Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Sudafed's Avatar Sudafed
05-14-2006, 08:55 PM

Without analyzing every single word of the song, I just wanted to throw in my thoughts to anyone who is interested.

Based on things I've heard Maynard say about drugs, I believe the song is about how people use drugs for enlightenment but ultimately, when they come down, they forget most of the things they discovered or realize that the drug induced thoughts do not translate into real life.

Thus, the main character in "Rosetta Stoned" is captured by aliens and given this incredibly important information but when he returns, he realizes that he can't remember all of the meaningful things that he experienced.

Just my simple look into the meaning of the song. I apologize if this idea has been brought up before as I haven't been able to sift through all of the posts.

To be honest, I really didn't like this song at all when I first heard the album but now it has become one of my favorites.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Drugs N' Aliens

Without analyzing every single word of the song, I just wanted to throw in my thoughts to anyone who is interested.

Based on things I've heard Maynard say about drugs, I believe the song is about how people use drugs for enlightenment but ultimately, when they come down, they forget most of the things they discovered or realize that the drug induced thoughts do not translate into real life.

Thus, the main character in "Rosetta Stoned" is captured by aliens and given this incredibly important information but when he returns, he realizes that he can't remember all of the meaningful things that he experienced.

Just my simple look into the meaning of the song. I apologize if this idea has been brought up before as I haven't been able to sift through all of the posts.

To be honest, I really didn't like this song at all when I first heard the album but now it has become one of my favorites.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
SpaceMushrooms's Avatar SpaceMushrooms
05-17-2006, 08:04 AM

that sounds pretty good, you can stumble upon some incredible life changing revalations that would even in some cases save humanity!......but....i forgot my pen
Old 05-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
Level 4 - Thinker

Re: Drugs N' Aliens

that sounds pretty good, you can stumble upon some incredible life changing revalations that would even in some cases save humanity!......but....i forgot my pen
05-17-2006, 09:56 AM

from aenima...
"Fuck your short memory"
Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4

from aenima...
"Fuck your short memory"
05-17-2006, 03:12 PM

Drugz N' Aliens... what tool ALMOST named themselves...
Old 05-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

syd_jambi's Avatar syd_jambi
05-17-2006, 03:19 PM

That is a pretty good idea. And also we see when the character comes down, he feels horrible, and he shit his bed. Showing that while you may feel enlightened and great during the experience, the aftermath can be earthshatering.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
Level 3 - Talker

That is a pretty good idea. And also we see when the character comes down, he feels horrible, and he shit his bed. Showing that while you may feel enlightened and great during the experience, the aftermath can be earthshatering.
rogerdoger's Avatar rogerdoger
05-17-2006, 03:19 PM

That's an interesting idea....I've seen so many, I think this song might have multiple meanings, wouldn't surprise me with Tool.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

That's an interesting idea....I've seen so many, I think this song might have multiple meanings, wouldn't surprise me with Tool.
05-17-2006, 03:48 PM

Actually, OP, I think you nailed it. Rosetta Stoned and Lost Keys are songs of lost patience, disgust, and defeat for tool. All these things people could learn from, but they forgot the most crucial variable and don't really give a shit
Old 05-17-2006, 03:48 PM   #7
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 18

Actually, OP, I think you nailed it. Rosetta Stoned and Lost Keys are songs of lost patience, disgust, and defeat for tool. All these things people could learn from, but they forgot the most crucial variable and don't really give a shit
blackandwhite's Avatar blackandwhite
05-17-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Notion
Really?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Notion
Really?

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply