Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Asprinbah
05-09-2006, 05:23 AM

Maynard has alot of contempt for people like the narrator. The guy starts off the story eating junk food and later in the song drops the fact that he didnt graduate from High School. Every member of Tool is about self-enlightenment and if you ever take a look at the guys, they are all in good shape. This character is taking psychedelics and camping out in front of a supposed hotbed of alien and military activity. He is using the "blotter" he ingested to get QUICK answers to the questions he has about life/ the universe. As usual, the quick and easy way does not go as planned and the guy fries his brain. If you step back from this song and look at the whole album, Maynard does a lot of of looking at society as sort of faceless and montonous mass. I believe that the narrator from Rosetta Stoned is Maynard's "Everyman". Ya, the guy is taking drugs and looking for alien life, but he is still acting like your typical AMERICAN. Eating shit food and using "aids" to get the answers he wants the easy way.

Last edited by Asprinbah; 05-09-2006 at 10:01 AM..
Old 05-09-2006, 05:23 AM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
This song is possibly a look at our society in general.

Maynard has alot of contempt for people like the narrator. The guy starts off the story eating junk food and later in the song drops the fact that he didnt graduate from High School. Every member of Tool is about self-enlightenment and if you ever take a look at the guys, they are all in good shape. This character is taking psychedelics and camping out in front of a supposed hotbed of alien and military activity. He is using the "blotter" he ingested to get QUICK answers to the questions he has about life/ the universe. As usual, the quick and easy way does not go as planned and the guy fries his brain. If you step back from this song and look at the whole album, Maynard does a lot of of looking at society as sort of faceless and montonous mass. I believe that the narrator from Rosetta Stoned is Maynard's "Everyman". Ya, the guy is taking drugs and looking for alien life, but he is still acting like your typical AMERICAN. Eating shit food and using "aids" to get the answers he wants the easy way.

Last edited by Asprinbah; 05-09-2006 at 10:01 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
Nate-Dogg85
05-09-2006, 09:11 AM

i think that he would be a little more bold and blatant if he were to do that... He tends to include sarcasm of a sort when he is going for that type of thing...
Old 05-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 2
Re: This song is a look at society in general.

i think that he would be a little more bold and blatant if he were to do that... He tends to include sarcasm of a sort when he is going for that type of thing...
?Cogito Ergo Sum?'s Avatar ?Cogito Ergo Sum?
05-09-2006, 10:30 AM

IMHO I would say he has either dosed before or probably at least knows some people who have. (like in another post) I admit to it, and have grown up past it now, but I can relate to the character of the story. During the process the answers seem to be shown, but when it's over you realize you can't remember them and they probably didn't make any sense anyway. It's just a fucking fun ass song to listen too to me as well.
"You look up when you feel the need for elevation. And I look down because I am elevated. Who among you can laugh and be elevated at the same time? Whoever climbs the highest mountains laughs at all tragic plays and tragic seriousness." Nietzsche
Old 05-09-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: This song is a look at society in general.

IMHO I would say he has either dosed before or probably at least knows some people who have. (like in another post) I admit to it, and have grown up past it now, but I can relate to the character of the story. During the process the answers seem to be shown, but when it's over you realize you can't remember them and they probably didn't make any sense anyway. It's just a fucking fun ass song to listen too to me as well.
"You look up when you feel the need for elevation. And I look down because I am elevated. Who among you can laugh and be elevated at the same time? Whoever climbs the highest mountains laughs at all tragic plays and tragic seriousness." Nietzsche

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply