEnima. Maynard didn't say much except "pennsylvania was louder" and "jersey is up next..." (then something sarcastic about New Jersey.) The crowd was into it most of the time except for rosetta stoned and through 10000 days. The largest roar of the crowd came at the very end with the group hug.

The sound, in my opinion, had way too much bass and Maynard's vocals were just too quiet most of the time, even during Wings.

The lasers... One great big festering neon distraction? I thought they were actually pretty cool.

The screens were only like 5 feet tall here, i think Maynard was a few inches taller than them, if you were in the back of the floor section, you really couldn't see anything.

I'd just like to finish by giving a shout out to the two balding pear-shaped idiots wearing white tool shirts who were told to get off their chairs about ten times, dude, if you're reading this... you're just not supposed to stand the chairs. maybe pepper spray is a better deterrent than a flashlight in the face?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #11
Level 2 - Poster

Maybe I'm just ungrateful? It really was an amazing show. I apologize if it made it seem like I hated the show, because I loved it as much as anything else in the world. Hehe..

Oh, and I concur on Danny having some trouble with his drum kit. It happened throughout a couple songs, actually. I think "Rosetta Stoned" and "Vicarious" and maybe another.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #12
Level 2 - Poster

Bluethunder, I agree about the sound, Maynards vocals could have been a bit louder. The sound at the Mansfield show was way better, it could have been because I was sitting by the sound board, it could also be because the Civic Center Blows for shows
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyboy25 View Post
Bluethunder, I agree about the sound, Maynards vocals could have been a bit louder. The sound at the Mansfield show was way better, it could have been because I was sitting by the sound board, it could also be because the Civic Center Blows for shows
True, I was about ten feet from the soundboard myself. But let's face it, the civic center is a hockey arena and the tweeter is an ampitheater.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Well this was my first Tool show ever. I seriously punched myself in the face 10k times for not ever going to see them live before. What a schmuck I am !! Anyways the concert was incredible. I really loved the stage setup that they had. It was very mesmerizing. THe laser lights were cool also. I also have to say that Danny is the fucking man !!!!! That guy is a genius on the drums. All the songs were great with my favorite being Lateralus of course :) Haven't listen to 10k days as much as I would have liked but it still rocked. Waiting for almost an hour in the parking garage after sucked though. There were some funny ass rednecks blasting Alice in Chains in the pickemup truck and drinking beers and they were cracking me up. There were a few fights here and there and I always laugh at that shit. Tool is awesome and people need to grow the fuck up and just enjoy the show. I really wish fags like that wouldn't go to shows because the ruin this shit for others. THat is my $.02 . Hope they come around later next year and blow out some more shows. I would definitely go see them again.

P.S. Did anyone see some guy dressed up as Jesus in the parking garage ? I had to do a double take but he was there :P
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #15
Level 1 - Lurker

This was also my first show, for any band. I thought the music was great, Tool played a great set. The lights were a neat addition to the show.

With that having been said... some of the dudes i was around were yelling screaming blabbering dicks. It took away from the experience of seeing this band live for the first time.

Overall though, it was good. Wish the crowd could've gotten into it a bit more (or at least the people around me). Hope to see 'em again sometime
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

this was my 5th. very very good. thank you Tool. it was very nice to experience Wings/10k days live~that one was for my late girlfriend and fan, whom i've been to a Tool show in the past with.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #17
Level 1 - Lurker

I've been waiting for about 4-5 years to finally see Tool live, and this concert was simply amazing. The setlist was the same as the recent concerts, but its still an awsome setlist. I couldn't have wished for anything more tonight, Tool sounded great. It seemed to me that they were actually enjoying the crowd rather than being disatisfied from it. If they werent digging the crowd would they have group hugged at the end and then clap to the audience for a couple minutes?

I had no problem with the crowd near me, everyone seemed to be digging the music. The visuals kicked ass, and like many others i think Lateralus was the best perfomance....even though every song they played was great in its own way. Ears ringing, neck is sore, and i can barely talk: signs of a great night.

Come around CT again Tool!!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #18
Level 3 - Talker

The band was very tight tonight. They performed each tune really well tonight in Hartford. Crowd was good, low volume of knuckle heads (sec 104) good energy but not as much as I have seen.....a good subdude though, into it without going over board.
Vocals were too low throughout but MJK went back to the dance moves he neglected in Manchester. No good jokes to accompany the "moves"....like...
"Front groin kick" during -Stink
"Twirling cowboy hat overhead" during -Jambi (riding the bomb?)
"Crazy hand over face with back bend" during "Dead-head chemistry" -R.Stoned
"Deep knee bend with pistol pull out cross chest" during -Lateralus
"Crab walk" during -Schism
All the classic "Standardisms" came out tonight. Even an old school "Pittsburg was louder"! Thats a new one......

Okay I'm just teasing above. This show TOOL has put together is phenominal. 4th show for me this tour, 3 in a row. Each night has had a different personality, Musically tonight was RIGHT ON and MJK'S input was above par.
From Stink to Aenima the show they pieced together and perform each night is a piece of art tuned real well and thrown at you to take from it what you will.....thats the deal, same set list yes, but every night is different and tonight was worth the drive.

1- Mansfield -12th row
2- Orpheum -15th row
2.5- Hartford -sec 104
4- Manchester -sec 120

Spiral Out!
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #19
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 137

Now, I had a pretty good time and everything. My seat kicked ass, section 114 row F (right near the floor and only 20 ft away from the stage.) But this was my third time seeing them this year. The set list dosn't change, and I don't care for the set list as is. The band also seemed to slip up, frequently...but perhaps thats just me.

I should have gone to Porcupine Tree.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:43 PM   #20
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Seriously...

I was in Mansfield last week and that show was a HUNDRED times better than the Civic Center (and the seats were basicallly the same.... 6th row in Mansfield, 3rd row in Hartford.)

The sound was fucking terrible. The vocals were drowned out by music about 60% of the time. It was terrible. The only thing that made that show was the ending of Lateralus, to me. (I mean, that can make ANY show) but I regret wasting the gas, money, and time to go to CT to see this just for the ending of Lateralus. It really wasn't worth it.

I finally saw Adam move... he was swaying back and forth to Jambi. or whatever the hell he was doing. Nice crowd, for the most part, but there was more a union at Mansfield. It was fuckin crazy, and it's quite obvious Maynard enjoyed the Mansfield show a lot more also.

5th time I've seen Tool, probably 5th show in ranking of how satisfied I was. (with Mansfield being #2, Lowell in '02 being #1.)

DHARMA, Porcupine Tree were playin tonight? No fuckin way, where? Fuck. I should've gone to that too.

p.s.
Anyone notice how things got so much more amplified after Danny hit the gong on Lateralus? FUCK, I LOVE THAT. SO. MUCH. MAN!

Last edited by Parallel; 10-05-2006 at 10:48 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #21

Funny moment :

while Isis were playing, guys from the right of the stage yelling "WE WANT TOOL!" and Isis' guitarist shaking his head back and forth like eeyore. man, it cracked me up. I generally hate those type of annoying bastards.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #22
Level 2 - Poster

It might have been due to our location in the place, but the audio mix seemed a bit bass-heavy, guitar-light; though vocals came through crystal clear to me. Which, on that subject, i highly, and i mean HIGHLY recommend everyone get ear filters (not earplugs - filters). I just tried out a brand called "Hearos" - they just cut about 12dB, which is perfect for getting the concert effect w/out killing your ears.

46&2: the harmonics sliced my skin and made it crawl away from me. Also cause my arms to life (I'm usually a hands-down concert goer, but this song was exceptionally played tonight)
Schizm: Hit me harder than usual. Normally I hear this song..but tonight I actually felt it.
10K days: tears streaming down my cheeks. what a song.

These guys never disappoint, but tonight they excelled.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallel View Post
Lowell in '02 being #1

DHARMA, Porcupine Tree were playin tonight? No fuckin way, where? Fuck. I should've gone to that too.
First- I agree with everything you said.
Second- Lowell in 02 was fucking awesome!
Third- Yes fuckin way. They were at the The Boston Berklee Performance Center. A buddy called me up and said he had an extra Porcupine ticket, and asked if I wanted to go. I said no, im seeing Tool tonight...and that was a mistake. A big mistake.

Last edited by Dharma Bear; 10-05-2006 at 11:16 PM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #24
Level 1 - Lurker

yeah lowell 02 was incredible. maynard was painted all blue with chakra dots and they opened with a passage to bangkok riff into cold and ugly and played 3rd eye. their last show at hartford was my favorite of all 13 shows. they played eulogy and undertow, ...the only time i have seen eulogy.

and yes porcupine tree played with robert fripp and adrian belew at berkley tonight. i had tickets to go but chose to go to tool. my father said fripp and belew were terrible but porcupine tree was incredible, he had never heard of them before.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #25
Level 4 - Thinker

3rd TOOL experience, and first for which Maynard wasn't behind his screen or whatever; seems to have left it for the time being in favor of his keyboard/vocal synth.

first off tho, i gotta say i was into ISIS (aside from the guitarist/lead vocalist seeming to think headbanging was part of his job description). i heard alot of dismissal of them as sounding alot like TOOL, and ok maybe they did. and maybe we'll eventually let ourselves just admit that TOOL's more or less the first band of a new genre of hard rock (or i suppose subgenre of metal), and other bands deserve to explore and create in that genre as well ;) ISIS' sound struck me as very similar to TOOL indeed, but much more high-end (tho not just treble) oriented. almost like taking the sound of every song on the deftones' white pony CD except "Passenger," and applying that sound to Ticks & Leeches and/or Third Eye. tho i can't really say if either ISIS or the Deftones are up to covering either of those songs...
liked the lighting for ISIS alot too; that said...

yeah, seems this particular venue does kinda suck; i was wondering why the show never sold out...
this should have been the best seating i've ever had for TOOL, and it -was- the closest. but then the place has permanent seating on the floor. i'm -maybe- a couple inches taller than MJK, which in that literal seating put most people's heads in front of me in direct line of sight with the band. considering that, and the design of the light show, as far as the visual side of things i can't help but think i might have been better off in second price-level seating. and since it's seating all on the same level surface, there was NO ROOM TO MOVE. Argh. i'm hoping they do a campus tour the second time around like they did for Lateralus, seeing them at Mullins would be perfect...

only other "bad" thing about this show for me was the guy a few rows behind me who decided to yell "SHITFUCK!" a few times in the beginning of Wings; man, whoever the fuck you are, you'd BETTER have been drunk doing that right then, all you did was make it sound like you should know just that much better. whatever.....

it was pretty apparent to me i was only getting a secondary perspective on alot of the visual effects, but the sound i was getting was just fine thanks. :D
they're doing jammy/experimental stuff more in concert in general than they even were when i saw them 3 or 4 years back, which i'm very happy about.
also i have to say i didn't appreciate Rosetta Stoned nearly as much before this performance of it. fucking LOVE IT. the "CB mic" unit MJK had strapped to himself (so he could dance/contort himself at will while using the mic, i guess) was a cool touch too, went well with the cowboy hat.
i didn't get into it as much as RS this time, but i can't wait to hear Jambi live again, have a feeling it's gonna lay me out the second time

heh um the comment about pittsburgh being louder (MJK's favorite joke? contender at least... ;) ) *was* followed by a joke about pittsburgh, something about it sucking for them to have "pitts" in their city's name, why couldn't it be "tiits", i didn't hear the rest clearly tho.

i thought the band taking a break and enjoying the sight of all the lighters was a pretty chill moment, particularly with Justin putting up his lighter for a long time as well.
funny how he seems to have been designated in particular to take some of the focus off Maynard, makes sense for the guys tho i guess, pretty counterintuitive role for a bassist.

k, happy to have experienced this with all you folks, was a good nite overall.
Namaste. :)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

5th TOOL show and couldn't expect anything less. I've been reading about shitty sound and seats... well you got the shit end of the stick my friend. I was in sec 330 row C seat 1 (if you don't know that was center left of the stage pretty much parrallel to MJK and Adam). My sister was in sec. 2?? row Z with a huge fuckin speaker in her way and she couldn't see or hear shit until I told her to come to my empty section with her friends. The sound and visuals could not have been better. The only disappointment to this show was the repetative setlist. last time I was at the Civic Center to see them in '01 they did Eulogy followed by Undertow, I mean who does that? But yes kick ass fuckin show can't wait for Nassau, whose going?
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #27
Level 7 - Loquacious

Small note: Maynard said "Pittsburgh was louder".......he said the same damn thing in Mansfield. And why do I get the feeling he has said that else where also...

Now this isn't meant to sound bitter, but it will. This tour is only exciting for those who have never seen Tool before. The past tours kill this tour without even trying. Anyone who has seen Tool before, would probably agree, that this time around...the Tool guy's are just not really giveing a crap about it anymore.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:12 AM   #28

Bincount™: 1001

Caught the last two songs from Isis and really enjoyed them, when I didn't expect to.

First Tool show ever and I'm somewhat disappointed. It WAS a good show and I did enjoy it, I just expected more. The video visuals were pretty badass, but why don't they put up a big screen? - what's with the semi screen a few feet high behind the band? The laser lighting wasn't spectacular, if you were stoned it was probably cooler. Maybe I was expecting too much but I anticipated feeling much more passionate about being there than I was. The crowd around me was smoking alot of pot, and I think most of them were too stoned to move! (section 103, Row V).

Was ecstatic to hear Lateralus, and 46&2 was awesome - Danny is a fucking machine.

Good show, but far from spectacular.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince With a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you they will kill you. But first, they must catch you - digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 05:21 AM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Funny moment:

Leaving the parking garage some chick walks by me getting in my car and says, "I'm sorry you live here."
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Awesome show! Had amazing seats, section 1 right in front of the stage. Couldn't have been happier with Tool's performance. All you people need to stop complaining about what
Tool did or did not do and just enjoy being able to seem them perform.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 05:43 AM   #31
Level 1 - Lurker

my 2nd show. very excellent. no complaints will be made in this post because ppl who do complain about tool shows don't seem very grateful for how good they really are.

preshow - hartford's a decent town. for me it was a two hour commute. read an interesting interview of justin in some hartford gazette thing. kinda funny. fans seemed very excited (as they should be). Before Isis started i was walking around talking to security and stagehands and whatnot about this and that. just killing time. spotted the set list ahead of time. it was the same as all the other dates before hand.

Isis - better than what I've been told about on these here reviews. It seemed like a band that refused to give up their (semi) hardcore sound but then tried as hard as they could to sound like tool. I'm not a fan of hardcore bands at all but they gave it the best effort i've seen yet. it was decent. also it was the keyboardist/lead guitarist's birthday today (i believe his name was greg). they played a handful of songs and didn't belabor their preformance.

Tool - excellent preformance. they had excellent lights for this show and came out strong with stinkfist. the visuals were very cool; not many from the last time i saw them (their last date in syracuse). the particular jumbotron screen that was facing me was slightly on the fritz but oh well.

sound quality - the quality of sound was the best part of the whole preformance. even for an ice hockey rink it sounded great. i had heard the hartford civic center had decent sound and i was not disappointed. very happy about that. i was surprised how much justin's bass playing is used in creating the illusion of two guitars. i know they were doing some weird effects and he was hitting very high notes. impressive to say the least. if i had to rank the level of musicianship i would say Danny, Maynard, and a tie between Adam and Justin (there was a few mistakes but no biggie).

muscianship - maynard did very well. he reserved himself in the beginning but not too much. rosetta stoned was where he was reeeeaaaallly ripping it up (IMO). justin seemed very in the groove and i thought it was neat that he stood for every song EXCEPT Wings/10K Days (they brought a stool out). Danny played incredible. I couldn't tell from my seat but he may have been singing back-up vocals (i know i heard back-up vox but adam and justin were definitely not mic'd). Adam played almost flawlessly and had some neato variations in some songs. His talkbox solo was on point (except for one particular note but it was no big deal).

maynard - his dancing was very funny. all cowboy related. at one point i think he did the "lawnmower". he didn't talk much but from what i've been told about the latest preformances he spoke more than usual. Before stinkfist he said "wwwwwaaake up!" When the band took the onstage break he did not go elsewhere. he sat right with the rest of the band. then there was a joke about how pittsburgh was louder and their city practically sounds like "Titsburgh". after a few comments about the crowd he said "Next stop: Jersey" (LOUD BOOS from the crowd). MJK: "Peace... Out..." that was it.

visuals/props - a much different setup from the lateralus tour. all white stage (with stage hands wearing white ponchos). the stage became a screen and prolly looked incredible from the nosebleed section. no props of any kind except for a string of lights display designed like the three blue faces (you know that particular painting). the lasers were very neat and some (as well as some particular lights) looked cool when projected on the crowd (it's tough to take your eyes off the band tho). plenty of strobe, plenty of lights timed with the music. solid visuals.

songs - there were some synth intros for ALOT of songs (two that stand out are schism and vicarious; i think schism was the first of many). a few songs into the set maynard started playing a synth that was on a swivel stand. he used it more extensively in wings/10k days. the new faster bridge in schism is reaally really good. song of the night IMO was rosetta stoned. And for those that said the vocals were all screwy when he was using the megaphone: i did not find this apparent. you need to expect some distortion (that's why he's using a megaphone) but overall the words came thru clear enough.

other - maynard often took off his cowboy hat and revealed a cool mohawk. the lasers didn't get used very much until wings/10K days. i like how they reserved their lights and didn't blow their visual load. at the end of the whole preformance some drum heads (with symbols on them) were flung into the crowd. also because the crowd enjoyed the preformance so much and cheered so loud at the end, to appease the crowd maynard coaxed the band into a group hug. it was funny.

that's it. great show. no complaints. hope there's a post-europe tour with a venue around here. piece.

Last edited by drostj2; 10-06-2006 at 05:53 AM..
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

My 5th Tool show (2nd for this tour). First and foremost, Tool is always amazing to witness live, and I'd take any chance I could get to see them anywhere. So, any negatives I have to say are miniscule compared to the positives.

That being said, I think the Civic Center deprived some people of the full "Tool experience". The first thing I said when I got to my seat was "Where the F are the video screens?" I couldn't believe I was going to see Tool without the trademark visuals on either side of the stage (sorry, but the thin video strip behind the stage just doesn't cut it for me.) Also, doesn't Maynard usually get a platform to stand on so people can see him up there? I was on the floor and could barely see the top half of any of the band members. I have to say, though, the laser show was tons better in this closed arena than the ampitheatre in Camden last week. The cloud effect above the crowd was breathtaking.

I've got to agree with many others that the bass was way too loud. This was especially noticeable durring Isis' set. I feel bad for those not familiar with their CD quality sound because you couldn't hear all the intricacies of the guitars. When they had the double bass drum kick in, it almost hurt my ears. I recommend anyone not impressed to give their studio sound a listen. Honest...they are really talented.

Sorry to complain, but after seeing them so many times, its hard not to nitpick. My cousin was a first timer and after the show he said, "Three words. Holy Fucking Shit!" So, I'd say they did pretty well. Once again, Lateralus stole the show for me. I knew the extra lights were going to kick in and I was still amazed by them. It's my favorite live song of this tour. The sped up middle of Schism is just plain awesome. Danny Carey is hiding 2 extra arms somewhere.....he HAS to be. Everything else I'd like to say has already been said. I love Tool. Next stop Jersey. See you there.

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder View Post
I'd just like to finish by giving a shout out to the two balding pear-shaped idiots wearing white tool shirts who were told to get off their chairs about ten times, dude, if you're reading this... you're just not supposed to stand the chairs. maybe pepper spray is a better deterrent than a flashlight in the face?
LOL, those two drunk idiots were almost directly in front of me. It seems like I can't avoid these people lately. I thought they looked like pears too, haha! Twice I nudged the guy to get down because he was blocking everyone. He just would look at me, shrug his shoulders, and grin. I had to wave over a yellow-shirt to shine the light in his face. I got a kick out of them looking at each other and singing along to Aenima though. "...followed by millions of dumbfounded dipshits." Is the end near? ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 06:30 AM   #33
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by recor View Post
great show
the lights & shit were crazy
nothing id expect tool to do
when they sat down & everyone had the lighters up
was very cool
maynard told us pittsburg was louder
& we shouldnt let a place with pit in its name win or soemthing
lateralus ripped
and vicarious
what was up w that?
Tool's guitar and drum techs wear lab coats which i find and i guess everyone else funny
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #34
Level 1 - Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sighanyde View Post
hahahahha funny thing is that in Columbus Maynard did NOT say that anyone else was louder.

i have literally been to HUNDREDS of shows, and when the band sat down at the front of the stage to eat it all up......i swear to christ it was the LOUDEST applause/screaming i have ever heard at any show ever....well.....maybe not louder than TOOl at RED ROCKS back in 02'

fuckin loud though, i was proud to be there :)
Sadly, we didn't really measure up... Gary, their sound tech, has been keeping track of the decibel level of every show. I guess DC and Phoenix are tied for the lead at 110 dB, and Manchester the other night was at a respectable 107 dB, for a smaller arena. We only hit 104 dB last night in Hartford, though... Oh well.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 06:36 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

i was at the mansfield show last friday, and the show last night at the civic center was AWESOME , with being outside you didnt really get all effex of the lazers and fog....so it was like seeing a totally different show for me. they were just incredible.

WAKE UP!!!!

and rock out

, to the GREATEST rock band in FOREVER.....no one can compare to the likes maynard and the boys of tool. the picture i posted is from the show...a little reminder of how much of a great time we all had... and i dont know about all of you but i am just JONZIN' for for another show... hopefully when the get back to the US OF A next year they will return like last time and hit the fleet center in boston and providence RI civic center, along with umass amherst and umass lowell........lets keep our fingers crossed!!!!http://stashbox.org/934/100_0610.jpg

http://stashbox.org/935/100_0594.jpg

i just wanted to tell my girlfriend of 7 years that i love her and want to marry her.....i hope that you had as good of a time as i did last night. ;)
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 06:41 AM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

I was in section 113...The sound was actually much better than I expected for a dump hockey rink...my seats were infinitely better than I imagined they would be, given that the ticket said "limited view"-bullshit, I was 25 feet from Justin, perhaps closer. Maynard was indeed quite animated...as was Justin...I think the Danny's tech was just raising the top portion of a high hat when he came out front, and I think the white lab coat was to reflect the stage lights. Quite frankly...Tool kicked a lot of ass this show, each song was incredibly tight...i saw the Lateralus tour in Providence, RI in 2001 i think...the show where Maynard blew out his voice on Parabola and threw down the mic...the video is on youtube...so I was just glad to see a less bitter Maynard having fun, even if it required ripping on the audience for being too quiet, which they might have been...I know my section was high from the Pot until AEnema, so there was moderate vocal input between songs, mostly just mouth agape awe...myself included...once again...Tool's always worth it...on their worst day they still clean up any band out there.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 07:24 AM   #37

Bincount™: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateTOOLfan420 View Post
Dude, you might have been like right behind me. That picture looks like it was taken from pretty much where I was. Section 103?
All the world will be your enemy, Prince With a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you they will kill you. But first, they must catch you - digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

you guys were near my seat too. i was 102 row n. you guys were definitely up higher than me.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM   #39
Level 4 - Thinker

my first time seeing Tool and hopefully not the last. I thought the show was great but I can definitely see how it doesnt compare to some past shows, especially on the Lateralus tour... I really wish I went 6 years ago. Anyway, it was definitely loud but ear plugs halfway in worked great. They definitely make it way more enjoyable as I can actually hear the music and comprehend it. The lighting was awesome but I wish they used it more earlier. MJK didn't say a whole lot but the whole band performed flawlessly. I hope they come back somewhere close soon.

I was a TINY bit dissapointed that they didn't change the set list at all but it was a very solid list none the less. I would have loved to hear sober or the version of pushit thats on Salival.

The coolest part of the show was when everyone had lighters or cell phones it looked simply amazing.

Could have been better but it was still one of the best shows I've seen.
OFFLINE |  
Old 10-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #40
Level 1 - Lurker

This was my first show, it was truely amazing. I can't really say anything that someone else already hasn't. I am most def gonna go see them again in the spring.

One thing I'm wondering, after 10,000 Days when they sat down and everybody busted out lighters, even though it wasn't very silent, I'm wondering if it was a sorta moment of silence givin what Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days are about.

Lateralus was my favorite part of the show.
OFFLINE |  

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply
Your Reply: