Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Stumble's Avatar Stumble
05-12-2006, 08:57 AM

What has always drawn me to TOOL and fueled my fascination with the band is Maynard's ability to grab an audience by the balls as if he was two feet in front of you speaking these words directly to you in all honesty. As much as this song may have funny bits to it ( i.e shitting the bed) IMO it should be looked at with a more theatrical eye. The protagonist of this story has been given an awesome secret that can not be remembered and no one believes him. His whole expereince is filled with very real reactions and common phrases that could be coupled with such an experience. I find the song is much more effective if you let the journey take you and allow a sense of empathy for the character.By using a sense of empathy the journey becomes that much more theatrical and leads to a more entertaining experience. In theatre you can have a humorous protagonist go through an experience and still draw meaning from it. If anything this song allows us to feel clearly a sense of drug riddled frantic hopelessness, and in that it is a success in my books. It doesn't matter to me whether or not he actually was given a grand secret from an alien race, the struggle to deal with such information with a head full of LSD is enough for me.....for now.

Last edited by Stumble; 05-12-2006 at 09:04 AM..
Old 05-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Rosseta Stoned: Music Theatre

What has always drawn me to TOOL and fueled my fascination with the band is Maynard's ability to grab an audience by the balls as if he was two feet in front of you speaking these words directly to you in all honesty. As much as this song may have funny bits to it ( i.e shitting the bed) IMO it should be looked at with a more theatrical eye. The protagonist of this story has been given an awesome secret that can not be remembered and no one believes him. His whole expereince is filled with very real reactions and common phrases that could be coupled with such an experience. I find the song is much more effective if you let the journey take you and allow a sense of empathy for the character.By using a sense of empathy the journey becomes that much more theatrical and leads to a more entertaining experience. In theatre you can have a humorous protagonist go through an experience and still draw meaning from it. If anything this song allows us to feel clearly a sense of drug riddled frantic hopelessness, and in that it is a success in my books. It doesn't matter to me whether or not he actually was given a grand secret from an alien race, the struggle to deal with such information with a head full of LSD is enough for me.....for now.

Last edited by Stumble; 05-12-2006 at 09:04 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Aggroculture's Avatar Aggroculture
05-12-2006, 10:40 AM

It's a sci-fi rock opera of sorts.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5
Re: Rosseta Stoned: Music Theatre

parables in the world's Avatar parables in the world
05-12-2006, 10:43 AM

Listening to this song is like your on something, but the music is what your on.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 14

Listening to this song is like your on something, but the music is what your on.

Not believing in things won't make it happen because you don't believe it will.

Peace is a physical and spiritual balance.
Stumble's Avatar Stumble
05-12-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggroculture
Yup you got it. This song is also an amazing starting point for a full length sci-fi rock opera. On the other hand if it was ever produced the world as we know it may implode...
Old 05-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggroculture
Yup you got it. This song is also an amazing starting point for a full length sci-fi rock opera. On the other hand if it was ever produced the world as we know it may implode...
05-12-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble
The problem with this being turned into a sci-fi rock opera... is that I don't believe anyone can sound enough like Maynard to satisfy me live. Maynard would definately have to play the part... hmm.... can you picture Maynard in stage makeup on Broadway???

;)
Old 05-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble
The problem with this being turned into a sci-fi rock opera... is that I don't believe anyone can sound enough like Maynard to satisfy me live. Maynard would definately have to play the part... hmm.... can you picture Maynard in stage makeup on Broadway???

;)
Stumble's Avatar Stumble
05-14-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrain
can you picture Maynard in stage makeup on Broadway???
Oh i can picture him covered in blue paint franticly hallucinating while doctors all around him ask stupid questions in the midst of Maynards screams. My life would be complete. Though Broadway wouldn't be Maynards style. It would have to be some back ally theatre. Something like the run down hotel that Hedwig and the Angry Inch was staged in maybe...
Old 05-14-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrain
can you picture Maynard in stage makeup on Broadway???
Oh i can picture him covered in blue paint franticly hallucinating while doctors all around him ask stupid questions in the midst of Maynards screams. My life would be complete. Though Broadway wouldn't be Maynards style. It would have to be some back ally theatre. Something like the run down hotel that Hedwig and the Angry Inch was staged in maybe...

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply