Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
mike009's Avatar mike009
05-11-2006, 12:11 PM

That part of the song is stuck in my head. In fact, I say it aloud regulary. Should i be concerned?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
God Dam, shit the bed.

That part of the song is stuck in my head. In fact, I say it aloud regulary. Should i be concerned?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Nate-Dogg85
05-11-2006, 12:58 PM

no, but u shouldnt waste a post on something like that.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: God Dam, shit the bed.

SCH/ISM's Avatar SCH/ISM
05-11-2006, 01:02 PM

I really hate that lyrics like this are found on a tool album. Personally I'd just much rather sing something like "With my feet upon the ground I move myself between the sounds" then "god damn i shit the bed". *shudder*
Old 05-11-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 190

I really hate that lyrics like this are found on a tool album. Personally I'd just much rather sing something like "With my feet upon the ground I move myself between the sounds" then "god damn i shit the bed". *shudder*
05-11-2006, 02:00 PM

no..unless you have diarrohea.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

no..unless you have diarrohea.
05-11-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate-Dogg85

then why did you waste replying to it. haha, im just messin around, dont take thread's so seriously
Old 05-11-2006, 02:38 PM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate-Dogg85

then why did you waste replying to it. haha, im just messin around, dont take thread's so seriously
mike009's Avatar mike009
05-11-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH/ISM
im sure maynard has his tongue firmly in cheek with that shit the bed lyric.....theres room for that and really deep lyrics
Old 05-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:
im sure maynard has his tongue firmly in cheek with that shit the bed lyric.....theres room for that and really deep lyrics
mike09's Avatar mike09
05-11-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike009
Dude, you need to change your username now.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike009
Get_Ya_Wicked_On
05-11-2006, 02:52 PM

I hope you realize it's a phrase that refers to someone making a big "fuck-up".

(... the guy who forgot the very important message he was given.)
Old 05-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 17

mike09's Avatar mike09
05-11-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Ya_Wicked_On

Most people don't realize that, unfortuanately.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
Banned.

Bincount™: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Ya_Wicked_On

mike009's Avatar mike009
05-11-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike09

haha, nice
Old 05-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

haha, nice
mike009's Avatar mike009
05-11-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:

nowhere was the meaning behind it being discussed...just how i liked how maynard says it...and its been stuck in my head.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
Level 4 - Thinker

Quote:

nowhere was the meaning behind it being discussed...just how i liked how maynard says it...and its been stuck in my head.
rachmiel4's Avatar rachmiel4
05-11-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Weren't you around for Aenima? There were some pretty vulgar lines all throughout that masterpiece, too.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #12
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 43

Quote:
Weren't you around for Aenima? There were some pretty vulgar lines all throughout that masterpiece, too.
SCH/ISM's Avatar SCH/ISM
05-11-2006, 06:27 PM

I'm aware of it meaning, i think its just a lousy lyric. Its not that its vulgar, it just seems childish and immature to me, better suited to a System of a Down song or Anal Cunt, then in psychedelic music. "shit the bed" just doesn't sound cool, it sounds retarded in a tool song and i hate singing it my head. Lets not kid ourselves, better lyrics could have put this song over the top, as well as the rest of the album.

Just my two cents.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #13
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 190

I'm aware of it meaning, i think its just a lousy lyric. Its not that its vulgar, it just seems childish and immature to me, better suited to a System of a Down song or Anal Cunt, then in psychedelic music. "shit the bed" just doesn't sound cool, it sounds retarded in a tool song and i hate singing it my head. Lets not kid ourselves, better lyrics could have put this song over the top, as well as the rest of the album.

Just my two cents.
05-11-2006, 07:50 PM

I actually find it rather humorous also as I have used the phrase for years to mean everthing is all f**ked up. It sums up what the messed up guy in the song is trying to express very nicely.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

I actually find it rather humorous also as I have used the phrase for years to mean everthing is all f**ked up. It sums up what the messed up guy in the song is trying to express very nicely.
rogerdoger's Avatar rogerdoger
05-11-2006, 07:56 PM

I was reading somewhere else about how it refered to a story that Blair posted in one of the newsletters. Apparently one of their friends was camping out at Area 51 and had a bad trip or something along those lines and just woke up covered in his own shit....
Old 05-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

I was reading somewhere else about how it refered to a story that Blair posted in one of the newsletters. Apparently one of their friends was camping out at Area 51 and had a bad trip or something along those lines and just woke up covered in his own shit....
05-11-2006, 07:56 PM

There was a link to the specific newsletter too, and I actually read the part with the story, but I don't remember which issue it was. I'll look for it again, and if I find it I'll post it on here.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 8

There was a link to the specific newsletter too, and I actually read the part with the story, but I don't remember which issue it was. I'll look for it again, and if I find it I'll post it on here.
05-12-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Just my two cents.
we have to understand that it's the guy in the scenerio who says these words. That guy is is NOT trying to write a lyrically elegant song; he's a simple guy who didn't graduate fucking high school and a sort of red neck eating an entire box of Krispy Cremes and drinking coke and wearing birkenstocks etc(probably); so he's narrating the story in HIS language style and expresses himself according to his level...that's why i found this whole song so hilarious. For him to speak in some elegant, cool way would be unnatural and would damage the guy's picture that MJK is trying to paint.

and btw, the part that keep singing in my head is "...but I forgot my pen..." those simple words are never going to be the same for me again...It's amazing how MJK can sing such a simple sentence in such a commanding, powerful voice, and give it a whole new perspective.
Just MO.

Last edited by Washburn; 05-12-2006 at 11:43 AM..
Old 05-12-2006, 11:37 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:

Just my two cents.
we have to understand that it's the guy in the scenerio who says these words. That guy is is NOT trying to write a lyrically elegant song; he's a simple guy who didn't graduate fucking high school and a sort of red neck eating an entire box of Krispy Cremes and drinking coke and wearing birkenstocks etc(probably); so he's narrating the story in HIS language style and expresses himself according to his level...that's why i found this whole song so hilarious. For him to speak in some elegant, cool way would be unnatural and would damage the guy's picture that MJK is trying to paint.

and btw, the part that keep singing in my head is "...but I forgot my pen..." those simple words are never going to be the same for me again...It's amazing how MJK can sing such a simple sentence in such a commanding, powerful voice, and give it a whole new perspective.
Just MO.

Last edited by Washburn; 05-12-2006 at 11:43 AM..
Goodwin
05-12-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:

Just my two cents.
I don't think TOOL gives a fuck what people think of their lyrics/music. (no offence intended) I honestly agree with you that it couldve put into better terms then "shit the bed" but its catchy and I like it. But like I said. TOOL doesn't care much if we don't like it.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:41 PM   #18
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Quote:

Just my two cents.
I don't think TOOL gives a fuck what people think of their lyrics/music. (no offence intended) I honestly agree with you that it couldve put into better terms then "shit the bed" but its catchy and I like it. But like I said. TOOL doesn't care much if we don't like it.
mike009's Avatar mike009
05-12-2006, 06:17 PM

yea the "forgot my pen" part of the song gives me goosebumps
Old 05-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #19
Level 4 - Thinker

yea the "forgot my pen" part of the song gives me goosebumps
evil agent's Avatar evil agent
05-13-2006, 09:23 AM

It is definitely catchy. Maynard may have started something (or renewed it anyway). A lot of Tool fans are definitely saying this all the time for no reason! :)
Old 05-13-2006, 09:23 AM   #20
Level 7 - Loquacious

It is definitely catchy. Maynard may have started something (or renewed it anyway). A lot of Tool fans are definitely saying this all the time for no reason! :)
<FUTANT>
05-13-2006, 10:14 AM

"Overwhelmed as one would be placed in my position..."- Thats the part that gives me the goosebumps
Old 05-13-2006, 10:14 AM   #21
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 6

"Overwhelmed as one would be placed in my position..."- Thats the part that gives me the goosebumps
ProdigyDub's Avatar ProdigyDub
05-13-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, unnecessarily high-minded and pretentious lyrics are always better than down to earth, funny, amusing lyrics.

Seriously, did you listen to Tool at all before Lateralus?

And is that Raja Bell in your avatar? What a joke.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #22
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 29

Quote:
Yeah, unnecessarily high-minded and pretentious lyrics are always better than down to earth, funny, amusing lyrics.

Seriously, did you listen to Tool at all before Lateralus?

And is that Raja Bell in your avatar? What a joke.
CaseLogic
05-13-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Just my two cents.
You need to stop putting pussy on a pedestal
Old 05-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #23
Level 7 - Loquacious

Quote:

Just my two cents.
You need to stop putting pussy on a pedestal
½ - ∑mptﻹ's Avatar ½ - ∑mptﻹ
05-13-2006, 07:38 PM

hahah, I had a tough time with this lyric at first too, wow. I love how just about anything can be a roaring topic because we all listen to this stuff and really love it. not one bit sarcastic. :)
Old 05-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #24
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3

hahah, I had a tough time with this lyric at first too, wow. I love how just about anything can be a roaring topic because we all listen to this stuff and really love it. not one bit sarcastic. :)

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply