Go Back  The Tool Page: Opinion » Tool » Albums » 10,000 Days » 08. Rosetta Stoned
User Name
Password
Alcawhorlick's Avatar Alcawhorlick
05-04-2006, 07:12 PM

is that what he's saying?

think that's a reference to Space Oddity?
makes sense to me.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Banned.

Bincount™: 17
like the time Dave floated away?

makes sense to me.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote
autumnleigh
05-04-2006, 08:31 PM

http://www.toolband.com/news/index.html

Check out the newsletter.

And then I saw Dave. At first I thought it was just a mirage, but there he was in his van with the Phish sticker, door beads, and embroidered tapestries. I recognized him by his frizzy hair, dressed in a tie-dye tee, Baja hoodie and hemp pants, with the familiar Birkenstocks, kicking the hackiesack...

And now, Dave, too, was dialing in wave-lengths. But I had to wonder whether or not if he ever managed to separate the true vibrations from the discords if someone would have to change him like a baby.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: like the time Dave floated away?

http://www.toolband.com/news/index.html

Check out the newsletter.

And then I saw Dave. At first I thought it was just a mirage, but there he was in his van with the Phish sticker, door beads, and embroidered tapestries. I recognized him by his frizzy hair, dressed in a tie-dye tee, Baja hoodie and hemp pants, with the familiar Birkenstocks, kicking the hackiesack...

And now, Dave, too, was dialing in wave-lengths. But I had to wonder whether or not if he ever managed to separate the true vibrations from the discords if someone would have to change him like a baby.
05-06-2006, 07:50 AM

Oh.
Yeah, I guess I remember seeing that too.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
Banned.

Oh.
Yeah, I guess I remember seeing that too.
smeefsmeef's Avatar smeefsmeef
05-06-2006, 09:36 AM

"ET OR A TESTS ON D"
Could it mean extraterrestrial or acid tests on Dave?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 6

"ET OR A TESTS ON D"
05-06-2006, 09:37 AM

alex grey mentioned last night
that this was in reference to a friend of the band who went to
area 51 and shat himself on acid in his sleeping bag
Old 05-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 801

alex grey mentioned last night
that this was in reference to a friend of the band who went to
area 51 and shat himself on acid in his sleeping bag
05-06-2006, 10:51 AM

Dave is clearly Australian.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=46182
Stillness breathes apex supreme - I walk toward the mountain.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #6
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 13

Dave is clearly Australian.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=46182
Stillness breathes apex supreme - I walk toward the mountain.
M.Luther's Avatar M.Luther
05-06-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeefsmeef
"ET OR A TESTS ON D"
the line is
"got me seeing E mother fucking T"
Old 05-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Suicide Booth ID: 3

Bincount™: 9261

Quote:
"ET OR A TESTS ON D"
the line is
"got me seeing E mother fucking T"
mturi's Avatar mturi
05-06-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
"ET OR A TESTS ON D"
Yeah i was thinking the same thing, i assume your getting that from the newsletter stuff?

This will be my first post, so I dont know if anyone else brought this up already, but I think also worth noting is that within the same newsletter- the last picture of the big rock has "Tool 10,000 Days" written on it.

After that there is also a quote talking about about "...was it time to finally understand now that the Giant Rock had split in two" I'm wondering if this could connect to the song "right in two" and possibly the great message that the narrator from rosetta (Dave?) wanted to give.

Also I don't know if anyone interpretted the title (rosetta stone + stoned) to meaning the deciphering of a (extraterrestrial) message while being high
Old 05-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0

Quote:
"ET OR A TESTS ON D"
Yeah i was thinking the same thing, i assume your getting that from the newsletter stuff?

This will be my first post, so I dont know if anyone else brought this up already, but I think also worth noting is that within the same newsletter- the last picture of the big rock has "Tool 10,000 Days" written on it.

After that there is also a quote talking about about "...was it time to finally understand now that the Giant Rock had split in two" I'm wondering if this could connect to the song "right in two" and possibly the great message that the narrator from rosetta (Dave?) wanted to give.

Also I don't know if anyone interpretted the title (rosetta stone + stoned) to meaning the deciphering of a (extraterrestrial) message while being high
JE Mack's Avatar JE Mack
05-06-2006, 07:15 PM

i thought he said "they" but i think you're right that he says "dave". however, that means the song can't be about dave since the narrator of the story/song (not really maynard) says what is happening is like the time dave floated away. so i wonder who is supposed to be telling the story in the song.

and i guess "stoned' doesn't just refer to drug use but also to being stoned as in attacked by people throwing stones at you. in that sense the title is perfect. drugs-->opening up mind-->to message about humanity/the earth-->ridiculed for claiming anything happened-->failure to deliver the message

i like your idea about "Right in Two" Mturi. Does tool really put clues in their newsletter like that though? i don't follow that kind of news.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:15 PM   #9
Banned.

Bincount™: 3972

i thought he said "they" but i think you're right that he says "dave". however, that means the song can't be about dave since the narrator of the story/song (not really maynard) says what is happening is like the time dave floated away. so i wonder who is supposed to be telling the story in the song.

and i guess "stoned' doesn't just refer to drug use but also to being stoned as in attacked by people throwing stones at you. in that sense the title is perfect. drugs-->opening up mind-->to message about humanity/the earth-->ridiculed for claiming anything happened-->failure to deliver the message

i like your idea about "Right in Two" Mturi. Does tool really put clues in their newsletter like that though? i don't follow that kind of news.
mturi's Avatar mturi
05-06-2006, 08:30 PM

i don't have much to base the "right in two" thing on other than the hypothetical, but blair who writes all the tool newsletters actively buries clues throughout postings. such as pre-emptively posting clues to track titles/release dates/song content/etc. for the new album months before they came out (ex. january's http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2006_01.php).
Old 05-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

i don't have much to base the "right in two" thing on other than the hypothetical, but blair who writes all the tool newsletters actively buries clues throughout postings. such as pre-emptively posting clues to track titles/release dates/song content/etc. for the new album months before they came out (ex. january's http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2006_01.php).
awaking's Avatar awaking
05-06-2006, 08:35 PM

last night alex grey said the song is about a friend of the band named Dave. like has been mentioned a few times. he also said the guy was only in his sleeping bag out by area 51 tripping.. and woke up finding out he shit himself. he meant shit himself like literely SHIT, not messing up with the whole pen thing. im not sure if he says dave there in the song tho.

Last edited by awaking; 05-06-2006 at 08:37 PM..
Old 05-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #11
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 83

last night alex grey said the song is about a friend of the band named Dave. like has been mentioned a few times. he also said the guy was only in his sleeping bag out by area 51 tripping.. and woke up finding out he shit himself. he meant shit himself like literely SHIT, not messing up with the whole pen thing. im not sure if he says dave there in the song tho.

Last edited by awaking; 05-06-2006 at 08:37 PM..
mturi's Avatar mturi
05-06-2006, 09:54 PM

I haven't heard the name Dave in the lyrics, but if you haven't been following the newsletters- on the official Tool site Blair cryptically hinted earlier that the "terrible secret" a new song speaks of is "A or ET tests on D" with D refering to Dave who drives a Van. Months later, in the most recent newletter he shows that this rearanges to "Rosetta Stoned" and at the end of the newsletters story he talks about being able to recognize the hippy Dave by the Phish sticker on his van. I think it's safe to assume the "Tool 10,000 Days" graffiti hidden on the rocks was photoshopped on for a reason, because Blair complains about the graffiti that's at the site w/o acknowledging any Tool related ones, and this was posted before the album came out (unlikely a fan would have gotten to it already).

Last edited by mturi; 05-06-2006 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: speling
Old 05-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

I haven't heard the name Dave in the lyrics, but if you haven't been following the newsletters- on the official Tool site Blair cryptically hinted earlier that the "terrible secret" a new song speaks of is "A or ET tests on D" with D refering to Dave who drives a Van. Months later, in the most recent newletter he shows that this rearanges to "Rosetta Stoned" and at the end of the newsletters story he talks about being able to recognize the hippy Dave by the Phish sticker on his van. I think it's safe to assume the "Tool 10,000 Days" graffiti hidden on the rocks was photoshopped on for a reason, because Blair complains about the graffiti that's at the site w/o acknowledging any Tool related ones, and this was posted before the album came out (unlikely a fan would have gotten to it already).

Last edited by mturi; 05-06-2006 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: speling
jtb
05-07-2006, 12:58 PM

I would imagine that he put the UFO in the top left of that same picture for a reason.. not just to be cute.

I strongly believe there is some way to decipher this song giving a completely new meaning to it. I mean blair said it talks about "a terrible secret", which of course I suppose he could be talking about dave shitting himself at Area 51 but I doubt it.

In fact I would bet this song has more depth to it than any other song Tool has ever written.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
jtb
Level 4 - Thinker

I would imagine that he put the UFO in the top left of that same picture for a reason.. not just to be cute.

I strongly believe there is some way to decipher this song giving a completely new meaning to it. I mean blair said it talks about "a terrible secret", which of course I suppose he could be talking about dave shitting himself at Area 51 but I doubt it.

In fact I would bet this song has more depth to it than any other song Tool has ever written.
Hanover_Fist
05-08-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcawhorlick

makes sense to me.
I agree that's the lyric. However, I wouldn't say the reference is to Bowie's Space Oddity: It's about all of the trippy stuff Dave Bowman sees at the end of the movie 2001 A Space Oddysey as he floats away into the monolith.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #14
Level 3 - Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcawhorlick

makes sense to me.
I agree that's the lyric. However, I wouldn't say the reference is to Bowie's Space Oddity: It's about all of the trippy stuff Dave Bowman sees at the end of the movie 2001 A Space Oddysey as he floats away into the monolith.
05-08-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover_Fist
hmm
I thought I read somewhere that space oddity was a parody/reference to space oddysey.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #15
Banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover_Fist
hmm
I thought I read somewhere that space oddity was a parody/reference to space oddysey.
Hanover_Fist
05-09-2006, 06:06 AM

I agree that Space Oddity has it's similarities and may refer to 2001. Just that Space Oddity's all "Ground control to Major Tom" while 2001 has a Dave actually floating away :)
Old 05-09-2006, 06:06 AM   #16
Level 3 - Talker

I agree that Space Oddity has it's similarities and may refer to 2001. Just that Space Oddity's all "Ground control to Major Tom" while 2001 has a Dave actually floating away :)
moneyisevil's Avatar moneyisevil
05-09-2006, 05:23 PM

hmmm this is all very interesting....the more i think about the whole dave situation blair posted and what alex grey said im thinking this song is just ripping on this dude dave for shittin the bed
Old 05-09-2006, 05:23 PM   #17
Banned.

Bincount™: 2701

hmmm this is all very interesting....the more i think about the whole dave situation blair posted and what alex grey said im thinking this song is just ripping on this dude dave for shittin the bed

Rate This Thread
You have already rated this thread

Quick Reply